Start by marking “50 Secrets of Magic Craftsmanship” as Want to Read:
50 Secrets of Magic Craftsmanship

50 Secrets of Magic Craftsmanship

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  208 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
For many, Salvador Dalí (1904–1989) represents the Surrealist painter par excellence, one whose work explored his own dream life, hallucinations, and fetishes in the process of objectifying the irrational elements of the unconscious. In this rare and important volume, the painter expresses (in his inimitably eccentric fashion) his ideas of what painting should be, expounds ...more
Published June 4th 1992 by Dover Publications

To ask other readers questions about 50 Secrets of Magic Craftsmanship, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 50 Secrets of Magic Craftsmanship

Jon
Feb 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
If you want to traverse through Dali's weird brain, I recommend this book. It is also an excellent book on painting, but you have to filter through all the madness that is Dali.
Dana Bolink
Jan 09, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction, art
50 Secrets of Magic Craftsmanship by Salvador Dali is a tough read that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

In his book, the famous painter Dali promises the young painter who aspires to become a master like Dali himself - and Dali certainly sees himself that way - to reveal fifty secrets of the craft, which will ensure success. In doing so, Dali invokes high expectations, on which he does not deliver.

Before I continue I should clarify that I know nothing of painting, or of Dali; I have seen sever
Ronald Wise
Jul 22, 2011 rated it liked it
An oversize book with large print and many interesting illustrations or sketches by the author. I'm not a painter and so feared I'd find this book a bore, but quickly discovered it to be very intriguing. Dali's odd sense of humor was very satisfying and I now feel that my knowledge of the process of artistic painting is so much more complete — from the artist's disposition in the creative process, to the techniques of working with oil paints. This was my first introduction to Dali's mind and I'l ...more
Arf Ortiyef
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Dali's master class on painting and surrealism should be mandatory reading for every art student and all those who want to understand Dali. filled with humor and incredible insight into the techniques of a true master painter. don't be distracted by the very funny tangents so much that you miss out on the deep philosophical profundity of the egg, the milk and the crown for example, or his entirely practical methodology for tapping into the world of dreams. essential reading.
Oct 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: art, nonfiction
First and foremost, let me make something perfectly clear: I never have been and probably never will be a painter. However, as a musician, I derive immense enjoyment from learning about the other forms of art, how they vary from my own, and how they connect. Visual art, therefore, is something I go through phases with- at times I don't really pay a whole lot of attention to it because of focusing on my own branch, but I have spurts of time when I want to learn about the craft.

Salvador Dali is a
verbava
Jun 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art-and-artists
дуже хороша книжка про те, що все-таки насамперед художникові варто вміти малювати коників – а потім уже проводити хоч які експерименти.

Итак, следует признать: почти все современные художники забыли о традициях старых мастеров, и мы больше не вольны делать то, что нам хочется, - "мы делаем то, что получается". Существует испанская пословица, которой народная мудрость определяет плохих художников: "Если получится с бородой - значит, будет святой Антоний, если без бороды - Непорочное зачатие". Пик
Jesse
Jun 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: art-history
I wish I had found this book when I was going through my teenage fascination with Dali. There are answers to so many questions I had back then in this book. Some of them are answers about oil painting techniques, others explore Dali's subject matter--although mostly indirectly. Still others provide a theoretical foundation for the connection of the soul to one's art. For example, I have been pondering the implications on focus, restraint, and composure in his statement that "The true painter mus ...more
Suzette
Nov 08, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a must read for any Dali fan. My rating is based on the book as it might appeal to a general reader. It rambles, as one might expect, and is incredibly detailed on things like the composition of various paint colors. If that's not your thing, you will probably be bored by this book. If you are interested in how Dali views the importance of drawing before painting and how to use various tools to help one as a painter get the right perspective, then you will find this book quite fascinatin ...more
Morris Nelms
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art
I haven't read it all, but I've read enough to know this book is one of a kind. Dali is a great artist with an oversize personality and ego as well. It all comes through here. Lots of information about painting, but it is not a technical manual. It is full of great ink work by Dali which is enough to justify owning the book if you are a fan. If you dislike Dali and are not interested in the visual arts, don't bother. If the opposite is true, don't miss it.
Goldie Katsu
Feb 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: game-design
Brilliant, thought provoking, and surreal (of course). Have had many good discussions from this book. (Got here from the Book of Lenses.)

I love how his personality and ego come through, but his writing inspires tapping into the subconscious and even where I don't agree the book makes me think.
Eman AlRaesi
Sep 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing

In this book Dali gives his opinions on art and discuss some bizarre methods to get his creativity flowing and gives you as the title suggests 50 secrets on how to be a painter like he is (allmost)
highly recommended if you're into art or philosophy, i don't think it's an art manual though
Cameron
Jul 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
a must if youre looking to improve your skill in the fine arts.
Andy Alexander
Apr 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
omfg. read it.
Martyr
Jul 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Im looking forward..!
Floyd
Apr 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The perfect blend of genius and insanity. A must read for all people of intellect.
Charles Baudelaire
Nov 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Lot's of little painting secrets if you sift through it enough.
David
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I typically do not write reviews, however this is one of the books I come back to over and over again. I own many books on art techniques, but this is the most valuable, in my opinion.
Troy
Mar 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
Good supplement. Read and read again to figure out what he is saying... then a year later it will make sense!
Ryan Johnson
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Dali tricks you into thinking this is a text book on painting and, once he has you hooked, delivers a master-course on surrealism.
Ichiro Mito
Mar 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Ichiro by: The Dali Museum in St. Petersburg, FL
WEird. REally weird... but some useful information on... painting and Dali's psychology.
Sarah Lacina
  • Salvador Dali
  • The Hundred Headless Woman
  • The History of Surrealism
  • Babylon
  • The Killing Art (Kate McKinnon, #3)
  • On Poetry and Craft: Selected Prose
  • The Stone Roses
  • The Flight of Icarus
  • Survey of Historic Costume
  • The Winged Seed: A Remembrance
  • A Mapmaker’s Dream: The Meditations of Fra Mauro, Cartographer to the Court of Venice
  • A Book of Surrealist Games
  • The Magician's Companion: A Practical and Encyclopedic Guide to Magical and Religious Symbolism (Llewellyn's Sourcebook)
  • Babble
Salvador Domingo Felipe Jacinto Dalí i Domènech, 1st Marquis of Púbol, was a Spanish surrealist painter born in Figueres, Catalonia, Spain.

Dalí was a skilled draftsman, best known for the striking and bizarre images in his surrealist work. His painterly skills are often attributed to the influence of Renaissance masters. His best known work, The Persistence of Memory, was completed in 1931.

Salvado

$10.74 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Out of Africa and Shadows on the Grass
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Kingdom by the Sea: A Journey Around the Coast of Great Britain
  • The War That Ended Peace: The Road to 1914
    $6.99 $2.99
  • No Limits: Blow the CAP Off Your Capacity
    $9.99 $2.99
“If you understand your painting beforehand, you might as well not paint it.” 0 likes