Start by marking “Round Robin (Elm Creek Quilts, #2)” as Want to Read:
Round Robin (Elm Creek Quilts, #2)

Round Robin

(Elm Creek Quilts #2)

Round Robin reunites readers with the Elm Creek Quilters in this poignant and heartwarming follow-up to The Quilter's Apprentice, Jennifer Chiaverini's acclaimed debut novel. "She chose green and blue for the colors of Elm Creek Manor. She chose blue for truth and green for new beginnings . . ."

The Elm Creek Quilters have begun a round robin...a quilt created by sewing
Published April 1st 2001 by Plume (first published April 4th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Round Robin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Round Robin

Start your review of Round Robin (Elm Creek Quilts, #2)
Raven
Dec 01, 2010 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the first book in this series and that's why I picked this book up, the second in the Elm Creek Quilts series. I still enjoyed reading about quilting and getting to know each of the characters a bit more in depth since each chapter (basically) highlights a different character. However, I just got really annoyed with the main character, Sarah, and her immature attitude toward her mother. She and her mother do not get along and I can understand Sarah's feelings, but she seems unwilling ...more
Beverly
Jan 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a series that I really enjoy. Although the books are "cozy" they still tackle some difficult issues regarding mothers and daughters, husbands and wives and families in general. This is only the second book in the series but since I have read a few "out of order", I already feel like I know some of these women. I have a group of friends that I have cross stitched with for about 25 years and the stories from Elm Creek just ring true. So, if you like cozies and crafting, I think you would ...more
Dawn
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book for quilters! The third book is on order.
chucklesthescot
Having enjoyed the first one, I was very disappointed in this one. What made the first book so good was how much I liked the characters. This time round, all the characters I had liked, other than Sylvia, had turned into horrible characters!

Lets start with Diane, who doesn't really seem to have much interest in her kids or their interests, and likes to show off in front of the neighbours. She likes to judge her friends and tell them what they should be doing based on her standards, which I also
Milly
Jun 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Another great book! I have fallen in love with these characters.
Donna
Mar 24, 2012 rated it did not like it
so many books, so little time; at least now I can cross some off my to-do list. The 2nd book in this series depleted my enthusiasm for more. I had looked forward to it; but found it to have too much whining in it, and then miraculous happy-ever-after endings. I envision more of the same in the ensueing books in the series.
Roberta Sievers
May 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Not much of a plot - more just expansion of characters from the first book in the series. Also, the editing was terrible with a lot of mixed up character names in the wrong places.
Jen
Apr 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Not a life-changer. But a nice easy read. Did make me cry ... but then again, I've got hormones surging these days.
Lindsay
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With every book in this series makes me love the series even more. Best cure to a book hangover is the next book in the series.
Nonnie Reads
Feb 24, 2018 rated it liked it
2. Round Robin (2000)

This book is the second of the series.... If you read this series do so in order. You can read many of the books as stand alones but Ms Chiaverini reiterates the background theme/ plot in most of the books. This was the series biggest failing as it tended to make the series redundant and occasionally boring. I did like the story within a story format as I found this to be unusual. These books will not be on my re-read book list and I have plans to give up the books I have
Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount)
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, 2018
I'm not really a chick-lit reader, and this book is definitely trying very hard to be solidly in the chick-lit genre. In this story a group of quilters deals with various personal problems. Several of these problems stem directly from the older women bullying or otherwise trying to control the younger women in their circle. Annoyingly, by the end of the book, the resolution never really deals with the bullying. This does leave the possibility open for future books that the younger women may ...more
Kami S
Dec 11, 2018 rated it liked it
This one was hard for me to rate. It doesn't fall into the same genre as most of my books. This book takes place in present time... it's about a group of women, "the Elm Creek Quilters".... it basically takes a deeper look into each woman's life and what circumstances she finds herself. One is dealing with rebellious teens; another, discovering her husband's unfaithful; one discovers she has half siblings; one woman is dealing with guilt from her own unfaithful, loveless marriage yrs ago; a ...more
Evelyn
Jul 04, 2017 rated it liked it
I did not read the first book in this series, but it did not seem to be a problem. The author did a great job of re-introducing the characters and I did not feel lost at all.
The group of women who make up the Elm Creek quilters are very diverse, in age, career and lifestyle, but are brought together by a common interest. I enjoy reading about friendships like these that evolve over time.
It seemed a little unrealistic that everyone in the group would have a major event to deal with in their
M.J. Perry
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
The second of the Elm Creek Quilters series continues the tradition of cozy books and carries on with the story of the Elm Creek Manor quilting retreat and school. Like the first book, it also teaches a bit about quilting and quilting history to the reader.

Sarah and Matt have moved into Elm Creek Manor and the business is well under way when the women decide to create a round robin quilt for their friend and mentor Sylvia. During the process of making the quilt each of the women confronts a
Lisa
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-reads, audio
This series about a family and their ancestral manor; lost but for the two previously estranged sisters-in-law; is with this book revived. Elm Creek Manor, previous home of Bergstrom thoroughbreds, is now home to the Elm Creek Quilters and their new quilters retreat. Readers will find themselves wanting to visit and even to try their hand at quilting. It seems quilting becomes therapeutic even to non quilting visitors. The trials that threaten the characters over the course of this book are at ...more
Diane Ferbrache
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: friendship, family, quilts
Book 2 in the series is just a sweet, engaging and endearing as the first. We learn more about each of the quilters and I'm growing attached to each of these women (& men) who are involved. I love the way Chiaverini is slowly revealing the backstories of each of the characters -- so much like we slowly learn the stories of new friends as a friendship grows.

These are not high-action plotlines, but rather stories that are steeped in real life and real emotions and take the reader away to a
Jo
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wasn't too sure when I picked up this book to read. However, I was at the hospital with my husband and had run out of anything to read that day and found this in the "reading shelves" available. But I quickly became engrossed in the book and its characters. This obviously is the second in a series but certainly was a standalone novel. Will have to research additional ones. The characters become alive and you find yourself wanting to know more and more about them. And since I know a little about ...more
Julie Cave
Dec 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Book #2 in the Elm Creek Quilts series lacked the momentum the first novel had but it's ending saved the day. Sylvia is still the main character but her young assistant, Sarah, turns up in the story along with her mother whose surprise visit is an unwanted one, creating plenty of conflict. I wish the author had limited her story line to those few characters as the story got off track when five other quilters/staff's personal lives have to be explored. Still, I like this series, but that may ...more
Msgadget
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jennifer Chiaverini did it AGAIN. I raced through this second in the Elm Creek Quilts series even though there wasn't a single murder, double-cross or chase through the netherworld. How in the world... I enjoyed the continuing sagas in the lives of the quilters and their very real tangled emotions and, yes, even the rosy resolutions that close each book. In Round Robin more detail is added to the histories begun in the first of the series and, as I launch the third, I can't wait to find out ...more
Eliza
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Happily, just what I expected.

Round Robin turned out to be the story I expected, but was the novel I needed this week.
It kept my attention through waiting, lawyers negotiating, breath holding, and celebrating.
Thank you, Jennifer Chiaverini for writing the book I needed.
This review is really a reminder for myself rather than a true review, but its the one I need to write in appreciation, even if it means nothing to other readers.
Deborah
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Chiaverini's ongoing character development of the lovely people in the Elm Creek Quilters group never fails to disappoint.

A favorite quote from this book:

"It is unfair to judge an entire journey by the first step. Often what seemed to be the right path turned out to lead in the wrong direction. But just as often, perseverance along a hard trail would lead to an important destination The potentential reward made the journey worthwhile."
Marilyn
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
A lovely tale of friendship and family mixed with a bit of quilting. Each lady in the story has her own story to tell, her own challenges, but they are there for each other. The Round Robin quilt for which the book is named is begun for Sylvia as a surprise with each lady adding her own unique touch to the finished project.
Sheridan Colbourn
This is not just a book for quilters or cozy readers

The character are beautifully drawn. They come alive with depth and character as they face their challengers. I was spellbound throughout the story. The elm street quilters have become my friends and I feel like I care about them.
Kellie Davis
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent story of friendships

This book is so heartwarming. The characters are all relatable and likable, and they overcome challenges yet remain close friends. You feel each characters pain and enjoy their happiness. Its well written and not just for those interested in quilting.
Debbie
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is another series that I have been away from too long and it is so good that I need to visit more often. The characters are so interesting and I really like the setting of a quilting camp, and bonus...set in Pennsylvania, and near State College...which is about 45 miles from me.
Guardian Sherry
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Companionship

This story is about friendship and hardships. I truly enjoyed every word of this book.
I imagined the quilts in my own lap... stoking them and basking in the sunshine on the porch with my new friends.
Rachel
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved this. Got into the personal life of each member of the Elm Creek Quilters, and wove that into the patterns of a quilt. Again - like first one in this series - the Quilter's Apprentice - a pleasant and quick read.
Trisia
Jun 03, 2017 added it
A delightful book (series) which confronts life issues head-on, friends, mothers and daughters, husbands, love, city politics and shows how grace overcomes all. The characters have all found a place in my heart.
Lyn Soulia-Smith
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Have you ever gotten so involved with the story and characters that you have gotten angry with them? I truly enjoy the story and glad that I found this series. Have already started the next book, The Cross-Country Quilters. If you haven't read any of this series please do!
Lisa Post
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loving this series again. This is my second time through it. After reading a couple books that weren't worth my time I really wanted to just have something to read before bed that I knew I would enjoy. This series fits the bill for me.

• Winter's Proposal
  • A Single Thread (Cobbled Court Quilts, #1)
  • Threading the Needle (Cobbled Court Quilts, #4)
  • From Here to Home (Too Much, Texas #2)
  • Mystery on Valentine's Day: a Ginger Gold & Violet Carlyle Mystery short story
  • Noel Street
  • The Season of Us
  • Finding Christmas
  • The Fifth Avenue Story Society
  • Murder on Fleet Street (Ginger Gold Mysteries #12)
  • The Singing Stones
  • Murder at High Tide
  • Paw of the Jungle (Paw Enforcement #8)
  • A Thread of Truth (Cobbled Court Quilts, #2)
  • Wedding Ring (Shenandoah Album)
  • Ties That Bind (Cobbled Court Quilts, #5)
  • The Dog Who Knew Too Much (Paws and Claws Mystery, #6)
  • What Would a Holy Woman Do?
Jennifer Chiaverini is the New York Times bestselling author of several acclaimed historical novels and the beloved Elm Creek Quilts series, as well as six collections of quilt patterns inspired by her books. A graduate of the University of Notre Dame and the University of Chicago, she lives with her husband and two sons in Madison, Wisconsin. About her historical fiction, the Milwaukee Journal ...more

Elm Creek Quilts (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • The Quilter's Apprentice (Elm Creek Quilts, #1)
  • The Cross-Country Quilters (Elm Creek Quilts, #3)
  • The Runaway Quilt (Elm Creek Quilts, #4)
  • The Quilter's Legacy (Elm Creek Quilts, #5)
  • The Master Quilter (Elm Creek Quilts, #6)
  • The Sugar Camp Quilt (Elm Creek Quilts, #7)
  • The Christmas Quilt (Elm Creek Quilts, #8)
  • Circle of Quilters (Elm Creek Quilts, #9)
  • The Quilter's Homecoming (Elm Creek Quilts, #10)
  • The New Year's Quilt (Elm Creek Quilts, #11)