Start by marking “Dead to Writes” as Want to Read:

(Cassandra Ellis #1)

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  192 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Author Cassandra Ellis is thrilled to death when her first murder mystery novel is released. She enjoys glowing reviews, praise from friends and family, and all the excitement that comes from being published. But her celebration is cut short when she becomes the primary suspect for a real life murder. One of the sources she used while writing her novels has been shot, and ...more
Published August 13th 2010 by Zapstone Productions

To ask other readers questions about Dead to Writes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead to Writes

Patricia Rockwell
Jul 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Certainly, I will read more mysteries by this author in this series. I find the heroine Cassie Ellis a lot of fun and gutsy--maybe a bit too gutsy for my taste as there is quite a bit of shooting and bloodshed. Even so, the writing is light-hearted and clever. The romance is nicely developed and the characters sparkle with life.

Cassie is a soon-to-be published author of a series of alliterative mysteries. She spends her days imagining how to kill people. Just as she's celebrating the publicatio
Trish
Jul 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is great for summer reading and thought I'd add my Amazon book review over here in case someone wants to pick it up. I'm anxiously awaiting the next book in the series.

Move over Nancy Drew, Jessica Fletcher, Jane Marple, and yes, even Stephanie Plum -- there's a new sleuth in town and she's moving to the top of the list of likeable female sleuths. Cathy Wiley hits it out of the park with her first foray into the cozy, murder mystery genre by presenting an imperfect, yet very likeable h
Susan
Apr 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Clever light mystery. The type of book I imagine Jessica Fletcher of Murder She Wrote might have written and I adored Jessica. I liked Cassie too, a spunky, cat loving,murder mystery loving author.She is a good friend, has a quick wit and active imagination and does her research. I think we could be friends.I could tell that Cathy Wiley does her research too and has a good sense of humor. As a former educational interpreter I really appreciated the inclusion of sign language in the story even th ...more
Marsha Nelson
Sep 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I loved it.
The book contained a great blend of mystery and romance with characters I would like to have as friends. Cassie the spunky mystery novelist and James the hunky police detective made for entertaining reading.
I can't wait to what trouble Cassie can get into and James can get her out of in the future.
Read it and enjoy.
Misha Crews
Aug 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, first I should say that I love mysteries. From the time I picked up my first Nancy Drew book, I was hooked. Since then it's been Trixie Belden, Harriet the Spy, and later Agatha Christie, Sue Grafton, etc. Cathy Wiley is obviously of the same school of reader, and now she is contributing her own talents to the genre!

DEAD TO WRITES features an interesting cast of characters, a seemingly-random set of murders, and authentic details about the great old city of Baltimore. I enjoyed the heroin
Christine
Sep 15, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
GREAT BOOK! This was an awesome start to what I'm sure will be an amazing series. The mystery-author turned sleuth idea is genius, and Cassie is energetic and really likeable as the main character. Her friends and family are awesome, the romance is completely believable and the love interest has no weird tics, at least at this point. Super awesome start to a series. So excited for the rest!
Alice Yeh
Oct 28, 2010 rated it liked it
The premise of the story is quite simple: an author writes murder mysteries, and people around her end up dead. With that being said, the mystery itself certainly wasn't, as I had my finger pointed at the wrong character down to the last 80% of the story. Wiley does a commendable job at misdirection, opening multiple possibilities and thinning them out only to throw them under suspicion once again. The reader feels like he or she is right there alongside Cassie, trying to figure out who is killi ...more
Ellie
Jul 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy, mystery, fiction
Dead to Writes by Cathy Wiley was one of the most pleasant mysteries I've read in a long time. Although the book follows cozy formula closely, the writing is so fluid and the characters so likable that I, well, liked it. Very much.

Our hero-or heroine-is Cassie Ellis, a mystery writer about to celebrate her first publication. Wiley captures the writer's excitement as well as her distress when people's whose name appear in Cassie's stolen planner show up murdered within short periods of time of me
Lisa
This was my first e-book; the fact that it took me more than four months to read is not a reflection of the book - just of my schedule. It was okay. I thought the premise was interesting enough, and I always enjoy Trixie Belden references. However, the character's tendency to drift off onto tangents as she "writes" in her head (she's an author) were a bit distracting for me. I also noticed a lot of typographical and comma errors (particularly in the middle of the book) that were rather bothersom ...more
Julie Johnson
May 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book was a lot of fun & I highly recommend. I initially found the main character a bit too goody-goody but she perked up a bit & also her character filled out more, by the end I really liked her. The romance is a good one, and the mystery is top notch. I love a good mystery that keeps you guessing. It turns out I guessed it right but there were so many other good suspects, that I was unsure about it right up until the end. Even until the end I kept thinking 'maybe I'm wrong'. It rea ...more
Mark Baker
Mar 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010, mystery
Cassie Ellis is ready to celebrate the launch of her first mystery novel when someone starts killing her contacts. Who could it be? I really connected with the characters and can't wait to spend more time with them. The pacing of the story was a bit uneven, but I still found the book hard to put down.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Chaun
Apr 16, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This fast paced mystery was a quick, light read with very likeable characters. I thought I knew who the killer was fairly early on but I was wrong, which was a nice surprise. The version I read (Kindle) was poorly edited with lots of grammatical errors but I enjoyed it nevertheless. I only gave it three stars though. Probably since I read this book right after Gwendoline Butler's 'Death Lives Next Door' - which is, in my opinion, written on a whole other level.
Barbara J. Harbison
Dead to Writes

I had a ball reading this book; I was even late to an appointment because I couldn't stop reading.
The people in the book were full of life and very interesting. Cassie has a fantastic imagination which does her good as the writer of mysteries. Luckily, she has a number of good friends to help her stay grounded.
I look forward to reading more books in this series.
Macjest
Apr 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
You know you've read a great book when you hate to see the book come to an end. That's what happened when I read Dead to Writes. I became very invested in the characters and their personal lives. And, I wanted to know what would happen next. I kept eagerly turning the page to see "who dun-it." The end of the book came and my reaction was "No! I want more!" I like Cassie and Detective Whittaker. I can't wait to see how they do in the next books in the series.
Marybeth
Sep 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Actually a 3.5.

I enjoyed the book. Cassie Ellis is a good lead. Although she is another amatuer who takes stupid chances at least hers are not ridiculously contrived and over the top. Her actions fit with the story and who she is. I enjoy her secondary characters. And the killer wasn't telegraphed from the getgo. I've already ordered the second book in the series.

And gotta love any character who prefers Trixie Beldon to Nancy Drew!!
Judy B. Burford
May 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
So far, this was my favourite novel since I started reading e-books on my Kindle. It was easy to get connected to the characters and equally easy to follow the plot. I really enjoyed the variety of scene types and felt the author worked diligently to keep the reader interested. I'm looking forward to reading more of her works.
Becca
Sep 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
The characters are very believable and interesting. The book moved along quickly and it was fun to read. I really got pulled into the plot and tried to figure out who was the murderer. The relationships that were developed in the book were great and fun to watch devolop. I can't wait to read the next book and see what happens with Cassie, James, and all the other characters!
SherryA
Sep 22, 2010 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book a lot. Cassie is a fun and quirky character and I look forward to more books by C. Wiley. Thanks to Goodreads for picking me to receive this book. I would recommend it to those who like a light, fun mystery.
Bonnie
Jul 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Debut novel by a friend of mine who spins a wonderful mystery/romance. I was kept guessing without being so confused that the reveal was totally befuddling so that I'd feel cheated. Great humor and great characters. Looking forward to the next one! And I'm not really a big fan of mysteries.
Diane Porter
May 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Thought I'd enjoy this mystery series, was surprised by the presence of romance. Was pleased that the romance didn't ruin the mystery and was kept at an appropriate level.
The_helen
May 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2011
Brilliant first book-well done. Light, easy to read, nice balance of mystery, romance and some comedy. Characters seemed real to me and I cannot wait for the next one.
Kim (Raper)
Sep 13, 2010 marked it as to-read
Shelves: own
Received my free copy today - thank you Cathy !!! Looking forward to getting into the book !
Judy
Oct 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
An enjoyable mystery with an appealing protagonist. A newly published mystery author finds herself in the middle of a real life mystery and tries to help the police solve it with predictable results.
Paulette Ponte
Aug 06, 2011 rated it it was ok
Not so good.
Kait Carson
Aug 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy
Really enjoyed the way the author intertwined the new author experience with the mystery. This book kept me guessing to the end. It was delightful.
Julie
  • A Dozen Deadly Roses
  • A City of Ghosts: Stories
  • Brittle Shadows
  • Three Bedrooms, Two Baths, One Very Dead Corpse
  • Executive Lunch (A Sedona O'Hala Mystery #1)
  • Getting Away is Deadly (A Mom Zone Mystery, #3)
  • Keeper of the Keys (Charlie Chan, #6)
  • De Bello Lemures, Or The Roman War Against The Zombies Of Armorica
  • Fresh Kills
  • Dragon Town
  • Not Telling
  • Secondary Targets
  • Crossing the Line
  • Sacred Secrets (Jacody Ives Mystery)
  • Night Game
  • Cloud Crash: A Technothriller
While her dream of biking and camping around the United States never came true, Cathy Wiley has achieved her childhood goal of writing mysteries.

She’s happiest when plotting stories in her head or on the computer, or when she’s delving into research, be it hands-on or in books. (Or yes, the Internet, but she makes certain to confirm that information.)

She draws upon her experience as an event plan

Cassandra Ellis (2 books)
  • Two Wrongs Don't Make a Write

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Shadow District
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Play Dead (Elise Sandburg Series Book 1)
  • The Weight of Lies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Thief Taker (The Thief Taker, #1)
  • The Things We Wish Were True
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Adversary (A Chris Bruen Novel Book 1)
  • Daisy in Chains
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Jury Master (David Sloane, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Look Behind You (Kendra Michaels, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Last Town (Wayward Pines, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Wayward (Wayward Pines, #2)
  • Pretty Little Things
  • Social Death
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder at the Flamingo (A Van Buren and DeLuca Mystery #1)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Wings Of Fire (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Pretty Dead
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Mother Knows Best (A Margie Peterson Mystery)
  • Damage Control
  • The North Water
    $9.99 $3.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Murderous Marriage (Agatha Raisin, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Watchers Of Time (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #5)
  • Bone River
    $3.99 $0.99
  • As The Crow Flies (DI Nick Dixon #1)
  • Jaws
    $10.99 $2.99
  • The Widow File (Dani Britton, #1)
  • Blacklands
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Prisoner of Heaven (Cemetery of Forgotten Books, #3)
  • The Romanov Cross
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Krakow
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Killing Ruby Rose (Ruby Rose #1)
  • A Purple Place for Dying: A Travis McGee Novel
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Dead Water (Shetland Island, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Pines (Wayward Pines, #1)
  • The Newsmakers
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Intrusion (A Chris Bruen Novel)
  • Brighton
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Lowcountry Bonfire (Liz Talbot Mystery #6)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Widow's Watcher
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Livia Lone (Livia Lone, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Among the Mad (Maisie Dobbs, #6)
    $9.99 $3.99
  • A Blood Thing
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Baltimore Blues  (Tess Monaghan, #1)
  • Vanishing Girls
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Aftermath (Inspector Banks, #12)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Girl in the Moss (Angie Pallorino, #3)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Grace
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Carved in Bone (Body Farm, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Map of Bones (Sigma Force, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Only the Innocent (DCI Tom Douglas #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Dead Aim (Eve Duncan, #4.5)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blazing Summer (Darling Investigations, #2)