Start by marking “Second Sight (Paul Christopher #7)” as Want to Read:
Second Sight (Paul Christopher #7)

Second Sight (Paul Christopher #7)

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  253 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Second Sight is seventh in the series that follows the legendary spy Paul Christopher-a man ensnared by a line of work that never failed to exert its insidious influence outside professional boundaries.

Now retired and living the quiet life as a loving husband in Washington, D.C., Christopher has survived battlefields of World War II, undercover Cold War killing grounds, an
Published October 18th 2007 by The Overlook Press (first published July 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Second Sight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Second Sight

Michael Martz
Aug 06, 2017 rated it liked it
'Second Sight', the 7th (?) in Charles McCarry's series starring Paul Christopher, was a real challenge. I love McCarry's technique, characters, knowledge of the intricacies of the clandestine world, and approach, yet this one went places his earlier efforts didn't. I powered through to the end, but it wasn't easy.

The key element of the plot is that agents of The Outfit (CIA) are being captured, drugged, debriefed, and cut loose by someone and retired spy Paul Christopher is identified as just t
Don
Feb 15, 2010 rated it liked it
Economically written as always, this is another in the line of McCarry novels detailing the fantastic life of Paul Christopher. Unlike most of the other books in the series, this is only in small part a suspense novel (and most of the "present day" action is saved for the last 100 pages of the book) and more a filling-in of the backstory to elements of the Christopher mythology.

As an action or suspense novel, this is a failure. However, if you have read all or most of the other books in the ser
Joe
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Second Sight is the fifth entry in the Paul Christopher series. Paul is a secret agent in The Outfit, the author’s fictionalized version of the CIA, and is a unique individual even in the world of espionage. Charles McCarry is one of my favorite authors in this genre. His books are dense reads but I find them hard to put down. There’s always a central plot - in this book Outfit agents are being kidnapped, drugged and then filmed while being questioned and spilling all kinds of secret info. The a ...more
Tom
Jul 31, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
McCarry's best, in my opinion, and the most recent, this book ties up all the loose ends developed over 6-7 previous novels involving the Christopher family. McCarry and Furst must be the greatest living espionage writers today; I think LeCarre has lost his groove.
Erica Verrillo
Jan 31, 2013 rated it did not like it
Charles McCarry, author of the "Paul Christopher" series, has been hailed as "the best spy novelist writing today." (Miami Herald) There is some justification for that claim. McCarry, himself a "deep cover" intelligence officer, draws upon a wealth of personal experience in the "Outfit" that few writers in this genre can match. In addition, McCarry is also a superb storyteller, weaving fascinating cultural information (based, in part, upon his job as the editor of The National Geographic) into p ...more
Tripp
Sep 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
I've clearly stated my love for Charles McCarry's Paul Christopher novels, but I have to say Second Sight is a hard one to recommend. Set long after the disastrous conclusion to the Last Supper, the book reads like a collection of deleted scenes from the prior books roughly connected by a thin plot. The book consists of a series of flashbacks of various characters from the Christopher world. In many cases, we learn the fates or the unsuspected connections between characters. If there were any da ...more
Beth
Jun 25, 2011 rated it did not like it
SECOND SIGHT: A PAUL CHRISTOPHER NOVEL by Charles McCarry is a well-written novel. And that kept me reading it long after I otherwise would have given up. McCarry seems to be, in SECOND SIGHT, at least, a great writer but not a good storyteller. This is because it takes so long for anything to happen. At page 122 I almost stopped reading. I almost stopped again at page 145.

But some readers who have read SECOND SIGHT have given this book high marks. That’s because this is the seventh in a series
John Kaye
Sep 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Reading these McCarry novels in the order they have been re-released by Overlook has been fun, as the knowledge you have of the character's development and future somehow adds to the involvement. For all that, I found this one less satisfactory than some others: David Patchen, a main character here, doesn't come alive as much as I would have liked, but maybe that's the point too!
Tom
Jan 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009-books-read
Paul Christopher yet again shines in this book about the Beautiful Dreamers, espionage agents captured, plucked clean of intelligence and released back into the world.
This book delves into the history of the Ja'wabi, and enlists Zarah Christopher in unraveling the group behind the Dreamers.
With plots and subplots like these, it's hard to put down the book.
Alison
Apr 04, 2012 rated it liked it
I don't usually like spy novels and have never read this author before but this one I would definitively recommend this one. This book was really intelligent and felt a bit like a historical novel. In the end is turned a bit more into a traditional spy novel which bored me but overall it was great.
Christopher Culp
Aug 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
I loved this because of the details it back-filled in the life of the Christopher family. It's indispensable for followers of the Christopher series. For those who are not McCarry and Paul Christopher followers, this will be hard going.
Terry Irving
Jan 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recommended
Charles McCarry is the Great Unknown Novelist. His Paul Christopher books are absolutely wonderful but you almost never see them and certainly not at the top of Best lists where they deserve to be.

Kevin Jolly
Jul 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Second Sight: A Paul Christopher Novel (Paul Christopher Novels) by Charles McCarry (2007)
David Hoopes
Jul 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It's hard to believe he wrote this in 1974. I guess it's a bit sad that the major political parties in the U.S. don't seemed to have learned anything in 40 years.
Veronica Lindsey
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent, as always.
Joan
Nov 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
A really great spy story, the last in his Paul Christopher series and one of the best.
Dale
Nov 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-suspense
Possibly the best of the Paul Christopher novels from Charles McCarry.
Kathy Sebesta
Apr 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
First time with this author and will definitely read the rest of the series. Good characters, a bit convoluted but what do you expect when you're dealing with spies?
Ann
Not the best of McCarry's long saga of Paul Christopher and his family, but there are good parts about the time his daughter spent in the Maghreb.
Robert
May 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
An appealing alternative to le Carre and Deighton. Paul Christopher is an American version of George Smiley. I'm looking forward to reading all of this series and I'm just getting started.
Michael
  • The Incumbent
  • The Edge of Justice
  • The Sisters
  • Dark Homecoming
  • Violence of Action (Rogue Warrior, #10)
  • Background to Danger
  • Charlie M (Charlie Muffin, #1)
  • Faith (Bernard Samson, #7)
  • The Unfinished Novel and Other Stories
  • The Lighthouse at the End of the World
  • The Clarinet Polka
  • Uncivil Seasons (Justin & Cuddy #1)
  • Agents of Innocence
  • The Book of Samson
  • Summer Gone
  • The Blind Man of Seville (Javier Falcon, #1)
  • The Cadence of Grass
  • Red Gold (Night Soldiers, #5)
McCarry served in the United States Army, where he was a correspondent for Stars and Stripes, has been a small-town newspaperman, and was a speechwriter in the Eisenhower administration. From 1958 to 1967 he worked for the CIA, under deep cover in Europe, Asia, and Africa. However, his cover was not as a writer or journalist.

McCarry was editor-at-large for National Geographic and has contributed
More about Charles McCarry...

Paul Christopher (10 books)
  • The Miernik Dossier (Paul Christopher #1)
  • The Tears of Autumn (Paul Christopher #2)
  • The Secret Lovers (Paul Christopher #3)
  • The Better Angels (Paul Christopher #4)
  • The Last Supper (Paul Christopher #5)
  • The Bride of the Wilderness (Paul Christopher #6)
  • Shelley's Heart (Paul Christopher #8)
  • Old Boys (Paul Christopher #9)
  • Christopher's Ghosts (Paul Christopher #10)