Start by marking “Cold Case” as Want to Read:
Cold Case

Cold Case (Carlotta Carlyle #7)

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  821 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Twenty-four years ago, teen prodigy Thea Janis vanished from her upper crust Boston prep school. At first called a runaway, she's later named among the victims of a serial killer, a man doing life in Walpole Prison.

Then a new manuscript appears in her family's mailbox. The words cry out from the printed pages, Thea's voice unmistakable even a quarter century since the girl
Published April 1st 2007 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Cold Case, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cold Case

Carol
Oct 27, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes books get on our TBR piles in the strangest ways. A few years ago I did a library display on Cold Cases. If you’ve read anything I’ve reviewed you’d probably know I love to read about these unsolved missing person cases. Anyway, I bought the book Cold Case by Linda Barnes for that display. It was not the greatest copy so I circulated it and then threw it on my book shelves meaning to read it in the near future. . A few weeks ago I decided my book shelves could use some weeding and I ca ...more
Ed
May 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#7 in the Carlotta Carlyle series.

Carlotta Carlyle series - Thea Janis a 14-year-old literary sensation has been missing and presumed dead for 24 years. Adam Mayhew shows up on PI Carlyle's doorstep with the first chapter of a manuscript that he says could only have been penned by Thea. When her clothes were later found on a beach, she was presumed a suicide. But Mayhew, a relative of the author, insists that the manuscript - which makes reference to the fall of the Berlin Wall - proves she is a
LJ
COLD CASE - G
Barnes, Linda - 7th in Carlotta Carlyle series

Private investigator and Boston taxi driver Carlotta is searching for the truth about the disappearance of a young author, Thea Janis, who vanished more than 20 years ago. Then a new manuscript arrives, which could only have been written by Thea. But a madman has been convicted of her murder.

It was good, but I like her earlier books better.
Dagny
Jul 24, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A teenage who wrote a famous coming-of-age novel was missing twenty-four years ago. The man, who says he is the mother's brother has a manuscript that he swears was written by "Thea." But Carlotta finds out that the man is an imposter, the mother has no brother. By the time she is warned off the case her interest is so deep that she must find out for herself if the missing Thea is dead or alive.
Susan Keith
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Page turner strong female

This is the first time I read one of these mysteries and I will be purchasing another one. I love Boston. I love the tough female detective and all of the funky friends around her. I also love the cranky characters supporting her too, like her ex boss.
Chrissie
Enjoyable mystery with a very rushed ending.
Spuddie
Mar 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
#8 Carlotta Carlyle mystery set in Boston and environs. Carlotta is approached by an older man who gives her the first chapter of a manuscript to read--he believes that Thea Janis is alive. She had written a brilliant, seductive novel that read well beyond her fifteen years--and then disappeared. She wrote using a particular paper and ink in a certain style and this manuscript certainly reads a lot like Nightmare's Dawn.

But a little digging makes Carlotta wonder what her client is playing at--w
Robert Scott
Finished 04/13/2014. Carlotta is hired to find Thea the author of a manuscript. But the believed author has been in the grave for 24 years. She is also trying to establish whether Paolina's Colum-bian father is alive or not & then is fear-ful he will take P. T is in fact a pen name of a daughter of a prominent MA political family and the whole family is involved in trying to get the governor-ship for the son. They have already committed a daughter to a living death in a psychiatric sanitariu ...more
Jack
Jul 02, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A decent story but I never really warmed to the protagonist in the story. It is set in Boston, which I did like. Since this is part of a series, there was an annoying plot line at the beginning and end that was unnecessary to the story but I guess was there to explain what happened in earlier books? (Hint: do not take in a foster child if you have no intention of making them part of your series! Unless of course you just send her to camp for the entire book!) A lot happens to this very dysfuncti ...more
Judy
May 10, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A complicated mystery, involving a wealthy family and political ambitions -- PI Carlotta Carlyle is hired to find a person dead for 24 years, or to find her latest manuscript, her first published when she was a teenaged, prodigy writer. The twists and turns, and the murders, kept me intrigued and interested -- the ending was sad!

Ryan Mishap
There comes a time in every mystery series life when that old case pops up and must be solved, usually because it has a bearing on a current case or someone just really needs to know what happened. That doesn't mean the story will be bad, just that it will happen. Here it is!
Dee
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not my favorite book in the series. A very disfunctional family, a missing daughter, Mysterious client comes to see Carlotta claiming that after 24 years this daughter is alive. It was a good book but it seemed disjointed.
Gail
May 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this book a lot. It is set in the late 90s in Boston. Very enjoyable and a little old school as it is pre-smartphones and WiFi and High Speed Internet. Good mystery. Great characters that I will hopefully meet again in other books in this Carlotta Caryle series.
Jill
Dec 18, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A 15 year old literary prodigy disappeared 24 years ago and was presumed dead. Carlotta is hired to find out who is writing chapters that appear to be her autobiography . I have been reading this series in order and each one seems to be better than the last.
Joann
May 21, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy the Carlotta Carlyle character. This detective story was a little transparent from the poetry and the promiscuousness of a 14 year old girl. The psychiatrist must have been a real do do head.
Jacqueline Moore
This was a great mystery book. I loved it.
Petula Darling
Nov 27, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series
For enjoyability I'd give this book 4 stars, but the overall story just didn't hold together.
Sherrie
Good writing, good characters. A little over-wrought on the plot.
Cindy
Couldn't get into this one. A lot of talking about whether she's going to take the case or not, a lot of exposition. Show, don't tell, remember? Too bored to finish.
Karen
Aug 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It had a few twists and the main character is bold and sassy.
Ellen
Carlotta Carlyle #7
Megan
Apr 01, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good medium mystery. Think I'd like to try more by the author to get a better feel. Liked her characters for the most part.
Kelley
Nov 26, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good mystery...takes place in the Boston area.
Sandi
Jun 16, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Another good mystery.
Jeanette
This was a good book. I liked this one better then some of the other ones in the series.
Aug 08, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love all the Carlotta Carlyle books. Linda Barnes is an excellent writer.
Debra Morris
Feb 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good. I'm curious about the other books in this series. I enjoyed the main plot but there was a subplot I found confusing. Maybe I should have read the previous books in the series first.
Rebecca Laventure lowrey
great read
Rich
Sep 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decent plot, interesting characters. A little too much vulgarity, but still good read.
Cindy
Jan 22, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first book by this author. It will not be my last! I love Carlotta and her passion for her work. A fun ride!
  • The Cheshire Cat's Eye
  • Alley Kat Blues (Kat Colorado, #6)
  • Blowback (Nameless Detective, #4)
  • In the Dead of Winter
  • Mother Nature (Em Hansen Mystery, #3)
Linda Barnes is an American mystery writer, born and raised in Detroit, and graduated from Boston University"s School of Theater. She is best known for her series featuring Carlotta Carlyle, a 6'1" redheaded detective from Boston. Carlotta Carlyle is often compared to the hard-boiled female detectives created by Sue Grafton and Sara Paretsky. Her new novel, "The Perfect Ghost," which will be publi ...more
More about Linda Barnes...

Carlotta Carlyle (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • A Trouble of Fools (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #1)
  • The Snake Tattoo (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #2)
  • Coyote (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery, #3)
  • Steel Guitar (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #4)
  • Snapshot (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #5)
  • Hardware (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #6)
  • Flashpoint (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #8)
  • The Big Dig (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #9)
  • Deep Pockets (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #10)
  • Heart of the World (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #11)