Start by marking “Enter the Kettlebell!: Strength Secret of the Soviet Supermen” as Want to Read:
Enter the Kettlebell!: Strength Secret of the Soviet Supermen

Enter the Kettlebell!: Strength Secret of the Soviet Supermen

With Enter the Kettlebell! Pavel delivers a significant upgrade to his original landmark work, The Russian Kettlebell Challenge. Drawing on five years of developing and leading the world's first and premiere kettlebell instructor certification program, and after spending five years of additional research into what really works for dramatic results with the kettlebell-we ha ...more
Published January 1st 2010 by Dragon Door Publications (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Enter the Kettlebell!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Enter the Kettlebell!

Jacob Aitken
This book was surprisingly good. I made the earlier mistake of watching one of Pavel's Youtube videos and it turned me off. Then I read someone say how he used humor. That, too, turned me off. Needless to say, this book was the opposite of what I expected--and it was very useful.

Pavel corrected a lot of moves I was doing, and thus spared me from some serious injuries. If you pick up a kb and start swinging and cleaning, you will hurt your wrist. Painfully. Pavel shows you some basic pointers.

ED
11 Crimes
Sep 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love kettlebells, and this is probably my favorite entry level kettlebell book. Make no mistake, Pavel used to come off like a bit of a marketing caricature in his earlier days with dragondoor, but he is absolutely the real deal. His stuff works, period. If he needs to play it up a little to get his stuff out to a bigger audience, so be it, as long as it works I'm fine with that.

Kettlebells really bridged the gap between maximum strength and strength-endurance/power for me. I was skeptical at
Kendra Ware
Dec 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Great book for starting kettlebell training. The step by step instruction on different exercises is very easy to follow. There is not an actual workout program outlined in the book but a companion pdf called 'Enter the kettlebell...the workout' by Anthony DiLuglio can be found for free online. DiLuglio's workout takes the concepts and exercises from the book and puts them into a 12-week kettlebell program.
Justine
Nov 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
Would be 3 stars because of the good coaching tips but the macho bravado is a little too much for me.
Deirdre
Feb 05, 2015 rated it liked it
A lot of macho bravado and not my book.

This is not to say that this probably isn't a good book for another person but for me it's not what I need to learn. This isn't a beginners book and is a book that would be useful after a few classes but it grated a bit with the attitude.
Azn
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Easily the most popular book on exercising with kettlebell. If you're unfamiliar with kettlebell, it's these ancient apparatus shaped like a kettle designed to be used for explosive movements. Recently gaining popularity with the fitness/strength crowd, it's often regarded as a fad, but history showed that usage of the kettlebell, dated as far as Ancient Greek and 18th century Russia.
This book sometimes read like a sales pitch as obvious in the title. There are various suggestive statements app
Stefan
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
I have been doing body weight training since 2012. Unfortunately, I have not always pursued my goals sustainably and only in about two thirds of the past few years have I followed a program.

My problem has never been the intensity of the training or a plateau, but that at some point my motivation has collapsed and that after a break I had to start again with what felt like zero.
I bought Tsatsouline's book to gain mental strength and motivation to stay with it and maybe expand my body weight prog
KrisAnne
Aug 21, 2019 rated it liked it
I mean, good info couched in just a ridiculous amount of fragile masculinity-informed marketing ("I'm sick of your metrosexual gyms! I'm a man, and I'll train like a man!" "Fat loss without the dishonor of aerobics!" "You will start your de-sissification process..." A chapter entitled "A Step-By-Step Guide to Becoming a Man Among Men." Just to name a few examples). Occasionally the existence of women athletes is acknowledged. The tone of the writing feels both like it's in on the joke of the BE ...more
Mary Ann Merlin
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The man knows his stuff.

Young and old alike can benefit from Pavel's book. If you know nothing, this books is for you. If you think you know something, this book for you. Don't want sound too obvious, the man is single handedly made kettle bell a household word. In my book he is the Founder of the Feast. Absolutely, no way to go wrong. Go old school; go with Pavel, the Russian special forces trainer. Jt. Merlin.
Carey Nelson
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
You got it, Pavel.

The fitness center in my office building just got some kettlebells. I wanted Pavel to teach me how to use them. He keeps insisting he's teaching me to be a man. He used the phrase "dishonor of aerobics" at least four times.

The ebook has some formatting issues and a typo here or there. Literature this is not, but it is chock full of helpful pictures and some humor too.
Daniel
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics, health
The info in this book helped me to repair two chronically herniated discs in my lower back. Wall squats. Do them right, every day, and they are miraculous. Same goes for the kettlebell exercises. If you do them right they make things right. It’s not just strength, but the coordinations the movement teaches you.
Evan Schultz
Dec 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Okay primer for those wanting to get started with kettlebells but no idea where to start with them.
- Explains what size kettlebells you should aim to get.
- Gives a list of movements and how to perform them properly (you're better off just looking them up on youtube).
- Gives sample weekly programs for how to progress with them

That's about it, the rest is mostly fluff.
Joe Koennecke
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fitness
The starting point for anyone interested in kettlebells. A great overview, history, and text book all in one. The descriptions and step-by-step images make putting words on a page into practice pretty easy if you have even basic experience with KBS. If not a couple of videos and this book are all you need.
Ken Hastings
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is it

The one book you need to safely begin Kettlebell training. All the basics are covered in great detail and plenty of photos of what to do, and not do. Watch his video "Enter the Kettlebell" on YouTube for a complete introduction. https://youtu.be/cKx8xE8jJZs
Bas Heetebrij
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: health
It is funny how politically incorrect the book is, but it is ver useful reading if you want to start with Kettlebell training. It won't substitute classes, but does complement them very nicely.
Nikolay
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sport
Must read book if you take kettlebells training seriously. And you must take it seriously, comrade.
Andrew
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read

It's a good read for basic knowledge of kettlebell training and breaks down the form for beginners. Would recommend a first read.
Drew Howard
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book.

Great book. I'm hooked on kettlebells and this book has helped with instruction and programming. The Rite of Passage program is excellent.
Jeff Nickel
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love training with kettlebells and this is the definitive beginners guide to them.
Pavel
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excellent instructions for how to perform the movements and some good general principles but... could have been a blog post.
Svetlana
Dec 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
I read both Pavel’s entry books on kettlebells and Steve Cotter’s around the same time. Rather than reviewing them separately I will compare them.
First off, Pavel’s books. I will start with positives. Enter the KB book is a very good starter for 10 for anyone looking to start KB-ing. It’s simple, straight to the point and its explanations are very easy to grasp. If Pavel says – push your butt back, it’s not difficult to imagine what to do. The structure of the book is quite good and suggestions
Anne
Feb 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
Pavel Tsatsouline (like many innovators) is unfortunately not the best spokesperson for his product.
As soon as he publishes a book it is out of date (which is a good thing) because the practice keeps evolving and changing.

I was hoping this book would be more of a reference manual, provide understanding what the exercises are actually doing anatomically or provide a list of how to combine exercises etc. There is so much that can be explained about the physics and mechanics of how kettelbells sh
Salamah
Feb 05, 2016 rated it liked it
I have been working out with my kettlebell since June of 2012 and once I found this little ball I fell in love. I love my kettlebell. It really helped me drop those last few baby pounds and strengthen up. So when I found this book I was really excited. I enjoyed this book because it gave good information about the history of the kettlebell and how Russians used it to train. There are not many moves listed here which makes this book a little disappointing. However there is some humor which makes ...more
Ellen
Apr 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is an excellent choice if you have never used kettlebells, are just getting into kettlebells, or even if you have been using them for a while. Pavel does a very thorough job of going through the proper way to perform the most common kettlebell moves, with detailed descriptions as well as pictures of what to do/not to do. The book also goes through some history of how kettlebell training came to be.

If you are looking for a book that has lots of different kettlebell workouts or ways to c
P. Es
Jun 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Kettlebells...I...kettlebells. I'm all about it after a little playing around and one solid, exhausting workout. the possibilities are endless. this particular book supercedes his "russian kettlebell challenge"...2 weeks in now and recovery from each workout is less and less time. the title hasn't gotten any less dumb - but I've actually been reading the book. especially helpful is the concept of ladders, which he uses elsewhere. life otherwise too hectic to organize things properly to make any ...more
Nikola
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is Pavel's masterpiece in my opinion! I almost exclusively train with kettlebells using the protocols in this book. It has a beginner and intermediate/advanced programs. It also fully incorporates snatches, which his newer book does not. The results I have obtained from months of steady ETK work are nothing short of fantastic. I have lost weight, my muscles are harder, my cardio has improved and I spend relatively little time in the gym. Once every few months I will break up the kb training ...more
Barry Lew
Aug 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a good introduction to kettlebell training that covers proper form on the basic movements: swing, clean and press, snatch, and get-up.

It has some basic programming that will get you started. The ladders for the clean and press are a great beginning routine that allows for quick progression in strengthening your shoulders and core.

Pavel's style is a bit breezy and a bit stereotypical but very entertaining. I'll probably get his other book on double kettlebell training once I become more pr
Liz
Mar 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love kettlebell training. It's the coolest thing I've done in a gym. I've been training for awhile and I'm still as excited about it as ever. The only reason this is four stars and not five is because of the sexism. I understand why it's like that, but I can still have a moment to hate it. Sexism sucks. And is false. I've seen a 135 lb lady do a Turkish get up with a 40 kg bell. Don't tell me we're not as strong.
Andrew
May 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: reference, how-to, fitness
This book is ok. It's a good overview of some basic kettlebell exercises and it provides good tips on form and and common mistakes. In saying that, there's a lot of extra dialogue and promotion on the pages that just doesn't need to be there. If you just want to learn some basic kettlebell exercises, skip this book and hit bodybuilding.com. If you want to be entertained and don't mind the fluff, read this book and enjoy the ride.
Dan
Jun 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fitness
An excellent intro to kettlebell workouts, written with a great sense of dry Russian wit. Very clear and detailed descriptions of exercises and drills to get you ready for the exercises, plus two plans to take you from zero to 'girevik' (Russian strongman).

The proof will be in the execution though - this time next year, will I be snatching a 1.5 pood bell? Seems unlikely right now, but I'm ready to give it a go.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Convict Conditioning 2: Advanced Prison Training Tactics for Muscle Gain, Fat Loss, and Bulletproof Joints
  • Never Let Go: A Philosophy of Lifting, Living and Learning
  • The New Rules of Lifting: Six Basic Moves for Maximum Muscle
  • The Purposeful Primitive: From Fat and Flaccid to lean and Powerful-Using the Primordial Laws of Fitness to Trigger Inevitable
  • Strong Enough?: Thoughts from Thirty Years of Barbell Training
  • You Are Your Own Gym: The Bible Of Bodyweight Exercises For Men And Women
  • The Warrior Diet
  • Fat Loss Happens on Monday
  • 5/3/1: The Simplest and Most Effective Training System for Raw Strength
  • How to Eat, Move, and Be Healthy!: Your Personalized 4-Step Guide to Looking and Feeling Great from the Inside Out
  • Movement: Functional Movement Systems: Screening, Assessment, Corrective Strategies
  • Inside the Box: The Culture, Science, and Sweat of the CrossFit Revolution
  • Strength Training Anatomy
  • Advances in Functional Training: Training Techniques for Coaches, Personal Trainers and Athletes
  • National Geographic Picture Atlas of Our Universe
  • Beyond Brawn: The Insider's Encyclopedia on How to Build Muscle and Might
“Russians are easy to spot, even if you dress them like Buckingham Palace guards. They are “the white people who look seriously ticked off,” as Army Ranger vet Ellis Jones, RKC, has put it on our forum.” 1 likes
“doing the perfect kettlebell swing alone is superior to 99 percent of the sophisticated strength and conditioning programs out there.” 0 likes