Start by marking “Mauprat” as Want to Read:
Mauprat

Mauprat

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  304 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Mauprat (1837) is the romantic tale of a "wild" man civilized by the woman he loves. Deeply engaged with Rousseau's pedagogical treatise 'Emile, and with contemporary debate concerning inherited and acquired traits and tendencies, Mauprat is an expression of Sand's Utopian vision of a
relationship governed by free choice and equality. Naomi Schor's introduction explores the
Paperback
Published June 1st 2006 by Echo Library

Jim
Nov 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Although it is much less popular today and is now confined more to genre fiction, melodrama is still a major literary form today. George Sand (real name: Amandine Lucile Aurore Dupin) was not only one of the great writers of the nineteenth century but perhaps one of the high water marks of melodrama.

Mauprat tells the tale of Bernard Mauprat, a scion of a family of French brigands, called the "hamstringer Mauprats," who saves and falls in love with his second cousin Edmée, who comes from a more
Shari
Oct 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: classic
Reading an author for the first time, whose works are now very much considered classic, can often be daunting. It’s not only that you feel obliged to like or praise his/her work (because it’s a classic), but you also feel wary about your reception, if not understanding, of the author’s narrative style in spite of the numerous reviews, studies and recommendations. Mauprat is my first Sand and so I bore these feelings when I tackled this book. Would she read like Jane Austen? Guy de Maupassant? Wi ...more
najla
georges sands pulls out my thirteen year old self who didn't know how to talk to anyone and frequently fell down because of trying to walk while reading. i devour her like caramel corn. some have jane, i have george.
Emily
Jan 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a complex novel, looking at themes of love & education & idealism as represented in the relationship between a young man and a young woman, set against the backdrop of 1770s France on the brink of revolution.

It starts a little slowly, which is so absolutely not the fashion in these days of hit-the-ground-running storytelling, but! I absolutely encourage you to persevere, if you choose to read this novel! It is extremely readable and charming.

The broad gist of the story is as foll
Silvery
Mauprat is, in a sense, an allegory of the last days of feudal France as it yielded to the new ideas brought in by the French Revolution.

El miedo del infierno es la única fe de las almas viles.

Apresuraos de tener un consejero franco, un amigo severo y no querais al que os adula, si no al que os corrige.
Helynne
Jun 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Annie
Jul 12, 2010 rated it did not like it
I often find references to George Sand in other books I'm reading. It seems to be a sort of short-hand to describe a sort of character, like saying that someone is reading Radcliffe. If this is the case, the authors seems to be suggesting that the characters has an extremely high tolerance for boring books, and I think I do have a pretty high tolerance for boring books, but this book was too much for me.

Part of my frustration was Bernard's adolescent obsession for his second cousin, and the cou
Hélène Robitaille
un peu trop mélodramatique à mon goût (mon dieu...) "ahhh, je vous aimes trooop que je vous tuerrrais...!!!!!". mais à part ça sa va (ouais, sauf que bien maigre est l'histoire si on l'ampute des moments d'amour torturé en faisant taire les amoureux au supplice...). heureusement, on a échappé à la catastrophe du saint ascète guide spirituel étoupeur de fantaisie et de liberté d'esprit (dieu est si bon, nous devrions tous imiter l'ascète, il est si pieux), ouf! mais bon, George Sand, ce n'est pas ...more
Kate
Mauprat is the stirring tale of a woman who meets a distant cousin and finds him hot, but not genteel enough to marry. Therefore she dicks around with him for seven years, during which many things happen. But actually she's probably right, she probably shouldn't have married him prior to his years of hardship, which made him less of a dick, even if he was a stone cold fox.
Steve Gordon
After reading Black City, I wasn't sure Sand was my cup of tea (apart from the obvious political sympathies), but this was a very good read. Though Bernard's "love spewing" at times grew a little repetitive and unnecessary, the characters of Patience and Marcasse added much to the enjoyment of the novel.
Sugar
Jan 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
One unique book and romantic love story, placed in the heart of Revolutionary France. The events happen with so many interesting obstacles, so much passionate love, which leads the reader to the deep forests of reasons and soul. This book totally deserves to be read, also will be in my memory.
Cynthia Hart
Pride, passion and rascal chevaliers. Dramatic and theatrical. Easy to imagine as play.

Lora Grigorova
Aug 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Mauprat: http://readwithstyle.wordpress.com/20...

Remember the children’s fairytale about beauty and the beast: a beautiful lady falls in love with a man despite his terrible and scary appearance and his evil character. With her love, compassion, and understanding, she manages to transform him into a loving and caring individual and as a bonus he turns into a beautiful husband.

There is a reason this plot found itself expressed in a children’s fairytale. It is far too naive and simplistic, yet it
Stephen Brooke
Nov 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
An adventure, a love story, but with something more to it than mere action and hackneyed boy wins girl — that is “Mauprat.” Yes, the action and boy/girl plot is there but redemption or, even, salvation is the underlying theme here. And it is in no way subtle.

Once one gets beyond the slow opening – all that introduction and back-story is perhaps not really needed – the tale takes off, exploring the question of nature versus nurture. Can the rough young Bernard Mauprat be educated into being virtu
Arlene
Oct 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
Wasn't sure about this one at first. I put it on my kindle because I had seen references to George Sand in other books I have recently read. This is a genre that I don't have a lot of experience with, pre-revolution French literature. The further I read, the more I appreciated this book. This is more about philosophy and world view and changing more's than it is about plot. It is about enlightenment, both personal and in a larger social context. Themes of feminism, feudalism, revolution, and hum ...more
Brady Fish
May 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I really enjoyed the beginning of this book. George Sand has a way of describing the abduction scene with succinct paragraphs. The portrayal of the pirates is also well done and Bernard's quick decision to act against their will and plots caused me to fall in love with the complexity of Edmee and Bernard before the first sequence was completed.

This classic often goes under the radar and I never hear/heard professors/peers/modern authors reference this book. Many educators rave about the prowess
Cathy Nove-josserand
A favorite passage: "...man is not made for that selfish concentration of despair which is know as resignation or stoicism. No man can cease to have a regard for his own honor without at the same time ceasing to feel the respect due to the principle of honor. If it is grand to sacrifice personal glory and life to the mysterious decrees of conscience, it is cowardly to abandon both to the fury of an unjust persecution."
Tom
Apr 16, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finished this book yesterday on the train. A decent book, albeit a little too melodramatic in some places, mainly the scenes between Bernard and Edmee. George Sand had some really god ideas concerning how women were thought of in 1837, why the Revolution had to take place, and how two different people could live together. A really interesting read.
Stacey
Sep 13, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
I'm not enjoying this book very much. I got a lot out of the introductory material, but after launching into the novel, I'm finding I have to force myself to read it. My guess is that I'll return this book to the library without finishing it. What is bothering me about the book is that Sand tells us what she wants us to know instead of showing us.
Joshua
Mar 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book ranks up with the best I have ever read. I couldn't put it down, filled with life, love, and redemption. The characters are so alive, they resonate, represent us. Read this book, you will not be disappointed.
T.
Dec 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: french-novels
This is the first George Sand novel I have read. Written in the mid-1800s, it suffers from the wordiness common to much of the writing of this period. While the story is a good one, compared to "Beauty and the Beast," it takes to long to tell it.
Ionut Tiu
Mar 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: ro, biblioteca
It is a romantic drama based on the power of love to change the destiny of a man who has the bad luck to be born in a family as the Mauprats. The story keeps you hooked form beginning to end and only sets you free after the whole drama unveils.
I recommend it warmly.
Catherine Mickus-beziat
J'ai enregistré un livre sur BookCrossing.com !
Fritz Galt
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the most intriguing and observant and philosophically confounding books I have ever read.
Lauren
Jan 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
A book to really think about.
Louise
2 Stars

'It was ok' pretty much sums it up, but I might write a full review later.
Dec 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my top three favorites. The best love story ever.
Lise
Feb 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
About love and education.
Rita O'Connell
Mar 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Liked it, but it was heck of frustrating. Dang! The games you had to play in the name of love. I guess it's the same now, which is why I refuse to be anything but soltera.
Read Women: Mauprat by George Sand 13 31 Jan 15, 2016 10:31AM
  • The Crime of Sylvestre Bonnard
  • The Horseman on the Roof
  • The Abandoned Room
  • Indiscretions of Archie
  • The Decadent Reader: Fiction, Fantasy, and Perversion from Fin-de-Siècle France
  • The Earth (Les Rougon-Macquart, #15)
  • Winter of Artifice
Amantine Aurore Lucile Dupin, later Baroness (French:baronne) Dudevant (1 July 1804 – 8 June 1876), best known by her pseudonym George Sand (French pronunciation: [ʒɔʁʒ sɑd]), was a French novelist. She is considered by some a feminist although she refused to join this movement. She is regarded as the first French female novelist to gain a major reputation.

Sand's reputation came into question when
More about George Sand...

“We cannot tear out a single page of our life, but we can throw the whole book in the fire.” 580 likes
“She discovered that a great deal of the suffering in this world is due not so much to original sin, but to a kind of original stupidity, an unimaginative, stubborn stupidity.” 5 likes