Start by marking “Second Sunrise (Lee Nez, #1)” as Want to Read:
Second Sunrise (Lee Nez, #1)

Second Sunrise (Lee Nez #1)

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  299 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Sixty years ago New Mexico patrolman Lee Nez and his partner foiled the hijacking of an American military convoy transporting nuclear material. At the end of the firefight, all of the soldiers and Lee's partner were dead-and Lee's life was forever transformed.

Now a nightwalker, the Navajo equivalent of a vampire, Lee lives with one foot in the human world and one in a worl
Published April 1st 2007 by Forge Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Second Sunrise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Second Sunrise

Barbara ★
From the description, I assumed this was a police procedural but it's not. Officer Lee Nez is a vampire searching for the evil German vampire who made him during WWII. A bunch of Navajo skinwalkers are hunting Lee as vampires are their natural enemy. FBI agent Diane Lopez is investigating one occurrence where Lee was attacked by wolves (skinwalkers). Of course, Lee can't tell her what's really going on since she'd question his sanity.

The books ok bt not very exciting. Kinda just plods along with
Lkowalczyk
Meh. It had potential to be a great read, but it never happened. Pretty basic plot: Navajo police officer becomes a "nightwalker"... 1/2 vampire with healing abilities, night vision, super strength & attracts "skinwalkers", evil Navajo who shape shift into lethal predators and can smell nightwalkers. Female FBI agent enters story. It was just not that engaging altho the premises were good, the potential was not fulfilled. I enjoyed the Thurlo's Ellah Clah series much, much more. Won't be con ...more
Page Inman
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Navajo policeman who becomes a vampire that can withstand daylight.
FicusFan
Cameron
Jul 31, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bryn Greenwood
This is my inaugural entry to my new shelf: Not every book is for everybody. When I write a less than flattering review on a book I didn't finish, I feel badly. I think, well, I couldn't even bother to finish it, how do I dare rate it? So from here on, I'll simply remark on why the book wasn't for me.

I love the premise here--Navajo vampires. We need diverse vampires.

However, I found the authorial tone way too explanatory. I get that not everyone has personal knowledge/experience of Navajo cust
Marla
Jan 19, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone that enjoys a good story
Shelves: mystery
Now these were different! I read these just when the Vampire stuff was starting to become really popular because of Buffy. And since I LOVE detective novels - well I had to read this!
Lee Nez is a night walker, a Navajo vampire. He is also a New Mexico state police officer. Thanks to the quick work of a Navajo shaman, Lee can walk about in the day and prefers his blood refrigerated - but his vampire nature makes him a magnet for the other supernatural entities.
Ebster Davis
I got this one on audibles in attempt to listen to it with my grandma (she loves this series and suggested it, and since she can't see well enough to read amymore I thought we could listen to it together). Unfortunately everytime I would try to listen to it she turns on the TV loud. That was kind of a bummber.

The story was still good, and I really like Lee Nez/Hawk as a character. Diane has some cheesy lines, but that's probably just a result of her role in the story.
Sue
Feb 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sue by: Kathryn
Shelves: series
Lee Nez Novel #1. This was a great read. It held my interest right from the beginning. I thought the story was original and the addition of the tidbits about the culture of the Native People was very interesting. I'm not very familiar with the western part of the US, so this book also lead me to do a little internet research to help me visualize the landscape mentioned in the story. I'm looking forward to reading the second in the series. Thanks for recommending this Kathryn!
Klp
Aug 28, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Badly needs editing

This book would be rated higher if it were not filled with errors that would have been picked up if anyone had bothered to edit it! I understand that publishers salivate at the profits to be gained from formatting a print book as an ebook. However, the price they get away with charging surely warrants a good editor reading the finished product before releasing it! The purchaser deserves an error-free product given the the cost of the book!
Vickie
This is a super page turner! I just about finished it in one sitting, thanks to a mellow shift at work and nothing of interest on TV. This is why I carry a book with me in my purse at all times. Ya just never know when that blend comes along and you need a very good book to rescue you.

This one did the trick. It is a vampire book, but it is also a well written police mystery. A very good combo. Highly recommended.
KDawn
Aug 14, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tried-to-read
Debbie
May 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened, audio
On my 2nd attempt, I finished. For some reason, I just couldn't get into it the first time.
After visiting the Navajo (Dineh) nation in Utah at Monument Valley, it was fun to read and relate to the culture and the scenery of this land in the book.
This is a vampire take with an American Indian twist. Interesting, but not sure if I'll continue in the series.
Michele bookloverforever
I enjoyed this book. I found the protaganist, a Navajo unwilling vampire fighting navajo skinwalkers/shapechangers intriguing. I enjoyed the relationship between the protaganist and his "sidekick", a female, strong-willed and ambitious FBI agent interesting. I've already requested a 2nd book in this series from my library.
Bonnie Drummond
Jul 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vampires and Skin Walkers beware of ( The Night Walker New Mexico State Police Officer Lee Nez ) "half vampire half human and an attractive FBI Agent Diane Lopez, who's out to kick ass of the Vampire who killed her partner they make a hell of a team. They get the job done and save themselves and the world. Read if you want to find out what happened. I give this book 100% of all time.
Fredrick Danysh
Native American policeman Lee Nez interrupts an attempted hijacking of a sensitive military cargo by a German vampire and spy and his bitten. Half cured he reatins mush of the vampiore curse. He attempts to find the military cargo that he hid and elimanate vampires and skinwalkers.
Tanya
Sep 11, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-audio
This book was well written overall. There was good character development as well. I just didn't buy into the story as much as I thought I would. This is probably my favorite genre currently but I just couldn't get into it.
Vic
This was just alright. While there were vampires (including main character - a police officer)it didn't really have a UF feel to it. After it was over, I just kind of felt blah about it. Not sure I will listen to the next one.
Rushbug23
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good first book of a series.
Carlos Proctor
Aug 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book, cant wait for them to make this into a movie!
Keamy Loken
Apr 24, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good! they where guy and girl who where only good friends!
And they didn't even have to have sex! I did not think that was possible:p
Tara
Jul 01, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Gave up on pg 60. Thought a Southwestern mystery with a twist on the stereotypical tribal cop (he's a vampire) would at least be entertaining.
Barbara
Feb 13, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Native American Police & vampires!
Karen Desmond
Nov 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jonquil
Aug 17, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was in New Mexico and this writer was recommended to me. My dog Tucker ate the last 12 pages off before I could finish it!!!
Sarita
Mar 14, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNL-DNF. I may try another when in a coma!
Judy Hamel
Dec 29, 2014
Karol
Jul 19, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Death Walker (Ella Clah, #2)
  • Spirit Sickness
  • The Old Gray Wolf
David and Aimée Thurlo were married for thirty-eight years. David was raised on the Navajo Indian Reservation and left Shiprock to complete his education at the University of New Mexico.

Aimée, born in Havana, Cuba, died in February 2014.

The Thurlos' novels, translated into many different languages, are available around the world.
More about David Thurlo...

Lee Nez (4 books)
  • Blood Retribution (Lee Nez, #2)
  • Pale Death (Lee Nez, #3)
  • Surrogate Evil (Lee Nez, #4)