Start by marking “Take the Cake” as Want to Read:
Take the Cake

Take the Cake

3.44  ·  Rating details ·  1,177 Ratings  ·  89 Reviews
Sometimes you just have to take life one cupcake at a time. Kate Shannon is happy with the way things are. Granted she lost her parents at a young age, but she has made a good life for herself which includes a legacy of misheard song lyrics and a malfunctioning gaydar. Kate doesn't have a Mr. Right, or even a Mr. Right Now, but what she does have is a thriving bakery in Gr ...more
Published August 31st 2010 by Omnific Publishing (first published August 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Take the Cake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Take the Cake

Elletee
Apr 11, 2011 rated it liked it
A lovely light happy romantic story. No angst, just loads of sweetness. Sometimes that's just what you need.
Sandra
Sep 08, 2010 added it
Weronika
Sep 02, 2011 rated it it was ok
This might be the longest book I've ever read that literally was about nothing. I mean how many times can a person read "hey boss" -"Wren don't call me boss" - "Sorry boss"?! it was ridiculous!! Don't get me wrong it started out great, I loved Michael and David as well as the girls but it was just way too long. You would think the author would want to change it up a little after a while but nope the same thing with every chapter that just made me go crazy and at the end I had to skip some of tho ...more
Lisa Langdale
Jan 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
What a fun and sweet book. For years I've wondered if an author could pull off a book that didn't have some huge cliff hanger or major dramatic event. I finally figured that it wasn't possible to pull off such a book in a way that would keep the reader's attention. I was wrong. Sandra Wright did it! This is such a beautiful story of personal growth, new friendships, romance, and overcoming fears. What I really loved was how the characters communicated with each other when times got tough or when ...more
Prerana
Apr 10, 2017 rated it liked it
I don't know quite what to make of this book, so I'll leave the review for later.

some time later . . .
Once again, my previous words still stand. I don't know quite what to make of this book.

Let me explain to you what kind of books I read.

Everything.

But good books are more up my alley.

What makes a good chick lit or romance for me?
- I know that chick lit or contemporary romance usually doesn't have a complex plot with varying subplots because that just isn't what chick lit is. However, I do expect
Anastasia
Jan 19, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: downloaded
I tried so hard to enjoy this book and finish it but I got SOOOO bored with it! It took too long to develop the obvious plot line. I loved the daily board sayings but other than that this book was a bore!
Victoria
Dec 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Megan
Jul 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you want a complete funny happy romantic read then pick this book up.
The characters (all of them) are wonderfully witty.  A lot of the time I don't like when there is to many stories going on but not with Take The Cake.  The main story in the book is straight out LOVE.  Romantic love, Family love & Friendly love.

For Kate and Michael's story was a light hearted fall in love all the way type of story. You really follow this couple from start to finish.  It isn't a quick wham bam I love yo
Traci
Nov 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Full disclosure, this is one of the authors I do marketing for. However, this is my personal goodreads account, so I feel good about saying that the characters in this book are all people you want to know. They are warm and fuzzy and really really funny, and at least one of them makes good coffee, so, you know: yes please. This is the perfect book for when you want a lovely little semi-bohemian life in NYC, but just don't have the time. You can jump into theirs for a while! :)
Yve
Jan 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Sometimes you just need a happily ever after story and Take the Cake certainly delivers!! Michael & Kate's romance is as sweet as some of the cupcakes described within the book, and I certainly love the daily quote/cupcake war that Wren & Kate had going. If you're looking for a lighthearted, feel good story without all the angst that is present in most books these days then I suggest you give Take the Cake a read.
Natasha
Nov 13, 2012 rated it really liked it

It was a good easy read. Sometimes it's good to have a book with limited drama. It was a tad bit long but all good. Good for a first novel :) looking forward to see what else this author produces. Anyone who can put themselves out there by writing and accepts all forms of feedback positive or negative shows strength and that they believe in what they do.
Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness
3.5 sugar coated stars !.

LOL cause gosh ! this story was the LONGEST but the SWEETEST book ive ever read.. :)definatly going to miss MICHEL & KATE...and the "quote of the day " those always made made me smile....
Cheryl Dobson
Sep 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Love this book for many reasons - great characters that feel very real, a charming, feel-good story, delicious-sounding cupcakes and, oh, I've been friends with the author for many years now and have watched her growth as a writer so it is phenomenol to see her in print!
Kayla
Jan 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely brilliant! It's one of those feel good books that you can't put down. I would recommend it to anybody.
Andrea
Oct 25, 2012 rated it liked it
solid 3, sometimes 3.5. lighthearted, fun, & quirky love story. definitely got tired quick of the "morning boss", "don't call me boss" banter.
Suzanne
Dec 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Beautiful happy read. Light, thoughtful. Perfect answer after reading a dark book. Lovely.
Arlyn
Jul 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
so good... i love wren's character... and michael is so sweet.
Amy
Oct 11, 2012 rated it liked it
This was a fun book. The quote/cupcake of the day kept me laughing. Kate and Michael's relationship was sweet but I really found Wren interesting. All in all it was a cute stroy.
Ang
May 11, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I hate to say it but I am bored. There is nothing happening. Way to slow and no real juice to keep me interested.
Yelitza Tasaico Garcia
it was boring but cute. no real spark though. I had a good laughs with the characters in the book so that's a plus. it just upsets me bc this book has some real potential to be more.
Daniell

Sweet story, it was just too uneventful... I kept reading to get to the 'point', but it never happened...
Mónica
Mar 27, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It took me forever to finish it. I had high expectations of the book because of the recommendations I got from reading other books similar to this one, but I was barely able to finish.
Kerry
Dec 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A wonderfully sweet story about a fabulous group of characters
Alesha
Aug 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a cute book
Lavonda Russell
Dec 21, 2012 rated it did not like it
this book was boring from start to finish. I kept waiting for something interesting to happen. It never did.
Jeni
Aug 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book was sweet, pun intended. :)
Aug 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
LOVED the quotes back and forth for the cupcakes!

This is a cute story and I liked it very much.
Dawn Barber
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: a_paperback
Read this one chapter at a time, and then the published version. Finished re-reading on a beach trip and just what I needed! Soft and fluffy with minimal angst and of course revamped my love for cupcakes!
Andrea
Mar 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
It was a great book; an interesting read. While there was no major conflict, which kind of had me waiting/wanting for just a bit of drama, I still found myself enjoying the writing style and the characters. It was nice to see how they developed and how their relationships progressed. Another great aspect of this book was the quote/cupcake war. The quotes were great and the cupcakes sounded mouthwatering & the bakery itself seemed like a quaint little place to hang around in; I found myself w ...more
Cynthia Jones
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable, romantic story

I really enjoyed this book from start to finish. The characters and the story are very genuine, and easy to read.

Kate and Michael are destined to be together, as are the other couples in the book. It is fun to watch as their associations develop over time and how many are intertwined outside the primary friendships.

The backstory which is explained and develops between Kate and Tom is very believable, especially in today's world. I will not divulge it as I hate reviews w
  • Passion Fish
  • Three Daves
  • The Way That You Play It
  • Once Upon A Temptation
  • Welcome to Drama Academy
  • The Golden Apple of Discord (The Discord Trilogy, #1)
  • Starlight (Starlight Trilogy, #1)
  • Cocktails and Dreams (Cocktails and Dreams, #1)
  • Little Battles (Old Wounds, #2)
  • Indivisible
  • Black and White
  • A Multitude of Sins
  • Magic at Macy's

“Worrying is like a rocking chair:  it gives you something to do but doesn’t get you anywhere.” 0 likes
“But being happy can come and go; contentment is a kind of core happiness that lasts a lot longer.” 0 likes