Start by marking “The Angels Will Not Care (Cecil Younger, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Angels Will Not Care (Cecil Younger, #5)

The Angels Will Not Care (Cecil Younger #5)

PI Cecil Younger works out of Sitka, Alaska, a place of stark beauty and unpredictable danger, where a man paid to look for the truth can just as easily disappear and even the angels will not care.

Cecil Younger never thought it would come to this—providing surveillance for a chicken coop being raided by a fowl thief. But things have not exactly been breaking right lately f
Published January 4th 2000 by Bantam (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Angels Will Not Care, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Angels Will Not Care

Joyce
Jul 23, 2017 Joyce rated it it was ok
Shelves: mysteries
Made sense to take a mystery set onboard a cruise ship on a cruise ship trip. Unfortunately, this strikes me as one of John Straley's weaker stories. He sets Cecil up for an issue with his conscience but that never really happens. Also, the story line for a string of deaths on the ship is dated and there is a subtle hint of anti-gay sentiment. All in all, unsatisfying.
Susan
The Angels Will Not Care by John Straley is book 5 of the Cecil Younger series set in 1999 Alaska. Cecil is a private investigator in Sitka, where he has lived for 15 years. His girlfriend Jane Marie DeAngelo of three years is a research biologist and CEO of a games company, the ‘day job’ that funds research on humpback whales. Their friend Todd lives with them. Todd is not well adapted socially. Cecil quotes a neighbor, “Todd ain’t dumb, he’s just smart in his very own way.”

Cecil says of life i
Andrew
Oct 18, 2014 Andrew rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-africa
Subtle. Straley, you're frickin' subtle. You caught my attention without my even realizing it, sucked me in, then wouldn't let me go until the last page.

Given the number of people who see the state of Alaska from the deck of a cruise ship, it is a setting that is rarely examined by the state's authors. In the hands of a talent like John Straley, it allows us to meet a cross-section of people AND address a few aspects of today's society – the author takes us to the impact of those masses of touri
Jenine
Apr 19, 2012 Jenine rated it really liked it
I haven't read this author for years. This one was pub'd in 2000. I have a little catching up to do. It's a detective novel series set in Sitka Alaska. The first book, The Woman Who Married A Bear, broke my heart in a good way. This one mostly takes place on a cruise ship. I liked it a great deal. There is poetry and alienation and sweetness. Even if it's quite a stretch to think that an 8,000 person village needs a private detective.
Matt Heavner
Apr 12, 2014 Matt Heavner rated it really liked it
quick read, fun story from the inside passage/SEAK.
Chris Wolak
Jul 13, 2010 Chris Wolak rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Fun book to read after just going on a cruise to Alaska. Purchased in Sitka, Alaska, home of Straley. This was the first book that I read of Straley's and I look forward to reading more.
Scott Nicholson
May 30, 2011 Scott Nicholson rated it it was amazing
Love his writing
Eliana
Apr 04, 2014 Eliana added it
Set in the Pacific Northwest, really well written mysteries.
Savannah
Oct 03, 2008 Savannah rated it liked it
It's easy to put him just into a noire detective niche, but Straley does such an outstanding but subtle and unfussy job of capturing Alaska that he really deserves our writer laureate title.
Readmore
Readmore rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2014
Georgina
Georgina rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2017
Lillian Stoner
Lillian Stoner rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2012
Martin
Martin rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2014
Craig
Craig rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2008
Greg
Greg rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2016
Sherry Meador
Sherry Meador rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2014
Kathy
Kathy rated it liked it
Dec 07, 2014
Janice
Janice rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2009
Adam Mcfarlane
Adam Mcfarlane rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2013
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2007
Jackie Harrison-jewell
Jackie Harrison-jewell rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2011
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2010
Nicola
Nicola rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2012
Kate Merriman
Kate Merriman rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2008
Olivia V.
Olivia V. rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2012
Wade Lawrence
Wade Lawrence rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2012
Jim Collett
Jim Collett rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2016
Molly
Molly rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2008
Miki
Miki rated it did not like it
Apr 25, 2009
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Novelist John Straley has worked as a secretary, horseshoer, wilderness guide, trail crew foreman, millworker, machinist and private investigator. He moved to Sitka, Alaska in 1977 and has no plans of leaving. John's wife, Jan Straley, is a marine biologist well-known for her extensive studies of humpback whales.
More about John Straley...

Cecil Younger (6 books)
  • The Woman Who Married a Bear (Cecil Younger, #1)
  • The Curious Eat Themselves (Cecil Younger, #2)
  • The Music of What Happens (Cecil Younger, #3)
  • Death and the Language of Happiness (Cecil Younger, #4)
  • Cold Water Burning (Cecil Younger, #6)