Start by marking “Liar, Liar (Cat DeLuca Mysteries, #1)” as Want to Read:
Liar, Liar (Cat DeLuca Mysteries, #1)

Liar, Liar

(Cat DeLuca Mysteries #1)

Liar, Liar, the first book in the Cat DeLuca Mysteries, has it all: a strong plot, memorable characters, and an astonishing finish.

Cat DeLuca’s short, stormy marriage to run-around Johnnie Ricco was a crash course in infidelity. It taught her everything she needed to launch the Pants On Fire Detective Agency. Now armed with spy glasses, camera and chocolate, Private Invest
Kindle Edition
Published (first published May 27th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Liar, Liar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Liar, Liar

Bill
Dec 09, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I just couldn't get into it. The plot was weak, the dialogue ok--with lots of funny one-liners, but the characters are not particularly interesting. I'm sure the publisher took the book because of the similarities to the highly successful Janet Evanovich series with Stephanie Plum. Unfortunately K. J. Larsen doesn't reach the same level of interest with her Cat DeLuca's Pants on Fire detective agency.
thewestchestarian
Unintentionally funny. At the end Cat DeLuca’s self-introduction that leads off the book, you know things are not going to go well. It ends with the phase: ”my life brook into a thousand Monopoly pieces”. Um, a thousand ”Monopoly” pieces? Does that make sense to anyone else? These little bits of weirdness, reminiscent of talking to an Indian call center employee pretending to be ”George from the Midwest” permeate the book. Cat goes out for dinner and has an ”Italian salad” - maybe the author mea ...more
Oct 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Okay cooler authors? I think not. (met them at Borders yeaterday! They were sooo funny plus supper like, suportive.) They're sisters for one, and they were really sweet to their fans.

Better characters? I'm gonna go with a no again. I loved the huge italian family and crazy "dead men". Cat's just hallarious in genral, running a detective angency for women that want to find out if their husbands are cheaters, and Chance the dead man that she keeps runnining into, with such pretty eyes. She had cra
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
This was an amazing read. Very humorous of a stereotyped Chicago Italian family. It is a family filled with law enforcement members, a couple of daughters, one of which owns her own private investigative agency. This book features Caterina (Cat) Deluca.

Cat owns the "Pants on Fire Detective Agency" that specializes on getting the goods on cheating, naughty spouses. Cat was inspired by her ex...a cheating spouse. While she is on surveillance, she follows a suspect to an abandoned building. Expecti
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
If you like Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books, you will love this series.

Cat DeLuca runs the Pants on Fire agency...she goes out and catches the adulterers. She has a brother Rocco that is a cop, Uncle Joey (who may not really be her uncle) who "takes care" of people (can we say mob?) and a Catholic mother who likes to use the guilt card. Her family is a blue collar Italian family in Chicago to set more of the picture.

I will say I haven't laughed as much as I did with this book. Definitely
Gina
Jun 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
** 3 MYSTERIOUS STARS! **

Well as you can see I decided to push through and finish this book today.
As previously mentioned did I have a hard time getting into it and remaining interested.
I don't know whether it's because I'm in a weird reading mood or because this book simply just didn't phase me.

I found it to be a bit boring yet it does have its entertaining parts as well. It's a very short book (237 pages) so I should have been able to finish this in like...two days, but it ended up being
Christi
My impression so far of this book is that it tries too hard to be a Stephanie Plum knock-off.
The overbearing family, the sidekick pet, the mafioso family connections.
I am going to give this a few more chapters to see if she ever gets into solving the case of who is Chase Santro-whatsisface and who is the blue eyeliner lady passing herself off as his wife?

I stuck with this book and still feel it is a Stephanie Plum knock-off. Although instead of forgetting to pack a gun as Stephanie always does,
Lisa
Oct 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Liar Liar is a fast, fun read - as noted on the jacket cover, if you enjoy Janet Evanovich (or Carl Hiaasen, Lisa Lutz) you should love this new series created by KJ Larsen (who are three sister authors writing under one name). As you might guess, it's not the mystery that's the heart of the book, but the people who inhabit it. Cat DeLuca is the owner of a detective agency that specializes in getting the goods on cheating spouses. Things get crazier than usual when a house she's watching is blow ...more
SenoraG
Jun 05, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of evanovice, lutz
Recommended to SenoraG by: advance copy from publisher
There were places where I found the writing to be a bit scattered and hard to follow. The charactors are great and easy to identify with. There were times I laughed out loud at Cat and her gangs high jinx.

My favorite charactor would have to be Mama DeLuca with her quick wit and undying love for her family. Anyone coming from an Italian family can relate to Cat's family and laugh along at her frustration.

I enjoyed reading this book and would recommend it to any readers who like Janet Evanovich an
Stargazer
Aug 20, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
If i hadn't read the janet evanovitch series, which i loved, i'd probably have liked it, but it was so hard not to continually think of stephanie plum and her life/plots/characters. A fairly good rip off, but a rip off nonetheless.
bup
Apr 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel, 2010
Set in Chicago, "Liar, Liar" is a funny, action-packed mystery at high speed. If it took itself seriously, then...but it doesn't. Cat DeLuca, the protagonist owner of a detective agency, is a fully realized character with lots of attitude and a crazy family.

A completely fun ride.
Pat St.
Oct 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious mystery, in the vein of The Spellman Files (Lisa Lutz). Inept (or semi-ept) detective Cat DeLuca, aka DeLucky, attempts to uncover a plot involving the FBI, Chicago police, and any number of crooks. You'll fly through this one!
judy
In the middle of a DeLuca family dinner I realized I was waiting for a small car to pull up and tons of clowns to fall out. Closed the book. Leave Janet alone.
Kimiko
Aug 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cat DeLuca is the owner of the Pants on Fire detective agency. She only does one type of work; photographing and catching cheaters. So while on a job following Chance Savino to a building, the building is blown up and she is hit in the head by the "For Lease" sign.

Ending up in the hospital, her Chicago Italian family decides she is brain damaged and going insane when she tells everyone the man she was following, who went into the building that was blown up, is not dead. Her family does an inter
Elly
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, for a €1,99 impulse buy it is okay, but I see why it ended up on sale. This book is full of ideas, but most of them don't seem to be followed trough on. The main character lacks character. It is odd how she is running a detective agency catching cheaters but can afford lots of expensive clothes, how every guy in the books is either family or immediately in love, and every character just seems to be there to be of help, and they do not have actual reasoning for helping. The action scene ...more
Jane
Aug 22, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Normally when I get partway into what I know is going to be a very low rated book, I stop reading. Sometimes I don’t. This was one of the ‘don’t’ times and I’m still unsure how I feel about that decision. On one hand, it’s good to finish something I’ve started, even something I found didn’t suit my personal tastes. On the other, I have to now live with the memory of more than 30% of this travesty.

I can’t even find something remotely positive to say, except I guess, it wasn’t longer than it was.
catechism
Feb 02, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mystery
Look, I enjoyed the first few Evanovich books but that was a long time ago and I am just Done with this genre -- you know, the Clumsy Girl who's obsessed with cannoli but also super sexy, and she's surrounded by super competent men and overbearing relatives who treat her with unbearable condescension and tell her how crap she is and it's supposed to be cute, and even cuter when she turns out to be right, not that she's right because she's competent, and not that her rightness makes any differenc ...more
Debbie Maskus
I had planned on reading a great mystery set in Chicago, but the sisters Larsen presented another version of Stephanie Plum. Cat DeLuca jumps in your face as a private investigator with tons of relatives in the Chicago Police Department, and an Italian mother that out cooks Julia Child. Of course, a couple of hunky men rotate around the gorgeous Cat. Cat has a beagle, instead of a hamster, and no 'ho as her sidekick, just a crazed woman with a stun gun. The constant mention of food forced me to ...more
Debbie
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book! It was very funny, and had a nicely developed mystery too. The characters made me laugh out loud. Cat was an extremely likeable heroine, and her family was so entertaining that I had a hard time putting the book down. I hope that this author (which actually is a writing team of three sisters!) will be coming out with a sequel to this one- I will definitely be watching for it!
(Looks like the sequel will be called "Sticks & Stones"- coming out 2/2012.)
Eco Imp
Sep 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, mystery
Needed some light, quick reading to lighten the load on my brain and add humor to my soul. This fits the bill. First impression is very Stephanie Plum-ish: girl that needs help from cops, has a wired female sidekick, and interested hunk. I got past that and enjoyed the one-liners and humor. I mark this one down as guilty pleasure reading.
Jim
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh,boy.

Stumbled on this one as an audio book of the right duration. Didn't quite finish in the car, so I had to get the written version. Cat DeLuca is one helluva character. Crime plus laugh out loud humor is a fantastic combo. Loved every minute / page and anxious for Book 2. Starting yet tonight!
Rebecca Woitte
Jan 15, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
The author tries to write like Janet Evanowich, but fails badly. Unrealistic for a private detective to have the resources of Chicago PD available to her through her brother, a Chicago police officer, and for the “instant” results from the lab.
Mary Greenfeder
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy read. Funny characters. I enjoyed it.
Hannah
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book, it was funny and the mystery pulled me right in. It was a light and fun read, a series I will definitely be continuing.
Richella
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
fun, quick beach-y type read. The story zips along at a good pace, funny lead character.
Linda Riesberg
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reminds me of Janet Evanovich books except it takes place in Chicago.
Lorena
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Just ok. Won’t read other books in the series.
Catherine
Jul 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This mystery was not great, but light and entertaining. Very, very similar to Janet Evanovich's series.
Grace
Mar 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
This reminds me of a stephanie plum series, but Cat knows how to shoot a gun. The supporting characters are also fun.
Lucélia
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Skating Around the Law (Rebecca Robbins, #1)
  • Swift Justice (A Charlie Swift Mystery #1)
  • Catnapped (An Animal Instinct Mystery #1)
  • Night Kill (Iris Oakley, #1)
  • How to Crash a Killer Bash (Party Planning, #2)
  • Drip Dead (A Georgiana Neverall Mystery #3)
  • Dandy Gilver and The Reek of Red Herrings (Dandy Gilver, #9)
  • Headlong Hall
  • Flowerbed of State (A White House Gardener Mystery, #1)
  • Well-Offed in Vermont (Pret’ Near Perfect Mystery #1)
  • Dirty Laundry (Sofie Metropolis, #2)
  • No Such Thing As A Free Ride (A Brandy Alexander Mystery #4)
  • Spy Mom
  • The Gospel According to Drew Barrymore
  • Full Mortality
  • Cape Disappointment (Thomas Black, #12)
  • Batteries Required (Samantha Shaw Mystery, #4)
  • Frame Up (Knight and Devlin, #2)
Sisters Kari, Julianne, and Kristen write under the pen name, K.J. Larsen.

Writing a novel together was second nature for the three sisters who created their own Nancy Drew mysteries as kids. “We live very different lives,” Kari says. “What brings us together is a voracious love of mystery, a wicked sense of humor, and the thrill of victory.”
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Kari Larsen lives at the

Cat DeLuca Mysteries (5 books)
  • Sticks and Stones (Cat DeLuca Mysteries, #2)
  • Some Like It Hot (Cat DeLuca Mysteries, #3)
  • Bye, Bye Love (Cat DeLuca Mysteries, #4)
  • There Was a Crooked Man (Cat DeLuca Mysteries #5)