Start by marking “The Reading Lesson: Teach Your Child to Read in 20 Easy Lessons” as Want to Read:
The Reading Lesson: Teach Your Child to Read in 20 Easy Lessons

The Reading Lesson: Teach Your Child to Read in 20 Easy Lessons

The Reading Lesson is a bestselling program that teaches young children to read in 20 easy lessons. It is designed as a step-by-step course for parents who want to teach their young children to read at home. The teaching method is based on phonics and key-word recognition, and with its innovative and guided approach, the 20 step-by-step lessons provide an easy-to-follow ...more
Published April 1st 2002 by Mountcastle Company (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Reading Lesson, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Reading Lesson

Start your review of The Reading Lesson: Teach Your Child to Read in 20 Easy Lessons
Anne
Dec 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone teaching a child how to read
Recommended to Anne by: Emily Jex
I cannot say enough about this book, it is amazing!!! I was really struggling with helping my daughter learn how to read, I had no clue how to actually go about it. This book has helped a ton! I would recommend this book to anyone who is trying to help a child learn to read. I wish I had discovered it when she was in Kindergarten(or earlier), but it has still helped a ton for first grade reading, and it has helped her catch up to her grade level (she fell behind last year because I was sick, and ...more
Brittany
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a really great resource for learning to read that I plan to use with all of my children. There are other resources that can be ordered to go with this, but I did not find them to be necessary as I made my own. I used this with my kindergarten child, but I plan to start it next year with my 4 year old if she seems ready. This is similar to the 100 Easy Lessons book which I used with one of my older children. My five year old was literally reading almost instantly. It gave five letters at ...more
Heather Simmons
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Short, achievable lessons that my kid enjoyed. Combined with several different reading programs like Usbourne beginning readers, my son learned to read at age 5.
Catherine
Jun 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Parents
Shelves: reference
I love this book. It is fun and easy to use. My daughter started when she turned four and is now reading chapter books easily at six and we have started our son on them too. The lessons are simple and you can do as much or as little as you want at a time. The kids love that they can learn to read stories so quickly, because the layout of the book means they are reading stories by the end of the first chapter.

I also bought the CD so I could print multiple pages, along with their other CD's and
Maryann
Apr 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Out of all the books on teaching your kids to read, I like this one the most. I'm not a fan of using pictures to help learn the letter sounds (adding more steps to readily recognizing the sounds) or using worksheets (only because it becomes expensive as you progress through 5 kids). I think I will give this method a try, adapting to my preferences as I go along.
Jamie
I started using this book when our daughter was 4 years old. She really enjoyed the lessons and truly picked up reading faster than I would have expected. I highly recommend this book if you want a good understanding of phonics and a great start to reading.
Jen
Jul 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008, curriculum
Totally love this book. Perfect for my 5 year old. Goes well with Explode the Code stuff, too, if you want more writing, or use it with a younger child who is ready to read but struggles with writing.
Jillybean
Jun 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Slowly working through this book with my 5 year old . . . really good book!

Probably won't finish this before she starts kindergarten . . . a really good book to introduce letter sounds and beginning phonics skills!
Stephen
Sep 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-kids
Matthew says he likes reading the letters and making the sounds.
Kursten
Aug 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Great combination of phonics and whole language. Hunter actually asks for this book. I think it is a simple and fun way to teach reading.
Amanda
Oct 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Great simple teaching tool. Caden is always proud of his reading accomplishments. Easy to stop whenever he has had enough. Love the book!
Shelley

• Scavenger Girl: Season of Atchem
  • Brain Rules for Baby: How to Raise a Smart and Happy Child from Zero to Five
  • The Five Love Languages of Children
  • The Complete Short Stories of Ernest Hemingway
  • Wild Things (Chicagoland Vampires, #9)
  • Blood Games (Chicagoland Vampires, #10)
  • Beauty and the Goblin King (Fairy Tale Heat, #1)
  • The Beginner's Bible: Timeless Children's Stories
  • The Second Empress: A Novel of Napoleon's Court
  • Atonement
  • La bibliotecaria de Auschwitz
  • Because Internet: Understanding the New Rules of Language
  • A Literary Education: Adapting Charlotte Mason for Modern Secular Homeschooling
  • Unapologetic Homeschoolers: University Graduates by Nineteen
  • Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons
  • Homeschooling Methods: Seasoned Advice on Learning Styles
  • The Color Purple
  • Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Hogwarts Library)
Michael Levin is Professor of Philosophy, City College of New York.