Start by marking “The Root of Wild Madder: Chasing the History, Mystery, and Lore of the Persian Carpet” as Want to Read:

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  135 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews

Wisdom of a Turkmen proverb.

The Root of Wild Madder opens with an invitation that flows from the same ancient inspiration. "A carpet is poetry itself," an Iranian carpet merchant declares to author Brian Murphy. "You just have to learn to read them." So begins a journey. It follows Persian carpets from the remote villages of Afghanistan and Iran where they are woven --
Published August 1st 2006 by Simon Schuster (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Root of Wild Madder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Root of Wild Madder

Anup
Jul 25, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My dirty ass roommate, in the process of her moving out, left this book behind. Personally, I'd like to think she left it for me as a parting gift, a token of thanks for all those dishes of hers I unquestioningly washed, but going on the plastic tubs brimming with cat-urine soaked clothing she left in the basement, the fact that she just didn't want to pack the thing rings with a more singing kind of truth. This book is one part cheeseball-white-guy-with-a-self-important-psuedo-spiritual-slash-m ...more
Ellen
Apr 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thinking, making
'"If you mean do I think I am special in God's eyes, then no. That is not right," she cut me off, clearly becoming tired of my odd questions. "If you mean do I sometimes sense God while I'm working, then the answer is yes. There are times when I finish a difficult border or gul and must stop just to look at it. It is like a small world all alone and separate: perfect and peaceful. God must be guiding our hands, I think. This is how he gets us to look beyond this world. This is what I feel someti ...more
Zeo
I think this was recommended to me on the basis of me being able to use it to get someone ignorant on West Asian politics and history, and already holding stereotypes about the region and people, quickly up to speed on enough to not be totally ignorant bigots on the subject. He may have been thinking about how the half of this book that is in any way talking about history and culture is heavily diluted and generic: Murphy is trying to write a story about himself in which the history is the tapes ...more
Ptwee
Oct 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Written without ego. Written with humility and respect of an ancient tradition. I just finished reading another carpet-related book, in which the author had a relatively personal scope and did not go very far into the history, technique, designs and regional variations of carpet weaving... It was enjoyable for different reasons. I went in search of a book that would cover the carpet industry from dye to dealer and address some of the modern challenges it may face. I found The Root of Wild Madder ...more
Deborah Ideiosepius
Thoroughly enjoyable, a little bit of a travel book, a little bit of a treasure hunt, a little bit of a love affair.

This book is primarily about Persian carpets, which have fascinated me since, as a teenager, I found some old patterns and started producing cross stitch tapestry versions of carpets. The love affair in the book is between the author and the carpets as he goes chasing information about traditional methods of dying and weaving.

There is just enough information about the regions polit
Ismail Qureshi
Carpets are one of the great crossroads
of fundamental spiritual and creative
yearnings. The challenge for a weaver
is to sense a divine power and represent
this feeling in form and colour.
(Spiritual side of carpets)

The book is a travelogue.
The author follows the carpet trail in Iran and Afghanistan, and studies the handwoven carpet making, and the use of natural dyes. A connection between the ancient carpet art and spirituality forms a part of his quest.
He also outlines the efforts to save
Nezka
Meandering stories aside, the interesting bits of this book include a basic history of Persian carpets--things which have long fascinated me--and a discussion of cultural, political and economic issues surrounding the make and trade in carpets. Unfortunately the author's musings get in the way of the book on more than one occasion, and he doesn't really learn that much about the interesting people he comes across, except how they can serve his needs to learn how to buy an authentic carpet withou ...more
Kathleen McRae
This was a very interesting book....it has been on my want to read list for a long time.It was not what I expected and seemed part travelogue,part history of Persia with a sprinkle of modern day Iranian history and thirdly a personel journey by the author.My initial interest in reading the book was to discover more about the carpets and their history and he did provide some interesting information with many gaps still to be filled.
Jonathan
Jul 19, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I get it, persian rugs have a mystical component to them. When you look at them you can see facets of life, or you can see art. Some are so well made that you can see new images and symbols in them even after looking at them for years. I did not need to read the same profundities over and over and over.

I wish I could recommend this book but I cannot.
Fibrelady
Not quite what I expected which was information on madder root, but a fascinating historical read on ancient Persia and the countries that, today, are part of that world - almost before time. Woven into the story and the main focus of the book is the story of carpets - the wool, the dyes, the weavers and the wheelers and dealers that bring those carpets to the work.
Pamela
Jan 05, 2009 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
So far it is a light and breezy adventure travel memoir with rugs as a running (or is that runner) theme.
Sharon Bergman
Oct 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a spinner and weaver I enjoyed this book, but some of the language was beautiful, so it was also a good read.
Lady_nj
I would nOt have picked this up on my Own but I am glad I did. Easyto read and put down and pick up later.
Natalie
Jul 12, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Actually I only read part of this, this book turned out to be more about the author's self discovery (boring) than about the subject itself.
J.T. O'Brien
Sep 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Informative about the history and current day carpet industry. If you love Persian carpets and wonder what goes into the making and design, you will be delighted to read this book.
Scott
Oct 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
read again,love story
Deb
Jan 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting subject matter but author is, at times, a bit obnoxious. Could benefit by better editing.
Heather
Mar 11, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not exactly a page turner, but an incredibly interesting and informative book. I would recommend it to anyone interested in Persian carpets and the culture and history surrounding them.
Jessie B.
Barbara
Jan 19, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • A Carpet Ride to Khiva: Seven Years on the Silk Road
  • Tea: A Global History (The Edible Series)
  • The Princeton Dictionary of Buddhism
  • The Alhambra
  • The Humanistic Tradition: Prehistory to the Early Modern World (The Humanistic Tradition, #1)
  • Exploring the World of the Druids
  • The Shark God: Encounters with Ghosts and Ancestors in the South Pacific
  • Gardner's Art Through the Ages, Vol 1, Chapters 1-18 (w/Artstudy Student CD-ROM & Infotrac)
  • World Religions: The Great Faiths Explored & Explained
  • The Carpet Wars: From Kabul to Baghdad: A Ten-Year Journey Along Ancient Trade Routes
  • Whose Bible Is It? A History of the Scriptures Through the Ages
  • A House in Fez: Building a Life in the Ancient Heart of Morocco
  • The Invisible Sex: Uncovering the True Roles of Women in Prehistory
  • Harem: The World Behind the Veil
  • Dreaming of East: Western Women and the Exotic Allure of the Orient
  • Spices: A Global History
  • Inventing Niagara: Beauty, Power and Lies
  • Speeches That Changed the World: The Stories and Transcripts of the Moments That Made History