Start by marking “ChiWalking: Fitness Walking for Lifelong Health and Energy” as Want to Read:
ChiWalking: Fitness Walking for Lifelong Health and Energy

ChiWalking: Fitness Walking for Lifelong Health and Energy

From the authors of the bestselling ChiRunning comes a revolutionary program that blends the health benefits of walking with the core principles of Tai Chi to deliver maximum physical, mental, and spiritual fitness.
The low-impact health benefits of walking have made it one of the most popular forms of daily exercise. Yet few people experience all the benefits that walking
Published April 4th 2006 by Atria Books (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about ChiWalking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about ChiWalking

Start your review of ChiWalking: Fitness Walking for Lifelong Health and Energy
Liaken
Jan 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: simple-life, health
I wish this book were more tightly edited. It falls into the trap of emoting just long enough to lose my interest and then suddenly giving some actual information again. The information and philosophy of the book are good, and the pictures are helpful. I'll probably buy it when I move to Oregon and start walking all over the place.
Tanya
Discusses five mindful steps to developing a walking program.
1) Get aligned - develop better balance and great posture.
2) Engage your core - eliminate back and knee pain.
3) Create balance - walk faster & farther with less effort
4) Make a choice - 12 different walking programs (I really liked the matrix that describes the walking program and different benefits & cadence associated with that program (p 137), This is considered the most important step and it reflects a culmination of the
Jay
Feb 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Having recently become a more active walker, I thought I would see if I could improve on the mechanics, with the hope of staying away from knee and ankle issues. This book purports to do that by teaching a slightly different method of walking. The motion changes to a more rapid but supposedly more efficient gait. I listened to the audio of this book, which is captured as the audio of a lecture that doesnt follow the text of the book very closely, from what I could discern. In fact, the third CD ...more
Milka
Jan 31, 2020 rated it liked it
Some good information about a more efficient way to walk, but the book isn't very well organized and could have been a lot shorter (10 pages or less), especially since it includes a lot of information that has nothing to do with walking.
Binita Karia Thakker
This is such a great book! There are so many subtle and profound insights about how we walk and how we could. There is an immediate impact from just reading a few pages in.
The first time I went for a walk and applied tilting the statue, I felt like a powerhouse. With just a few changes I walked at least twice as much as usual and with half the effort! As the book progresses there are several insights and suggestions that one can apply not only to walking but to life overall as well. This book
Colleen O'Neill Conlan
My physical therapist friend recommended this book about a new approach to walking for fitness and well-being. The primary author (it's written with his wife) has studied and practiced T'ai Chi for many years, and brings that sensibility to walking.

I'm generally not keen on the way self-help books sounda little chummy, a little infomercial-yand this book is no exception in that regard. There are also some science-y sounding assertions that almost make me wonder about the truth in the rest of
Salam Tims
Aug 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Can't say enough about this book! Incorporating practices from Tai Chi and Chi Gong, it shows you how to make walking a truly energizing practice that unifies body and mind and grounds the walker. Learn and practice this technique to let gravity and chi do the work while you (mindfully enjoy the walk!
Jess
Apr 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: health, nonfiction, 2012
Lots of fluff and exercise philosophy that doesn't contribute a lot to the methodology presented. The bones of this book though are great - good advice about posture and breathing as well as useful suggested walking routines.
Edward Dry
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book but though it could be a lot shorter. Lots of good advice on lots of things but I was looking for advice on walking. As it turns out, everything is connected in life and getting all things in balance is important. Sprinkled throughout there is good, practical advice and instruction on how to prepare to walk and how to actually walk. Things to focus on while walking and how to maximize the benefit of walking. After reading this book I'll not take a simple walk the same way ...more
Karl Styrsky
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I purchased this book for the technique in it, not necessarily quality of writing or entertainment. Although challenging to consistently apply, the new walking biomechanics described in this book have made a huge difference in my ability to walk without the hip pains I'd once experienced! So for me, four stars, but you'll only get out of it what you put into regular practice which does take time and patience.
Linda Benedict
Mar 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Hard to learn from a book. They talk about an app, but it is only available for iPhone, not Android.
Cinnapatty
Nov 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Well, OK, I didn't finish this book. I only got half way and I had to return it to the library! I renewed my limit. Bummer. I'll have to get it again. I liked it. I learned a lot about posture and walking. A completely different way of walking, but it works! This built on what I had learned about Chi in Chi Gong and Tai Chi videos. Great stuff. It totally helped me in a solo 13 hour drive. I kept my shoulders relaxed, my weight balanced, and used the belly breathing to keep my body from seizing ...more
Heather Pagano
May 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Dad
Recommended to Heather by: Brian
Shelves: walking
Good explanation of how to chi walk and how to develop a walking program. The postural and nutrition segments in the book are pretty much the same as the info contained in the chi running book. Dreyer does make the differences between chi running form and chi walking form very clear, and has lots of useful tips and tricks, as well as suggestions for how to incorporate what you've learned from chi walking into everyday life.
Reuel
Jan 08, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Because I found ChiRunning extremely beneficial, I decided to read/try ChiWalking. However, unlike ChiRunning, ChiWalking doesn't come all that naturally for me. As with ChiRunning, after I read ChiWalking I first tried out the technique on my own and then took a workshop with a certified ChiWalking trainer. I've continued to try out the technique in the four months since I read the book, and I'm getting better at it, but I still revert to my old way of walking because it's more comfortable.
Maria
Aug 07, 2011 added it
I started reading Chi Running, but given my knee issues, picked this up instead. I like the focus on proper bio-mechanics and I'm attracted to the idea of turning walking/running into a mindful, meditative practice. Some of the chapters are a bit extraneous and the technique section probably requires a couple more re-reads (& possibly the DVD). Will look to incorporate some of the different focuses over time, but ultimately the benefit will come from consistency and practice.
Martha
Aug 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inspired by my certification as a T'ai Chi: Moving for Better Balance trainer, I secured this book from the library. It gave reinforcement to my belief in this technique as well as providing new information for improving health, wellness, strength, posture, longevity, clarity and calmness. Will share with my class at St. John's..............
Andrea
Mar 27, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Basic on the foundations of Tai Chi, this book teaches others how to move with less effort and less strain on the body. This was a very helpful for anyone who is wanting to learn how to move better, learn more about improving one's form or preventing injury.
I especially like learning more about the principles of Tai Chi.
David Whitesell
Liked it just as much as the first time I read it. This time, I read it and listened to it while I am training to walk a marathon. Really makes it easier to walk long distances with minimal exertion.
David
Jan 07, 2015 rated it liked it
I am still working out the practical aspects of this book. But all of sudden I have this strong desire to walk a marathon. Or fly to Ireland for a walking vacation. Or just to walk the two miles to the playground with the kids.
Maverick
Feb 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent book. It really addresses the importance of good posture and the correct stance for walking. It's approach to walking is to help improve fitness and avoid injuries. The hiking section was my personal favorite part of the book.
Megan
May 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Walkers
Great information and techniques. I'll definitely be returning to this one for ideas to help my posture, breathing, and technique. Also has good ideas for different types of walks (i.e. aerobic, relaxing, cardio) which I will be returning to as I recover from a (not walking related) knee injury.
Jessie
Aug 25, 2009 added it
Great tips for walking with healthy posture and without injuring your joints, etc. But too long. Too much "live a better life" - blah, blah, blah - stuff for me. I think it could have been much more concise. But I'm practicing the Chi Walking and so far so good!
Mel Raschke
The author talks about intelligent walking, ways to move more efficiently and healthfully as you walk for pleasure or exercise.
Suki
Nov 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very similar to ChiRunning so I didn't read it word for word. I liked the bits about hiking especially.
Marilyn
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
I gained some good tips for form. However, the instructions were a bit repetitive and slow.
Kim
Jan 13, 2010 marked it as to-read
Well, I'm not CURRENTLY reading this, but I need to see what bookmark I've got in it (around page 65). Sometimes I remember to lean a little bit forward when I walk. That's when I walk.
Anne
Feb 09, 2011 added it
Shelves: gave-up
I skimmed it and think it's a good concept but because it's a library book then it wouldn't be easy to practice the techniques at this time.
Nicole
Jun 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
Easy to read and makes sense. Now to put into practice.
Beth Hogan
Apr 14, 2009 rated it liked it
This may have been me, more of a show me girl to learn! I was challenged to understand reading it.
Ginger Essink
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book helped change my life by letting me walk, fast, with increasing energy, and without pain. Also my new shoes--Hoka brand.

• Descartes' Bones: A Skeletal History of the Conflict Between Faith and Reason
  • Parasite (Parasitology, #1)
  • At Bertram's Hotel (Miss Marple, #11)
  • The Non-GMO Cookbook: Recipes and Advice for a Non-GMO Lifestyle
  • Awakening Your Ikigai: How the Japanese Wake Up to Joy and Purpose Every Day
  • Zolang er leven is - Het tweede geheime dagboek van Hendrik Groen, 85 jaar
  • Keep It Moving: Lessons for the Rest of Your Life
  • Conscious Creativity: Look, Connect, Create
  • Barefoot Running Step by Step: Barefoot Ken Bob, the Guru of Shoeless Running, Shares His Personal Technique
  • Griffin and Sabine (Griffin & Sabine #1)
  • Infinite Powers: How Calculus Reveals the Secrets of the Universe
  • Fox 8
  • Run for Your Life: How to Run, Walk, and Move Without Pain or Injury and Achieve a Sense of Well-Being and Joy
  • The Hungry Brain: Outsmarting the Instincts That Make Us Overeat
  • The Concept of Anxiety: A Simple Psychologically Oriented Deliberation in View of the Dogmatic Problem of Hereditary Sin
  • Crime in Progress: Inside the Steele Dossier and the Fusion GPS Investigation of Donald Trump
  • MONEY Master the Game: 7 Simple Steps to Financial Freedom
  • Devotions: The Selected Poems of Mary Oliver

News & Interviews

Are you new to reading mysteries and thrillers and feeling overwhelmed by where to start? As all good detectives know, narrowing down the list ...