Start by marking “The Influence” as Want to Read:
The Influence

The Influence

THE INFLUENCE (SUPERNATURAL THRILLER)
Published (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Influence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Influence

Meg
Jul 29, 2013 Meg rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction, religion
no real story line - just poorly masked evangelization.
Michael
Nov 01, 2014 Michael rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Jehovah Witness
Shelves: owned-ebook
The first half of the book had me sold. Angels, Demons and eternal battles. Characters were highly descriptive. And I loved it. What made this book even better? It had some nice philosophical takes that made me wonder about the universe. This book was doing awesome.

was...

Then Bahm! I was hit with a 'Trust-Jesus-or-your-life-will-be-spent-in-eternal-damnation' type a message. I wanted to put the book down several times. But I didn't... I wanted to read more about the angels and demons battling
Renea  Bruch
Aug 09, 2016 Renea Bruch rated it it was amazing
Loved the book!

I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in Christian fiction. The book storyline is to show us that things happen for reasons that we may never know. It gives insight on how God uses us to accomplish miracles in others lives. He also writes about angels and demons and gives insight into one of the ways the author sees their interaction in humans lives. It's a really good book. :)

David Jephcott
Aug 21, 2012 David Jephcott rated it liked it
This was an interesting read, but I wouldn't pick it up again. A little too long and repetitive. Most of the action seems to happen at the beginning of the book. I think it could have been written better as the story material is quite interesting. I hope Matthew writes more stories and improves his writing skills.
Kathleen (Kat) Smith
It seems like lately I've come across some amazing, life-changing novels on the subject of spiritual warfare and how it relates to the unseen realm of angels and demons and the influence they have in our lives. Yet I just finished a fantastic novel that took me much deeper than I could ever imagined as if I were quite literally in the shoes of Mark, a man who is trying to find answers in coping with the loss of his son, a year old. He believes if he can simply understand the "why's" of it, he ma ...more
Pat
Jun 02, 2014 Pat rated it it was amazing
Mark is in his garden, grieving and depressed over the unexplained death of his son and without knowing it, is almost coaxed by a demon into committing suicide. But, at the last moment Sotare, an angel, rescues him and is later permitted to appear to Mark in the Garden. The two dialogue about God, life, death, good, evil, the spiritual realm, and the nature of truth. However, all is not well. The demons are watching and powerful evil forces are sent to kill and destroy those who are close to Mar ...more
Mark Smith
Dec 27, 2013 Mark Smith rated it it was amazing
It's not very often that I read fiction, but I'm glad I decided to read this book. It kept my interest the whole time and was very fast to read (especially for a book nearly 400 pages). There is definitely a Christian message in the book, and the author doesn't back away from presenting the true gospel.
Lana
Aug 23, 2015 Lana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, christian
I thought this was an amazing religious/supernatural thriller exploring spiritual warfare. It seemed a little scary to me because it was the first book of this kind I read, and even though it's fiction it seemed very real somehow in terms of possibilities and descriptions of what goes on that we can't see. I highlighted many parts and would read it again.
Kerri
Jan 24, 2013 Kerri rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites of late! If you liked This Present Darkness by Frank Peretti, this is a MUST read!!
Michelle
Jan 19, 2014 Michelle rated it really liked it
Lots of truth

an amazing story with a lot of biblical truth.
truly amazed at the creativity of slick and how he was able to keep it biblical too.
Aly Jones
Jun 03, 2013 Aly Jones rated it it was amazing
loved this book! my mom suggested that I read it. very good read. made me think about what could be happening around me every second if everyday. I still think about it.
Sue
May 15, 2014 Sue rated it it was amazing
Wow, what an insight. Loved this book :)
Nora Kremer Seville
Jan 15, 2017 Nora Kremer Seville rated it it was amazing
I love Christian Thrillers. I read this book in a day. It has so much biblical information and you can't put it down. Matt Slick did a fantastic job making the reader picture angel and demon!
Dena Shorey
Dec 13, 2016 Dena Shorey rated it it was amazing
Thought provoking, uplifting book. Would recommend for those that love The Shack.
Alexandra
The copy I read is a pre-release, so some editing is still needed. I really enjoyed this story. It is fairly simple and straightforward, but compelling. Christian fiction which deals with angelic and demonic influences on our lives is interesting to me. Another book that does this well is This Present Darkness by Frank Perelli.

There are so-called "Christian fiction" books out there, some become quite popular, that actually teach heretical ideas in the guise of fiction. So I was glad to find a st
Cindy
May 22, 2013 Cindy rated it really liked it
I'm a little more than half way through this book and am enjoying it thus far.

From the beginning this book gives an interesting and imaginative look into the reality of the unseen world around us.

The tragic death of their only son leaves Mark and Kathy with unanswered question, a distance growing between them and Kathy being concerned for her husband's emotional health. As she travels to assist her Dad upon his return home after surgery, she and Mark are confronted with the reality that the ca
Angela
Oct 07, 2013 Angela rated it it was ok
As far as religious thriller`s go, I thought this did a good job of illustrating the fight between good and evil. This also did a good job of presenting the Christian way of life, as well as the understanding Christians have to reach the next life.

My biggest critique would be the choppy sentences and unneeded narration. I would be vetting along in the book, then something would be overly explained or spelled out. I don't know if this is an exact example, but if a person takes a drink of water I
Barbara Tsipouras
An awesome book that might seem unbelievable but is so true. Since This Present Darkness (F.Peretti) I haven't encountered a similar book about angels and demons and their influence on earth. Clear message and biblical truth entwined by a gripping story.
I know many people who should absolutely read this book, but unfortunately they won't do that because the purpose is quite clear from the beginning.
What I really love are the conversations between Sotare and Mike and I appreciate the focus on p
Steve Curll
Apr 14, 2014 Steve Curll rated it really liked it
Great read on spiritual warfare. The writing, however appears to be too rythmically repetitive with most sentences the same length, and euphemisms repeated too many times. The Salvation message overwhelms the story in the last third,perhaps a turnoff to the non Christian. However, I will let the Lord use this as he very well might to bring people to Christ. The last chapter is a detailed explanation on how to be saved, which could be quite useful. It does have great thriller qualities ala Perett ...more
Anne Stokey(Glaspy)
Oct 05, 2012 Anne Stokey(Glaspy) rated it liked it
Great story line and purpose for this book. The only criticism is it's written probably somewhere around a middle school level. Don't let the number of pages concern you as it's a very fast read. However the message is great - God has a reason for everything and purpose for your life. Also that becoming a Christian doesn't necessarily mean life will get easier, most likely more difficult as God may put you through trials to bring you to the right place. Loved the use of angels and demons to expl ...more
Sherman,
Jan 10, 2016 Sherman, rated it it was amazing
I did not put it down until I finished! Spiritual warfare, lessons on the heart of God and Bible based modern day implications are intertwined to uplift and influence readers to become active believer and for believers to grow in faith. I found Influence to be very different from my Dekker and Peretti experiences in just the right directions to provide exciting surprises and unique insights. Applause and kudos.
Chelsea Brodin
From the start of the book it felt very choppy and there was no clear path that I was talking about. Leading on that wild goose chase, I had a hard time following most of the book. There was only a good 50 pages…maybe that has a very direct train of thought. Before and after those 50 pages it was completely scatter brained. About 100 pages in I just knew that I wanted the book to be over with so I took my time and read it fully, but was always hoping it would end sooner, then it did.
Ron Sheets
Apr 11, 2015 Ron Sheets rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
The book started off slow, but got into it and by the end, wish it didn't end!

This book reminds me of the Frank Perretti books of spiritual warfare and angles doing the work of God in human lives. Great stuff, and it makes you wonder how God uses His messengers in our lives for those who are His.

The Gospel is clearly shown during the whole book and the author has a statement of what the Gospel is and how to receive salvation in Christ Jesus.

Great read!
Patrick
Oct 08, 2013 Patrick rated it really liked it
It has been a while since a book has brought me to tears. If you liked Peretti's Darkness books, you should enjoy this immensely. Any poor reviews are a likely reflection of a particular reader's disdain for the message. Make no mistake, this book is written that God might be glorified and Jesus known. If you're struggling to let go of sin, shame, burdens...this is medicine for your soul.
Tami Stackelhouse
"There is great mystery in the suffering of the innocent for the benefit of others."

"God uses trials and tribulations to teach you many things. These trials often show us who *God* is. And, they show you who *you* are. But the funny thing is you cannot really see how great God is until you see your *real* self and that often doesn't happen until you go through difficulties."
Dan
Oct 01, 2012 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an overtly Christian book written with pretty solid theology on what it would look like to be able to see the spiritual and physical realms side by side and how one influences the other. Think angels and demons. I would say the writing is good...not great. The story is great...not fantastic. And while there are a few things I would change, I HIGHLY recommend it for teens.
Cynthia Bethea
Mar 06, 2013 Cynthia Bethea rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book, I can't give it a real review because it's been a while since I finished it. One thing that has stuck with me is the description of heaven; very different from any I've seen before.
Larry Thacker Jr.
Oct 14, 2013 Larry Thacker Jr. rated it really liked it
If you enjoyed Frank Peretti's work from 20 years ago, you'll like this. Not that it's the same kind of book. It's a little more philosophical and personal. The book seems to be setting us up for more to come and I look forward to reading the sequels.
Shelly
Feb 19, 2013 Shelly rated it it was amazing
I just recently finished this, and thought it was great! Wonderful reminder that we are in a spiritual battle daily, not an earthly one. And the author weaves the Gospel consistently through the story - - highly recommend!
Robin
Sep 27, 2015 Robin rated it it was amazing
Very good book regarding spiritual warfare in a novel type setting. He took some liberties with the spiritual world but made it very interesting with lots of action between the demons and angels but stayed true to God's Word.
Goodreads Librari...: Combine Editions/Author needed 2 14 Jun 28, 2014 10:39AM
  • The Face of God
  • The Turning
  • Flight of Shadows (Caitlyn Brown, #2)
  • Honor Redeemed (First Responders #2)
  • Legacy Road
  • Stone of Destiny
  • Pillars of Grace, AD 100–1564 (A Long Line of Godly Men, #2)
  • The On-Purpose Person: Making Your Life Make Sense
  • Waking Lazarus
  • Valeria's Cross
  • Soul's Gate (Well Spring #1)
  • The Forgotten Trinity
  • Sky Blue
  • The Gate
  • Mellington Hall
  • Cooking the Books (Sloane Templeton Mysteries #1)
  • Terminus
  • God on the Streets of Gotham: What the Big Screen Batman Can Teach Us about God and Ourselves

“Different events teach us different truths and truth equips us for service.” 1 likes
“feelings and personal preferences are not what determine truth. You don’t create your own reality, nor do you create your own truth. You don’t make reality go away if it is inconvenient. You must face it because truth is tied to reality, and reality is independent of you. Therefore, truth is independent of you.” 1 likes