Start by marking “The Diary of Frida Kahlo: An Intimate Self-Portrait” as Want to Read:
The Diary of Frida Kahlo: An Intimate Self-Portrait

The Diary of Frida Kahlo: An Intimate Self-Portrait

Published here in its entirety, Frida Kahlo's amazing illustrated journal documents the last ten years of her turbulent life. This passionate, often surprising, intimate record, kept under lock and key for some forty years in Mexico, reveals many new dimensions in the complex persona of this remarkable Mexican artist.

Covering the years 1944-45, the 170-page journal contain
Published August 9th 2005 by Harry N. Abrams (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Diary of Frida Kahlo, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Meliss Alvarez In his moving presentation, Mexican faultfinder/writer/artist Fuentes relates Kahlo's pictures of agony, misfortune, mutilation and amazing quality to…moreIn his moving presentation, Mexican faultfinder/writer/artist Fuentes relates Kahlo's pictures of agony, misfortune, mutilation and amazing quality to Mexico's noteworthy cycles of upheaval and response.

Jaime
Feb 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
i took my time with frida's diary:
one. because the emotion she reached inside of me
felt raw and sometimes heavy
but
two. because i didn't want to come to its finish.

i'm slightly obsessed (proudly) with this woman
and find myself moved in ways that enrich my soul
every time i spend time with frida.

her love for life
her passion for love and connection
her desires for both the men and women
in her life
strike me in such a familiar way
that guide me in embracing my true nature.

her vulnerability created passi
Sara
Sep 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone looking for journal inspiration
Shelves: art-related, reviewed
Who would say that stains
live and help one to live?
Ink, blood, odor.

Oh, Frida, Frida, Frida. What else is there to say? This is beautiful.
There is nothing more precious than laughter
and scorn - It is strength to laugh
and lose oneself. to be cruel and
light.
Tragedy is the most
ridiculous thing "man" has
but I'm sure that
animals suffer,
and yet they do not exhibit their "pain"
in "theatres" neither
that any man can
"perform" x
Suvi
Sep 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If you're about to read this expecting a traditional 'what I did today' -diary, you're in for a big surprise. Then again, if you already know Frida Kahlo you wouldn't really expect that, would you? Originally not intended to be published, through Kahlo's diary you get inside her head in the form of letters, notes, automatic writing and sketches. So much so, that you feel a bit rude for invading her thoughts. I don't claim to understand automatic writing, and even though Frida isn't a Surrealist, ...more
Kate
Nov 17, 2011 rated it did not like it
I really didn't enjoy this book. I thought it was going to be a basic translated version of Frida Kahlo's diary with a brief introduction of some kind about her and her life, It isn't. This book begins with a long larbourious introduction which, I felt, at times strays completely from Kahlo and can be very hard to follow. And then there is a full essay on the contents and format of Kahlo's diary. So before you get to view any of her work or her thoughts you've already been pounded with what two ...more
Nicole
May 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a facsimile of Frida Kahlo's diary, so of course it is awesome. 4 instead of 5 stars for bad layout decisions. I can kind of understand why, for example, all of the translation is at the end of the book, so as not to interrupt the flow of the diary itself, but it could have been done more elegantly so that it's not so hard to find the translation of the page you're looking at. A better option might have been to have all the commentary and translation in a separate volume, and/or make som ...more
Fabienne
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
"ALAS ROTAS" (p.156)
Adriana Scarpin
Lendo este diário pude entender porque alguns são relutantes em aceitar Kahlo como ícone feminista, o caso é que a relação dela com Diego Rivera beirava à patologia, quer dizer, o tipo de paixão que ela sentia e demonstrava por Diego são comuns em garotas de 20 anos e aqui ela estava por volta dos 40 e soa como uma dependência emocional particularmente doentia partindo de uma mulher adulta.
Por outro lado, tirando essa questão desconcertante, ela ainda é um ícone feminista por sua resiliência per
Lori
Jun 21, 2009 added it
in prep for my trip to Casa Azul....and because Frida is...Frida.
Uriel Soto
Jul 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites

"PAREJA EXTRAÑA DEL PAÍS DEL PUNTO Y LA RAYA"

Halagos sobran para este magnifico libro, es toda una obra de arte hecha por la increíble Frida.

Empezando por la bellísima edición: esa imagen en la sobrecubierta, ésa que tanto significo para su autora, igualmente hermosa la portada, forrada en tela roja, una edición digna de un libro tan magnífico.

La entrañable introducción hecha por Carlos Fuentes te transporta al mundo de la pintora, te muestra un poco de su historia, sus logros, amores y desamore
Alana Klinka
Aug 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Frida Kahlo's diary is worth the read. It contains sketches that thematically connect to her paintings that are far more well know, however the texture and raw quality is quite different. You see her process and even for an artist who was so revealing in her work, there is more to see here! Reading this diary in the context of todays art world, where a sketch can be considered fine art, shows how timeless and relevant her work is.
Bodour Bahliwah
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
امرأة حملت لواء الأنوثة بقدم مشلولة وحاجبين كثيفين كأنهما شاربان فوق عينيها وجسد ممدد على السرير، فن في لوحات من حبر ودم على قطعة قماش، فمرة ترسم الحب ومرة ترسم الكره والألم فيما يسمى بعبقرية نقل الواقع بعيدا عن الرسم الحالم. تجربة إنسانية مؤلمة لكنها تحولت إلى فن
Rebecca
Mar 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing. The haunting images alone are worth it (It's Kahlo, for god's sake!) and there's an English language translation of the text included.
Ylenia
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
"I never painted dreams. I painted my own reality."
Alicia
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 4000-books
Although she begins this diary at the age of 37-ish,
(the first date of entry is not clear) ~
it seems that because of everything that has suddenly happened physically
& emotionally to her, that now ~~she will document things.
And, of course, Frida will journal in her own artistic way.
Some may find it difficult to read, because of the language barrier,
because of her honesty in her pain & rage & beeeecause the love that did not die &
because we see & feel the sadness that this
Robin Bonne
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The artwork and her loopy, free, slightly messy handwriting makes this book truly inspiring.
Essays and commentary are included with the translations.
Hind89
Dec 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
- أجمل إيجاز وصف هذه المرأة "كقنبلة" كما يصفها بريتون ، وسورياليتها في رائعة مقدمة هذه اليوميات التي كتبها الروائي المكسيكي "كارلوس فوينتيس" ..وفي وصفه ل فريدا كالو ،قال فوينتيس :
فريديتا " الفراشة الهشة، الحساسة، التي كررت بدون توقف دورتها من اليرقة إلى الشرنقة . جنية الليل المكسيكية التي تفتح أجنحتها اللامعة فقط لتوخز مرة ثم مرة أخرى ، وهي مقاومة للالم بدهشة، حتى يصبح الاسم المتعارف عليه للالم ولنهاية الألم هو الموت ."

- " الألم، الجسد، المدينة، البلد، كالو، فريدا، فن فريدا كالو ."
لا أجد في نفسي
Alaide Mo
Dice Sarah M. Lowe en su ensayo introductorio: "Leer en el Diario de Frida Kahlo es, incuestionablemente, un acto de transgresión, con cierto matiz voyeurista. Este documento constituye la expresión más íntima de los sentimientos de la artista, cuya intención no fue publicarlo".

Al igual que con las cartas de Juan Rulfo, nunca podría calificar el Diario de Frida Kahlo, sus páginas llenas de vida y dolor cuentan lo que ya conocemos (y más) de Frida, pero es como si ella te lo susurrara al oído.
Tristy
Mar 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
There are no words to describe how important this book is to me. I regularly visit the pages of Frida Kahlo's diary for inspiration and deeper insight into my own life and perspective of the world. Some pages are heartbreaking and some are joyous, but it is all TRUE and that's the biggest teaching, here. I also learned to embrace the bleeding through of pages, when working in journals. "Messy" is inspiring and beautiful!
Sleeping with Ghosts
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
I don't know why, but Frida didn't attracted me too enough as an artist. I'd prefer Diego Rivera's work.
Ráid
May 24, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
تقول فريدا كالو عن لوحاتها: "أنا لم أرسم أحلامي البتّة. فقط كنت أرسم حياتي".

كيف سيكون شكل تلك اللوحات إذاً لحياة امرأة أصابها شلل الأطفال وهي في الثامنة من عمرها، وفي سن الثامنة عشر تصاب في حادثة اصطدام حافلة بكسر في العامود الفقري، الرقبة، أضلاعها، والحوض. تخوض تجربة ٣٢ عملية جراحية بعد ذلك حتى يوم مماتها بعد معاناة مع الآلام لتسعة وعشرين عاماً متواصلة كانت تقضي بعض فتراتها في السرير لمدة شهور أو مُقعده على كرسي متحرك ؟

تترجم فريدا في يومياتها ولوحاتها السريالية في هذا الكتاب الألم الجسدي إلى ال
Ivan Svoboda
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Surely many of you watched the American movie about Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera, played by Penelope Cruz and Alfred Molina. Croatian writer Slavenka Drakulic recently also wrote one documentary novel about famous Mexican painter called: "Frida Kahlo or about pain". As you can see, the pain and suffering of that great artist after traffic accident and high artistic fruits of her struggle for life, through so many hospital operations, serves as inspiration for many writers.
After so many others t
M. Jane Colette
Aug 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I devoured this book and will continue to devour it for years to come. The introduction by Carlos Fuentes is challenging but worth putting in the effort to read twice-thrice to really understand it. The faithful reproductions of the pages from Kahlo's diary--an art journal before there was such a trend!--through to bled-through inks and coffee stains are PHENOMENAL. The back end of the book contains translations of the pages--which is a great aid for non-Spanish readers--and contextualizations, ...more
MiiriAm
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Q difícil es calificar algo tan intimo como un diario que demuestra de manera cruda los sentimientos q enfrentaba Frida Kahlo durante esta etapa de su vida por medio de sus pinturas, trazos y palabras.

La introducción de Carlos Fuentes es preciosa, pero los ensayos son mas de lo mismo, fueron pocas hojas pero para mi fueron sufrimiento.

Y como punto extra la edición es maravillosa. Hay q recordar q este libro no es una biografía pero si un complemento que ayuda a entender a una de las mujeres mas
Leather-Bound
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
**4.5 stars**

I'm not going to write a full review on this, as it is a non-fiction text and I want to respect the artist and her feelings. However, I *freaking* loved this book and am so proud to have it in my collection.

I knocked it down half a star because I personally felt there was too much outside commentary and not enough was left to speak for itself.

Still, SUCH a good book and would highly recommend to anyone!
Melissa Hernandez
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
It only shows the later years of her death, and you can see in her writing that her health is beginning to fail. You get some of her art that isn't out for public viewing (museums, etc.), which is pretty cool. It was a lot at times, and I had to put it away for a bit. I enjoyed the analysis at the end. Helped when I couldn't make out a few things.
nancy
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
frida’s diary is incredible. her use of colors and the tales she tells are captivating. her life was incredibly hard and i think her love for diego rivera made everything worse. the analysis made by sarah is good and accurate. fuentes’ introduction is AMAZING. love that man. overall a good book.
Flor Méndez
Mi eterno pendiente.

"Pero cómo le explico mi necesidad enorme de ternura! Mi soledad de años. Mi estructura inconforme por inarmónica, por inadaptada. Yo creo que es mejor irse, irse y no escaparse. Que todo pase en un instante. Ojalá".
Kelly
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Content was absolutely worthy of five stars but the formatting of this collection was difficult to follow. I wish they had done side by side translations throughout the journal rather than miniature translations at the back of the book.
Vicki
Jun 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Oh, MAN, what is not to love about Frida Kahlo's crazy life and art? Her diaries are gorgeous, startling, maddening, lyrical, lusty, full of pain and deep joy. Whenever I feel confined, I open these diaries and feell....freer somehow...able to keep going as an artist.
Theresa Leone Davidson
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is Frida Kahlo's journal, complete with illustrations. Terrific book - highly recommend!
FABClub (Female A...: The Diary of Frida Kahlo: An Intimate Self-Portrait (Monthly Memoir March '13) 2 24 Jun 07, 2013 05:42PM
cover 5 29 Apr 01, 2013 03:48PM
  • Frida Kahlo: The Paintings
  • Devouring Frida: The Art History and Popular Celebrity of Frida Kahlo
  • An Illustrated Life: Drawing Inspiration From The Private Sketchbooks Of Artists, Illustrators And Designers
  • The Last Nude
  • Andy Goldsworthy: A Collaboration with Nature
  • Leonora Carrington: Surrealism, Alchemy and Art
  • Amphigorey (Amphigorey, #1)
  • Frida
  • Unexpected Journeys: The Art and Life of Remedios Varo
  • The Secret Art of Dr. Seuss
  • The King's Agent
  • Joseph Cornell: Master of Dreams
  • The Lost Painting
  • Saddest Place on Earth
  • The Philosophy of Andy Warhol (From A to B and Back Again)
  • Georgia O'Keeffe: Art and Letters
  • In Wonderland: The Surrealist Adventures of Women Artists in Mexico and the United States
  • My Brother's Book
Magdalena Carmen Frida Kahlo Calderón was a Mexican painter, who has achieved great international popularity. She painted using vibrant colors in a style that was influenced by indigenous cultures of México as well as by European influences that include Realism, Symbolism, and Surrealism. Many of her works are self-portraits that symbolically express her own pain and sexuality.

In 1929 Kahlo marrie
“I want to be inside your darkest everything” 344 likes
“pain, pleasure and death are no more than a process for existence. The revolutionary struggle in this process is a doorway open to intelligence” 137 likes