Start by marking “These Things Hidden” as Want to Read:
These Things Hidden

These Things Hidden

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  32,762 ratings  ·  3,197 reviews
When teenager Allison Glenn is sent to prison for a heinous crime, she leaves behind her reputation as Linden Falls' golden girl forever. Her parents deny the existence of their once-perfect child. Her former friends exult her downfall. Her sister, Brynn, faces whispered rumors every day in the hallways of their small Iowa high school. It's Brynn--shy, quiet Brynn--who car ...more
Published January 18th 2011 by Mira

To ask other readers questions about These Things Hidden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about These Things Hidden

·  32,762 ratings  ·  3,197 reviews

Limonessa
Apr 07, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-lit
I have been debating whether to give this book one or two stars for a while now but, in all honesty, I did not like this book. I wanted to like this book, I struggled to get to the end to see if there was some redeeming last minute revelation but, alas, it never came.

The story rotates around 4 women, - Allison, an ex convict, Brynn, her sister, Charm, a nurse to-be and Claire, a bookshop owner - a little boy and a terrible secret that seems to connect them all. I didn't see the terrible secret.
Jan 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
These Things Hidden is all about secrets. As the story progresses, the past is revealed piece by piece. The story falls into place easily while offering shocking things, long hidden, yet never expected.

The book is written in alternating viewpoints between four different women all linked in some way to a little boy named Joshua. Each woman wants to ensure Joshua is safe and taken care if, even if they have different ideas and motives driving them.

The book begins with Allison being released from p
Kaceey
Oct 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book has been collecting dust on my shelf for far too long.
Like a dental appointment, I kept putting it off, not sure why. Now I am sorry I waited so long for such a great read.
Upon release from prison for a devastating crime, Allison attempts to reunite with her family and get her life back on track. This book unfolds from several points of view. Each character telling their own intriguing story, until the inevitable collision in the end. Love that!!
Really enjoyed this book. Will defini
Sharon
Aug 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-read
Allison Glenn has just been released from prison after serving five years for a terrible crime. Before Allison was sent to prison, she and her sister, Brynn were very close, but that all ended the night Allison was sent away as Brynn wanted nothing more to do with her sister. If dealing with what happened that night wasn't enough, Brynn also had to deal with kids staring and whispering behind her back. It was all becoming too much for Brynn, so her parents sent her to live with her grandmother w ...more
 Li'l Owl ~ Incorrigible Reader
"Her heart is pounding, fearful of what they're going to find when they reach the top."

*Audiobook*
These Things Hidden by Heather Gudenkauf, narrated by Angela Goethals.

Allison -
Perfect, seventeen year old Allison Glynn. Smart. Straight A student. Competitive athlete. Pretty. Everything her parents want her to be. Her life is all mapped out ahead of her. Finish highschool then on to an Ivy league college, study to be a lawyer, work at a top law firm.
For all her accomplishments what Allison do
Suzanne Barrett
Feb 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Heather Gudenkauf’s second novel deals with a difficult subject: murder. Told in first and third person by a quartet of female protagonists, it opens with Allison Glenn, the main protagonist who is getting out of prison after serving half of a ten-year sentence. Her lawyer, Devin, escorts her to a halfway house run by pragmatic-but tender-hearted Oleta. Allison wants desperately to put the past behind her and start anew but finds obstacles at every turn. Her sister, once a confidant, won’t answe ...more
David
Oct 29, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Andrea Yates, Susan Smith, Oprah
Why was this on my TBR list? I must have read some review that made it sound interesting, and so I picked it at random at the library. At least I didn't pay money for it.

This is a book about secrets and babies and mommy-love and bad parents and crazy.

Perfect college-bound athlete Allison gets knocked up by a summer fling, manages to keep this secret from her parents, because they are caricatures of Bad and Superficial Parenting, and when she gives birth, with her flaky sister Brynn present, she
TL
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Confession: I saw this on the shelf at work a couple years ago and thought it sounded interesting. Put it on my paperbackswap list and forgot about until I got the notification my request came in. Was in a bit of funk yesterday and grabbed this off my shelves on a whim.,hoping it would bring me out of it. Didn't read reviews of it before I started, just plunged in.

It reminded me of 'Reconstructing Amelia' and 'Girl on the train' (both I loved) in the fact that the suspense and characters are wel
Myrna
Apr 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another great book by Heather Gudenkauf. She's quickly becoming one of my top authors. These Things Hidden felt very real, builds suspense and includes sympathetic characters. A page-turner for sure! 4.5 stars!
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
This won't be a long review. I can't find enough words to say about this drawn-out book. I suffered to the halfway point with this book, bored to tears wondering what the point of it all was.

Not all books are thrilling page turners but both the plot and the characters fell flat in this for me in this one completely. It's put me off her other books although I know she has her fans and many loved this too.

It failed to capture raw emotion that should have been there in this story and in a nutshell
Lisa
Apr 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chick-lit
All i can say is i absolutely recommend this book to all my lady friends you wont be disappointed this made me have mixed emotions Characters were dealing with real situations we all deal with every day will be reading more of this Author
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

DNF at 46%, read the last 4 chapters.

To show how utterly stupid this book is (trying to be discreet in case someone wants to read this but sorry if there are slight spoilers): an extremely sporty and active teenager somehow hides a pregnancy with twins and gives birth with a family member helping. Instead of, I don’t know, using birth control in the first place or perhaps checking out an abortion, she goes through with THE ENTIRE pregnancy and chucks one baby into the water to die.
Farfished9
Sep 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
Got this book for some mindless entertainment...To me, that's just what it was. It wasn't good...it wasn't bad...Won't tell you what it is about because you can read any other review or the book's jacket for that...

It's like...you know...when you're flipping through the channels on the tellie and there is nada on...and you settle on some lifetime movie or something that's already been on for however long (who cares anyway?)just because you're tired of flipping and you know you can just keep flip
✨Susan✨
Feb 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A tragic mystery that slowly reveals it self like peeling an onion. In the beginning I thought I had a handle on what was going on in the lives of the three young girls at the center of the story. Wrong... Needless to say, there are twists and turns that make you keep changing your feelings toward each character.

Choices and fate seem to run along in the same lane for two sisters, an innocent bystander and a very lonley couple. The characters were believable and the narration was very good. This
Erin
Mar 11, 2017 rated it liked it
A contemporary family drama narrated by four different women-Allison, her sister Brynn, nursing student Charm, and bookseller Claire. At first, I was thinking "Yikes, quite a number of characters for a short book." But quite quickly the connection between the four women becomes clear. I won't say too much about the plot because it was quite easy to figure out, it is perhaps the ending that is most surprising(tragic too).
Tania
Feb 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
This was a nice easy-reading book, and although I thought I figured out the ending quite early on, I was wrong. The reason it only gets a three start rating from me, is that I never felt that much empathy with any of the characters. If you want to try a book by the author, which was brilliant and reminded me a lot of Jodi Picoult's writing, I highly recommend One Breath Away

The story: When her sister Allison, convicted of a heinous crime, is released from prison to a halfway house and is despera
Becky
This is another Audible gem. They were having a "Buy One, Get One" sale, and These Things Hidden was my "Get One" book, chosen on a whim. But for that sale, I probably never would have read this. (I've been kind of unofficially avoiding YA lately, being sick of the love triangles and the YAPNR and the blah blah blah.) But had I missed this one, it would have been a shame, because this book is fantastic.

I almost don't want to talk about the plot of the story at all, because I'm afraid of ruining
Carole
Apr 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is a must read. I LOVED this book! I couldn't put it down and I was just speechless upon completion.

I was surprised at so many points while reading These Things Hidden and that doesn't happen often for me when reading a book. The author did an incredible job of slowly revealing secrets, piece by piece, and from various points of view.

My heart broke for many of the characters. I truly felt for them all, although my feelings changed toward the end and I had the deepest compassion for one of
Candace
Jan 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was a crazy ride! At first I didn't know what was going on, what Allison had done that was so terrible. So I flew through the pages dying to know. In those pages I felt like I got to know Allison well enough that I couldn't imagine she had truly done something horrible. I couldn't imagine why everyone would be so hateful toward her. When I found out what her crime had been I just had to know WHY?!
This book alternates characters. We go to know Allison, the center of it all and the one who ju
Casey Hays
Nov 24, 2012 rated it liked it
I must admit, there were things I liked about the book, but more things I didn't. The author was able to paint some images in my head with her descriptions, and that worked. Some of those images I will not be able to erase. Every once in awhile, she said something profound and beautifully-written that made me sigh in satisfaction, but these were few and far between.

Many things bothered me about the book. Christopher was too vague. Grandma was too vague. I couldn't figure out the relationship Br
Crumb
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I love Heather Gudenkauf. She has a wonderful, almost lyrical way with words. These Things Hidden had everything I adore in a book:

1)in depth character development
2)plot twists and turns
3)secrets and lies

I zoomed through this in a day and a half! I could not put this book down. 4.5 stars!
Nov 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: literary-fiction
This is a book that is all about secrets, choices, second chances, abandonment, and ultimately of hope.

The story is told from the POV of multiple characters whose lives are connected in ways that only become readily apparent as the story unravels in unexpected ways.

Allison is the twenty one year old former overachieving highschool student convicted of a heinous crime that has left her alienated and abandoned by her family and an outcast in the small Iowa town that she grew up in.

Brynn is Allis
Annie
Oct 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. Despite a really disturbing event, the author handled it very well. I felt a mix of emotions throughout. Even with a character who had gone to prison for something awful, I felt both horror and hope, which is amazing that the author was able to convey that. The pace of the book moved very quickly with very short chapters. I love finding authors that are new to me who I really enjoy. Highly recommend.
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Feb 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2011
Really enjoyed this book. This author is proving to be one of my new favorites.
Farren

I normally dissect a mystery plot and have it all figured out within 20% of starting a novel, but this book just kept surprising me. The subject matter is definitely rough, and the book gets more and more fucked up as it nears the end, but I enjoyed all of the twists and turns and how the book was never boring for a single second.

The only negative for me is that I didn't care for Claire's perspective. I felt like it didn't really add to the story, and any of the important information i
Amy
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Ahhh SO SO good! Full review later but awesome audiobook
Anuradha
Christin
These Things Hidden was my second Heather Gudenkauf book. And, just like the first book I read and loved, The Weight of Silence, this was also a quick fantastic read!

This is a beautifully human story about love. All kinds of love, and the different ways it takes shape in different people. It's also about the difficulties, struggles and consequences of the decisions we make...and the decisions that are already made for us.

It's also about the beauty and tragedy of dealing with one's family. The b
Madeline
Aug 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller, ya-books
Great book! This is my first Heather Gudenkauf novel, but will not be my last. Heather writes beautifully, the story is told with words that flow down a lazy river until they reach the rapids. I especially love the way the story unfolds through the eyes of four women. I read this book in one day, I couldn't put it down.
Kathryn
Oct 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Kathryn by: Becky
These Things Hidden was sort of a recommendation from my GR friend Becky. She read this book last year, and even though it had been on my TBR shelf for a while, Becky's five star review pushed me to consider reading it sooner. I happened upon it a few months ago sitting on the $1 clearance section at Half-Price Books. It was a great investment.

I really thought this story was about something else entirely. About secrets? Yes. What kind of secrets? I didn't know, or at least my idea was completely
The Asocial Readers: January Book 1 4 Dec 29, 2017 10:14AM
Bookworm Bitches : April 2011: These Things Hidden 36 266 Mar 15, 2017 09:52AM
Topeka & Shawnee ...: These Things Hidden - A quick review 2 13 Sep 02, 2015 07:48AM
Did anyone else have trouble connecting with the characters? 6 91 Oct 21, 2013 10:32PM

• Close Your Eyes
  • The Summer We Came to Life
  • Exposure
  • Life Without Summer
  • Creep (Creep #1)
Heather is the NYT and USA Today Bestselling author of THE WEIGHT OF SILENCE and NOT A SOUND.
“You were a wish that we made every morning when we woke up and a prayer we said before we went to bed each night,” 3 likes
“I get Allison’s letters. Sometimes I wish that I could write back to her, go see her, act like a sister to her. But something always stops me. Grandma tells me I should talk to Allison, try to forgive her. But I can’t. It’s like something broke inside me that night five years ago.” 0 likes