Start by marking “Guardians of Paradise” as Want to Read:
Guardians of Paradise

Guardians of Paradise

(Hidden Empire #3)

Most people believe the Sidhe are long dead, exterminated centuries ago when the males of the race rose up and fought alongside the humans subjugated and enslaved by the female Sidhe. But Jarek Reen knows better: he's discovered, the painful way, that the Sidhe are alive and well, and still screwing over humanity.
Published September 1st 2010 by Gollancz (first published February 9th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Guardians of Paradise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Guardians of Paradise

Start your review of Guardians of Paradise
Paul
Nov 01, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2015
It is thought that the Sidhe are ancient history, wiped out a millennia ago. Jake's sister has just been murdered by the Sidhe, and they are now after a old friend of his and her partner. Foiling the attempt on their lives, he helps them escape.

The Sidhe think that they are dead and they join Jarek in his crusade in fighting back against the desire of the Sidhe to enslave the human race again. As they traverse space, the discover a dark secret hidden in the most unlikely of places.

With chapters
Jodie "Bookish"  Cook
Dec 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Book review

Title: Guardians of paradise

Author: jaine fenn

Genre: science fiction/ psychological/ action

Rating: ***

Review: With Guardians of Paradise, Jaine Fenn is three novels into her Hidden Empireseries. It is a solid start to a writing careernot the spectacle that publicists hope for nor, in my opinion, the failure which some considered her earlier novels to be. Principles of Angels presented an unusual world, where assassination is the formal mechanism of justice. It also introduced Taro, a
C
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thought I'd reread a favourite Space Opera on my holidays this year.
Things I'd remembered. That this where the protagonists from the two books join forces. Corporate espionage as a fact of life on a Polynesian landscape.
Things I'd forgotten. The scale of the world building in this series. We're still getting revelations that explain the set-up, cast things in a new light, and set up more problems. Quite how annoying the teenage boy's point of view is (It's supposed to be. I just wanted to grab
TeaDrinker
Mar 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Ove
Sep 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I love Jaine Fenn. Her characters and intriguing world building is superb. She is one of my favorite authors and Guardians of Paradise is one of my most anticipated books this year. Let me start by telling you a bit background.

The Hidden Empire series is about the Sidhe, a race  with overwhelming mental powers and beauty that has been screwing with the human race in secret for a long time. Centuries ago their Protectorate ruled the human race. But their tyranny was so great that the males of
Liviu
Oct 25, 2010 rated it liked it
This continued a long string of ok'ish but disappointing 2010 Gollancz novels for which i had the highest expectations; I am not sure that it is due to me just getting saturated of the relatively light and mindless sf-adventure Guardians of Paradise represents or that the book is considerably weaker than the first two, so I will take a look at the next installment but not sure if i continue the series.

There were flashes when the book was exciting or interesting and I found myself turning pages
Martin Stewart
Oct 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is another in a series of S.F. books by Jaine Fenn, although I don't think you need to have read the previous books to enjoy this one.
I loved meeting up with characters from the previous books again, but also some new characters who have been dragged into the quest to find evidence of the continued existance of a powerful alien race thought to be extinct.
The plot is fast paced and unexpected but also sexy, dark and left me keen to read the next in the sequence.
Adrian Leaf
Sep 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another really fun novel in Jaine Fenn's Hidden Empire series. This time it is an all out space opera continuing the story set up in the first two novels. Really good characterisation as always is backed up by some morally grey storytelling and difficult choices for the characters to ponder. The universe gets bigger, deeper and more interesting.
Matti Tornio
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
Pretty mediocre read. Jaine Fenn writes interesting female characters and Nual is definitely the highlight of the book. Unfortunately way too much time is spent with Taro and Jarek, neither of whom is particularly compelling or likable.

I quite enjoyed the worldbuilding in the first two books in the series. Unfortunately the vacation planet on display here is not nearly as interesting.
Fred Langridge
May 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm still really enjoying the Hidden Empire series. Each book has been quite different; they're all good books and I like the way the bigger picture's being built up.

Jaine Fenn is a great writer of character and of story, and her universe feels neither contrived nor too derivative.
Guy Robinson
Feb 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf
Reads like a James Bond film crossed with a Call of Cthulhu investigation.

Very satisfying in terms of technology, politics and commerce with plenty of action and Jaine Fenn's distinctive female voice that bothers itself with otherwise overlooked women thus painting a fuller picture.
John
Sep 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another epic book from Jaine Fenn. Can't wait for the fourth instalment!
Craig
Sep 06, 2015
Lawlie
Apr 20, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Die Starfarer-Verschwörung (Die Sax-Chroniken, #1)
  • PopCo
  • The Screaming Staircase (Lockwood & Co., #1)
  • The End of Mr. Y
  • The Burn Zone (Haan, #1)
  • Mostly Harmless (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #5)
  • Die Vernichteten (Die Verratenen, #3)
  • Die Verschworenen (Die Verratenen, #2)
  • The City of Dreaming Books (Zamonia, #4)
  • Warum gibt es alles und nicht nichts? Ein Ausflug in die Philosophie
  • So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #4)
  • Protektorat (Die Welten der Skiir #2)
  • The October Man (Rivers of London, #7.5)
  • One of Our Thursdays Is Missing (Thursday Next, #6)
  • Knife (Harry Hole, #12)
  • Life, the Universe and Everything (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #3)
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Bastard Legion #1)
  • The Drowned World
Truth may be stranger than fiction, but it's also far harder to track down. Jaine Fenn has had numerous short stories professionally published, some of which appear in the collection 'Downside Girls' and has won the British Science Fiction Association Short Fiction award. Her Hidden Empire space opera sequence, published by Gollancz, starts with the novel 'Principles of Angels'. Her Shadowlands ...more

Hidden Empire (5 books)
  • Principles of Angels
  • Consorts of Heaven
  • Bringer Of Light
  • Queen of Nowhere (Hidden Empire, #5)