Start by marking “The New Father: A Dad's Guide to the First Year” as Want to Read:
The New Father: A Dad's Guide to the First Year

The New Father: A Dad's Guide to the First Year

How can you become an effective, involved father when you see your baby only briefly after work? What is the best way to start saving for your childGCOs college education? The answers to these questions and hundreds more are found on the pages of this easy-to-follow, information-packed volume. Author Armin Brott devotes a chapter to each month of the first year. In each ch ...more
Published May 1st 2004 by Abbeville Press (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The New Father, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Father

Rebecca
Feb 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting
I started reading this because someone recommended it to my husband, and so it was lying around. I'm rather grateful to the guy who recommended it.

During pregnancy, I bumped up against a number of materials aimed at dads, and was frequently annoyed by them. So many of them seemed condescending to me, acting as if guys are more interested in football and have be to coaxed into learning about their kids. But at the same time, I can see the need--an awful lot of the parenting guides are aimed, whet
Corey Thibodeaux
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The purple bags under your eyes give away the struggle. Your house is now a vessel for toys and collateral damage. You look back on what you endured and, with a single tear sliding down your face, you say, "We did it. We kept the little one from destroying himself."

That, my friends, is the first year of parenthood.

When you have a child, you are inundated with advice that may or may not work for you. Every child is different. With that being said, it's very difficult to judge any parenting book,
Chad Warner
Mar 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: expectant fathers, new fathers
Recommended to Chad by: Armin A. Brott
A practical guide to a baby’s first year, written for new fathers. Each chapter explains how the baby is developing physically, intellectually, verbally, and emotionally/socially. It then explains what you (the father) are feeling and experiencing. The book’s information and advice are based on academic and clinical research, studies, and expert opinions, as well as anecdotes from the author and his acquaintances. The author includes just the right amount of humor to make it entertaining.

The aut
David Marino
Nov 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
This is my second "New Father" book I have read by Armin Brott, and I must say, I'm far more disappointed in this one than I was with "The Expectant Father".

The first issue I have with this book is the accuracy of the information. Since this book was written in the 90's (and hasn't had a newer edition since 2004), most of the resources, references, and facts are woefully out of date. For instance, bumpers are considered a "no-no" in cribs these days, but Mr. Brott goes out of his way to recomme
Elyssa
Nov 08, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
Another winning book for new fathers by Armin Brott. In this book, he provides guidance on a month-by-month basis for a child's first year of life, including developmental milestones, how the mother is likely feeling, and how the father is feeling. This is written in the spirit of equally shared parenting, which is both rare and refreshing. It was hard for me to find books for fathers that weren't overly humorous or reduced fathers to helpless and clueless caregivers who are advised to just let ...more
Lauren Paletta
SUPER DETAILED. I was kinda overwhelmed, but was worth the read. Will referencing to this throughout the first year. A little too much information for me right now.
Barry
Wow, this author is the epitome of cheese. He is writing exclusively to men, but I don't know one guy who'd make these kinds of super lame jokes. I'm giving 2 stars because there was some interesting and factual knowledge coming out of the book, but man, those jokes, sprinkled constantly throughout the book had me cringing inside. Hoof, painful. I will not read any more of his books - no way, no how, thanks and goodbye, good riddance.
Zeshan Syed
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting
In my culture, it is unconventional to read a book on parenting. People would joke about such a notion and look at you condescendingly. If you can relate to such a situation, then this book is for you. It is for the curious father who is uncomfortable about asking "silly" questions on parenting for fear of eliciting a sententious response.

This book is a combination of a user manual, on fathering, and a self-help book. It is laid out in a structured format that makes it accessible and easy to us
Chad
Feb 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: parenting
Just like the previous book by Armin Brott, "The Expectant Father" the strength of this book is giving concise information to help a new father navigate the new bold world of having a baby. He does a good job of giving relevant information that seems to be well researched but not overpowering the reader with too much information. It is a good balance to read through and but there are certainly better resources for reference when you need help on a specific issue. The weakness of the book is more ...more
Chad Walker
Aug 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Equally good as his "What to Expect" book, and chock-full of similarly useful information. So why only four stars? The whole idea is kind of preposterous: my hat off to any new parent who can honestly stay awake to make it through the whole thing. Gathers more dust on my night table than the other one did, as I play with my son instead.

Still, a great reference. And every 3am session you spend staring into space, head a rising mixture of panic and exhaustion, eyelids heavy like lead, as your chil
Hu
Jun 04, 2018 rated it did not like it
Another parenting book filled with anecdotes that may or may not apply to your kid. Save yourself the time and skip this.
Jack
I finished this book just in time for my daughter's birth (my wife's due date is in 5 days). The book is divided up into chapters for each month of a baby's first year of life (including the 12th month). My plan is to go back and re-read the upcoming month along with my daughter's aging to refresh the knowledge I gained from reading this book.

While I was reading this book, I made more than 150 highlights; which I'm assuming also includes bookmarks as I made quite a few of those as well. This boo
Stephen Damm
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is one of the better examples of books written for new fathers. It is informative, well-written, and (most importantly) not stupid. So many are written to some imagined "Dude Bro". Just the covers and blurbs for most of this genre turned me off (patronizing and condescending, etc.).

It's well organized, with chapters for each month of the first year (the first few chapters cover shorter periods). It covers what is going on with the partner/mother, and what the fathers-to-be are generall
Peter Knox
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Like the previous, The Expectant Father, this guide takes you month by month through the first year of the baby's life. That's an extremely helpful template/pace, as you're overwhelmed by everything else but you're slowly learning alongside your child exactly what you need to know. I especially appreciated the quiz in the middle to help determine how easy/challenging your child is with certain behaviors as well as the section on introducing foods.

Dads, there's lots of guides out there but this
Kumar
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have been following along this book over the last year. Each chapter tells me what I can expect the next month in the development of my baby and how can I be ready for it. It has definitely made me sound more intelligent and engaged in child rearing to my wife, when I can suggest solutions to problems that she has been facing or can expect to face. It also allowed me to develop my own opinions on developmental issues - again handy when these opinions are requested by my wife. Strongly recommen ...more
MacK
Like any first time parent, I needed as much help as I could get. I wouldn't say that this book gave me everything I needed to be a world class dad, it did do a great job of helping me mentally prepare. Even now after the first year is done it's telling how some lessons are ingrained in my brain (particularly diaper systems and napping supports). Ultimately, you learn most by trying, failing and trying again. But to prepare you mentally, if not practically, this book is quite valuable.
Jon Clemons
Dec 04, 2018 rated it liked it
A bit too high level for what I was looking for. Would have enjoyed more info on the micro such as baths and a detail that eases my concerns such as why babies hiccup so often.

All in all it's not bad. Just not what I was hoping for. The great part of this book is it goes over periods of life from the perspective of the mother, the baby and the father.

It starts a bit late. Would have enjoyed more prebirth content.

Not a bad read. Not a slow read. Just nothing amazing.
bukwa
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bardzo dobra, praktyczna książka dla młodego stażem ojca. Pokazuje, jak rozwija się dziecko każdego miesiąca w obszarach fizycznym, społecznym i intelektualnym. Przedstawia także zmiany w relacji rodziców i zwraca uwagę na sprawy, które dotykają ojca w pierwszym roku życia dziecka. Dziękuję Kuba za polecenie!
Adam Colby
Jan 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: purchased-books
Not as good as The Expectant Father but it had some valuable insights. The information is straight forward and helpful. You do have to understand that every child is different and this is general advice.
Mike
Nov 03, 2018 rated it liked it
It's a good source of information per month of a child's first year developmentally. I think that is the most helpful thing of the book, to know how you can play with your child and what to expect based on their age.
Dylan Allabaugh
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book really helped put my mind at ease during the first year of my daughters life. The whole time I kept worrying I was messing up somehow and wasn't doing a thing right. When moments like that would come I would consult this book and realize I was doing everything the proper way.
Bodo Tasche
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
Really nice book. Sadly around 20% is rather US centric and can't be used here in Germany, but if you skip that, it's still worth reading.
David
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Useful advice and milestones

Really appreciated the in depth list of milestones each month. This was the first book I took a year to read on purpose!
Christopher Fowers
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Much like "The Expectant Father". Easy read and fact filled. This has been my baby bible for the first 6 months of my daughters post-natal life. Must read for new dads!
Ignacio Acosta
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good book, wish it got the same attention as the first one.
Mark
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Easy and informative read.
Blake
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Plenty of helpful tips and tricks for the new father. I recommend this book to any new fathers I come across. I enjoyed the ability to follow my daughters progressions along with the book.
Horacio Oliveira
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not as good as Donald Barthelme's The Dead Father, but it's alright.
Balazs Csergo
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really comprehensive guide on fathering for the first year. Definitely going to buy the next book in the series, as I did with the one before it. Thanks Armin!
Amarendra Bandla
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A must read for every new father!

• Be Prepared: A Practical Handbook for New Dads
  • The New Dad's Survival Guide: Man-to-Man Advice for First-Time Fathers
  • The Baby Owner's Manual: Operating Instructions, Trouble-Shooting Tips & Advice on First-Year Maintenance
  • A Christmas Carol (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Heading Home with Your Newborn: From Birth to Reality
  • The Three-Martini Playdate: A Practical Guide to Happy Parenting
  • Your Baby's First Year
  • The Complex: Mapping America's Military-Industrial-Technological-Entertainment-Academic-Media-Corporate Matrix
  • A Man, a Can, a Plan: 50 Tasty Meals You Can Nuke in No Time
  • The Mutiny on Board HMS Bounty (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Jazz
  • Rules of Thumb
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Mad: Some Weird People in American History
  • Scientific Secrets for Raising Kids Who Thrive
  • What's Going On in There? How the Brain and Mind Develop in the First Five Years of Life
  • The Last of the Mohicans
  • Guitar Man: A Six-String Odyssey, or, You Love that Guitar More than You Love Me
  • A Power Stronger Than Itself: The AACM and American Experimental Music
“REACHING GAMES To encourage your baby to reach and to expand her horizons, try holding attractive toys just out of her reach: above her head, in front of her, to the sides. See how close you have to get the toy before she makes her move. Remember, the object here is not to tease or torture the baby, it’s to have fun. You can add another layer of complexity by putting the out-of-reach object on a blanket or towel. Then slowly pull the blanket and show her how it gets closer. Will she try that herself? TOUCHING GAMES Try this: let your baby play with a small toy without letting her see it (you could do this in the dark or with her hands in a paper bag). Then put that toy together with several other toys she’s never played with. Many babies this age will pick up the familiar toy. Although this may sound fairly easy, it isn’t. You’re asking your baby to use two senses—touch and vision—at the same time, and to recognize by sight something she’s touched but not seen. If your baby isn’t ready for this one, don’t worry. Just try it again in a few weeks. It’s a concept that can take a while to develop. IF … THEN … GAMES There are thousands of things you can do to reinforce cause-and-effect thinking. Rattles, banging games, rolling a ball back and forth, and splashing in the pool are excellent. So is blowing up your cheeks and having the baby “pop” them with her hands. Baby gyms—especially the kind that make a lot of noise when smacked—are also good, but be sure to pack them up the moment your baby starts trying to use the gym to pull herself up; they’re meant to be used while sitting or lying down and aren’t sturdy enough to support much weight. OBJECT PERMANENCE GAMES When your baby is about six or seven months old, the all-important idea that objects can exist even when they’re out of sight finally starts sinking in. • Object permanence develops in stages. If you’re interested in seeing how, try this: Show your baby a toy. Then, while she’s watching, “hide” it under a pillow. If you ask her where the toy is, she’ll probably push the pillow out of the way and “find” it. But if you quickly move the toy to another hiding place when she’s not looking, she’ll continue to look for it in the first hiding place. • Peek-a-boo and other games that involve hiding and finding things are great for developing object permanence. Peek-a-boo in particular teaches your baby an excellent lesson: when you go away, you always come back. This doesn’t sound like much, but making this connection now lets her know she can count on you to be there when she needs you and will help her better cope with separation anxiety (see page 222).” 0 likes
“Here are a few things to keep in mind when you’re getting ready to read: • Select a regular place for reading. • Set aside a regular time, when you will be able to devote your full attention to the baby and the book. Just before or just after a nap is usually good. • Try to read for at least fifteen minutes each day.” 0 likes