Start by marking “Unfinished Tales of Númenor and Middle-Earth” as Want to Read:
Unfinished Tales of Númenor and Middle-Earth

Unfinished Tales of Númenor and Middle-Earth (Unfinished Tales)

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  23,591 Ratings  ·  499 Reviews
Mythic lore and forgotten legends are unveiled in stories of the three ages of Middle-earth unearthed by Christopher Tolkien from his father's archives.

THE FIRST AGE
Young lord Turin fled from Morgoth's forces, wandering in disguise as an outlaw until he could avenge his people against the evil that had razed his home. But Turin lived under the curse of a hateful dragon - a
Published September 12th 1988 by Del Rey/Ballantine Books (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Unfinished Tales of Númenor and Middle-Earth, please sign up.

Michael Galdamez I must say I'm impressed with your collection; my suggested reading order would be:

1. The Hobbit (A good introductory to Tolkien & Middle Earth)
2.…more

1. The Hobbit (A good introductory to Tolkien & Middle Earth)
2. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (direct sequel to The Hobbit)
3. The Silmarillion (mass of background stories)
4. Unfinished Tales (further stories)
5. The Children of Hurin (a fuller telling of a story from The Silmarillion)
6. The Story of Kullervo (an old story by Tolkien, only recently published)

There are in fact more Middle Earth books by Tolkien out there, but they would probably be the toughest to follow of all his books. So I guess I will add:

7. The History of Middle Earth Series (12 Books) https://www.goodreads.com/series/4592...

Hope this helps!(less)

Terry
Jul 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tolkien fans, not Richard
This is the first work that showed us how Tolkien's obsessive perfectionism was a double-edged sword. On the one hand it gave us the wonderfully deep world and implied distances of The Lord of the Rings; and on the other hand it left us with a jumble of tales in various states of revision and development that had to be compiled by Tolkien's son Christopher into some form as The Silmarillion...a jumble of tales that, if they had been finished, would have given us a truly staggering body of work. ...more
Kayıp Rıhtım
Yüzüklerin Efendisi her sayfasında hem edebiyatının yumruğunu masaya vuran hem de kurgusu ve karakterleriyle insanı alıp götüren bir başyapıttı. Fakat Silmarillion adeta akademik bir çalışmaydı. O ana kadar hep büyük ustanın bir dünya kurguladığını, başarılı karakterlere kalemiyle can verip koca kadim topraklarda kaderlerini çizmeye yolladığını düşünmüştük. Oysa ta baştan yanılmıştık. Çünkü Tolkien bir dünya kurgulamadı, hayır. O gerçek anlamda kendi özünden bir dünya “yarattı.” Belki de Eru Ilú ...more
Mission Blue
May 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 28th-book-fair
خواندن درباره ی آردا و جهان خیالی و در عین حال واقعی تالکین، مثل نشستن سر کلاس های تاریخ است! هر کدام از شخصیت ها خاندانی دارد که می توان ردش را حتی تا ظهور الف ها در سرزمین میانه دنبال کرد. برای خواندن کتاب های تالکین (به خصوص یادداشتهایی که پسرش در قالب کتاب چاپ کرده) به قلم و کاغذ و اطلس سرزمین میانه نیاز است. حتی ریشه یابی اسامی و کلمات هم می تواند یکی از کلیدی ترین کار های حین خواندن باشد!
این کتاب درباره ی حوادث نومه نور و دوران دوم آرداست. جالب ترین ویژگی کتاب تشابه بسیار سلطنت نومه نور به
Psychophant
Feb 25, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, reviewed
This is simply a moneymaking scheme. After the success of the Silmarillion, the Tolkien state has published all notes that were in a more or less readable state. This is the only one I bought (besides Chidren of Hurin, which probably has much in common with the bigger part of this book).

I do not think Professor Tolkien would have liked to have these drafts and notes published. Many of them are even obsolete, as he built up and discarded elements in his mythic construct.

There are some great story
Joseph
Jan 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The name says it all -- these are stories primarily of the First and Second Age of Middle-earth that had never quite reached completion, even in draft form; some predate the writing of Lord of the Rings by decades but most come after, and the book includes some of Tolkien's last writings about Middle-earth. The stories are presented by his son Christopher who, presumably, selected the pieces that were nearest to completion and likeliest to be of interest to Middle-earth aficionados. The pieces a ...more
Chris Hall
This is a hard book to rate, because it's sort of like rating a compilation album of Led Zeppelin studio out-takes. If you love Led Zeppelin, you would undoubtedly want to listen to pretty much anything they did. On the other hand, objectively speaking, it's probably not their best work, and if you trust them as artists, you know why they left that material on the cutting room floor. And, indeed, this book is a collection of scrapings, random essays and bits of narrative illuminating obscure cor ...more
Liam
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyed this, it was just so great to learn more about both old and new characters!! Tolkien's middle earth is so rich and beautiful and it was amazing to be able to delve even deeper into it!
Nikki
Nov 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This collection of Unfinished Tales is difficult to get to grips with, because Christopher Tolkien had the sense not to mess with them too much. He didn't correct inconsistencies or do too much to the material, and that's for the best: J.R.R.'s intent and the breadth of his world are best experienced this way, I think.

I don't think this is one for the casual reader, but for someone interested in Tolkien and his creation of a secondary world, and in the details of Middle-earth, it's a good one. E
Sérgio
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Muito poucos foram os livros que, até agora, reli. De entre eles contam-se dois de Tolkien. Creio que não há melhor forma de revelar o meu fascínio por tamanho escritor. Tolkien não é apenas o pai da alta fantasia, é o criador de um mundo paralelo, de tal forma abrangente e profundo que, mesmo passados 100 anos do mote, “num buraco vivia um hobbit”, com o qual começou a obra de toda a sua vida, esta não cessa de nos maravilhar. Forjado na mente de um jovem oficial a partir dos horrores das trinc ...more
Daria
Apr 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: posiadane, favorites
Chyba nie muszę mówić, że to obowiązkowa pozycja dla każdego fana Śródziemia.

Chociaż połowy postaci i miejsc już nie kojarzyłam (jeśli chodzi o Pierwszą i Drugą Erę), ale to jest chyba w pewien sposób zaletą - za każdym razem odkrywasz uniwersum jakby na nowo. Jeśli ktoś nie czytał Silmarillionu, może mieć jeszcze większy problem, żeby się tu połapać.

Uwielbiam historię o Túrinie i Niënor, i uwielbiam absolutnie wszystko, co dotyczy Trzeciej Ery. Ta książka pochłonęła mnie szybciej niż Silmaril
Evan Edinger
Sep 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It took me ages to read, but it was wholly fascinating how much detail lies behind every individual action in Middle Earth. It has inspired me to reread The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings again. I feel like everything will make so much more sense!
Lydia Redwine
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Since I found some of these stories quite interesting and a couple others utterly boring, I've brought my rating to 4 stars. I will say that it isn't a good idea to go into this book unless you are already an avid Tolkien fan. This book is a collection of unfinished pieces (I mean, the title?) from LOTR, The Hobbit, The Silmarillion and other like books.

If reading notes upon notes of what certain things could have meant etc. bores you to death, this book is not for you lol. I did find it all ve
Nihan E.
Nov 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite
Orta Dünya hakkında ne kadar kitap yazılırsa yazılsın, hep anlatılacak bir başka öykü daha vardır sanırım. Gizli kalmış öyküler, bize ulaşamayanlar... Bitmemiş Öyküler'e başlarken heyecanlıydım açıkçası neler okuyacağıma dair ve hayal kırıklığına da uğramadım.
İlk Çağ, İkinci Çağ ve Üçüncü Çağ olmak üzere 3 kısımdan oluşuyor kitap ve her şeyin en başından başlıyor anlatılmaya. Savaş yüzünden ailesini terk etmek zorunda kalan Tuor'un öyküsüyle başlıyor. Kısa bir öyküydü, biraz sıkıcıydı :)
Sonra
Kevis Hendrickson
J.R.R. Tolkien's Unfinished Tales is a terrific book for diehard Tolkien fans, in particular, fans of The Lord of the Rings who have not yet read The Silmarillion. Ever wondered what were the exact events that caused Isildur to lose the One Ring? Or the origins of Wizards? Or what Middle-Earth was like during its First Age? Unfinished Tales helps to shed light on the complex creation of Middle-Earth and the many tales and legends that relate the events in its long and largely tumultuous history. ...more
Kim
May 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Tolkien fans
Shelves: favorites, fantasy
A fascinating look at many of the stories that did not make it into Professor Tolkien's primary works. This is probably one of my favorite books of this well-known mythology.

(view spoiler)
Curtis
Jan 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, collection
I've read quite a few parts of this previously, either due to individual curiosity about specific topics (such as the Quest of Erebor, Istari, Palantiri) or as part of other works (Narn i Hin Hurin – most of which is incorporated in The Children of Hurin), but I had not until now sat down and read all the various tales in order. Already a big fan of Tolkien, as a whole I quite enjoyed the collection, especially since Christopher Tolkien's notes and analysis are kept at a minimum compared when co ...more
Chelseabelle
This book is for the nerdiest of Tolkien nerds. I enjoyed it. There were some chapters that I skipped over because I had no interest in them.. I don't really care about Eorl and I don't really care about the fields of Celebrant, but almost everything else was fantastic. The most dissappointing chapter that I read was "Galadriel and Celeborn," and that's only because it was one of the least finished by Tolkien.

Some poeple say this book was put out there for money, but I disagree. There are a LOT
DMae
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book at a used book store in Rome. I read it in the evenings right before bed and on long train trips. When I was leaving Rome for the last time, I had no room in my suitcase, so I sacrificed that book and left it at the hotel. The cover I selected is the one I left behind. My current copy, also used, is a different edition. Most books I found in that hotel were old guide books. I always wondered if someone found it curious that there was a Tolkien book on the shelf!

This book is a
Danial Behzadi
این کتاب، مجموعهای از داستانهاییه که تالکین تا پایان عمرش نتونسته بود اونها رو به انسجام کلّی برسونه و ببنده. در کتاب اصلی، حدیث تور و آمدن او به گوندولین هم هست که در ایران، اون داستان پیشتر به پیوست فرزندان هورین منتشر شده بود و طبعاً در این کتاب نیست. میشه گفت که کتاب حاضر یک داستان تقریباً کامل، با پایان کمی نامعلوم داره که به زندگی و سرگذشت تار آلداین نومهنوری میپردازه و یک داستان دیگه در مورد گالادریل که در جزئیات دارای اختلافهای زیاده و کریستوفر تالکین همهٔ حالتهای موجود در نوشتههای مختلف ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
Unfinished Tales of Númenor and Middle-Earth, J.R.R. Tolkien
قصههای ناتمام نومهنور و سرزمین میانه - دوران دوم
Thomas Strömquist
In retrospect I'm amazed that I ever managed to drudge through this collection of unfinished and/or abandoned stories from middle earth. But then again, I did once pull myself through the insomnia obliteration that is The Silmarillion. "Rings" fans will not think twice about reading this of course (and will certainly not weigh in my input), but for the rest of us, the original trilogy and The Hobbit goes a very long way.
Jamie
Apr 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, the-inklings
Tonino Mangano
Racconti Incompiuti si presenta come un’opera d’appendice rispetto ai romanzi che si potrebbero definire canonici nella cosmogonia tolkieniana.
Tuttavia, per quanto l’antologia di racconti presentati si configuri come una serie di “bozze preparatorie” di ciò che saranno successivamente le storie contenute ne Il Silmarillion, ne Il Signore degli Anelli e ne Lo Hobbit, risulta essere una vera e propria miniera di tesori, molto di più rispetto a quanto lo siano le due raccolte precedenti, ovvero Rac
Sara
I put off reading UNFINISHED TALES mostly because I feared it would try my patience the way that THE SILMARILLION did. I appreciated the latter, but between J.R.R. Tolkien’s exposition-heavy style and stretching the reading over 3 months, I didn't love it. So, the fact that I had a much smoother and more positive time with UNFINISHED TALES was a huge surprise.

UNFINISHED TALES OF NÚMENOR AND MIDDLE-EARTH is a collection of stories and essays that Tolkien never completed before his death in 1973.
beggs
Jun 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-fiction
Until the publication of The Children of Hurin a few years ago, Unfinished Tales was the third piece of the Middle-earth trilogy. Paired with The Lord of The Rings and The Silmarillion it was a bit of a third wheel; comprised of various stories in different states of completeness with some editorial comments by Christopher Tolkien needed to bridge the gaps and contradictions left by the myriad versions Tolkien authored of most of these stories.

Unfinished Tales actually includes my favorite of al
Lara Hoffmann
Oct 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tolkien, need I say more?

The only thing you should be aware of before reading this book is that, whilst the Silmarillion is a continuous story, the Unfinished Tales are, as the title suggests, an anthology consisting of stories from different points in time in the history of Middle Earth. Some of these stories merely consist of fragments found and commented on by Tolkien's son. The history of Galadriel and Celeborn seems to be even more fragmentary than the other ones, indeed the editor decided
Rodrigo
Aug 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Soy un super fan de "El señor de los anillos" y de Tolkien. Sin duda, los "Cuentos Inconclusos" enriquecen mucho la saga y te dejan con una sensación alucinante, preguntándote si lo inventó todo Tolkien o de verdad existió la Tierra Media. Eso sí, estos cuentos son para especialistas, no sólo fans. Están llenos de referencias a los libros, fechas, nombres en diversas lenguas, sean élficas o "Dúnedáin", además de referencias geográficas e históricas, fechas... Si no tienes en la cabeza toda la hi ...more
Christopher Bashforth
Another surprise present from my lovely wife. Before I started reading I thought it would be about slogging through the First Age chapters before getting to the good stuff on the Third Age – with Tolkien I read everything, even the appendixes. However, I was surprised – the First Age chapters were actually very enjoyable and the Third Age parts were not as good. Having said that though, the best story in the book is the background to the Hobbit. I still think it was amazing that the whole future ...more
Nam
Dec 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book but not meant to any readers. First, it is necessary to read The Hobbit, The LOTR, and The Silmarillion before. Second, it requires more analysis to fully appreciate the book than just casual reading.

The narrative is fragmented and unfinished (obviously). However, by comparing with the texts in the aforementioned books, one can have an in-depth view into how each story evolves and how characters grow.

There won't be any significant new stories in this book so the readers
X
Dec 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Tolkienites
This book has some amazing gems of writing, but alas!, as the title suggests, they are unfinished - as in an abrupt stop in the middle of the story rather than just unpolished. It's such a shame that Tolkien didn't finish more of his works. Christopher Tolkien does an admirable job of piecing endings together, so at least I won't forever be wondering how most of the stories end. I was a bit disappointed that there wasn't more on the Third Age and LOTR, but perhaps that is in other books.
2015 Reading Chal...: Unfinished Tales by J.R.R. Tolkien 1 9 Apr 19, 2015 07:24AM
Goodreads Librari...: French translation wrongly combined 2 30 Feb 13, 2015 02:36AM
Question re: The Children of Húrin 2 19 Jan 24, 2015 05:33AM
Mythgard Academy: Unfinished Tales: General Discussion 1 12 Apr 21, 2014 01:19PM
Did Radagast wholly fail in his quest? 7 97 Aug 13, 2013 11:07AM
  • After the King: Stories in Honor of J.R.R. Tolkien
  • The Philosophy of Tolkien: The Worldview Behind the Lord of the Rings
  • The Origins of Tolkien's Middle-Earth for Dummies
  • The Ring of Words: Tolkien and the Oxford English Dictionary
  • A Gateway to Sindarin: A Grammar of an Elvish Language from JRR Tolkien's Lord of the Rings
  • Master of Middle-Earth: The Fiction of J.R.R. Tolkien
  • The Art of The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
  • Exploring J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit
  • Tolkien: Man and Myth, a Literary Life
John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, CBE, was an English writer, poet, WWI veteran (a First Lieutenant in the Lancashire Fusiliers, British Army), philologist, and university professor, best known as the author of the high fantasy classic works The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings .

Tolkien was Rawlinson and Bosworth Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford from 1925 to 1945, and Merton Professor of English lan
More about J.R.R. Tolkien...
“Fear both the heat and the cold of your heart, and try to have patience, if you can.” 471 likes
“A small oversight, but it proved fatal. Small oversights often do.” 5 likes