Start by marking “White Sands, Red Menace” as Want to Read:
White Sands, Red Menace

White Sands, Red Menace (Green Glass #2)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  896 Ratings  ·  189 Reviews
It is 1946. World War II is over?ended by the atomic bomb that Dewey Kerrigan's and Suze Gordon's scientist parents helped build. Dewey's been living with the Gordons since before the war's end, before her father died, moving south with them to Alamogordo, New Mexico. At the White Sands Missile Range, Phil Gordon is working on rockets that will someday go to the moon; at h ...more
Published October 2nd 2008 by Viking Children's

To ask other readers questions about White Sands, Red Menace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about White Sands, Red Menace

Lisa Vegan
Dec 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all fans of the book The Green Glass Sea; fans of historical fiction and coming of age novels
While not quite as brilliantly wonderful as the first book, it’s still quite enjoyable to spend time with these people, and it grew on me more & more; by the end it felt like a solid 4 star book. For awhile I vacillated between 3, 3 or 4 stars, but it ended up a full 4 stars for me.

Terry Gordon and her activism (against the bomb) (and smoking and social drinking) reminded me a bit of my mother. (In the early 60s at a family cabin camp we were told to collect and turn in material that I gues
Janni
This is a middle grade historical novel. It is also a critique of the present day adult science fiction genre and its love affair with the space program--and the tension between the optimism fans of the genre claim to long for more of today and the troubling and not always optimistic origins of the things at the core of that optimism.

Along the way, the book realistically depicts female scientists in the 1940s, an era in which we're sometimes led to believe female scientists just didn't exist.

And
Abby Johnson
Mar 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blogged
This sequel to The Green Glass Sea continues the stories of Dewey and Suze as they begin 8th grade in Alamogordo, NM in 1946. Ellen Klages captures perfectly the growing tension and paranoia of Americans at that time, while still creating compelling characters. The book's told in a series of vignettes, which is not normally a style I enjoy, so it's a great testament to the writing and detailed, authentic setting that I enjoyed it as much as I did.

If you liked The Green Glass Sea, pick this one u
Luann
This is a very nice sequel to The Green Glass Sea. I loved being back in Dewey's world and finding out what happened next as she moved with the Gordon family to Alamogordo, New Mexico. World War II has just ended, and Dewey and Suze are in the eighth grade. Just as in The Green Glass Sea, the characters and the setting all feel very real. There were even a few shout-outs to us in the present day. This conversation between Dewey and Mrs. Gordon made me chuckle:
Dewey turned the gas burner on low a
Melody
Oct 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I cracked this sequel to The Green Glass Sea with no little trepidation. I've come to expect sophomore slump from YA books lately. I needn't have fretted; Klages hit this one out of the park. I think I like it better than TGGS despite the absence of Dick Feynman. Werhner von Braun (offstage) is hardly a substitute. Imagine, that's my biggest quibble with this book, that's how good it is.

Klages covers family and its arcane permutations while ably handling adolescence, what it was like to be a non
Wendy
Jan 02, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The writing was still definitely great, but I just didn't find this even close to as compelling as the first book--it was missing that sense of urgency that drove the plot of TGGS. For some reason I also felt like the many many many specific period details were a little jarring or self-conscious this time (I didn't at all in the last book)--maybe because YA books actually written in the 1940s and 50s are almost never specific about things like brands of soda and radio programs. But I did think t ...more
Susann
Oct 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: los-alamos
Wonderful sequel to THE GREEN GLASS SEA. In no way did I want this book to end. I want to keep following Dewey and Suze as they keep asking questions and keep trying to figure it all out. Klages packs a lot of science, history and social issues in here, but never does she come even close to being pedantic. Her characters are too real for that. The scene with Dewey's glasses took my breath away.
Betsy
Jun 30, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When authors choose historical moments in time to set their stories against, surely the temptation must be to go for the big shiny moments, yes? The Alamo. The sinking of the Titanic. Gigantic wars. Dramatic moments in human history are the natural lure and there’s nothing wrong with that. It’s natural. So what are we to make of the author that eschews all that for the seemingly less interesting eras? Say, for example, 1946? World War II is over and America hasn’t fully bought into McCarthyism q ...more
Jamie
I really liked The Green Glass Sea, and

However this book had some issues.
1. It's too sequelly - it took me a while to catch up to the plots of the 1st book - who is dead in Dewey's family? What's the relationship and...

2. OMG this is EVERYTHING I hate in historical fiction! Research passed off as plot, complete with two HORRIBLY HAM FISTED ways of shoving information in:

A character, when cooking, complains about how long it is taking and says (paraphrased) "I've heard there is an oven in develo
Sheila
This book is a sequel to The Green Glass Sea, and while it was not as wonderful and emotional to me as the first book, it was still a very good story in its own right.

The book continues the story of two girls, Dewey and Suze, and their lives after the Trinity nuclear bomb testing. The year is now 1946, World War II is over, and girls are now living in Alamogordo, New Mexico while Suze's father works on rocket testing.

What I most enjoyed about this story was how both girls are portrayed as smart
Meg Pontecorvo
The historical accuracy hit the mark on every page, as did the sensuous descriptions of the desert and teenage emotional experience. The plot, however, failed to take off and gain any urgency until the last quarter of the novel--and so (unlike the experience of reading GREEN GLASS SEA), I felt that I was waiting for much of the book for something important to happen to the characters (although I took pleasure in their daily experience of 1940s life in Alamogordo).
Cheryl
Oct 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just didn't *like* this. It tried to cover *so* much ground that everything wound up being treated superficially, lightly. Racism, check. First kiss, check. Sexism, check. Engineer vs. Peacenik, check. Adoption issues, check. Etc. Etc. Good book for a social studies classroom or homeschooling unit. Not so good book for casual readers, imo.
Lora
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had some detaily quibbles, but overall, a delightful sequel to Green Glass. Had Dewey been a touch older, I might have wanted a different end for her. Ya know, the Harley riding Rita is the bomb.
Aaron
Aug 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the sequel to The Green Glass, Klages continues the 1940s story of Suze and Dewey, two young girls who have spent the last several months living at the research community where the atomic bomb was develop. Dewey's father and both of Suze's parents were scientists working on the project. Toward the end of the last book, Dewey's father had passed away due to an accident, and Suze's parents took her in.

Suze and Dewey's friendship was off to a bumpy start, but they have since grown to be just lik
Elizabeth K.
Jul 19, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Susann
Shelves: 2009-new-reads
Very satisfying sequel to Green Glass Sea, Suze and Dewey are now teenagers starting high school in Alamogordo after the war while Suze's father is working on Werner von Braun's rockets. If possible, I liked the girls even better than in Green Glass Sea. It's a great demonstration of characters aging well. They're still recognizable as the same kids from the first book, but have changed and grown in realistic and believable ways.

The downside - one of the things I loved the most about Green Glas
Margaret
White Sand, Red Menace picks up where The Green Glass Sea left off. The bombs have been dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and Dewey Kerrigan has moved with her foster family, the Gordons, to Alamogordo, where Phil Gordon is working at the White Sand Missile Range, and Terry Gordon, who has given up her chemistry career for a year for Phil, is helping the scientists' movement to control and limit use of the atomic bomb. Dewey and Suze Gordon are still learning to live with each other, to fit in ...more
Linda
Jan 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ellen Klages has done a wonderful job continuing the story of Dewey Kerrigan and her "adopted" family after the end of World War II first seen in "Green Glass Sea". This is an era of US history that is skipped over leaving us with little knowledge of what it was like in America after "the bomb" was dropped and when the McCarthy era/Iron Curtain began showing its ugly face.
Few people can evoke such a realistic look into the lives of rather ordinary people and the conflicts of the era. Many people
CLM
This sequel to The Green Glass Sea is less lustrous but equally fascinating. The end of that book prevented one from expecting any Happily Ever After but the reality of life for this scientific family post-Los Alamos is sobering. Mrs. Gordon is haunted by what she and fellow scientists created whereas her husband sees the pursuit as science as a necessary goal, regardless of repercussions, because war and progress are connected. Suze Gordon cares about Dewey but resents that Dewey seems to have ...more
Renee
Feb 09, 2010 added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: new
I was excited to learn what happened to Dewey and Suze! The Green Glass Sea, ended abruptly, so I was relieved to learn there was a sequel. Though now that I've read this, I want to know what happens next.

There seems to be so little about the immediate post war years. The war ends, and then it's the 1950's and McCarthyism strikes. But happened right after? That's what I want to know.

The book wonderfully depicts the concerns of the late 1940's, the setting, the wonderul characters and universal
Patricia J. O'Brien
I loved both The Green Glass Sea and its sequel, White Sands, Red Menace. The story works on the personal level of Dewey, who has lost her family and lives precariously by the good will of Suze's parents, and on the historical level of peeling back layers of the secretive world of America's A-bomb project during WWII and after.
This is a middle-grade novel with substance and heart. Dewey breaks convention by being a girl who likes to build gadgets and wants to be an engineer. She doesn't let peo
Jen
Aug 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this book while driving to and from LA with my daughter. Both of us enjoyed the first book more than this one, but this one was great too especially the second half of it. I thought the first half of this book was a slower pace, but the second half got more interesting. I'm glad we didn't give up on it and kept listening. (I would probably rate the first half of the book with 2 or 3 stars) I like that there are so many issues that are woven into the book even though sometimes it se ...more
Mary Harley
Ok, kids, if you want an easy, fun couple of historical fiction books to read this summer, pick up this one and its prequel, the Green Glass Sea. Very well written, the pair of preteen girls in the forties grow up as children of scientists who worked on the "gadget" that ended the war and then dealt with the repercussions of having created the atom bomb. While one parent continues to launch rockets to Protect our Country from wwiii, another launches a letter-writing campaign to end the arms race ...more
Mary Taitt
Feb 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a good read and explored some important areas of thought about the bomb and war, as well as friendship and familial love. I liked it a lot, but was surprised there was nothing (very little) about the communists. The title led me to believe that there would be more. It seems like a transitional book between The Green Glass Sea and a future book. The interpersonal relationships took center stage. This was okay, in fact, it would be wonderful, if it weren't for the expectation develop ...more
Heather
I liked this book, but didn't love it. I still enjoyed the characters and their interactions and development -- there are a lot of plot twists that were interesting and unexpected. However, it wasn't as rich and intriguing in the historical sense as the first one. I kept thinking there would be more about the bombs or the cold war, but there just wasn't. Still, if you enjoyed the first book in the series, this was a decent follow-up. I think the author writes well and it kept my interest through ...more
Kathleen
The sequel to Green Glass Sea which follows same family to the aftermath of atomic bomb research. The father is involved with rocket research and very excited about the potential for space travel and other scientific advancements. The mother is concerned with the dangers of such research, and the children have problems of their own.

A well-done follow-up with interesting and engaging characters in a pivotal time in our history.
Kate Pierson
Oh, Dewey and Suze, it was great to see you again! I loved the Green Glass Sea so much that I ordered the sequel and read it right away. This one isn't QUITE as good as the first, though. Not because of the book, really, but because I missed the fascinating setting of "The Hill." I also worry about Dr. and Dr. Gordon and their relationship. Maybe we'll find out in a future book??

But, still, I loved the world of 1946 America.
GraceAnne
Jul 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While it doesn't have the quite the intensity of The Green Glass Sea it has the same powerful sense of time and place, in this case, the first years after World War II. It's about family, and what makes one, and what girls can do, and what they are allowed to do.
Hanne T
UM OKAY SO THIS MAY HAVE BEEN THE BEST CONCLUSION TO A SEQUEL IVE EVER READ. LIKE SERIOUSLY. SO WELL ROUNDED.

*shuts up to prevent from spoiling anything*

*whispering* BUT THERES A PLOT TWIST

*flailing*

*forces everyone to read it*
Jan
Nov 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although it starts out a lot slower than The Green Glass Sea, it's definitely a follow up that's worth the read.

Chris Bartholomew
I'm a bit thrown by the title and would suggest you ignore it. It is the story of two young girls coming of age in the post atomic age. One girls parents have abandoned her and she lives a comfortable life with a family with their own daughter her age. These parents are having their own degree of difficulty coping with both their relationship and the new atomic world they live in. If it isn't labeled a young readers book it should be as the language of the book is simple. A good story with a poo ...more
  • A Bird On Water Street
  • The Rising Star of Rusty Nail
  • Barbed Wire Baseball
  • Mare's War
  • When the Whistle Blows
  • The Case of the Bizarre Bouquets (Enola Holmes, #3)
  • Louisa May's Battle: How the Civil War Led to Little Women
  • Shooting at the Stars
  • Benno and the Night of Broken Glass
  • Freedom Song: The Story of Henry "Box" Brown
  • Shooting the Moon
Ellen Klages was born in Ohio, and now lives in San Francisco.

Her short fiction has appeared in science fiction and fantasy anthologies and magazines, both online and in print, including The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, Black Gate, and Firebirds Rising. Her story, "Basement Magic," won the Best Novelette Nebula Award in 2005. Several of her other stories have been on the final ballot f
More about Ellen Klages...

Green Glass (2 books)
  • The Green Glass Sea (Green Glass #1)

Young Adult Deals

• Things I Should Have Known
    $9.99 $2.99
  • These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Queens of Geek
  • The Lovely Reckless
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Love, Lies & Spies
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Been Here All Along
  • The Way to Game the Walk of Shame
  • Bad Boy
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Haunting Season
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Season of Wonder (The Remnants, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • A Severed Wasp: A Novel
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
“All this talk about what a marvelous future science'll bring us? Art can change things just as much.' She stubbed out her cigarette. 'Maybe better.'

'Why's that?'

'Art doesn't kill anyone.”
2 likes