Start by marking “Chiwalking: The Five Mindful Steps for Lifelong Health and Energy” as Want to Read:
Chiwalking: The Five Mindful Steps for Lifelong Health and Energy

Chiwalking: The Five Mindful Steps for Lifelong Health and Energy

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  235 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
From the authors of the bestselling ChiRunning comes a revolutionary program that blends the health benefits of walking with the core principles of Tai Chi to deliver maximum physical, mental, and spiritual fitness.
The low-impact health benefits of walking have made it one of the most popular forms of daily exercise. Yet few people experience all the benefits that walking
Published April 4th 2006 by Fireside Books (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Chiwalking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chiwalking

Lia
Jan 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: simple-life, health
I wish this book were more tightly edited. It falls into the trap of emoting just long enough to lose my interest and then suddenly giving some actual information again. The information and philosophy of the book are good, and the pictures are helpful. I'll probably buy it when I move to Oregon and start walking all over the place.
Tanya
Discusses five mindful steps to developing a walking program.
1) Get aligned - develop better balance and great posture.
2) Engage your core - eliminate back and knee pain.
3) Create balance - walk faster & farther with less effort
4) Make a choice - 12 different walking programs (I really liked the matrix that describes the walking program and different benefits & cadence associated with that program (p 137), This is considered the most important step and it reflects a culmination of the p
Colleen O'Neill Conlan
My physical therapist friend recommended this book about a new approach to walking for fitness and well-being. The primary author (it's written with his wife) has studied and practiced T'ai Chi for many years, and brings that sensibility to walking.

I'm generally not keen on the way self-help books sound—a little chummy, a little infomercial-y—and this book is no exception in that regard. There are also some science-y sounding assertions that almost make me wonder about the truth in the rest of
Salam Tims
Aug 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Can't say enough about this book! Incorporating practices from Tai Chi and Chi Gong, it shows you how to make walking a truly energizing practice that unifies body and mind and grounds the walker. Learn and practice this technique to let gravity and chi do the work while you (mindfully enjoy the walk!
Jess
Apr 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: health, nonfiction, 2012
Lots of fluff and exercise philosophy that doesn't contribute a lot to the methodology presented. The bones of this book though are great - good advice about posture and breathing as well as useful suggested walking routines.
Cinnapatty
Nov 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Well, OK, I didn't finish this book. I only got half way and I had to return it to the library! I renewed my limit. Bummer. I'll have to get it again. I liked it. I learned a lot about posture and walking. A completely different way of walking, but it works! This built on what I had learned about Chi in Chi Gong and Tai Chi videos. Great stuff. It totally helped me in a solo 13 hour drive. I kept my shoulders relaxed, my weight balanced, and used the belly breathing to keep my body from seizing ...more
Reuel
Jan 08, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Because I found ChiRunning extremely beneficial, I decided to read/try ChiWalking. However, unlike ChiRunning, ChiWalking doesn't come all that naturally for me. As with ChiRunning, after I read ChiWalking I first tried out the technique on my own and then took a workshop with a certified ChiWalking trainer. I've continued to try out the technique in the four months since I read the book, and I'm getting better at it, but I still revert to my old way of walking because it's more comfortable.
Maria
Aug 07, 2011 added it
I started reading Chi Running, but given my knee issues, picked this up instead. I like the focus on proper bio-mechanics and I'm attracted to the idea of turning walking/running into a mindful, meditative practice. Some of the chapters are a bit extraneous and the technique section probably requires a couple more re-reads (& possibly the DVD). Will look to incorporate some of the different focuses over time, but ultimately the benefit will come from consistency and practice.
Heather Pagano
May 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Dad
Recommended to Heather by: Brian
Shelves: walking
Good explanation of how to chi walk and how to develop a walking program. The postural and nutrition segments in the book are pretty much the same as the info contained in the chi running book. Dreyer does make the differences between chi running form and chi walking form very clear, and has lots of useful tips and tricks, as well as suggestions for how to incorporate what you've learned from chi walking into everyday life.
Andrea
Mar 27, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Basic on the foundations of Tai Chi, this book teaches others how to move with less effort and less strain on the body. This was a very helpful for anyone who is wanting to learn how to move better, learn more about improving one's form or preventing injury.
I especially like learning more about the principles of Tai Chi.
Martha
Aug 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inspired by my certification as a T'ai Chi: Moving for Better Balance trainer, I secured this book from the library. It gave reinforcement to my belief in this technique as well as providing new information for improving health, wellness, strength, posture, longevity, clarity and calmness. Will share with my class at St. John's..............
Megan
May 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Walkers
Great information and techniques. I'll definitely be returning to this one for ideas to help my posture, breathing, and technique. Also has good ideas for different types of walks (i.e. aerobic, relaxing, cardio) which I will be returning to as I recover from a (not walking related) knee injury.
David Whitesell
May 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mind-body-spirit
Liked it just as much as the first time I read it. This time, I read it and listened to it while I am training to walk a marathon. Really makes it easier to walk long distances with minimal exertion.
Jessie
Aug 25, 2009 added it
Great tips for walking with healthy posture and without injuring your joints, etc. But too long. Too much "live a better life" - blah, blah, blah - stuff for me. I think it could have been much more concise. But I'm practicing the Chi Walking and so far so good!
Maverick
Feb 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent book. It really addresses the importance of good posture and the correct stance for walking. It's approach to walking is to help improve fitness and avoid injuries. The hiking section was my personal favorite part of the book.
David
Jan 07, 2015 rated it liked it
I am still working out the practical aspects of this book. But all of sudden I have this strong desire to walk a marathon. Or fly to Ireland for a walking vacation. Or just to walk the two miles to the playground with the kids.
Sara
Mar 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Valerie and her "girls"
A mindful method of walking that not only eliminates injuries but creates energy and health and teaches how to focus your mind and bring in chi. A great book for all walkers.
Marilyn
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
I gained some good tips for form. However, the instructions were a bit repetitive and slow.
Alan
Dec 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fitness
Use your hips. I'm working on it, ordered a metronome to get some feedback on steps, as I do with rows.
Suki
Nov 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very similar to ChiRunning so I didn't read it word for word. I liked the bits about hiking especially.
Ginger Essink
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book helped change my life by letting me walk, fast, with increasing energy, and without pain. Also my new shoes--Hoka brand.
Lisa Whitaker
Good information and truly something that can be used in everyday activities!
Kim
Jan 13, 2010 marked it as to-read
Well, I'm not CURRENTLY reading this, but I need to see what bookmark I've got in it (around page 65). Sometimes I remember to lean a little bit forward when I walk. That's when I walk.
Beth Hogan
Apr 14, 2009 rated it liked it
This may have been me, more of a show me girl to learn! I was challenged to understand reading it.
Danika
Feb 20, 2012 marked it as to-read
I'm less interested in this book than in the ChiRunning book. So when I needed to return this one before my interstate jaunt at Easter, I didn't bother to renew it.
Rochelle
May 31, 2009 is currently reading it
Have read through the basic idea, but haven't got to the chapters on the specifics. Had to return it to the library, but maybe I'll try to find it at Powell's. They also wrote Chi Running
Jacob Cruzan
Aug 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sports-exercise
This book has a lot of good information about posture and using your energy efficiently. I would recommend it.
Angela
I liked the thoughtful approach to walking and information about posture.
Elise
Aug 13, 2016 added it
Shelves: nonfiction
This was recommended to me to help my lousy hips and splint prone shins. It seems pretty dippy but I'm hopeful that it'll help.
Anjuli
Jun 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I'm waiting to get chiRunning from the library...and in the meantime, chiWalking is excellent. It makes me long to go hiking every day.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • KI in Daily Life
  • Awareness Through Movement: Easy-to-Do Health Exercises to Improve Your Posture, Vision, Imagination, and Personal Awareness
  • How You Stand, How You Move, How You Live: Learning the Alexander Technique to Explore Your Mind-Body Connection and Achieve Self-Mastery
  • The Complete Photo Guide to Crochet
  • Brain Gym: Simple Activities for Whole Brain Learning
  • Complete Yoga Book
  • Ancient Secret of the Fountain of Youth
  • The Maffetone Method: The Holistic, Low-Stress, No-Pain Wathe Maffetone Method: The Holistic, Low-Stress, No-Pain Way to Exceptional Fitness y to Exceptional Fitness
  • Honoring the Medicine: The Essential Guide to Native American Healing
  • The Courage To Start: A Guide To Running for Your Life
  • Aikido in Everyday Life: Giving in to Get Your Way
  • The Eight Human Talents: Restore the Balance and Serenity within You with Kundalini Yoga
  • Total Yoga
  • The Gluten Connection: How Gluten Sensitivity May Be Sabotaging Your Health - And What You Can Do to Take Control Now
  • Ayurvedic Healing: A Comprehensive Guide