Start by marking “Fish That Fake Orgasms: and Other Zoological Curiosities” as Want to Read:
Fish That Fake Orgasms: and Other Zoological Curiosities

Fish That Fake Orgasms: and Other Zoological Curiosities

3.49  ·  Rating details ·  68 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
"If you are interested in transvestite garter snakes, the speed-eating habits of the star-nosed mole, or how geckos behave in zero gravity, you will enjoy Fish That Fake Orgasms." ---The Times (UK)

Packed with fascinating, bizarre, amazing, and hilarious entries, Fish That Fake Orgasms takes you on a guided tour of the diverse natural life that surrounds us. It covers eatin
Published December 10th 2007 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Fish That Fake Orgasms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fish That Fake Orgasms

Jeff Guertin
Feb 20, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This book has hundreds, if not thousands, of little tidbits about myriad of animal species, and being a biologist, I thoroughly enjoyed it. My only problem with the book is that although the zoological curiosities are grouped into sections, it is still just a bunch of random facts thrown together, so it isn't a book to sit down and read in one or a few sittings. Instead, I liked reading a few chapters at a time over the course of a few weeks.
Breanna
Cool book! Some of these facts are great conversation pieces.
Tim
Jul 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just loved this book, both for the title and for the numerous biological curiosities within it.

Really rather entertaining although a book to browse through over time more than to read in a sitting, not that that stopped me whizzing through it on the first pass.

I have read through it again subsequently in more piecemeal fashion.If there is a criticism it is that more than once I really wanted more information. I suppose I could go and find the reference text but perhaps a bit more depth would
Susan
Jun 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books of fascinating facts, in this case biological, that inspire you to grab the nearest person and tell her the cool thing you just learned. Like that ants evolved from wasps or that sea urchins have self-sharpening teeth.

The most interesting thing about the book itself is that it was originally published in England with the title Moths That Drink Elephants' Tears. So clearly someone thought the sex factor was needed to sell the book, even though it isn't entirely about r
Marya
Dec 20, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
Mildly amusing book of biological trivia bits. Interestingly, the author originally intended to title it "Moths that drink Elephant's tears". I know this because that's how the book is referred to in the introduction. The editor presumable nixed this title and with the spicier sex title and moved the chapter on sex up to the front of the book. Does it make a difference? Since same editor didn't re-edit the introduction, not really.

And what's up with the cover art of the pink fish smoking a cigar
g-na
Feb 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biology-zoology
As the title implies, this is a compilation of zoological facts, some weirder than others. For instance, did you know that in addition to having four types of eyes and four parallel brains the box jellyfish (Tripedalia cystophora) also has 64 anuses? (I bet you didn't!) And while most mammals have just two types of chromosomes, males possessing XY and females XX, the duck-billed platypus has ten chromosomes. Males are X1Y1X2Y2X3Y3X4Y4X5Y5 and females are X1X1X2X2X3X3X4X4X5X5. If you find that so ...more
LINDA
Aug 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nature
Loved all of the short paragraphs about bizare nature facts!

This would be a great bathroom book to entertain your houseguests- the title will surely catch their attention!

Vocab. words from the book that pertain to my cat:

Flehmen, The expression on the face of an animal smelling a strong odour.

Pronking: When an animal jumps vertically into the air on the spot, so that all four feet leave the ground.
Rebecca
Jan 13, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jessica Curtis
Short paragraphs of zoological trivia -- I'm sure I OhioLINKed it just because of the title, but now I'm culling my herd of books and this one's not going to get prolonged attention. Even though I now know about Wobbly Hedgehog Syndrome. This book would be great in a bathroom or guest room bedside table. Very good list of references, too.
Smellsofbikes
It's interesting, but it's an entire book of one-paragraph weird-things-animals-do, so it's a bit like reading a book filled with quotes.
Still, there are a lot of really weird interesting things in here (moths that specialize in licking eyeballs to get salt, bats with 1 meter wingspans that hunt birds...) and it'd probably be a good gift for a tween with an interest in science.
Carolyn
May 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I like Matt Walker. He's almost as good at presenting nature in all its bizarre as David Quammen. Highly entertaining, and not just for the prurient aspects. Good stuff, and kept my daughter giggling for over an hour.
Melissa Johnson
Mar 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Fascinating zoological trivia! I love it.
Shana
Sep 25, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of great, quotable tidbits!
Tina
May 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nature-writing
This book is packed to the gills with fascinating tidbits about the animal kingdom.
Hannah Jane