Start by marking “Muse and Reverie” as Want to Read:
Muse and Reverie

Muse and Reverie

(Newford #13)

From the master of contemporary urban fantasy, a new collection of "Newford" stories

The city of Newford could be any city in North America, bursting with music, commerce, art, love, hate, and, of course magic. Magic in the sidewalk cracks, myth at the foundations of its great buildings, enchantment in the spaces between its people.

In novels like Moonheart, Forests of the H
Published November 9th 2010 by Tor Books (first published December 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Muse and Reverie, please sign up.
Melanti This is an anthology of short stories and it's a decent place to start.

This is an anthology of short stories and it's a decent place to start.

The Newford series can (mostly) be read in any order. There's a small core cast of characters that often reappear as side characters, but generally each book has a different main character and plot.

There's a few exceptions - Onion Girl, Spirits in the Wires, and Widdershins need to be read in that order, and I personally would recommend reading a couple other books in the series before tackling those three.

Other than that, jump around as much as you like.(less)

JG (The Introverted Reader)
In the author's note at the beginning of this volume of short stories, Charles de Lint says that he's taking a break from Newford for a while but that he still has enough short stories lying around to publish one more collection. I read that and my heart stopped for a second. I love Newford and all the characters in it! They have become my fictional friends over the years! The logical part of my brain can understand though. He's written 20+ novels and short story collections set in Newford, and ...more
Chris
Another solid collection of Newford short stories, set before Widdershins.
Jacki
I should be reviewing this as I go, or I will probably forget details of stories as I read others, especially since Newford books tend toward character overlap.

1. "Somewhere in My Mind, There is a Painting Box": Meh. This story is a typical "guy gets back from Fairyland and doesn't feel comfortable in this world anymore" tale. The writing is the woodsy, lyrical folk song de Lint's fans have come to expect, but the story is flat. Two stars.

2. "Refinerytown": Several old faces come back for this s
carol.
Three, three and a half stars. A later collection, mostly about Newford, although de Lint is stretching a bit and very few stories are about the standard Newford characters. Because of that, people who haven't read any de Lint won't find it any trouble to follow. Much of it is poetic in typical de Lint style, but some of the stories experiment with other techniques, almost as if de Lint set out to play with all the standard urban fantasy settings.

"Somewhere in My Mind There Is a Painting Box" wa
Libby
Another lovely collection from Charles de Lint. A number of the stories are in Newford and/or involve characters from Newford but you can still enjoy this if you haven't read any of his other work.

One of the things I really admire about De Lint as an author, is his ability to create wonderful and believable characters. A number of the stories collected in this book are told in first person and each character has a distinct voice. I imagine it's difficult to write from so many different points of
MB (What she read)
Apr 19, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Charles de Lint and Bordertown fans
I found myself wishing that I'd re-read the previous de Lint story collections before I started this one. (Unfortunately, I can't remember which titles I HAVE read already.) Many of the characters in this one were vaguely familiar to me, but it has been such a while between my readings that I've forgotten their backstories.

It would have been a much richer experience if I had. My fault...Aaargh!
Alisa Kester
It's a strange thing: I've never been able to truly love one of Charles de Lint's novels, but I adore his short stories. Reading them makes me feel as though I've fallen asleep and am dreaming some very strange dreams...the sort where everything is unknown and yet everything feels familiar. Characters wind in and out, and I learn to love his world in little snatches. Highly recommended, although if you're new to Newford I'd start with one of the earlier story collections.
Alison
Feb 24, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Charles de Lint's novels, but I find that his short stories are hit or miss. They are sometimes trite and cliched, and sometimes utterly magical, and sometimes one story is both. This collection of stories set in the fictional city of Newford is no different. There are a few gems, though, and I would certainly recommend the book to anyone who is a de Lint fan.
Chelsea
Jan 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This wasn't my favorite of the Newford books, but four separate stories brought me to tears nonetheless.
Penelope
Jan 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-and-fantasy
Perhaps not as good as some of his other Newford Tales but even average De Lint is miles above the rest.
V.E.
Feb 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
loved almost all of the short stories. I have never read anything by him before and I must say I am looking for more. I found my self not wanting the stories to end and eager to read the next.
Ray Charbonneau
A new collection, but somehow the first story was familiar. Was still very good, but it did seem like minor de Lint, like his heart is really in the novels.
The Book Witch
"The world is big enough and strange enough that pretty much anything can be out there in it, somewhere."

Muse and Reverie, summed up in word, is interesting.

This is a collection of stories by an author my mother has been pressuring me to read stuff of. I started with Muse and Reverie because reading a collection of short stories by the author is sometimes a good way to get involved in an author’s work.

Did I absolutely love it? No. But I was very intrigued by some of these stories.

Somewhere in
Elizabeth
"Muse and Reverie" is another great short story collection written by Charles de Lint. This book is part of his Newford series, and several of the stories are based on repeat characters from other books in the series. Charles de Lint knows how to write a good story and I have enjoyed several of them throughout the years. When I first started reading his books, they spoke to me in a way other books hadn't and definitely had a hand in shaping who I am today. Unfortunately I had a hard time with th ...more
C. Scott Kippen
"Somewhere in my mind there is a Painting Box" -- ok, typical de Lint once you go to fairy you always want to go back.

"Refinerytown" -- cute story, enjoyed, but not a lot of meat.

"A Crow Girls Christmas" -- if you like the Crow Girls (and who doesn't), this is fun, light, story. All it was meant to be too.

"Dark eyes, Faith, and Devotion" -- Ok to meh.

"Riding Shotgun" -- Fantastic, so far, the best in the collection and well worth the read.

"Sweet Forget-me-Not" -- Forgettable (heck, had to look a
Jessie Wheeler
Turns out I had read this before!
Amanda
Jan 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Muse And Reverie is a collection of thirteen short stories set in Charles de Lint’s Newford universe. As with most collections, some of these tales are of better quality than others but, it being Charles de Lint, there are more hits than misses.

The collection opens with ‘Somewhere In My Head There Is A Painting Box’, which sets the tone nicely, dealing with a situation where the worlds of human and faery collide. There is nothing new here but the descriptions of the woodland are graceful and sho
Kerry
Jul 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: everything
At this point, it should almost go without saying that I love Charles De Lint’s Newford series, and I always enjoy a new Newford book, whether it is a full length novel or a collection of short stories. I have read so much Charles De Lint in the past two years and have said so many great things about his work that I am running out of things to say. And so, it is difficult to know exactly what to write about Muse and Reverie, the latest collection of Newford stories.

It was a typically De Lint bo
Samuel Lubell
Jan 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, stories
This is a collection of Newford stories. de Lint is better at short stories than he is at novels and Newford is one of fantasy's best-developed settings. But, not all the stories here have that Newford feel. "Somewhere in My Mind There Is a Painting Box" is an excellent story about art and purpose, "Refinerytown" a fascinating story about an artist whose creation comes to life and tells her she is getting the story all wrong with some familiar Newford characters. "A Crow Girls' Christmas" is a c ...more
Julia
A thoroughly delightful return to the people and others from Newford, de Lint’s created world. “Refinerytown” is about a graphic novel Mona is writing with Nina Kiriki Hoffman (yes, the real NKH) based on the Bordertown shared universe stories. She’s still with her boyfriend the shapechanger (not werewolf) Lyle from “Trading Hearts at the Half Kaffee Café,” in Tapping the Dream Tree, among others. “That was Radio Clash” is about second (and third) chances and what you have to do with them once y ...more
Andrea Blythe
Feb 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Like Dreams Underfoot and The Onion Girl, this collection of short stories is set in De Lint's fictional city of Newford, a sprawling metropolis noted for its unusually high level of unusual activity, from goblins living in the buried old town to mischievous crow girls to rather nasty wizards to keys that can suddenly throw you back into the past.

Also like De Lint's previous stories and novels, the urban fantasy stories stem from the people within them, people lonely and lost and loving and kind
Sarah Sammis
Jan 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started reading Charles de Lint because he writes "Books to Look For" the Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction. Since he lives in Canada and therefore qualifies for the Canada Reads challenge and the 42 Challenge I've been reading through my library's collection of his books. I knew Muse and Reverie was his new book having seen it reviewed on the book blogs I read.

Muse and Reverie is a collection of his urban fantasy short stories. Some are reprints and some are new. I didn't take notes as
Asif Zamir
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this enchanting collection of tales in the fantasy genre, Muse and Reverie: A Newford Collection, is a book you simply will not be able to put down. It covers everything from a secret entrance way into the world of the faeries, where all track of time vanishes and you return to earth young while your loved ones have either aged to passed on, to faeries written on paper becoming real before the writer's eyes, or were they real the whole time? From the lives of the Crow Girls who were there in ...more
Susan
Feb 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2005, book-club, 2010
"A Crow Girls Christmas • [Newford] • (2001) • shortstory by Charles de Lint and MaryAnn Harris
"Da Slockit Light • [Newford] • (2003) • novelette by Charles de Lint
"Dark Eyes, Faith, and Devotion • [Newford] • (2005) • shortstory by Charles de Lint
"In Sight" read in Maiden Matron Crone 5/27/2005
"Newford Spook Squad • [Newford] • (2004) • shortfiction by Charles de Lint
"Refinerytown • [Newford] • (2001) • shortstory by Charles de Lint
"Riding Shotgun • [Newford] • (2003) • novelette by Charles de
Marsha
Feb 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think part of the appeal of de Lint is the attachment to the characters, and unfortunately, short stories normally are more about the tale than reflect the qualities of the characters in them.

However, this is an interesting collection of Newford stories, and I've been a long time fan of Newford...it was the first urban-fantasy that I ever had the pleasure of reading. It's nice to see the Crow Girls again, in "The Crow Girls' Christmas." Nice to encounter longer, more complex stories, like "The
Mel
I was very pleased to discover that another collection of Newford stories had been released. I did enjoy these but I must admit I didn't feel like they were CDL's best. I think part of the problem was now Newford has just gotten so big and there are so many characters that sometimes it feels like the backstory to fill in the readers is longer than the new story. The stories I liked best in this were about new characters. There was a lot more death and a lot more ghosts and it made for a very int ...more
Laurie
Aug 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of short stories that de Lint wrote from 2001 to 2005. All have been published before, but most people won’t have read them all unless you follow his work obsessively. I’d only read two out of the thirteen stories.

As usual, all are delightful. This collection is all Newford stories, which are always my favorites. There are some light, fluffy tales, like “A Crow Girls Christmas”. But there are also some darker tales, like “Riding Shotgun” and “Dark Eyes, Faith and Devotion”,
Ayla-Monic
Mar 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Every time I find a collection of Newford stories that I haven't yet read, it's like a bit like my birthday. Charles de Lint is one of my writing idols, and I love his take on urban fantasy.

Every story in this collection is interesting and different from the next. New characters and old staples of Newford work their way through the stories, and everything is entrancing as always.

It's hard to talk about short stories without giving away the entire story, so instead of reviewing each individual sh
Madeleine
Jul 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I've always loved about Charles de Lint, is that he is able to make everything in his stories so real. His characters are very human, a little bit of good, a little bit of bad; they make mistakes but react to them in a very relatable way. The magic of the stories is also very believable. Fey you can only see when they want you to, because you need to; strange occurences at the side of your vision, whispers on the edges of society. Also they way music and art are tied into magic, that the ma ...more
Jen
Feb 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is hard to believe that I have been reading Charles de Lint for 20 years, but this is indeed the case. Picking up Muse and Reverie was like catching up with old friends, or going home for a long overdue visit. The characters have continued to grow and change in my absence, and I was excited to see how. I'm not sure I can objectively review this book because of my long association with these characters and this setting. I enjoy the touches of magic and the realism of the life paths portrayed i ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Essential Bordertown (Borderland, #7)
  • Welcome to Bordertown (Borderland, #8)
  • Ill Met in Lakhmar/The Fair in Emain Macha
  • The Coyote Road: Trickster Tales
  • Finder (Borderland, #6)
  • The Urban Fantasy Anthology
  • Redwood and Wildfire
  • Nevernever (Borderland, #5)
  • The Stones Are Hatching
  • Solstice Wood (Winter Rose, #2)
  • Firebirds Soaring: An Anthology of Original Speculative Fiction
  • Serendipity Market
  • Aladdin: A New Translation
  • Singer of Souls (Singer of Souls, #1)
Charles de Lint is the much beloved author of more than seventy adult, young adult, and children's books. Renowned as one of the trailblazers of the modern fantasy genre, he is the recipient of the World Fantasy, Aurora, Sunburst, and White Pine awards, among others. Modern Library's Top 100 Books of the 20th Century poll, conducted by Random House and voted on by readers, put eight of de Lint's b ...more

Newford (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Dreams Underfoot (Newford, #1)
  • Memory and Dream (Newford, #2)
  • The Ivory and the Horn (Newford, #3)
  • Trader (Newford, #4)
  • Someplace to Be Flying (Newford, #5)
  • Moonlight and Vines (Newford, #6)
  • Forests of the Heart (Newford, #7)
  • The Onion Girl (Newford, #8)
  • Tapping the Dream Tree (Newford, #9)
  • Spirits in the Wires (Newford, #10)