Start by marking “Lewis Carroll's the Hunting of the Snark” as Want to Read:
Lewis Carroll's the Hunting of the Snark

Lewis Carroll's the Hunting of the Snark

This Centennial Edition is newly annotated by Martin Gardner (author of The Annotated Alice) and also represents the first collected trade edition of all of Holiday's original sketches and drawings for this Lewis Carroll classic. It is further augmented and enhanced by a complete facsimile of the first edition, a special essay about Holiday and his designs by Dr. Charles M ...more
Hardcover, A Centennial Edition, 129 pages
Published November 20th 1981 by William Kaufmann Inc. (first published April 16th 1876)

Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
Absolute nonsense, which is to be expected with Carroll. I love how his writing brings me back to being a kid again. Obviously loved it!
Manny
"You must read this book!" the Reviewer cried,
As he searched for a suitable rhyme
But as long as he stole more than half of the words
He was sure he would get there in time.

The rest of this review is available elsewhere (the location cannot be given for Goodreads policy reasons)
Florencia
Well, I gave TV a chance today. However, I found Titanic, Terminator 3, reality shows and other stuff, so, those aren't real options for me. I have no sitcoms to watch right now. Although, I'm kind of tired of watching the same sitcoms/tv series all the time. There's nothing new now. Once Upon a Time is on, so that's a good background sound. What to do on a Saturday afternoon? Yes. Let's find something out of the ordinary to read. And what did I find? A brilliant, typical Carroll nonsense poem. ...more
Mark
Jan 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who smile easily
Another book I picked up at the Tate last week in Liverpool. More of the Tove Jansson nostalgic illustrations and a beautiful edition which sat happily in my hands last night as I read it aloud in bed. Thank God i live alone. The wonderful tumble of Carroll's rythmic pulsing verse is such fun to burble out and some of the verses made me smile out loud

'He thought of his childhood, left far far behind-
That blissful and innocent state-
The sound so exactly recalled to his mind
A pencil that squeaks o
Jo
Dec 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The hunting of the snark, is something that ideally, should definitely be devoured in one sitting. This poem is a poem made of wit, but at the same time, it's pure nonsense. But the nonsense, I think, is what makes it so damn good.
I am a huge Alice in wonderland fan, but I had never gotten round to reading this. The poem is split into eight parts, and is titled, "An agony in eight fits" Now, the title is attractive in itself, regardless of the contents. Only Lewis Carroll would use such a title!
Neva
Dec 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Те го будеха с кифлички, будеха с лед,
те го будеха с мед и горчица,
те го будеха с троскот и мъдър съвет -
и с числа в непонятна редица..."

Едно най-хубавите неща, които някога съм чела. Когато много умен и начетен човек разказва дивотии с ноншалантен вид и имаме късмета да го преведе много умен и начетен човек, положението става неудържимо радостно. Да не говорим ако цели двама много умни и вещи илюстратори са се погрижили да е интересно и за окото.

Като най-доброто от "Монти Пайтън", но в чисто
Trish
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lewis Carroll doesn't really need an introduction. Having brought us the fantastic world of Alice in Wonderland and its sequel, he is not only one of the most well-known authors of classic children's literature, but must have been one of the most inventive and imaginative people on the planet.

Apart from his novels, he also wrote this poem. I must admit to not having known about it. It was during my visit to Munich where I met Chris Riddell that I found out about The Hunting of the Snark since th
Mahendra Singh
Great poem but the illustrator is a debauched, discombubulated fool whose asemic scribblings and ink-blottings cannot stand up to even the most puerile graphical ravings of a den of opium-besotted thuggees, or even the currently uber-hip artiste visually polluting the cover of the New Yorker. Which ever one's worst, that's the one that this artist is worserer than.

Frankly, I think there's something funny about the whole business and I wouldn't be surprised if there's prison time and/or stiff fin
Libby
Jan 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five stars for both content, Lewis Carroll's sublimely weird nonsense epic about an ill-fated hunting mission by a group of bizarre characters, and edition, which contains Martin Gardner's playfully brilliant introduction, extensive annotations, and appendices. Carroll says of his eight fits of Snarkdom that there is no real symbolism- the Snark is just a Snark. Or more precisely, a Boojum. Numerous scholars have pooh-poohed this, arguing that no Victorian writer can understand how he is influen ...more
Petya Kokudeva
Dec 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Сигурно има много начини да се влюбиш в нонсенса (и по-точно в nonsense verse-a), но моят беше през Едуард Лиър, Огдън Наш и Луис Карол - именно с The Hunting of the Snark. Толкова причудлива сплав от искрен смях и ненатраплив, самоироничен смисъл рядко се среща. Но да не се отплесвам. "На лов за Снарк" на български е истинско пиршество! Майсторски преведена откъм ритъм и стъпка, безукорна в римите (а на места изобилства от тях, има и вътрешноредови даже).

Кристин Димитрова, преводач; Владимир Т
Keith
Mar 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is the epitome of nonsense verse and the measure by which I compare all others. The verse is beautifully and nimbly handled without sacrificing the humor or the nonsense.

My version has Martin Gardner's annotations which are helpful, but not necessary. Nonsense isn't supposed to make sense!

I highly recommend this book for adults, children, and pets. It is one of my favorite books that I've re-read several dozen times.

(Added note: Boris Karloff has an excellent reading of this that is avail
Shaina
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, alice, borrowed, ebook
The rhyme and verse are very pleasing. I like L.C. with his wide-grinning cats that disappear, jabberwocky, bandersnatch, and all, and so now it is on to this mysterious creature.
I had to reread the last part a few times, but it seems this creature has a special ability not mentioned. Some are perfectly safe in its company and some, are not.
Kyley✨
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"They sought it with thimbles, they sought it with care;
They pursued it with forks and hope;
They threatened it's life with railway-share;
They charmed it with smiles and soap."

This book was so fun!! It definitely reminded me of Alice in wonderland which is awesome because it's one of my favorites!
I really enjoyed this and I'm so happy that I am reading more of Carroll's work!
Denz
Nov 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, поезия
обяснителните бележки! <3
марш всички да гугълвате портманто думи, луискароловизми и Kofferwörter!
Carola
Jan 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: brits-s-xix, europa
Desconocía la existencia de este libro/poema. La edición que leí incluía en la parte final un anexo de cartas muy informativo. Me gustó saber cómo se gestó las aventuras de Alicia en la cabeza del autor (me sorprendio saber que Carroll era meticuloso como yo). Algo que me chocó bastante, y me dio mucho pudor y un poco de 'guálaca', fue la forma en que Lewis se refería a sus 'amiguitas', niñas de menos de 10 años, pues lo hacía con tanta pasión e idealización que tendría mucho sentido si es que - ...more
Greg
Jun 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best, and certainly the only, nonsense epic poem I've ever read. Found this at Lit. Fest in Chicago, only $8. A steal. I infer that an annotated version of anything is based on scholarly research, so it's funny to me that such a sensical approach was taken to analyze something so nonsensical. But hey, what's more nonsensical than that? It is insightful though, with the illumination of his portmanteau terms, late 19th century vernacular, and such. Did I mention I love this poem? It is hilario ...more
Fran
Mar 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, poetry
Just did a dramatic reading of this for my cat. As you do. She curled up and went to sleep. Compliment?

I absolutely adore this poem, and when this edition caught my eye on the shelf while doing some tidying I felt it was time for another reading. I'd love to record this to video someday, so I consider reading it aloud for my cat as rehearsal. Yeah.
Kaethe Douglas
Jul 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not this particular edition (which is cooler than the first one I read). I c9ollected various Carroll editions, so actually, I don't know which one I fell in love with first.
Жор
Jul 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Да се чете в пияно състояние. Тъкмо поради това не мога да напиша нищо смислено в момента.
Svetlozara Kabaktchieva
Прекрасно преживяване е този стихотворен "нонсенс". Ако обаче сте сериозен човек и не обичате безсмислици (тук изведнъж се сетих за бизнесмена от "Малкия принц", който обича да брои звездите, за да ги притежава), хич и не си губете времето с тази мъничка книжка. Ако обаче обичате това, което не е знайно какво е, радвате се на начина, по който думите се наплитат, можете да се смеете на истински смешни неща, значи сте готови за експедицията за търсенето на Снарк. Смятам, че истинското харесване на ...more
Petruccio Hambasket IV
I haven't read a single damn thing in 2018, so I figured a lighthearted and simple tale was the right thing to get into to. Not only does the "Hunting of the Snark (An Agony In Eight Fits)" not fulfill either of my two wishes, it has plagued me with deep and melancholy thoughts. Disquiet wraps every portion of this adventure and nothing is truly okay (logically, spiritually, mathematically, and so on). It is undoubtedly a great tragedy: but I cannot for the life of me pinpoint exactly about what ...more
Amy (Other Amy)
He had bought a large map representing the sea,
Without the least vestige of land;
And the crew were much pleased when they found it to be
A map they could all understand.

The map, of course, is blank. Much of this poem is absence, but where The Jabberwocky fills absence with vague nonsense that somehow expands to suggest a world of dread, the story of the snark simply isn't, until it is, and that was not enough to carry the thing for me. However, this is a fun read, and as I'm turning it over I fin
Мартин Касабов
На лов за Снарк: http://izumen.blogspot.com/2014/10/bl...

Препоръчвам книгата, но не на всеки, разбира се. Това е специфично четиво, нонсенс литература - тренировка за любителите на езика и неговите странности. Ние останалите ще се задоволим с кикотене и бутилка ром.

Цялото ревю: http://izumen.blogspot.com/2014/10/bl...
Gustav
Apr 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"They sought it with thimbles, they sought it with care;
They pursued it with forks and hope;
They threatened its life with a railway-share;
They charmed it with smiles and soap.

Simply put, Mr. Carroll at his finest.
One of the greatest works of nonsense ever.
Laura Dam
Nov 05, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, poetry
Pequeño pero muy interesante. Lewis Carroll es de esos autores de los que hay que leer todo todo.
Annabelle
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Had nog nooit eerder een boek gelezen alleen maar omdat ik 1 van de afbeeldingen die erin stond zo mooi vond, maar het was de moeite meer dan waard.
Sem
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In which a Hemulen and other residents of Moominvalley venture in quest of a Snark -- but only if you read the edition with Tove Jansson's illustrations.
Albena
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ще я науча наизуст и ще ви преследвам с нея.

Изключително добър превод. Ювелирен.
Ed Erwin
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, humor, fantasy
Not as snarky as I expected. ;)

The poem is great fun. So are the illustrations. The annotations help and are only occasionally excessive.

But the Judge said he never had summed up before;
So the Snark undertook it instead,
And summed it so well that it came to far more
Than the Witnesses ever had said!

To be clear: I read "The Annotated Snark" by Martin Gardner, 1962 edition. Goodreads lumps this into the same "book" as "The Hunting of the Snark".
Nathan
Probably my favorite poem to date. This so intrigued me that I returned for a reread the same day.

Much longer than "Jabberwocky," this "Agony in Eight Fits" (as Carroll calls it) is an adventurous, mysterious, brain-tugging story of a sailing crew which sets to find a Snark (whatever it is):

"They sought it with thimbles, they sought it with care; / They pursued it with forks and hope, / They threatened its life with a railway-share; / They charmed it with smiles and soap."

The theme is dark and w
  • Archy and Mehitabel
  • Selected Poems and Two Plays
  • Ralestone Luck
  • The Fairy Caravan
  • The Educated Ape and Other Wonders of the Worlds (Japanese Devil Fish Girl #3)
  • Moomin: The Complete Tove Jansson Comic Strip, Vol. 2
  • Nightmare Abbey; Crotchet Castle
  • сърцето ти нося (в сърцето си го нося)
  • In the Shadow of the Dreamchild: The Myth and Reality of Lewis Carroll
  • The Magic City
  • Rootabaga Stories
  • The Magic Fishbone
  • One Hundred Great Books in Haiku
  • The Pied Piper of Hamelin
  • The Book of Heroic Failures: The Official Handbook of the Not Terribly Good Club of Great Britain
The Reverend Charles Lutwidge Dodgson, better known by the pen name Lewis Carroll, was an English author, mathematician, logician, Anglican clergyman and photographer.

His most famous writings are Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and its sequel Through the Looking-Glass as well as the poems "The Hunting of the Snark" and "Jabberwocky", all considered to be within the genre of literary nonsense.

Oxfo