Start by marking “Here We Go Again: My Life In Television” as Want to Read:
Here We Go Again: My Life In Television

Here We Go Again: My Life In Television

A MEMOIR OF BETTY WHITE’S FIRST FIVE DECADES ON TELEVISION—AS IRREVERENT AND IRRESISTIBLE AS THE BELOVED ACTRESS HERSELF

BETTY WHITE first appeared on television in 1949 and has gone on to have one of the most amazing careers in TV history, starring in shows such as Life with Elizabeth, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, and The Golden Girls, among many others. She is one of the h

Published October 12th 2010 by Scribner (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Here We Go Again, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Here We Go Again

James
Nov 23, 2016 rated it liked it
A friend recommended this book to me, noting it would be a light read and likely a good break from all the mystery, suspense, murder and thrillers I generally choose. He was right, a definitely a light one, but I'm on the fence on how much I enjoyed it. I rated it a 3 because the sections I loved, I loved. But the sections I did not love, I did not love!

I'm a huge Betty White fan and find myself on the lookout for anything new she stars in. I knew a lot about her career for the last 35+ years wh
Jason Koivu
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I knew Betty White went back a few years, that she was part of the Mary Tyler Moore set, but I didn't realize she went all the way back to the very dawn of television! Radio, even!

Here We Go Again (probably a reference to this being her second or third biography) is a really nice and compact look at the history of television programing, especially in the early years. It's short, which is to its merit, and it is sensibly focused on White's career, but nevertheless I learned a thing or two about t
Rebecca McNutt
description

This biography is funny (sometimes bizarre, too), but it also offers a portrait into the changing world of television and how quickly it progressed between the 1970's and 1990's eras.
Katie
Feb 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Wow -- if I thought I liked Betty White before, I'm now in love with her. This autobiography reads like a conversation -- just as I imagined Betty to write and to be. I mean, I felt like i was talking to my grandmother, my great aunt, and my best friend all rolled into one.

Her humor, positivity, and effervescence radiates throughout the entire book.

I couldn't put it down -- in fact, I read all but 40 pages in a weekend of travel.

If you are even REMOTELY interested in old television, buy this imm
Lisa
Dec 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Betty White has been an ever-present part of my television viewing pleasure for the majority of my life. I can remember spending weekends at my Grandmother’s house watching first-run episodes of The Golden Girls on Saturday nights. While I was too young to fully appreciate the show as a five-year old, I was reintroduced to the seemingly timeless comedy in college when reruns were shown on the Lifetime network. Eight years since being reintroduced to the show, I can still watch The Golden Girls a ...more
Freda Mans-Labianca
Oct 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I learned so much about Betty from reading this book. I knew she had been around showbiz forever, but had no idea what a true pioneer of television she really is.
I also learned things about her love life that I had no idea about. Not that I was supposed to know such intimate details, but it was eyebrow raising information.
Fans of all walks of life will enjoy this book. Told in her own words, you can hear her voice when reading. Not literally, but figuratively.
Jul 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a fun read! Betty White is such a witty, cheerful and hard-working person! It was fun to learn about her experiences with television over many decades and see how the business has changed through her eyes. She is such a charismatic person, and the book made me want to watch more of her shows other than Golden Girls!
Mom
Aug 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Betty White is an amazing lady! I already thought she was but this book confirmed it! I love her writing style. It's so honest, direct, and humorous. There is no hopping around in time to confuse you and the pictures are in close proximity to what she is talking about. I can't wait to read the next book!
Rebecca
I didn't like this book as much as I thought I would. This book is more of a chronology of her work in television (which the title very obviously states). I guess I just expected a little more of her sassy personality to come through - but I found the read to be mostly name dropping accompanied by some pictures. Maybe my expectations were too high, but I would only recommend this book if someone was genuinely interested in hearing about every single project she worked on 'back in the day' and wi ...more
Jamie
Mar 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bios-memoirs
I was honestly hoping for a bit more humor in this. While it is there, it is very toned down from what I'd expect from Betty White. Although I must admit her story is interesting. She is an incredible woman and I admire her even more after listening to this. I enjoyed her perspective on show business. Especially her earlier years in it. It is a bit sporadic and doesn't follow much of an easy continuum of events. While not so much humorous, it is still easy to enjoy Betty's wit and easy banter. I ...more
Carla Peele
Aug 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
It was an interesting look at television's inception, and finally a bio that was mostly sweetness and light, not creepy tragedy lurking at half of the corners. It was just a breezy, fun read-- like having a conversation with Betty herself.

And, when she spoke about feeling defensive when attacked by those feminists at the Television and Broadcast Convention, I was SO on her and Jayne Wyatt's side! "Go, ladies!", I thought. Personally, I thought the feminatzis were being stupid-- the roles of wom
Corey
Mar 01, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bio-memoir, kindle
An enjoyable read by one of the great ladies on earth! Informative and fun to learn about Betty White's early career.
Jo Dunn
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
l *love* this "behind the scenes" look at the amazing Betty White!! Upbeat, positive, funny, down-to-earth and honest to a fault!!
Mindy
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Betty White is precious. I love her happy spirit and her go getter attitude. This is a great read!
Shannon
Here We Go Again: My Life in Television

I Picked Up This Book Because: I love Betty White and lets be honest I needed something short to take me over the top for my 2017 reading challenge.

The Story:

As I said I love Betty White. I find her story fascinating. This particular book deals with her life in TV. A bit of her time with Allen Ludden (and other husbands). Betty has done so much in her time. She has truly seen television though its infancy to the bounding bustling business today. She
Amanda
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a great read. I couldn’t put it down! As I was reading I heard her voice saying various quotes and I was floored by all the many accomplishments she had in her life. The world of television and movie is more lucky than I ever knew to have such a wonderful actor (and as it turns out writer!) in their world!
Zuzka Namu Jakubkova
Apr 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
When it comes to female comedy, Betty White is a legend in a field of comedy talk shows and live-action sitcoms. In this book, she covers her TV career from Betty White Show to Golden Girls. A pleasure to read (or listen to). <3
Samantha
Dec 06, 2017 rated it liked it
What a sweet woman. ❤ ...more
Cheryl
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is an interesting look at Betty White’s life and all the different TV shows and plays she was in. It also talked about her big interest in animals. It talks more about her professional life vs her personal life.
Sara
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: funny, memoir
"Cloyingly sweet on the surface and something of a dragon underneath, with a tinge of nymphomania."
Orsolya
Aug 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whether you are 9, 19, or 90; EVERYONE loves Betty White. Name one person who doesn’t and I will personally check their brain cells for defective wiring. This loveable lady opens up the story of her long-lived career in “Here We Go Again: My Life in Television”.

This is the third Betty White book I have read and was pleasantly surprised with the writing style/content. In comparison to White’s other books which feature antidotes and inspirational stories/advice; “Here We Go Again” is more of a mem
Texbritreader
Nov 16, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: hollywood, actors
This book is a reissue of Miss White's breezy 1995 memoir and includes a new introduction and afterword. It focuses primarily on her long career in television with some amusing anecdotes about her many famous friends (Lucille Ball, Carol Channing, Mary Tyler Moore, Fred Astaire, George Burns etc.) and some personal stories involving her third husband, gameshow host Allen Ludden, her stepchildren and her parents. Her childhood is almost completely omitted, as is her first brief marriage.

However,
Amy Palmer
Feb 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Betty White fans, Golden Girls fans, television history buffs
Shelves: to-buy
Betty White is most certainly a television pioneer. She was there, doing live TV, before most people even had television sets. There are no tapes, obviously, of the first television shows she was on, so it was a pure delight to read her recount those days and what it was like for her, blazing a trail in this new frontier.

I was surprised to find out about her relationships prior to the love of her life, Allen Ludden. It was wonderful to read about their special relationship and how much they love
Patricia Post
Oct 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Reading this Betty White book not only takes you on an enjoyable journey through the life of this wonderful person, it also provides a quick course in television history. She tells her stories with intelligent good humour and natural, positive outlook. The bonus is that she's really a good writer.

I felt like I was sitting having coffee with a friend, hearing all the news first hand. What a pro, what a down-to-earth person, what an exemplary success story. All because she kept following her passi
Karen
Dec 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-books
I listened to this book and Betty White was the reader. It was great as you could hear the emotion in her voice as she talked about her life, the years in television, how those years came to be and the many many people that she knew and influenced her life.
I was happily surprised that there wasn't language in this story. Betty can be gruff at times and knows how to swear like a sailor. Betty has a long legacy in TV. She started on radio, moved to commercial spots, then got her break into TV and
Emily
pretty good read. Nice narrative style, again though I have trouble following non chronological life stories. BW seems to be very down to earth and missing form her book was the ego driving drivel that ruins so many interesting stories. Would however have liked more about her early years, her childhood etc. though she has so much to cover in the years she chooses to write about. Nice light read.
Barb
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biographies
I absolutely adore Betty White.
And, with her long and fabulous career she probably has stories she could share that would titillate, however, she is the ultimate lady and tells a lovely story of a well lived life.
Truly a beautiful woman inside and out.
Thanks Betty!
Kim
Jan 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was for book club, and I might not have read it without that inspiration. It was fun to read about tv history, Betty's life, and a few pets throughout the years. I look forward to some of her other books.
Melissa Pettersson
May 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Didn't have time to finish this book....but what I did read was great. Betty White is one funny lady. LOVE her!
Jonathon Baugh
The abridged version simply cut out way too much. I loved the stories, but felt like they missed the connections from one to the other. Easily a 4 or maybe a 5 if it was not abridged.

• My First Five Husbands... And the Ones Who Got Away
  • Dolly: My Life and Other Unfinished Business
  • And Furthermore
  • Child Star
  • The Insanity File: The Case of Mary Todd Lincoln
Betty White is an American five-time Emmy Award-winning film and television actress with a career spanning sixty years. She also appeared in radio programs, movies, theater, commercials, and was also a talk show and game show host. White is perhaps best known for her roles in the sitcoms The Mary Tyler Moore Show and The Golden Girls.