Start by marking “God, Marriage, and Family: Rebuilding the Biblical Foundation” as Want to Read:
God, Marriage, and Family: Rebuilding the Biblical Foundation

God, Marriage, and Family: Rebuilding the Biblical Foundation

The release of the landmark first edition of God, Marriage, and Family provided an integrated, biblical treatment of God's purposes for the home. Since then, explain authors Andreas Köstenberger and David Jones, the crisis confronting modern households has only intensified, and yet the solution remains the same: obedience to and application of God's Word.

In the second edit

Kindle Edition, 2nd edition, 402 pages
Published May 2008 by Good News Publishers/Crossway Books (first published November 11th 2004)

Pedro Pamplona
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eu ouço falar muito bem desse livro há anos e nunca tinha lido. Parei para ler agora nas férias e madrugadas acordado com o Davi e ele realmente vale todas as indicação e elogios. Kostenberger fornece uma ótima introdução sobre casamento e família mais ao estilo teologia bíblica. O conteúdo é bem direto e possui muitas e ótimas notas de rodapé para aprofundamento.

Os temas como casamento, família, filhos, homossexualidade, solteirismo e divórcio são tratados com boa base bíblica e aplicações para
Fellipe Mastrillo
O melhor livro sobre família que já li em todos meus anos de caminha cristã. Profundo, bíblico, relevante e equilibrado.
Paul
Mar 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Daniel Akin, President of Southeastern Theological Seminary says this in his forward, "Perhaps more books ought to be written by a biblical scholar in collaboration with Christian ethicists who have a special interest in and love for marriage and family.
I have found this book to be excellent as it approaches marriage and family from the biblical standard and provides wonderful practical application for contemporary marriages and families.
Mike E.
Jul 23, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marriage
This book would make a good gift to a married couple.

It is comprehensive and thoroughly biblical. The strength of the book is that it is fair in presenting competing views on various issues--like parenting philosophies, the use/non-use of birth control, the permissibility of divorce and remarriage, homosexuality, etc.

Chapter eight is the best chapter in the book. It includes excellent and practical help for parenting--especially teens. For example the authors list seven signs of spiritual maturi
Matthew
Jan 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
The 2nd edition of God, Marriage, and Family by Andreas Kostenberger (first edition was published in 2004) adds several sections to this jam-packed theology book on all things family as the challenges to the Bible in these areas continue to change quickly. God’s Word hasn’t changed on these topics, but the ways in which believers must apply the Word is becoming increasingly confusing these days. Homosexuality, for example, is gaining acceptance even among many in the church, many using the Bible ...more
Laurent Dv
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finally the book that I was looking for : a global exegesis and study of family, man and woman, children, marriage, celibacy (the best part I think). All the subjects that are interwoven..

In fact this is a biblical theology of sexuality or humans from the point of view of family and sex.
I goes from Genesis through Revelation. And as we go along, themes are dealed with. For example on the NT part with Jesus and Paul, divorce is the main subject. On Ephesians 5, the chapter speaks of marriage. I d
Jónatas Lopes
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Muito bom. Recomendo a leitura.
Já a fiz o ano passado e reler foi uma bênção
Joe
Sep 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pastors and laity alike
For the first 6 chapters of this book, Kostenberger isn't writing an opinion piece, rather, he's presenting in systematic fashion what Scripture says about marriage and family. There are few who approach the task he seeks to accomplish with greater skill than Kostenberger, and the result is a solid, Scripturally based overview of God's design for marriage and family.

While he doesn't depart from his Scriptural foundation in the later chapters, he doesn't begin with them, rather, he takes on conte
Mark A Powell
Mar 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Marriage and family life (including children, singleness, divorce, and homosexuality) are examined thoroughly. Kostenberger and Jones do solid exegetical research, developing a biblical theology of family, though minor quibbles remain. The inference that homosexuality is reducible to choice, for example. Certainly homosexual acts are a choice (and undeniably sinful) yet homosexual desires may not be chosen at all—who among us chooses all our temptations? Slight grievances aside, this is a worthw ...more
Amber-Leigh
I read parts of this book for a paper I’m writing on changing family structures and roles throughout the ages, and frankly what little I did read I found appalling. Though much of the information was useful for my work - in so far as I was better able to ascertain the meaning of family from a Christian perspective (which is what I was going for) - the book’s approach to topics such as homosexuality, gender and relationships outside the scope of marriage comes across as derisory and offensive. Th ...more
Brooke E
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is extremely helpful personally to help me truly see a full picture in the Scriptures of God's good desire and design, and His seriousness on marriage and family. This book is expecially helpful in this age that all things regarding marriage and famliy are being redefined. This provides a view of the family rooted in bibilical theology tracing through all of the Bible from Genesis to the Epistles. Some can surely reject it, but the bibical reference and the clearity of the work of bibl ...more
Shaun Marksbury
With fourteen chapters, an appendix, and 110 pages of notes and indexes, this book isn't simply another book on family - it's a systematic theology. Even though it's theologically thick, Köstenberger delivers a readable text from which a lay person can easily benefit. He covers controversial topics important both to our current culture as well as pastorally, such as sexuality, roles within marriage, and divorce and remarriage. He also includes content on child-rearing and how home-life reflects ...more
Corey
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Comprehensive. Solid biblical arguments and coverage of issues related to a theology of marriage, divorce and remarriage, sex, gender, reproduction, parenting, and the relationship between the church and the family in raising children. Good to have as a reference. Gobs of footnotes. I skipped a lot of them.
Bryan Kuranaga
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marriage-family
This book is a foundational book for anyone to read who is looking to establish a theology of marriage and family. I highly recommend this book to those who are looking for something more scholarly to read about marriage. There are some practical items in this book as well, but it is largely academic IMO. All that to say, it was a good read and it's a book I may revisit again in the future.
Andrew Watkins
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is very detailed and rooted in Scripture. It is a great reference resource as it helps the reader thing critically and biblically through various marriage and family issues, but it is also a bit dry.
Jeff Noble
Dry, but helpful. Assesses all viewpoints on tough issues like divorce and remarriage. Can be rigid at times, but is also thoroughly biblical. The chapter on homosexuality is excellent, and I appreciated the tackling of the importance of nurturing, affirming and guiding gender in children.
Philip Brown
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Das buch war sehr gut.
Jason Kolar
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Resource. Kostenberger is a good writer.
Ryan Reed
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid primer on an important study. Köstenberger gives you just enough on a particular topic to inspire future study.
Justin
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dry but great resource.
James Lynch
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid.
Sean McGowan
Overall this is a very good volume. Very clear and concise.
John
Sep 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, kindle
This is a good, comprehensive study on what the Bible says about marriage, singleness, children, divorce, homosexuality, birth control, parenting, and the church. It covers a lot of ground at a high level, but the list of works references and the resources listed at the end shows that Kostenberger has done his research. He draws conclusions that many will not agree with, but conservative Christians will not likely be surprised by many of his conclusions.

I especially appreciated his explanation
Micah Lugg
Kostenberger has served the modern church well by his work in this volume. Consisting of 14 well-crafted chapters, the book carefully and wisely addresses the major issues regarding marriage and family. The second edition has some helpful additions that include a section on parenting teens and various sections that interact with the current debate of various issues.

Also very helpful is the chapter he added entitled, "God, Marriage, Family, and the Church: Learning to Be the Family of God." In th
Scott Ristau
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Overview

Köstenberger and Jones have provided an excellent overview of what Scripture reveals about marriage and family.

Particular strengths include the comprehensiveness of the book, as well as its integrative nature. Topics like marriage, singleness, gender, manhood, womanhood, child-bearing, dating, and the relation of family to the church are all critically related. Other essentially-related topics are ethical issues like divorce, remarriage, homosexuality, and polygamy. All these issu
Shannon
Dec 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
With the plethora of purportedly biblical views on marriage and family circulating through churches today, I was feeling a bit confused. Kostenberger's book looked like a good tool for clarification, and it was. I highly recommend it to any adult who wants to know what the Bible says about many of the issues surrounding marriage and family. Truth is stated clearly and firmly without vilifying opposing views. In the many issues addressed, he takes care to state what the Bible says without going b ...more
John
Aug 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great volume on the topic of God, Marriage, and the Family. Andrea Kostenberger gives a through treatment on the subjects of family and marriage including topics and issues directly related to both. Highly recommend this book to both those who are married as well as single people and definitely to those in pastoral ministry or those pursuing pastoral ministry. My wife and I enjoyed walking through this as a couple and it certainly encouraged us.
Michael
Apr 04, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good overview of what Marriage is and isn't and how to live as a husband or wife from a purely Biblical standpoint to honor God and give Him all the glory. I hope someday if I do get married to do just that; but even more so, I pray my wife to be will know God more intimately because of our relationship.
Lindsay Kennedy
Dec 18, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Comprehensive and Biblically-based approach on the topics of Marriage, family, children, gender roles, etc. Unlike many books full of pragmatism influenced by current trends, this title aims to be as Biblically founded as possible - thus filling a unique and sadly neglected role in the church today, and recommended as such.
Chris
Oct 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology, church, family
Very comprehensive survey of all the Bible says about marriage and family. Does not always delve into the details and struggles with those who would disagree with a "traditional" family. However, the research is clearly there and one can simply looking up the valuable resources in the massive bibliography, which is almost half of the pagination.
  • Sex, Romance, and the Glory of God: What Every Christian Husband Needs to Know
  • Recovering Biblical Manhood & Womanhood
  • Love That Lasts: When Marriage Meets Grace
  • Reforming Marriage
  • The Exemplary Husband: A Biblical Perspective
  • Peacemaking for Families
  • When Sinners Say "i Do": Discovering the Power of the Gospel for Marriage
  • Evangelical Feminism and Biblical Truth: An Analysis of More Than 100 Disputed Questions
  • What Did You Expect?: Redeeming the Realities of Marriage
  • Big Truths for Young Hearts: Teaching and Learning the Greatness of God
  • Gospel-Powered Parenting, How the Gospel Shapes and Transforms Parenting
  • Family Driven Faith: Doing What It Takes to Raise Sons and Daughters Who Walk with God
  • Vintage Church: Timeless Truths and Timely Methods
  • Everyday Talk: Talking Freely and Naturally about God with Your Children
  • Married for God: Making Your Marriage the Best It Can Be
  • Treasuring God in Our Traditions
  • Christ-Centered Preaching: Redeeming the Expository Sermon
  • The Deliberate Church: Building Your Ministry on the Gospel
“leading unbelievers to Christ is a greater cause than insisting on justice in human relationships. Believers are to defer their craving for justice until the last day, trusting God as Jesus did” 0 likes
“Our sex does not merely determine the form of our sex organs but is an integral part of our entire being.” 0 likes