Start by marking “Essence of Happiness” as Want to Read:
Essence of Happiness

Essence of Happiness

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  328 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Drawn from His Holiness the Dalai Lama's best-selling The Art of Happiness, this guidebook contains simple advice on how to achieve lasting happiness in our everyday lives. Going straight to the heart of the matter, each page offers a gem of spiritual wisdom to enable us to defeat depression, anxiety, anger, jealousy and the many and varied emotions that form a barrier to ...more
Published July 4th 2001 by Hodder & Stoughton Ltd (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Essence of Happiness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Essence of Happiness

Jan 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is the condensed version of The Art of Happiness. It is a good basic book on Tibetan Buddhist practices of compassion, emptiness, equanimity, etc., which can, with practice and time, lead to happiness. I highly recommend as an introduction to Tibetan Buddhism, or a refresher for those more aquainted with these concepts.
zero last
Jul 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is simply amazing. When ever I am troubled or feeling lost in this world, i turn to this book to brighten up my day.
Everything the Dalai lama says is worth listening to.
I've been wanting to read some of the works by the Dalai Lama for a while, although John Oliver's recent interview put that more into the forefront of my mind. I didn't realize that this was a condensed version of another book or that this was simply a book of quotes. This might not be an issue for some people but I felt like this just wasn't a good starting point for me.
William Munn
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Short, succinct, and relevant. One of the most interesting bits comes near the end. It talks about showing respect for other religions (and non-religions) and how vital it is for everyone to respect each other regardless of how personal viewpoints may conflict. I recommend regardless of religious persuasion. The book shows more how we are alike rather than different.
Veda Mclean
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Open the Mind

The book was very enlightening. Statements were thought provoking and presented an opportunity for self-awareness. Positivity within ourselves needs to be fed. Negativity should starve. It should never be fed. Fasting is required. Eliminate hate from your diet.
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
I didn't like the narration of the introduction, but the remainder of the audiobook was a good short introduction to the philosophy of the Dalai Lama. Relaxing, slow pace and a good message of respect and tolerance.
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The things we cling to make us most unhappy. Things are thoughts, actions, ideas, things, emotions etc. Let go and be happy. Do the things that encourage a happier life.
Independent Zen
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If we could have just one book for living life to the fullest, I would recommend "The Essence of Happiness" by His Holiness, the Dalai Lama and psychiatrist, Howard C. Cutler. I first had the opportunity to read this book in April of 2012 and was significantly impressed by the short insightful passages found throughout. While I had read a fair amount of articles and watched television programs on the Dalai Lama, this is the first book I had come across which involved his participation. What I g ...more
Jul 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing.It's straight to the point, and condensed. It was very easy to understand. I see things clearer after every page. Most of the time i would just put the book down and reflect it on to my life. I'am not very old, im not going to disclose my age, but im in my young teens. I recommend this to any teenager out there getting bullied,dont feel like they fit in, or are depressed at school. This is who i was for a short while. My parents were separating,my older sister was travelling ...more
Johanna H.
May 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Amazing.. Every page contains a little message, a little bit of Wisdom from the Dalai Lama. You should pick this book up if you are angry about something or someone.. if you are sad. When you feel unhappy with your live or if you just want to feel a little bit better without a reason. After you read a little bit you'll feel a little bit happier and see all the things a little bit different.. But if you want some more information about why and how or about Buddhism then you should read a differen ...more
Mar 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
I am usually very anti-self-help, but as of late, I'm acknowledging that I'm needing some simple, straight forward guidance to stop feeling like I'm running in place. A coworker, not knowing these feelings I'm harboring, passed this book along to me and I'm thankful he has. I hope to apply the things I've learned in this book, along with the three other "books" I read prior to this one to my life. I can use the shifting, the adapting if being able to change, to see life in my own way, but a heal ...more
Kate Schwarz
Feb 03, 2014 rated it liked it
This book is a collections of snippets/quotes from the Dalai Lama. It is very good, but I wanted more information about his theory on how to move towards (and reach/achieve) happiness. I am not an abridged story kind of girl; I want the full story.

My favorite quote:

"The ability to shift perspective--asking, "How can I see this differently?"--can be one of the most powerful and effective tools we have to help us cope with life's daily problems."

But the book is good and positive--worthy of a star
Jan 09, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone that needs a little bit of a pick-me-up
No doubt, this book has a lot of good positive messages in it, but at the time i was reading this, i was going throught a rather tough time mentally, as well as dealing with my father, who was very closing to dying (he has since passed on) so i think there was a lot of this book that i just could not absorb at the time, so well i think the book was good, i think i will have to come back and read it again at a later date and try to take a bit more of it in.
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This short book provides guideposts to attaining a higher level of happiness in everyday life. It's a short, condensed read that I plan to re-read several times this year to internalize. I love this book (as I do most by the Dalai Lama), and have a great sense of peace after spending time with it.
Becky Cheung
Jun 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book offers sage advice on defeating day-to-day depression, anxiety, anger, jealousy, and other emotions that get in the way of true happiness.

It is a very easy read which you can read cover to cover in a few hours but it is likely that you will find yourself going back for the wisdom it provides.

It is a collection of beautiful sage advice.
Mar 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everybody
Amazing. That is all I can say. It will put life in perspective for you and make you do some serious soul searching. Grief, anger, indifference, and obstacles are all a part of our lives but it is how we see and handle things that gives us our peace from within and quality of life. You can completely change your way of thinking if you can empathize and pull strength from within.
Jun 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-non-fiction
A lovely little gem of a book that articulates in simple terms the how-to's of cultivating compassion, kindness and patience as a precursor to lasting happiness. I love the suggestion that we view our enemies with gratitude because they provide a precious opportunity to develop patience ans tolerance.
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is such a delightful little primer on the Art of Happiness. This can be very quickly consumed, and is a nice reminder of the Dalai Lama's teachings. This can be a nice, quick introduction, or a happiness reminder. Either way, it is certainly well worth the effort.
Dec 18, 2012 rated it liked it
315 pages, not 120 like the description says. It's a bit of a tedious read as all educational books can be but the wisdom is supreme. Good reminders of how to be a better person to yourself and others.
Oct 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
I love this book so much as I really find the Dalai Lama's teachings practical and easy to understand. The pocket book style makes it easy to keep his words of wisdom in my bag or on me pretty much anywhere I go to remind me just how easy it is to live a happy life!
Jul 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophic
Very good way to return to good basic principles. Think about the way you are thinking and so change how you think. The audio version was a nice way to get small daily samplings of wisdom to ponder through out each day. Though, of course, now I want to read the book!
Apr 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: personal-growth
Be happy with what you have. If you are always wanting things that you do not have you will never be happy. However, my thought on the subject is when you are happy with what you have, you will receive more of the same.
Jun 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent condensed version of the wisdom in Cutler & His Holiness's The Art of Happiness.
Sep 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Actually I skimmed this because I realized most of it is pulled from The Art of Happiness - which I read and enjoyed a number of years ago.
Jan 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have to try and remember to emulate the teachings because it's very inspiring to read and digest...
Ryan Parker
Feb 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very easy read. Great coffee table book just to glance at it time to time. Inspirational as well ,as one would think.
Dempsey Pappion
I can't figure out how to actually start reading this book.
I just joined this app.
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fast, easy read...good messages...very inspirational!
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
A concise and excellent gathering of important passages from The Art of Happiness. I like how each section had a different theme.
  • Buddhism for Beginners
  • Voyage
  • The Black Beast (The Book of Isle, #4)
  • Happiness Is an Inside Job: Practicing for a Joyful Life
  • Essential Buddhism: A Complete Guide to Beliefs and Practices
  • High Tech/High Touch: Technology and Our Search for Meaning
  • In the Shadow of a Rainbow
  • Buddha Is as Buddha Does: The Ten Original Practices for Enlightened Living
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Reptiles and Amphibians
  • Music of Silence: A Sacred Journey Through the Hours of the Day
  • As For Me And My House: Crafting Your Marriage To Last
  • Humorous Stories and Sketches
  • Littlejohn
  • A Tree Full of Angels: Seeing the Holy in the Ordinary
Jetsun Jamphel Ngawang Lobsang Yeshe Tenzin Gyatso (born Lhamo Döndrub), the 14th Dalai Lama, is a practicing member of the Gelug School of Tibetan Buddhism and is influential as a Nobel Peace Prize laureate, the world's most famous Buddhist monk, and the leader of the exiled Tibetan government in India.

Tenzin Gyatso was the fifth of sixteen children born to a farming family. He was proclaimed the
More about Dalai Lama XIV...

Nonfiction Deals

$7.24 $1.99
  • Priceless: How I Went Undercover to Rescue the World's Stolen Treasures
  • Decoded
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lost Art of Reading Nature's Signs: Use Outdoor Clues to Find Your Way, Predict the Weather, Locate Water, Track Animals-and Other Forgotten Skills
    $15.95 $1.99
  • A Man Called Intrepid: The Incredible True Story of the Master Spy Who Helped Win World War II
    $14.99 $1.99