Start by marking “Graphic Style: From Victorian to New Century” as Want to Read:
Graphic Style: From Victorian to New Century

Graphic Style: From Victorian to New Century

This visual survey of graphic design styles through the ages is an essential resource for designers, art and design students, and art lovers. With more than 700 illustrations, it is the only wide-ranging history of graphic design to be completely visual, and many readers treasure it for its amazing trove of images. This new edition has been brought completely up to date, ...more
Paperback, 3rd Edition, 280 pages
Published February 1st 2011 by Harry N. Abrams (first published October 15th 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Graphic Style, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Graphic Style

Black Elephants
Graphic Style is a timeline of graphic design from the Victorian to digital era. It's a book that you don't read so much as flip through. It's good for reference but it doesn't do much to add dimension to the different styles.
Colleen Venable
Beautifully laid out (they must know someone in graphic design or something). Engaging and incredibly informative, this is the best historic breakdown of graphic styles in poster art that I have ever come across and lordy-lordy they sure don't skimp on the pictures. Worth every single penny and 20,000 more.
Johannah
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-done, school
I used this book for my course this year and I read it from front to back and I think it has some awesome inspiring images in it as well as some great information about different type periods of design.

And yes, I'm totally counting this as something I read, because I did. Granted, I was forced to because of college. But at least I enjoyed it.
Brad
lengkap kap kap.. :)
Troy
Mar 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: prettytolookat
Just not what I expected. The examples are fine, but instead of an overview of minor and major art movements and styles, I get a mishmash of confused history.
Elang Cakra
Mar 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
It's not only a book it's a time machine
Hazel
Aug 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book features in my blog post about essay resources: https://hazelstainer.wordpress.com/20...
Daryl
Jan 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: design
i LOVE IT! 95% images, perfect for design history. I look here for inspiration weekly, at least.
Yosephine Dea
Mar 11, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aa1
GOOD
Kristina
A great source of inspiration.
Dan Creasey
Aug 25, 2016
Fábio Portugal
Aug 03, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Steven Heller writes a monthly column on graphic design books for The New York Times Book Review and is co-chair of MFA Design at the School of Visual Arts. He has written more than 100 books on graphic design, illustration and political art, including Paul Rand, Merz to Emigre and Beyond: Avant Garde Magazine Design of the Twentieth Century, Design Literacy: Understanding Graphic Design Second Ed ...more