Start by marking “I Love Him to Pieces (My Boyfriend Is a Monster, #1)” as Want to Read:
I Love Him to Pieces (My Boyfriend Is a Monster, #1)

I Love Him to Pieces

(My Boyfriend Is a Monster #1)

Can love survive the zombie apocalypse? Maybe Dicey's first chance at a real relationship was dead from the start. She's the star of her high school baseball team, and Jack's the star of the science program. Her idea of a study session includes sleeping in the sun, and his idea of a good game involves dungeons and dice. But opposites start attracting when they're assigned ...more
Published 2011 by Graphic Universe (first published August 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about I Love Him to Pieces, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Love Him to Pieces

Oct 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Any girl who brings along a baseball bat on a first date has an automatic place in my heart! :D

I Love Him to Pieces blends cute and creepy moments with fun and touching illustrations to create a fast paced introduction to this graphic novel series. A “jock” falling for the “geek” tale filled with zombies? HELLO! I’m in!

Dicey Bell and Jack Chen are simply adorable! Dicey’s cute, smart, and fierce charm comes through and sparkles in her eyes! And she has set her sights on the geeky and loveable J
Beth McCraw
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’ve never been much into graphic novels, but while perusing my library for new releases in ebook, this collection showed up and looked kinda cute. I liked it!
Sesana
Here we have the first in the My Boyfriend is Dead series of graphic novels. From the two additional subtitles (My Date is Dead Weight or He Only Loves Me For My Brains) it's obvious that it's a zombie story. The zombie part actually takes awhile to build. The first half of the book is concentrated on the very natural and very cute growing relationship between Dicey (star of her high school baseball team) and Jack (D&D nerd). Dicey is no dumb jock, and Jack is no socially inept dork, and the ...more
Shannon
I've read so many books lately that were amazing and I knew that eventually I'd read something I'd hate. I feel bad saying this, but I honestly did not like this at all. Most of the reviews had glowing things to say. I just didn't like anything about it. I'm fine with comics and I loved the idea of a zombie outbreak. It all just fell flat to me. It tried to be funny, but I didn't laugh or smile once.

I had two main problems with this graphic novel. First, the artwork. Not trying to sound shallow,
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
Isn't that nice, the jock (Dicey) and the geek (Jack Chen) go on a date, since well, clearly they like each other and I'm like aww there kind of, no, they are freaking adorable. I think the expressions and how they drawn, helps make the couple, like I said, freaking adorable. You can't help but smile.

Then what happens when there on their date, freaking zombies. Don't you hate it when that happens? Worst, date, ever?

Anyway, while looking for graphic novels to read, this series showed up and well
Liz
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit, I really am liking this series more than I thought I would.
Chibineko
I finally got the chance to read this book via my local library and I'm glad that I finally got a chance to read this entry into the MBIAM series. I've heard that it was one of the better stories and for the most part this was true.

I have to say that my favorite aspect of the book had to have been the artwork. It was playful when it needed to be but still managed to bring across the serious tone of the story once Zombigeddon breaks loose. I could easily re-read this for the value of the artwork
Krystl Louwagie
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
This kind of just felt like it was trying too hard to fill a spot, a market. I didn't realize that these were all contained in each issue and don't continue onto the next. It doesn't give enough time to develop any attachment to the characters or story, really.
As a side that really doesn't have much to do with the story, there was this part that the male soft ball players were made to dress in dresses for making fun of the girl on the softball team, and it was supposed to be funny. And it is, I
Matti Karjalainen
Evonne Tsangin käsikirjoittama ja Janina Görrissenin piirtämä sarjakuva "I Love Him to Pieces or My Date is Dead Weight or He Only Loves Me for My Brains" (Lerner, 2011) aloittaa nuorille suunnatun My Boyfriend is a Monster -sarjan. Se on floridalaiseen high schooliin sijoittuva tarina nörttipojasta ja baseballia pelaavasta urheilijatytöstä, joiden välille syntyy romanssi suunnilleen samoihin aikoihin kuin kaupungin kaduilla alkaa kuljeksia eläviä kuolleita.

Sarjakuvan sinänsä sympaattinen romans
Neveen Badr (Seraphina Reads)
Hilarious graphic novel, it's really one of the cutest graphic novel I have ever read in my life. The pictures really told me about the characters; I felt like I did not need words to make me believe there feelings. I totally loved the relation between the characters *The Geek and The Sport's Freak* she was a girl in a boys' team. Jack is the geek that I would totally date. He plays Fantasy games, he is so smart, he is nice. I take off my hat for the wonderful Evonne the creator of these lovely ...more
Sylvia
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, graphic-novels
surprisingly cute and funny.
Lisa
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute
Aimeekay
Nov 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
So my daughter brought this one home for me from school. (Told me she saw zombies and figured I’d like it, what a good girl!) My Boyfriend is a Monster is a cute little graphic novel. It seemed a bit thin at first, but those 124 pages had a whole lotta story packed in them.
I thought the interaction between Dicey and Jack was really cute. The first half of the book you get to see how they first start working together and a little bit about their own personal histories. The zombie action doesn’t s
Arminzerella
Sinai C.
I actually really loved the drawings...therefore, that earns a star. The drawings were so cute and at times, the expressions on a character's face would just make me burst out giggling. The other star goes to the overall relationship between the two main characters-- it's so ADORABLE! I thought there would be more drama about it or that one of the guys on the team would actually have a crush on her or something, but it kept it pretty clean and they seem so sweet together. The last star goes ther ...more
Skye Kilaen
If this were a movie, I'd own it and watch it repeatedly. Nerdy-cute smart high school kid Jack Chen is paired with exuberant, athletic Dicey Bell on the classic "parent an egg" project. Mutual crush ensues, which is adorable, but trouble in paradise arises on their first date. A disease outbreak, during which Jack is supposed to be taken to his scientist parents by special agents. Nothing could go wrong there, eh? The page size means that Görrissen packs a lot of action and detail into a small ...more
verbava
Oct 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
з паранормальною романтикою сумно те, що вона рідко буває самоіронічна. навіть якщо в аторів наче є почуття гумору, воно не заходить на метатекстовий рівень – а цього іноді бракує, коли йдеться про міжвидове схрещування і спільну боротьбу за долі світу у всяких апокаліпсисах (незалежно від масштабу).
тому "i love him to pieces" особливо симпатичний: нехай тут значно більше романтики, ніж паранормального (появи зомбів доводиться чекати понад півкнижки), зате з жанровими кліше комікс розбирається д
Sarah Rosenberger
Apr 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
2.5

When baseball star Dicey and science nerd Jack are paired up for a school assignment, they fall for each other despite their many differences. Then zombies attack. The end.

There's nothing original or substantive about this silly little story, but the cute art and romance make it a good choice for fluffy romance lovers, zombie aficionados, and comics fans who have 20 minutes to kill.
Aubrey
Jan 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
I decided to take a short break in the YA fiction to check out this charming and hilarious graphic novel. I'm glad that I did. I Love Him to Pieces was entertaining from the beginning and very original. I always enjoy reading about strong female heroines.
Mary Wyman
Oct 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Cute. Enjoy :)
⋆☆☽ Kriss ☾☆⋆
This is a really cute and simple comic. It's about the size of a one-shot manga, which is essentially what this is, but with a more American comic-book styling to the word bubbles and what not. The plot is very straightforward; Dicey and Jack get paired up on an assignment, grow close, go out, and then on their first date, a "zombie disease" breaks out and they run around trying to stay safe, causing Jack to get bitten and start to get infected.

Due to the short nature of the story, the plot is
Emily
Definitely aimed at a younger teen audience, this is a zombie book with the least amount of bite and happiest outcome I've ever seen.
The romance was cute if predictable (and I'm not just talking about the title), but it was nice to see the characters have more sides to them other than just 'girl jock' and 'boy nerd'.
I picked this one up because it was free and I have a soft spot for zombies, but I don't think I'll go out of my way to read the others.
Also, the title technically lied and I'm not c
Arnela
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was a fairly strong start to a series [that doesn't need to be read in a specific order because it does not hold the same plot over several volumes but merely deals with the same premise]. The characters had a nice dynamic, it was pretty funny, the story was good even if I found it feeling rushed in a few parts. The art was very well done and nicely detailed, though I did find that the background disappeared a few times when characters remained in the same scene but did not move. Even ...more
Sarah Wyatt
This was definitely better than I was expecting! The romance between the two main character was very sweet. I loved that Dicey was such a strong female protagonist. She's on her school's baseball team, even though she's a girl, and her other teammates totally support her. Even though she's a "jock," she's still really smart and her relationship with Jack is very realistic. Plus, when the zombie outbreak starts, she turns into a complete bad-ass!
Kelsey
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this little comic to see if it would fit with my next display shelf at work. It is a cute story and a very quick read. Perfect for young teens and it will fit perfectly in my zombie book display.
MaKenzie Parish
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a really good book but it is a short read and is very quick to finish. But I really like this book the way it is set and the timing but there is not a lot of details and it doesn't show what the charaters are feeling.
Mandy
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book! it did take a bit to get to the main plot focus though, and there was some fluff, but nothing too unbearable. I thought this was a cute, creepy love story packed with humor and some unexpected twists and turns! I'll definitely be continuing with the rest of the series!
Summer
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!!! An awesome female character that takes no crap that falls in love with an adorkable nerd during a zombie apocalypse.....do I need to say more....didn't think so! I highly recommend this one and cannot wait to read others in this series!
Mel
This was cute. It did stay just a *little* too long in cutesy high school mode before the zombie plague broke out and I had a hard time staying interested in teenagers. (I'm too old!) But it was a nice changeover to have a girl jock! One I would recommend to younger adults.
Hauntedbybooks
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
This was a fun graphic novel. There are plenty of cute and creepy moments! I really liked it!

• Made for Each Other (My Boyfriend Is a Monster, #2)
  • I Date Dead People (My Boyfriend Is a Monster, #5)
  • My Boyfriend Bites (My Boyfriend Is a Monster, #3)
  • Under His Spell (My Boyfriend Is a Monster, #4)
  • A Match Made in Heaven (My Boyfriend Is a Monster, #8)
  • Pavement Chalk Artist: The Three-Dimensional Drawings of Julian Beever
  • The Girl Who Owned a City: The Graphic Novel
  • Thor the Mighty Avenger, Vol. 1
  • Axe Cop, Vol. 1
  • The Never Weres
  • Courtney Crumrin and the Coven of Mystics (Courtney Crumrin, #2)

My Boyfriend Is a Monster (8 books)
  • Made for Each Other (My Boyfriend Is a Monster, #2)
  • My Boyfriend Bites (My Boyfriend Is a Monster, #3)
  • Under His Spell (My Boyfriend Is a Monster, #4)
  • I Date Dead People (My Boyfriend Is a Monster, #5)
  • Wrapped Up in You (My Boyfriend Is a Monster, #6)
  • He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not (My Boyfriend Is a Monster, #7)
  • A Match Made in Heaven (My Boyfriend Is a Monster, #8)