Start by marking “The Ex-Boyfriend's Handbook (Ed & Dan, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Ex-Boyfriend's Handbook (Ed & Dan, #1)

The Ex-Boyfriend's Handbook

(Ed & Dan #1)

"Funny, moving, and a guaranteed page-turner. Brilliant!"
-Mike Gayle, author of Mr. Commitment

"It's not me-it's you."

After ten years, Jane's had enough of Edward Middleton. "You've let yourself go," she tells him. "So I'm letting you go too."

Determined to get her back, Edward realizes he must learn how to make women want him again. But right now, he's the kind of man w

Published November 1st 2010 by Sourcebooks Landmark (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Ex-Boyfriend's Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ex-Boyfriend's Handbook

Tea Jovanović
Urnebesno zabavno i duhovito... Za ovu knjigu nagrađen je kao prvi muškarac koji je dobio tu nagradu... Romantic Book of the Year... :) Nažalost, grdne korice izdavača nisu doprineli popularizaciji ove knjige... :( Tražim mu novog izdavača...
AH
Jun 09, 2011 rated it really liked it

"Edward. Let me get this straight. You've called me right in the middle of Antiques Roadshow just to tell me your girlfriend's gone to bed?"

Tibet, Dan. Jane's gone to Tibet. She's left me."

Poor Edward! Never in his wildest dreams would he have imagined his girlfriend of ten years leaving him (and taking almost all the furniture!). He's despondent, and in a little bit of denial, so he calls his best friend Dan. Dan is a local television personality and he has had many girlfriends. Actually, Da
Nov 29, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
2 words that describe the book―Male chick-lit

3 settings or characters I met

* Brighton, England, Present Day

* Edward Middleton comes home one day to find his apartment empty. No, he hasn’t been robbed; his girlfriend of 10 years, Jane, has left him. In her note, she says “It’s not me—it’s you.” It seems that Edward’s increasing weight, sloppiness and lack of ambition has made Jane rethink things. So she’s off to Tibet and will be back in three months. Edward decides he has three months to make hi
Hobart
Feb 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011-reads
The book begins with our hero, Edward, receiving one of the (if not the) worst Dear John letters imaginable. What's worse is that Edward soon realizes that every nasty thing enumerated in the letter is true. In her letter, Jane essentially has given Edward three months to fix himself, which will at least open the door for a discussion of their future.

So, with the guidance and help of his best friend/ladies' man/cad, the lady bartender from their pub, his lecherous/man-chasing boss, and his new
Love
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit
Terrible. Misogynistic dialogue. Humor fell flat.
Brianna (The Book Vixen)
Review copy provided by publisher

3 stars

Why I Read this Book: I’ve seen The Ex-Boyfriend’s Handbook described as the male-equivalent to Bridget Jones’s Diary. I thought BJD was hilarious so I wanted to read The Ex-Boyfriend’s Handbook. I was even more curious to read a Chick-Lit book written from the main male character’s POV, figuring it would be quite a change from the norm. It was.

What I Liked: The book begins on January 16th, the day Edward discovers that Jane, his girlfriend of 10 years, ha
Cheryl
Nov 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Edward Middleton comes home to find his girlfriend, Jane has left him. Jane and Edward have been a couple for ten years. As if things couldn’t be worse, Jane not only left Edward but left the country. Jane went to Tibet. Though she did leave Edward a note. She told him that “You’ve let yourself go, So I’m letting you go. She left it on his scale and told him to use it for more than just stacking newspapers.

Edward has three months before Jane returns. Edward’s good friend, Dan tells Edward that
Wendy Hines
Jun 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Most chick-lit type of books are written by women. So it was a wonderful surprise to see that The Ex-Boyfriend's Handbook was written by a man with a man's point of view.

Edward Middleton has had the same job since college, and is happy with his relationship with Jane. They met in college and have lived together for ten years. So it's a shock that HE is shocked when Jane leaves him a Dear John letter, leaving him, but stating it really is HIM and not her.

Edward doesn't understand why she would
Rhoda Baxter
These books are good fun. I read this and the sequel one after the other and enjoyed them both (I found them whilst browsing the 'just returned' shelf in my local library). They are contemporary romantic comedies with fun characters and really great dialogue. Ed and Sam are lovely characters. The secondary characters are even funnier.

You can call them 'Lad Lit' if you like - although I don't see why people are surprised that men can write romance. We all fall in love. And why do people always a
Doreen
Jan 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Charming boy version of chick-lit. You'll root for Edward throughout, and probably spend a good portion of your time laughing aloud. There are parts which wrap up a little conveniently, as well as parts that are just as messy in real life, and I'd highly recommend this book as a look into the psyche of certain kinds of modern men. Quite lovely.

In fact, my only question is: what happened to Billy exactly?

I received this book gratis as part of GoodReads' First Reads program.
Suzanne
Sep 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-kindle
cute, quick read....first "chick lit" by a man...i enjoyed it!
Melissa D'andrea
Dec 19, 2014 rated it liked it
It was really funny book! Many times I laughed out loud and giggled. Matt Dunn made all the characters so interesting I wanted to know more about them.
Jenny
Jun 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Hilarious. Literally laugh out loud funny!
Son Agia
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ha ha ha ha ha!

Nyata dan mengalir. Dua kata itulah yang pantas menggambarkan buku ini. Dan ketika saya bilang 'nyata', itu berlaku untuk semua aspek. Dialog, plot, karakter dan lainnya.

Terutama dialog, yang sangat sangat tongkrongan banget. Ini contohnya: (saya terjemahkan)

'Jadi," kata Dan, "Dia memutuskanmu begitu saja, lalu pergi ke Tibet?"
Aku mengangguk.
"Tibet itu di mana?"
"Deket India, yang ada gunung Everest. Perbatasan China dan Nepal."
Dan tertawa kencang. "Nepal?'
"Apanya yang lucu?"
"Aku m
TheSalmaZ
This was an okay read. It kept me interested enough to find out what happened at the end but I did spend a lot of time conscious of how much I had left to read. I mean, it was alright, but there was a lot of things said that were based entirely on stereotypes and a lot of the characters were quite two-dimensional.
Librat
Oct 01, 2017 rated it liked it
3-1/2 stars actually; somewhat predictable but fun. Central character quite likable; happy to see him win. After long time girlfriend clears out for extended vacation leaving a note blaming him, Edward goes through intense self examination with his self-admiring girl magnet friend. They develop plan for improvement; we experience Edwards redemption with his good humor and behavior
Crowei
Jul 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Sometimes you want a break from the Sci-fi and the fantasy so you get yourself a nice easy summer read. Pretty good read.
Nicole
Apr 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Chick lit from a man's perspective. Cute story.
Helen Wright
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. Made me laugh out loud.
Svetlana
Nov 04, 2018 rated it liked it
3,5 stars
Tracey Priest
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is an ok book. It's not gripping but an easy read. It's about a guy who's dumped by his girlfriend and goes about getting fit to win her back.
Kerry Henderson
Apr 15, 2019 rated it liked it
A fun read about a man who gets dumped then goes on a journey to learn about himself women and dating in general .

A lighthearted story with some funny moments.
Obsidian
Oct 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I went to the bookstore a few weeks ago and bought a lot of new books, i.e. never read the author beforehand. I saw this novel and decided to give the book a chance. I am glad that I did this little experiment since I have really enjoyed reading this novel and the next two in this series starring Eddie Middleton.

In The Ex-Boyfriend's Handbook, the main character Eddie gets a "Dear John" letter from his long-time girlfriend of 10 years, Jane. Jane leaves Eddie for Tibet for three months. Addition
Blodeuedd Finland
Ok for, my chick-lit for men thing, well, I mean it has the way of chick-lit, but it's from a male POV, and instead of all that romance there is more humour. Something for women to enjoy and also a book that men will like.

Plot:

One day Edward comes home and his girlfriend has left for Tibet. She has left a note telling him that he has left himself go so he starts this journey to improve his looks, his job, his life, in hope to get her back when she comes home from Tibet.

My thoughts:

I do chick-lit
Nov 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Edward Middleton has been dating his girlfriend Jane for ten years until one fateful day when he returns to his flat to find it half empty with a “Dear John” note left behind. Jane’s “Dear John” note has the rather cruel line, “It’s not me – it’s you” and proceeds to tell Edward how he has let himself go and that Jane has had enough. Jane hasn’t just moved across town, but is gone to Tibet for two months.

Together with his best friend Dan, the “star” of a mid-morning antiques show, Edward formula
Anita
Nov 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, romance
Edwards girlfriend of ten years, Jane, has left him. There was no discussion, no fight, no warning; she just packed her stuff and left. She leaves a note explaining that Edward has let himself go in every way imaginable, and she can't live with it. He has 3 months to get his life in order for when she gets back, or else.

Because it's not done very often, I am a fan of books that are told from the male perspective and are also a part of a genre that I enjoy. The Ex-Boyfriend's Handbook one ups tha
Best Crime Books & More
Oct 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
I had this debut novel of Matt Dunn's on my Kindle for quite a while, but after my sister started chuckilng whilst reading it I decided to give it a go. Edward Middleton is a normal bloke who has been with his girlfriend Jane for years. He wakes up one morning to find he is on the receiving end of a Dear John letter. According to Jane, Edward has let himself go, so she decides to let him go and takes all her things with you. The first few chapters don't particularly show Ed in a good light, I wo ...more
Marie
Sep 12, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: europe, fiction

I don't know why I did it...read this book, that is. It caught my eye at the library, and I was interested in the British setting (Brighton) and a supposedly "chick lit" type of story written by a man. As I've said before, I don't like the term "chick lit," because I find that title denigrating to novels written by and for women. However, it is a certain type of genre, and this novel fits into that category. My husband says I should call it "dick lit." I l
Camille
Jul 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
The Ex-Boyfriend's Handbook by Matt Dunn

I got this book as a freebie from Amazon for my Kindle and decided to read it.

Edward's girlfriend, Jane, has just broken up with him. And she blames him: "It's not me, it's you." Edward is completely heartbroken. How has he lost her? She's been in his life for so many years, and now, suddenly, Jane is gone.

Edward takes the time for self-examination and decides it is time to make some major changes. He is going to make himself over, and he is going to win J
Teena in Toronto
Feb 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoy reading the occasional chick lit and it's always fun to read guy lit.

This book is set in Brighton, England. Edward arrives home to discover that Jane, his girlfriend of ten years, has moved all her stuff out and is spending the next three months in Tibet. In an attempt to win her back, we following him as he hires a trainer so he can lose the love handles he's gotten over the years, he trades his Volvo in for a Mini, gets a new wardrobe and haircut, and does speed dating so he can find o
  • Dating Mr. December
  • The Deadliest Sin
  • The Allegra Biscotti Collection  (The Allegra Biscotti Collection, #1)
  • Hot Flash
  • Restore My Heart (Mustang Sally Trilogy #1)
  • Cattitude
  • Seven Exes Are Eight Too Many (Seven Exes, #1)
  • School for Scumbags
  • This Fine Life
  • Catch of a Lifetime (Tritone Trilogy, #3)
  • Cool Shade
  • A Perfect Match
  • A Secret in Salem
  • A Walk in the Snark
  • Too Near The Edge (Cleo & Tyler Mysteries, #1)
  • Heir To The Everlasting
  • Heart of the Witch
  • The Liberation of Alice Love
Matt was born in Margate, but eventually escaped to Spain to write his first novel (in between working as a newspaper columnist, and playing a lot of tennis). Previously he has been a professional lifeguard, fitness equipment salesman, and an IT head hunter, but he prefers writing for a living, so hopes people will keep buying his books.

Matt is the author of four contemporary romantic comedy novel

Ed & Dan (3 books)
  • Ex-Girlfriends United (Ed & Dan, #2)
  • The Accidental Proposal (Ed & Dan, #3)
“All a woman actually wants is to feel special.” 127 likes
“When someone loves you, there's nothing they won't do for you. When they stop loving you, there's nothing they will.” 32 likes