Start by marking “Halfway to the Sky” as Want to Read:
Halfway to the Sky

Halfway to the Sky

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  425 Ratings  ·  64 Reviews
Twelve-year-old Dani is running away from home, or what’s left of home anyway. Her older brother, who had muscular dystrophy, died a few months ago. Then her father left and her parents got divorced. Now home is just Dani and her sad, silent mother, and Dani’s got to get away. She plans to do something amazing, and go where her parents will never find her: she’s going to h ...more
Published July 8th 2003 by Yearling (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Halfway to the Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Halfway to the Sky

Stephanie A.
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've heard of the Appalachian Trail, but only in the past year have I really learned about thru-hikers, from reading the blog of someone who is making plans for it in the future and talks a lot of about the accounts of hikers they follow as well as all the pack-preparation and planning it takes. But for all that, I haven't read any firsthand accounts of the actual experience. And even though this is written for younger readers, as an adult, I found it to be a perfect introduction to the concept. ...more
Hope Hill
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Cecelia
Mar 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE this book!!! It is so amazing! It is my favorite book! If I could only have one book to read for the rest of mt life it would be this one. Most Definately. It is on the top of my list for sure! Dani is a character that relates a lot to my friend. When you have a connection like that it makes the whole book worth reading five more times. I am also a through hiker, which is mentioned a lot in this book. Taking this adventure was amazing and definately a life-changing experience. Way to go K ...more
Tayli Craner
Sep 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
Really liked it!! I wish I was as fit and active as this girl. She'd be my best friend if she was real. I recommend this book to all who are hikers and can handle sadness. Her mom is amazing, too. It would be so hard to be in a place like her, but she works it all out. I would love to hike the Appalachian Trail! Anyone want to go with me?? It's only about 2175 miles.
EmmaB
Nov 22, 2016 rated it liked it
I liked this- it was short and sweet. The catharsis (or maybe it's more like quiet understandings of what happened to get her to this point) of dealing with her brother's death and her father's split by going back to basics, or back to the trail where her parents met, worked. I wondered if the author had read Wild (Strayed) (not possible - this was written 10 years before), but maybe Strayed read this? It made me want to go on my own walkabout.
Carolyn
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I think Bradley has a real handle on teens, their development and struggles to become themselves separate from their families. Here, she shows us a deeply divided family having suffered a dreadful loss, and one child's response with unexpectedly wonderful ramifications!
I'm on a mission to read all of Bradley's books!
Reagan
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Dani has ran away from home. Her parents are divorced, and her brother died a few months ago. She has come to a mountain. She hikes it. Soon, her mother finds her. They go together.
you have got to read this book! It is awesome!
Nancy
May 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: teen
Chose this book because of the author, but was surprised and disappointed to see swearing, disrespect and lying. Liked the working through grief and fear and unhappiness in a good way. Would be so much better to include the Lord in the journey.
Aah..z
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: strong-kids
I read (heared exactly) the book because I first heard "The war that saved my life" from the same author and was simply blown away. Especialy the narration of Mrs. Jayne Entwistle was heartrendingly.
"Halfway to the sky" could not compare. But it was still interessting and a nice book.
Jeremiah Henderson
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I absolutely love stories about the Appalachian Trail and this book was perfect!! A heart-wrenching storyline, and amazing character development. This is one of my new favorites.
#bookaday - summer 2017
  • A River Ran Wild: An Environmental History
  • I Heart Ed Small
  • I'm in Charge of Celebrations
  • Detective LaRue: Letters from the Investigation
  • Maggie's Door (Nory Ryan #2)
  • The Great Elephant Chase
  • Lord Kirkle's Money (Beyond the Western Sea, #2)
  • Gleam and Glow
  • Chester's Back! (Chester)
  • What Every Girl (Except Me) Knows
  • Victory
I grew up loving books by Laura Ingalls Wilder, Lois Lenski, L.M. Montgomery, Madeline L'Engle, K.M. Peyton, Noel Streatfield, Mary Norton, and Sydney Taylor. Patricia MacLachlan and Jane Yolen helped me start writing.

As a child I always imagined how wonderful it would be to wake up to a pony in the back yard, but the way the farm I live on now sits it makes better sense for the pastures to be in
More about Kimberly Brubaker Bradley...