Start by marking “Turkey Unveiled” as Want to Read:
Turkey Unveiled

Turkey Unveiled

3.47  ·  Rating details ·  129 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
The definitive book on Turkey's history, completely revised and updated. Hugh and Nicole Pope have comprehensively updated their definitive history of modern Turkey, Turkey Unveiled. Tracing the rise of the country that transformed itself in the twentieth century from an agrarian society to an affluent, prominent republic, this new edition also includes new photos, maps, a ...more
Published June 29th 2004 by Overlook Books (first published June 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Turkey Unveiled, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Turkey Unveiled

مروان البلوشي

ما هي تركيا؟ أو بالأصح ما هي التركيبة المتشابكة التي أنتجت وتنتج الجسم السياسي الضخم المعروف بالجمهورية التركية؟ هذا ما يحاول الباحث البريطاني هيو بوب وزوجته نيكول بوب الإجابة عنه في كتاب Turkey Unveiled. والذي يغطي تاريخ تركيا منذ أواخر عهد الدولة العثمانية حتى وصول رجب طيب إردوغان لرئاسة الوزراء هناك.
ويبدأ بوب كتابه بترديد جملة أصبحت حقيقة متفق عليها بين المهتمين بالشأن التركي، وهي أن تركيا تمتلك تاريخاً غنياً يتكون على سبيل المثال لا الحصر من : طبقات متراكمة من حوليات التاريخ الإمبراطوري، وأن
fatih
Mar 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
Author seems extremely biased about the founders of the Modern Turkey, especially Mustafa Kemal, who recieves dozens of personal attacks throughout the book, including "alcholic", "womanizer", etc. For instance, writer symphatizes "liberal" Turgut Ozal drinking cognac, however, he has no reservation portraying Mustafa Kemal as an alcholic and rigid figure. The book contains few interesting anectodes about prominent political figures, but in general, it is not a detailed and objective portrayal o ...more
Bredo Erichsen
Oct 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting way of describing history. He is not afraid of show his clear view even if it is controversial. Make the history alive and is a "must" to understand Turkey of today. I have increased to 5 stars!
Fatih Talu
Feb 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Türkiye'nin yakın tarihinin kısa bir özetini okumak adına faydalı...

Çok özgün ve orijinal yorumlar yok ne yazık ki... Bizdeki yorumların İngilizceye aktarılmışının tekrar dilimize çevrilmiş hali gibi biraz...
Karen
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Very in depth, a little too much so for my more casual interest. Lots of names, power shifts, allegiances, etc.
Diane
Jan 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Written in the late 1990s, this book covers the history of Turkey from the downfall of the Ottoman Empire until the time that it was written. It is very readable, and the authors have obviously done considerable research. I found it interesting, because while I am very familiar with both the Ottoman period and the contemporary period in Turkish history, I was not that familiar with Turkey's 20th century history. This book did a good job filling in the details.

One of the most interesting things a
Robert Morris
Dec 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
With this book, the Popes provide an informative and fast paced introduction to the history of Modern Turkey. This is hard to do. The political history of the country is confusing, with multiple constitutions, and a number of political parties that have shifted from dominance to complete obscurity over the Republic's 8 decade history. The authors do an excellent job of facing this confusion and drawing out the major themes of the many economic and political developments.

They also have a journal
Jim Rimmer
A hugely informative sociopolitical history of a modern country on a seriously upward trajectory.

Having decided to visit Turkey for the first time later this year I quickly realised I knew embarrassingly little about a country with whom Australia's history is inextricably linked. The authors weave their way through some complex territory with steadiness and verve. They bring to life what could easily have been quite turgid in less talented hands.

Turkey Unveiled also served as a great personal a
myra
3.5

Comprehensive and interesting (appreciated the extra bits of story from various authors and cultural icons -- ex. the princess), but managed to stray from the topic far too often. The paragraphs started from being well developed and thought out, to eventually transitioning very roughly into the next topic. Very little sense of closure felt towards the topics as a whole, left you wondering if the story was actually done, or was just left unfinished.
Atakan Tuncer
This book gives us a portrait of the last period of Turkey in an enjoyable way and may help people to begin to understand what happenned in Turkey since the First World War. But there are a few uncertainities -like the Armenian problems during First World War- which needed to be searched from lots of resources.
Simon Woell
Sep 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a very informative book on modern turkey with references to the history of both turks and asia minor. currently the probably best non-academic book about the issue. very clear language. misses only a broader part on post 2000 turkey.
Tyler
Dec 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Didn't quite finish this - I stopped about 100 pages from the end. Interesting read, but a little more focused on the politics of Turkey than I was looking for. I enjoyed what I got out of it, but it maybe isn't the best book.
Josh
Oct 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid intro to modern Turkish history. Some of the chapters on internal politics got a bit in the weeds, but the more thematic chapters -- addressing Islam, Kurds, relations with Europe, Russia and the ex-USSR, Middle East -- are really good primers.
Poongs
May 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good introduction to understand Turkey and Turkish identity. An easier read than some of the other books. I I would definitely read the author's other book, Sons of the Conquerors: The rise of the Turkish World.
Chuck McGrady
Oct 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish I'd read this book before I went to Turkey since it gives one a broad understanding of Turkey and its history. With Turkey much in the news recently, the book is a good primer for anyone wanting to make some sense of the pressures that Turkey finds itself facing.
Lisa
Mar 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Difficult to rate this book. Amazing in its scope. I appreciate the effort it took to include so much history. But what a slog. I found it informative but not a pleasure to read.
Trish Remley
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Extremely interesting and complicated history. Can't wait to visit in March.
Matthies
Feb 20, 2010 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: History buffs & travelers
Recommended to Matthies by: travel company
In preparation for a trip to Turkey, the history of this small country is portrayed as a struggle between personal freedom and personal slavery.
Elise
Apr 20, 2009 rated it liked it
Crash course in Turkish history, and in many ways, Turkish society. Abandoned, I hate to say. But it was great, up to 1923.
Flora
Feb 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very confusing. I read two books by Pope, one he wrote with his wife Nicole. I think I will try Orhan Pamuk's Istanbul next.
Dan
Jan 29, 2008 rated it it was ok
A bit superficial (journalistic) but very helpful as I headed off to Turkey: gives a good sense of the tensions between the "two Turkeys" (urban-secular and rural-religious).
Marisa Reisman