Start by marking “Katy No-Pocket” as Want to Read:
Katy No-Pocket

Katy No-Pocket

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  2,098 Ratings  ·  66 Reviews
Katy's distress at being a kangaroo with no pouch is quickly remedied by a kindly construction worker.
Published December 1st 1973 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1944)

To ask other readers questions about Katy No-Pocket, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Katy No-Pocket

Louize
Sep 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Parents
Recommended to Louize by: my Dad
Shelves: memories

Once, a long time ago, my father gave me a copy of this book. It’s a story of a mother kangaroo that doesn’t have a pocket to carry her joey with. So, she went on about searching for a way.

There’s a very good lesson in a story if it had stayed with you even years have gone by. That is why I so love this book. It’s a story about coping with disability, never giving up, and how a grain of generosity may give a pocketful of possibilities for others.
Find a copy for your kids today.

Same thoughts here
Tanya
Feb 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, i-own-it
I just have to put this on here, because this was my absolute favorite book when I was a little girl. I must have checked it out from the library 20 times.
Maria
Jun 03, 2008 rated it liked it
I feel like there are a lot of little things that I could take exception to with this book. However, when I take it as a whole, I really enjoy it. I think the idea of a pocketless kangaroo is interesting. And I think the solution to her problem is funny too. H.A. Rey's illustrations also really help the story which I think could have been pretty sappy with a different illustrator. I also like that the words "upside down" are printed upside down. I think it's important for publishers to have a se ...more
Pamela Pickering
Aug 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Pamela by: Mom
Thankfully my mother has not thrown this book away. Now that I have a niece and nephews it is fun to pull out when we go back to visit the grandparents. Who can say why I enjoyed this book so much as a child--perhaps it appealed to that strong motherhood force that resides in most women from birth or a child feeling protected by his/her mother. I would recommend it to anyone. The illustrations are still strong in my memory.
Charlotte
May 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I liked it because she had so many pockets.
Amy
The girls actually quite enjoyed this one. An older picture book with surprisingly poor grammar! It made me chuckle. But the story about a kangaroo without a pocket was cute.
Darin Johnston
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Katy cannot carry her son, Freddy, and it causes her great stress! So, she's takes off to see how other mother's take care of their young, wondering if she could carry her son that way. She talks to a birds in a nest, a lioness and her cubs who walk, a crocodile with her baby on her back, and a monkey holding her baby. All these ways are not something that Katy could do, so she asks the wise owl who says simply, "get some pockets!" Off Katy heads to find those pockets, off to the city! Pockets a ...more
Amber
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Another gem from my childhood.
Rani
Apr 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
When Katy the kangaroo needs a pocket, where will she find it?
Jane
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lb
Obviously the irritable owl was my favorite part :)
Kristin
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As a kid, I always thought the solution to Katy's pocket troubles was fantastic! What a lucky kangaroo!
Candice
Mar 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sophie - when she's older
Shelves: picture-books
This book is older than I am! It's aged wonderfully and is still a fun read. I remember reading it to Ellen and we both enjoyed it. I can think of at least one thing that would be different if it were written today. A kangaroo would not ask a lion for advice because they don't live in the same place! But we're talking little kids here. Do they know or care? It's a good story no matter what animals are featured. As the title implies, Katy is a kangaroo without a pocket. She can't carry her baby,F ...more
Dharia Scarab
Dec 27, 2015 rated it liked it

Myself, I go ou
Connie
Jul 23, 2008 rated it liked it
This is a story about a kangaroo who needs to find a way to carry her joey. After asking around and finding other people's methods don't work, she goes to the city where she gets an apron with TONS of pockets, and everybody is happy, etc. etc. etc.

It's not a bad book, per se... it's just that I find it really weird that the animals listed here are not found together in nature. It's one thing to have predators speaking to prey, that happens in picture books all the time, but to have African anima
Alexandria
Jan 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Miranda
Sep 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Katy Kangaroo struggles to find a way to carry her child since she has no pocket. Other animals in her community try to help, but it is not until Katy makes a trip to the city that she finds what she is looking for. The straightforward plot and simple illustrations (easily recognized as the work of illustrator H. A. Rey by fans of Curious George stories) allow young readers to follow and understand this story of compassion and sharing. Important life lessons are demonstrated but not preached in ...more
Elizabethe
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
Cute book about a kangaroo with no pocket.

Great to open up talk about Charity (the workman gives Katy the apron off his back, the owl helps her out of concern for her sadness) and the idea that sometimes things that seem bad (Katy had no pocket to carry her baby) can become the catalyst for good (Katy gets an apron with many pockets and she is able to carry many other animals when they need help).

And, of course every child will recognize the illustrations of H. A. Rey, Curious George's creator.
Rosa Cline
Jan 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
This was an adorable story of a kangaroo that didn't have a pocket to carry her baby in. So she goes and asks other animals how they carry their babies. Finally she goes to the wise owl he tells her to go to the city and get a pocket. She does find a man who has lots of pockets, and she is finally able to carry not only her baby but other babies in the forest too!

This book is a little longer than most 'child' books so you may have to read half of it first then the rest another time to a child t
Jess
Nov 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Kindergarten-ish
Recommended to Jess by: Mom
Shelves: picture-books, z_10
Katy does not have a pocket but she does have a baby kangaroo. How are they supposed to get around? Tears! Hey, she could ask other animals how they carry their young, yes? And, if that doesn't work out, do you think the answer might be in the city? (YES!)

Oh it's cute. Poor Katy. Sure, she cries a little too often, the wording is odd in maybe three places, and it's a bit long for kindergarten (where it fits for story time) but it's an interesting problem, the solution is good, and the kids like
Evan
Dec 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
In this book, Katy doesn't have a pocket to carry Freddy and so she cries a lot. Then she asked other mommas how they carry their babies. The owl told her to go to the city to find her own pocket. They were looking around and then they saw a man with an apron and gave it to her and tied it on her neck. Then she could hardly say thank you because she was so happy. When she got home, she carried all of the animals in her pockets because she had more pockets than anyone. My favorite part was all of ...more
Kara Roberts
Great book on fitting in. Reading this book to children would help eliminate classroom bullying.
I would also use this book for those early readers that can grasp more and bigger words. There is more text on each page that would help motivate the reader. However, it could be used for those children that need a slower version of reading. This book supplies great pictures and 'not too hard of' text. This book is GREAT! I will use it in my classroom.
Patty
Nov 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-spanish
Rhaynes5
Katy No-Pocket is a story of a kangaroo who has no pouch in search for help to find her pocket. This story in the classroom will be a great lesson for students. This book will provides on lesson on friendship as well as acceptance. The illustrations will also provide entertainment for students as well.
Kandice Buck
Nov 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animals
Katy the kangaroo has not pocket to carry her baby. The baby gets tired and Katy cries because she wants to carry the baby but she can not do it. She tries many ways but fails each time. Finally she meets a construction man who is wearing an apron with many pockets. Katy talks to him and he gives her his apron for her to use. Katy's problem was finally solved and she was able to carry her baby.
Margaret Behr
I'll withhold from assigning stars to this since I'm rating it based on its effectiveness in storytime. The story is entertaining and silly, but far too long for a storytime session. In a small group (or one-on-one), I think it's much better.
Samantha
Nov 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Este libro me ha dejado casi en lágrimas en la primera página. Me encanta esta historia y me siento tan feliz cuando llego a la final, porque todo salga bien. Un corazón calentamiento historia acerca de la bondad de los demás. =)
Elanor
Sep 28, 2015 added it
All by herself!
Robin
Nov 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Always a readaloud favorite. I love the cityscape spread.
Josee Meehan
May 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unique story with good illustrations

A cute story about a kangaroo with no pocket who wound up with enough pockets to carry the other forest babies.
Nick Cherry
Apr 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I think this book is great because it tells students that not everyone is alike and that is okay. It also talks about kangaroos, you could include in a lesson.
  • The Little Rabbit
  • Ask Mr. Bear
  • Play with Me
  • The Big Green Pocketbook
  • Pretzel
  • If Jesus Came to My House
  • Jesse Bear, What Will You Wear?
  • Choo Choo