Start by marking “Frida: A Biography of Frida Kahlo” as Want to Read:
Frida: A Biography of Frida Kahlo

Frida: A Biography of Frida Kahlo

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  45,521 Ratings  ·  368 Reviews
Hailed by readers and critics across the country, this engrossing biography of Mexican painter Frida Kahlo reveals a woman of extreme magnetism and originality, an artist whose sensual vibrancy came straight from her own experiences: her childhood near Mexico City during the Mexican Revolution; a devastating accident at age eighteen that left her crippled and unable to bea ...more
Published October 1st 2002 by Harper Perennial (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Frida, please sign up.
Gursewak Singh ''Peace'' is a name of German origin

Thomas
Sep 06, 2007 added it
Shelves: biography
Have not read this book- I have no reason not think it is good. Just wanted to comment on the cover.
I always hate buying an edition of a book with movie art on the front. Nothing ruins a copy of a Lord of the Rings book like stills from the films on the cover. Carrying that around just makes you look like such a joiner. I know-- it is big money marketing, and there is no stopping it.
But I gotta say, with an artist like Frida Kahlo, who painted so many incredible self protraits, it is just so lam
Caroline
Aug 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star-books, art
I am a little in love with Frida Kahlo, or perhaps I should say intensely so. Surely no-one can read this superb biography without being spun head over heels. Frida Kahlo was truly extraordinary.

frida 444

Vast beauty, intelligence, commitments, loyalties...... and most of all - vast creativity and artistic talent. On top of this, the book also contains a formidable and passionate love story, and an inspiring story about her battles against terrible physical injuries .

Frida was a gargantuan and lion-hea
Mary
Oct 24, 2007 rated it it was ok
This is not an accurate portrayal of Frida's life. She was more of a revolutionary than this book makes her out to be. She was also a gender-bending feminist, and a brilliant painter. Herrera makes her out to be a Diego obsessed, pain obsessed sack of potatoes, and i'm not buying it. Herrera also infers several things to be true from Frida's paintings. She frequently ignores literal translations from paintings including text painted in that reveals the meaning completely on it's own.

I am very s
Zanna
Jul 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 500gbw
This is a long book of a rather short life: Frida Kahlo was injured in a traffic incident when she was eighteen and spent the rest of her life in pain and 'invalidism'. Regardless of this, her persona was so vibrant and vital that her magnetism outshone her vivid, charismatic work, and if she had lived thirty more years the book would doubtless be three hundred pages longer.

But it would have been completely different. Frida would probably not have begun to paint if she had not been immobilised f
Angie
Sep 20, 2007 rated it did not like it
Frida Kahlo was such a complex indiviual, unfortunately Hayden Herrera simplifies this multifaceted artists life and passions. Like many Kahlo scholars in the 1970's she bases many of her ideas on Kahlo's work on gender stereotypes and assumptions. Read "Devouring Frida" if you are interested in a REAL analysis of the artist's life.
Bloodorange
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm probably the last person under the sun not to have seen Julie Taymor's Frida, based on this biography (which is changing as I write these words). I find rating biographies difficult - do I rate a book, or a life? - but I think I can safely give it 3.5-4 stars, with the disclaimer that my ratings are more lenient for biographies than for fiction.

The description of the birth of creativity, and subsequent relations between Frida and Diego, and other people in her life, were interesting, thorou
Paul
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography, favorites
In Depth, thorough and intriguing. However, I did not always agree with the author's interpretive nature of assuming to understand what Frida was feeling or thinking, and forcing these interpretations by consistent repetition.
Michelle Curie
Frida Kahlo. To most people, she is the Mexican painter with the intense stare and dominant brows, known for her self-portraits. At the same time she has become an icon. I've seen people drinking out of Frida-cups, wearing Frida-socks and getting Frida-tattoos. This biography really made me understand what it was that made this woman so magnetising.

A woman in love with life

Frida never had it easy. She grew up during the Mexican Revolution, which certainly wasn't the easiest time to be a Mexican
Addicted to Books
5 Mesmerizing Well researched- the best biography I have ever read stars!

This is the best biography I believe ever to be written or this is the best biography I have ever read.

I have never cared much about Frida Kahlo except the movie which I had been planning to watch for the past 5 years but never did. But now I really want to watch the movie. I saw this book laying next to Marlon by Peter Manso in the library and I have been reading it during the lunch and tea breaks and I finally finished i
Mahsa
Apr 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Mahsa by: قسمتهايي از فيلمش را ديده بودم
تا قبل از اين فريدا را نمي شناختم و خيلي تحت تاثير شخصيت مقاوم و جاه طلب اين نقاش و هنرمند بزرگ قرار گرفتم . داشتم فكر مي كردم فقط يكي از حادثه هاي وحشتناك زندگيش براي تباه شدن زندگي بيشتر زنان ايراني كافي است ! كاش زناني مثل فريدا بيشتر از اين بودند به نظر من قابل افتخارند .
Lu
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“L’ultimo quadro di Frida è appeso nel salotto. In esso, contro un cielo dall’azzurro brillante, scuro a sinistra e chiaro a destra, si vedono alcune angurie, il più popolare dei frutti messicani, intere, a metà, a quarti, spaccate.
...
Otto giorni prima di morire, quando le sue ore erano immerse nelle tenebre della fine ormai prossima, Frida Kahlo intinse il pennello in una vernice rosso sangue e scrisse il suo nome, la data e il luogo dove il quadro era stato dipinto, Coyoacán, Messico, sulla po
LW
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Guardi una foto di Frida Kahlo o uno dei suoi autoritratti - lei diceva "Dipingo me stessa perché sono così spesso sola, perché sono il soggetto che conosco meglio" -
e non può non colpirti quel suo sguardo ,di perforante immediatezza,quella limpidezza
quegli occhi divoranti ,capaci di incantare oppure scettici e in grado di annientarti
e quella vitalità,quella forza inflessibile che è tangibile nei colori che usa.

Quando rideva era con " carcajadas"
uno scroscio di risa profondo e contagioso
che p
Chrissie
Most of us know about the Mexican painter Frida Kahlo and how she suffered. Her suffering is unimaginable. The book begins with the details of her bout with polio and then her accident, when the bus she was riding in, in Mexico City, was hit by a tram. September 17, 1925. Her letters to her boyfriend, Alejandro Gómez Arias, are excruciating to read. He attempts to escape (her); she hangs on with an unrelenting fervor. Letter after letter are included in this book. (Stricter editing please!) Her ...more
Tifnie
Oct 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone interested in art and Frida Kahlo
Shelves: biography
This was a fascinating book. I felt, while reading this book, I also got an art history lesson. I remember Frida Kahlo's art as being dark, vulgar, and somewhat childish, but I didn't really know the history behind the paintings and that of Frida's life story.

From a young age, Frida Kahlo was outgoing, outspoken, and a prankster. She lived life to the fullest and often got into trouble. Unfortunately, a horrific accident at age 18 changed the course of her life. Her paintings are mostly self por
Jodi
Aug 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art-books
I agree as some reviewers have noted that this book is a bit light on Frida's feminist and revolutionary traits, buys into gender stereotytpes somewhat and so misses the complexity of her character and that some of the art analysis given seems to contradict what Frida herself has written on paintings or just seem very unlikely and a bit of a stretch.

One reviewer wrote: 'Herrera makes her out to be a Diego obsessed, pain obsessed sack of shit, and I'm not buying it.'

There is a lot of careful and
Susan
Jan 04, 2013 rated it liked it
My rating reflects the author's efforts and not the interest of the subject. Rated on Kalo, I would have awarded a rating of five, because Frida Kalo is an intriguing and compelling subject, whose life and art are inseparable and awe-inspiring.

I became interested in Kalo when I attended the San Francisco La Raza Homage to Frida Kalo (1978); her work grabbed my gut. Prints of her paintings The Little Deer and her self portraits with monkeys and with Diego Rivera looking out from her third eye hu
Jessica
Feb 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
An excellent biography: why did any more need to be written?? And I must make clear that I read this book in the D.F. in the 80's after seeing her home in Coyoacan, long before the Frida craze began...Yes, I was ahead of the curve! Yes I am a trendsetter! No I'm not a sheep! seriously, Kahlo is a great artist and I hate how commodified her life and her work have become. Some great artists have as their subject the self, and the self is as rich and vast a canvas as any.
Nafise 983
داستان زندگی نقاش مکزیکی بنام فریدا کالو.کسی که زندگیش هم مانند آثارش آزادی خواهانه بود.و به عصیان زنان در برابر شرایط اجتماعی شان میپردازد .کسی که عشاق زیادی داشت و در زندگی جنسی خود همه مرزها حتی جنسیت را نادیده میگرفت.(در بعضی نقدها خواندم که نقش اجتماعی او با فروغ فرخزاد شاعر توانمند ایرانی مقایسه شده بود!!!) در سال ۲۰۰۲ در هالیوود فیلمی با نام فریدا براساس زندگی او ساخته شد. .
LibreriaInfinita
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Una biografia appassionante che parla di una delle donne più forti che io abbia mai conosciuto. Donna con la D maiuscola, artista impressionante e talentuosa. Consigliatissima a tutti gli amanti dell'arte e delle donne forti e risolute. Stupendo!
Eve Kay
Jun 27, 2018 rated it liked it
The beginning and the end were the best parts of this biography. The author writes objectively about Frida's life in these parts and in a way just simply recounts her life and adds passages from other people involved in her life one way or other.
The middle part was tough, I grudged through. I detested the author's way of reducing Frida to this depressive obsessive with no life, no passion, no future, no ambition. Just a wife but not just a wife, a woman desperately attached to a man who did not
Evelina Liliequist
Frida Kahlo är fascinerande och trollbindande både för sitt liv och sin konst, och dessutom med ett så vackert omslag längtade jag att börja läsa biografin. Och visst är det en biografi med gedigen research bakom och ett engagemang från författarens sida, men som bok betraktat hade det behövts jobba lite på upplägget och framställningen. För mig blev detta mest en långrandig trist historielektion, i brist på bättre uttryck. Biografin hade tjänat på att komprimeras en aning och författaren eller ...more
Marci
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in 1998, after seeing a thumbnail image of the Two Fridas in an art history textbook. Thus began my complete obsession with Kahlo. I just stood before the actual painting tonight at the Dallas Museum of Art. It is larger than I thought, and it took my breath away. Ugly crying also may have occurred, but what happens at the DMA stays at the DMA. I'm waiting to hear Herrera speak now, and I'm bummed that I forgot to bring the bio to have her sign. This biography is one of the best ...more
Rob
Apr 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very accessible bio of an amazing artist
Becky
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
brilliant!
Maggie
Jan 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
I love this biography, start to finish. Frida amazes me, and the breadth of this book is astonishing.
ChapterOne
Jul 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another one where I chose to watch the movie instead of read the book. Good one.
Inga
May 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book really brought Frida to life and included interesting insights into her work...
Rosanna
E' stato un bellissimo viaggio, Frida del mio cuore, sino alla fine.
Attraverso le tue parole, le tue lettere, i tuoi colori.
Il dolore ha condotto e raggrumato ogni emozione lì dove la tua vita cambiò trasformandosi in Arte, Amore, Morte.
Dai da pensare nelle lunghe notti, quando le cicatrici urlano pretendendo attenzione, prendendo vita.
Tiho sentita urlare, ti ho vista.
E, ancora, ti verrò a cercare.
Caroline
Frida Kahlo isn't my absolute favorite painter in terms of style, but that's more a matter of taste than anything else. She is without doubt a highly influential, groundbreaking artist, particularly within the field of women-as-subject. "Frida", however, is not so much a book about Kahlo's works as it is about her life. Which it should be, what with the fact that it's a biography and all.

Herrera constructs a detailed, engaging biography that examines the major events of Frida's life--and in part
ania
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
AMAZING!!!!!!! great book, incredible woman. My only critique is that her bisexuality seems glossed over... Not much about her relationships with women.
----

"At bedtime, Levy and the senior Kaufmann tried to wait each other out so as to spend the last moments of the evening in romantic solitude with Frida. When she retired, Fallingwater's complicated double stairway served as the stage for the evening's drama. After biding his time until he thought everyone was peacefully asleep, Levy emerged fr
500 Great Books B...: Frida: A Biography of Frida Kahlo - Hayden Herrera 2 30 Aug 01, 2014 02:09PM
  • Frida Kahlo: 1907-1954 Pain and Passion
  • Georgia O'Keeffe: A Life
  • Call Me Crazy: A Memoir
  • Goya
  • Drawing from Memory
  • Arcimboldo (Taschen Basic Art)
  • On Photography
  • Devouring Frida: The Art History and Popular Celebrity of Frida Kahlo
  • Frida Kahlo: Brush of Anguish
Hayden Herrera is an art historian. She has lectured widely, curated several exhibitions of art, taught Latin American art at New York University, and has been awarded a Guggenheim Fellowship. She is the author of numerous articles and reviews for such publications as Art in America, Art Forum, Connoisseur, and the New York Times, among others. Her books include Frida: A Biography of Frida Kahlo; ...more
More about Hayden Herrera

• Training the Mind and Cultivating Loving-Kindness
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Thomas Jefferson: The Art of Power
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Jesus > Religion: Why He Is So Much Better Than Trying Harder, Doing More, and Being Good Enough
  • The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands
    $9.99 $3.49
  • Forty Autumns: A Family's Story of Courage and Survival on Both Sides of the Berlin Wall
    $11.99 $1.99
“It was worthwhile to come here only to see why Europe is rottening, why all this people - good for nothing - are the cause of all the Hitlers and Mussolinis.” 23 likes
“I am nauseated by all these rotten people in Europe - and these fucking "democracies" are not worth even a crumb.” 21 likes