Start by marking “The Backyard Beekeeper: An Absolute Beginner's Guide to Keeping Bees in Your Yard and Garden” as Want to Read:

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  460 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
This book isnÆt only a guide to beekeeping or a honey cookbook; itÆs both. No other book on the market provides an in-depth review of beekeeping and what honey is good for and how to use it. Beautifully illustrated, The Backyard Beekeeper is perfect for the health conscious person who wants to sweeten up their life by saying no to processed sugars and yes, to eating orga ...more
Published May 1st 2005 by Quarry Books

To ask other readers questions about The Backyard Beekeeper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Backyard Beekeeper

jess
Feb 22, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009, bees
I can't wait to get a few hives in my backyard! It's going to be a while, though. In the meantime, I occasionally read some books on beekeeping to stay informed and excited. This book touches on a lot of subjects, but is not too in-depth about any one subject. It is definitely a good primer, but not a definitive book. A large portion of the book is dedicated to recipes and uses for honey and wax. It's like a totally separate book. But it's true, many beekeepers have a difficult time using and st ...more
Bob Redmond
Mar 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bees
This is an excellent book for beginning beekeepers, specifically backyarders, like the title says.

Written by one of the most knowledgeable bee-men (or women) around, it has tons of color photos and other detailed information. In his inimitable laconic style, Flottum--also the editor of Bee Culture magazine--covers all the bases, from getting a hive, to getting bees, installing them, managing for pests, extracting honey. It's all there, even some recipies.

My quibbles are most of all, that Flottum
Arminzerella
This really is quite the comprehensive guide to beekeeping – especially for the small-scale/hobbyist beekeeper. Kim Flottum is an experienced guide, too, being the editor of Bee Culture magazine and the 41st edition of The ABC & XYZ of Bee Culture. In fact, this is so informative that it can be overwhelming to try and take it all in/process it in one sitting! I read it from cover to cover, but other bee enthusiasts might be well-served by skipping to chapters of interest. I borrowed this fro ...more
Nettie
Oct 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: beginning beekeepers!
Recommended to Nettie by: The SF Beekeepers association
I really want to put a bee hive in my backyard and Kim's book is full of no nonsense information about the keeping of bees. I love the section on bee biology, which I never fully understood before. What a machine a bee hive is -- like an efficient Japanese Toyota plant. She is free with her opinions too which is refreshing. Unfortunately, I recently learned that my next door neighbor REALLY dislikes bees, so I think I'll have to wait until I buy that ranch...If I were going to keep bees, I would ...more
Patty
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is not the first beekeeping book the hubby has read as we have entered into this new addition to the farm. He did tell me that it is the best book he has read so far. The book is written for the beginning beekeeper and truth be told even though we have had bees for a year we still have so many questions.

Mr. Flottum lays everything out in a very straightforward manner starting with the basics. He helps the hopeful beekeeper by providing a step by step plan of attack.

The hubby found it very h
Rich Thorne
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bee-keeping, how-to
Good book for just starting out. If you watched any videos or read any other books on the subject much of this will be a review.
January
Apr 13, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: New Langstroth beekeepers who want to keep bees conventionally
Recommended to January by: Amazon
Shelves: own-hardcopy, skills
In the space of starting and finishing this book, I installed my first bee hive—a top bar hive. This book is in my library along with Top-Bar Beekeeping: Organic Practices for Honeybee Health for beekeeping, which it amazingly overlaps very little with and disagrees with on many points.

Things I really liked about this book:

- The pictures were numerous, large, and full color. Since I am a new beekeeper with no human guidance, this gave me confidence to be able to correctly identify queen cups, va
Clare
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was very informational and I read through pretty quickly because I was not simultaneously assembling a hive. The book goes on to give detailed pictures, descriptions and remedies for various ailments that can and often do afflict a colony. One of my favorite lines, paraphrased is that people begin keeping bees for the honey but end up doing it for the love of bees. From all the feedback it sounds like the actual honey producing part of beekeeping is the most challenging to practice. The bee ...more
Lisa Houlihan
Every other beekeeping book I have read suggests having two deep (9"), ten-frame hive bodies (the bees' permanent home) and adding supers above those for honey (theirs and possibly some for you). Flottum suggests having three medium (6"), eight-frame bodies, not because of any advantage to the bees but because deeps are too heavy. I might as well install a scooter path from backdoor to hives so I don't have to walk all that distance either. That and a stairlift down the back steps.

He did suggest
Tom Franklin
Apr 06, 2010 rated it liked it
This is a very strange book in that it was written by a well-known expert in the field of beekeeping but is presented in such a disorganized fashion as to leave me confused.

If I had not been reading other books on beekeeping I would not have had the background to make sense of the almost random order to the presentation of the information. As an introductory book on the subject, it should have been much more logically laid out.

The information itself is very good; the color photographs provide a
Ellen Bell
Jun 15, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: beekeeping
This was a really informative primer on beekeeping, especially for someone who wants to start on a small scale in an urban or suburban setting. After reading it, I definitely know a lot more about the topic; however, I'm not sure I feel 100% ready to order supplies and bees. I think additional reading and/or a class would be helpful, too.

My only criticism of the book is that the author very clearly states in the beginning that his methods and recommendations are based on a beekeeping experience
Leonardo Etcheto
Apr 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Wow, what an interesting read as far as bees in general, their habits, and how to keep them healthy, happy and productive. Does a good job of breaking down the steps required to start a hive. I am now on step one - getting buy in from family and neighbors and finding out the county regulations. Mr. Flottum emphasizes the great American tradition of getting the right gear to make your life easy! Use the industrial power and get your hive ready to go so you can focus on the beekeeping and not the ...more
Marianne
Sep 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Beekeeping is a lot more involved than I ever thought it was. Although I could quibble about the "absolute beginner's guide" subtitle I won't. To be honest, the book does guide the beginner very capably through the steps one must take to start up a bee colony. There is nothing "beginner" about beekeeping, though. I wouldn't suggest that just anyone with only a casual interest pick up this hobby since the lives of many bees depend on doing it right. This book will make that clear!

Having said all
Visha
Jan 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Good primer on beekeeping, written for those who are not only new to keeping bees, but who wish to do it as a hobby. Flottum, editor of the great BEE CULTURE magazine, encourages the use of 8-frame supers rather than the usual 10-frame, which makes things easier for the older beekeepers who may have trouble lifting heavy supers full of honey.

Would have liked more information on natural methods of beekeeping (organic rather than chemical treatments for mites, etc.). Well-organized, gorgeous phot
Pat
May 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A good guide to a beginner, lots of illustrations, equipment needed, how and when to use it, what to look for during inspections of the hive.

My husband is starting a first hive with the help of a friend. I have a healthy respect for bees and a great interest in Not Getting Stung. So I bought this for me, and now I feel more comfortable of what not to do and what one can do, and he is also using it for a great reference.
When one of his trays had some malformed comb, he immediately found the probl
Megan Mudge
Jul 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
As someone who is just beginning to consider beekeeping, I found this book to be the perfect introduction into "backyard beekeeping". It was highly informative, very detailed, and full of practical advice. The author does not assume the reader knows anything about bees or beekeeping - which is great, because I was mostly ignorant before I began reading. She describes every tool needed for installing and maintaing your hive(s), the differences between bee breeds, the various hive scenarios that c ...more
Apr 08, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2009, bees
Felt the organization of the book was a bit odd - that if this had been my only beekeeping book I'd still be a bit out of sorts with beekeeping. There are many gorgeous photos in the book, but some were not well explained - why this photo or that photo? I wondered.

I'm not wild about a system that encourages killing the queen bee each year, or medicating with no cause. Just don't think that Kim Flottum is the kind of beekeeper that I aim to be.

The ways to use beeswax and honey in the back had a
Jen3n
Jan 23, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Chris won't let me have an apiary at home...... so I just have to read about beekeeping and content myself with that.

Well written, for what it is. Apart from the actual beekeeping (hive repair, harvesting, et cetera) there are some interesting ideas as to what one should do with the honey and wax. So there's that.

Not that it matters. I'm not allowed.

For the record, I'm also not allowed to keep goats or pigs or a rooster. Or a miniature pony. Or a regular pony. So, I suppose, not having bees is
Erin
Dec 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've learned a lot with this book. I started reading it before I got bees, and not I am in my first winter as a backyard beekeeper. When I have a question, this is the book I turn to for answers. The writing is clear, the photos and graphics are very helpful, and the tone of the book is very supportive. If you'd like to try your hand at backyard beekeeping, I'd recommend you read this book first, to make sure you are prepared for this investment. It's an invaluable resource for the beekeeping ho ...more
Ami
I felt this was a very detailed book and perhaps put too much information into a volume marked for 'beginners.' No doubt, this would be helpful to someone who needed a bit more information than a complete novice.
Overall, I felt Ashley English's beekeeping book was a more simplistic and understandable read.
Melissa
Apr 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Considering I want to bee keep later in life I decided to pick up this book as a bit of introduction. I thought it was really reader friendly and gave me a lot of useful information about both the bees and the beekeeper. Will definitely have to find this book again when I really start getting into it.
goldslippersandpinkheels
I thought the pictures were great and very informative. I just wouldn't want to use just this book for my only beekeeping reference because it is very text heavy and the text is super tiny, which makes it hard to refer to. Honestly, this could be a really great book for some people, it just wasn't what I was looking for.
Joe
Jun 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
For someone just getting into beekeeping, this is a good one to read. Although it gets a little honey focused (which is beyond what I am ready for) it has great pictures and good information. I am going through it again just to remind myself what things should look like when I open the hive.
Jessi
Apr 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the ultimate bee book! If you want to start a colony this is where you need to start. So well organized, clear, and with beautiful photos. I have learned so much from this book, it's one I will buy to reference over and over in the future.
John Bignell
Jun 05, 2012 rated it liked it
This book seem to have more pictures then text and is a great book to get from your library. But once you read it I don't think you will go back to it. Great pictures with great info, I enjoyed reading it.
Amanda
Apr 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great book for beginning bee keeping! It's helped me a lot.
Kelly
Sep 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Got my bee boxes...now I just have to wait till spring!
Courtney
Jun 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
We grew up with bees and I keep going to back to them for my home and garden. This is a great beginner book.
Trish
As a new beekeeper this has been an incredibly helpful reference with good supporting photos.
Julie
Feb 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still not the exact information we're looking for, but a good start to knowing how to attempt small scale beekeeping. Great information!
  • The Beekeeper's Handbook
  • A Book of Bees: And How to Keep Them
  • Natural Beekeeping: Organic Approaches to Modern Apiculture
  • Keeping Chickens with Ashley English: All You Need to Know to Care for a Happy, Healthy Flock
  • Barnyard in Your Backyard: A Beginner's Guide to Raising Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Rabbits, Goats, Sheep, and Cows
  • Chick Days: An Absolute Beginner's Guide to Raising Chickens from Hatching to Laying
  • Beekeeping for Dummies
  • Robbing the Bees: A Biography of Honey--The Sweet Liquid Gold that Seduced the World
  • The Hive: The Story of the Honeybee and Us
  • Self Sufficiency for the 21st Century
  • Rodale's Ultimate Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening: The Indispensable Green Resource for Every Gardener
  • Backyard Homesteading: A Back-to-Basics Guide to Self-Sufficiency
  • The Edible Front Yard: The Mow-Less, Grow-More Plan for a Beautiful, Bountiful Garden
  • The Complete Compost Gardening Guide: Banner Batches, Grow Heaps, Comforter Compost, and Other Amazing Techniques for Saving Time and Money, and Producing the Most Flavorful, Nutritious Vegetables Ever
  • Back to Basics: A Complete Guide to Traditional Skills
  • The Backyard Goat: An Introductory Guide to Keeping and Enjoying Pet Goats, from Feeding and Housing to Making Your Own Cheese
  • Storey's Guide to Keeping Honey Bees: Honey Production, Pollination, Bee Health
  • Sweetness and Light: The Mysterious History of the Honeybee

$7.99 $1.99
    $27.99 $2.99
  • Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
  • Restless: Because You Were Made for More
    $10.74 $1.99
  • The Beauty Myth: How Images of Beauty Are Used Against Women
    $14.99 $2.99
    $18.99 $1.99
  • The God Particle: If the Universe Is the Answer, What Is the Question?
  • The Wright Brothers