Start by marking “Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness (Overcoming)” as Want to Read:
Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness (Overcoming)

Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness

(Overcoming)

Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness is a self-help manual for this common problem, which explains why it happens and sets out practical methods of resolving it. Everyone sometimes feels foolish, embarrassed, judged or criticised, but this becomes a problem when it undermines their confidence and prevents them doing what they want to do.

This easy-to-use guide, full of
Published May 27th 1999 by Robinson (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness

Start your review of Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness (Overcoming)
Jonathan-David Jackson
Jun 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book seems to be filled with lots of great, useful information. It contains a complete plan for freeing yourself from social anxiety. The only problem is that I'm too lazy to follow all the steps, so I will soon be checking out the book Overcoming Laziness.
Leonard Gaya
May 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Who has never felt awkward, out of place or otherwise inhibited when relating to other people? I, for one, plead guilty! The aim of this book, which (as stated in the sub-title) is a self-help manual, is to shed some light on this rather widespread psychological phenomenon that, generally speaking, we refer to a shyness.

It is in fact a form of anxiety disorder, meaning: a feeling of distress that is out of proportions considering the actual situation we are in. Each individual is sensitive to
Jan-Maat
Somewhere round about page two hundred I found this was getting too difficult to read and I was obliged to turn to rereading Kafka's The Trial instead for some light relief. Now I am not sure if it was just one particular thing that I found painful or the abrasive effect of two hundred pages catching at me.

This book is part of a series - although a completely freestanding book - that apparently some Doctor's practises in the UK are providing / or recommending (view spoiler)
Warda
Jan 04, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I've struggled with social anxiety for the longest of times. My therapist recommended this book to me to read alongside my CBT sessions and to use as a general guide for my life.
It's weird, because I've never been able to speak about this. Mainly due to the fact that I never knew I had social anxiety till the end of last year. And due to my sessions, I've seen such a vast improvement within myself.

All to say that, if you're struggling with your mental health, it is okay and that the best thing
Alex
May 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first time I've read a self-help book and I found it immensely helpful, especially when utilized alongside therapy, my men's support group, and daily writing and journaling. The book is focused on helping you overcome social anxiety and shyness, as you might be able to guess from the title. It does a pretty good job, presenting the tools of cognitive behavioral therapy in very simple and effective ways, and backed up with plenty of exercises and hands-on activities so you can put the ...more
Kasandra Mavrigiannaki
Although I skimmed through quite a bit of a bit because it wasn't entirely relevant to me, there is some really useful information and tactics to use.
Ana-Maria Petre
May 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: never-finished
Not bad, but could have said the same things in much fewer words.
Tian Liang
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pretty good book in general. I loved the tips shared between the pages on how to deal with shyness and social anxiety, and loved the fact that they distinguished between it and social anxiety. However, one thing that I have to disagree is the point-of-view that bullies have high self-esteem. Very much on the contrary, bullies are people with high self-esteem. They feel really good about themselves! And they are charismatic, they are confident, and they're cool. I mean, in social psychology ...more
Susan Baumgartner
Mar 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Biased, inaccurate thinking can include: predicting faults ahead of time, mind-reading and catastrophizing during an event, and dwelling on a post mortem after an event. Have to agree there.
Lots of useful information in this book to help explain the hazards, and ways to prevent, living in a personal world ruled by anxiety. I'd give it 5 stars if it came with a therapist who'd followup with you to make sure you write in your journal regularly like you're supposed to. :-)
Alexandru Somesan
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Being curious about psychology, but also a slightly socially anxious person, I decided to give this book a try. I loved how the author's approach is based on cognitive-behavioral therapy - which is basically about the continuous interaction between thoughts, feelings, and behavior. Some key points of the book:
- Learn to recognize your patterns of anxiety (when it happens, how it manifests etc.) and set your expectations accordingly (e.g. "My public speech will not be perfect");
- Understand and
Ruby
Nov 15, 2014 added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I guess I've finished reading this (although I wasn't really reading it linearly), as I've finally had to hand it back to the library after starting work there a week ago, so that none of my colleagues would find out I'd been reading a self help book (the horror! the shame!). So perhaps the book didn't work 100% lol : ))

But still! Fairly solid advice, based on CBT, which I knew the gist of but it was nice to have worked through examples that were applicable to me. I found a lot of the exercises
Sam Bloom
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Arguably the worst titled and cover of a book I've read. However whats contained is some of the most valuable and thought out material. It's well laid out, providing the theory behind shyness and social anxiety before going into practical steps. Reading this book won't make you the life and soul of a party or turn you into some great oral speaker. But if followed right it will dismantle these cognitions/thoughts that for some are so detrimental and undermining. It's scary to think that such ...more
Stine Fleming
Jun 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sengebord
I've read the Danish version, in that translation the style was very American and the examples seemed very American, but the gist of the matter was clear and the tools were very helpful, once you start aktually using them on a regular basis. I definitly reccommend it to people struggling with anxieties concerning how you percieve others percieving you :-)
Janet
Jun 16, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: medical
Having had Cognitive Behavioural Therapy treatment, , and then reading this book, i found it not much help at all, sorry to say.
Elham
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Reading this book, gave me a very nice understanding of social anxiety. There were some anxieties in me, that I hadnt noticed before. But while reading the book, I figured that Oh I have that too! And I understood how ridicules some of them are. I even didnt know they exist, but then I could totally analyze them and see how some of them are funny. Another good thing about this book was knowing that Im not the only person experiencing these anxieties. It was really hopeful knowing that there are ...more
Sukanya Arora
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Being a clinician, I can totally vouch for this one. Its totally a wonder to me that a self-help book can decipher scientific, psychological techniques with such simplicity and applicability. Recommend it to anyone and everyone who feel that their life is diminished by the weight of the fear of social situations.

I have read the Overcoming Depression, and this one from the Overcoming series. I wish to pick up the Overcoming Body Dysmorphic Disorder or Body Image Problems

Totally competent,
Gulnur
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Definitely very useful in terms of gaining an understanding in depth of social anxiety, personally, I found it a bit tricky to read.
Dina Megahed
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
With this book, I've experienced the pain of refreshing the wounds and the comfort of seeing them getting ready to heal.
It was really helpful.
MS
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really did get some important insights from this book. Now all I have to do is to actually use the techniques mentioned in the book :D
Jess
Oct 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
t
Alan
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found the author's writing style extremely difficult to follow. The book is full of long, rambling sentences that start on one point and finish on another entirely different one. The punctuation was terrible. Reading this book was an infuriating experience, especially as I believe the underlying material is quite good. If only it was structured and edited properly!
Taylor
Jun 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: psychology, health
Social anxiety and shyness is different for everyone, and Gillian covers many different causes and triggers that you might experience. Things you might never have thought of, like your own safety behaviors and inward attention are very helpful at getting a handle on your personal situation. With step-by-step guidance, you'll learn to change your thinking patterns, do things differently, reduce self-consciousness, and build self-confidence.

Finding an ebook version took some work. Amazon seems to
Jun 27, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
I couldn't even get into this book. I tried reading this with my partner and even he had difficulty. I thought that the first chapter was just packed with too much information and the author was trying to cram in everything she knew into one sentence. It was not very well written at all, so if you want a simple straight to book I don't recommend this book!
Mohammad
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best self-help book I've read. It's practical and applicable. It's provided with worksheets to write down your thinking patterns and follow your progress. CBT sounds scientific and well-researched. I will read the book again at a slower pace to get the most out of it and apply the work step by step.
Anser
The book was not bad at all.
The beginning was really interesting and I did underline a lot of passages and parts in the beginning.
Then it started to become more serious.
It seems it can be helpful when following the worksheets and filling in information.
Natasha
Jun 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book. While not very captivating, even for a self-help book, it was still useful and informative!
Cansu
Jan 16, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
everything I already know but in book form
Sherouq
Sep 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's easier said than done,It's really difficult but I'll try my best :)
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
*Bought in the UK Kindle Reading Marathon sale (Jul 2012).

• How to Be Yourself: Quiet Your Inner Critic and Rise Above Social Anxiety
  • Learned Optimism: How to Change Your Mind and Your Life
  • Teaching Hope: Stories from the Freedom Writer Teachers and Erin Gruwell
  • In a Country Garden
  • Stress Control: A Mind, Body, Life Approach to Boosting Your Well-being
  • Steps to the Gallows (Bow Street Rivals, #2)
  • Brain Maker: The Power of Gut Microbes to Heal and Protect Your Brain for Life
  • An Instrument of Slaughter (Home Front Detective #2)
  • Nothing to Grasp
  • Them: A Memoir of Parents
  • La Seduction: How the French Play the Game of Life
  • The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work: A Practical Guide from the Country's Foremost Relationship Expert
  • All That’s Dead (Logan McRae #12)
  • Points of Danger (The Railway Detective, #16)
  • Models: Attract Women Through Honesty
  • Dead at First Sight (Roy Grace, #15)
  • The Diary of Anne Frank: And Related Readings
  • Czerniawski. Polak, który oszukał Hitlera

Overcoming (7 books)
  • Overcoming Depression
  • Overcoming Anger And Irritability (Overcoming)
  • Overcoming Low Self-Esteem (Overcoming)
  • Overcoming Worry (Overcoming)
  • Overcoming Anxiety: A Self-Help Guide Using Cognitive Behavioral Techniques
  • Overcoming Childhood Trauma

News & Interviews

“Self-consciousness comes from focusing your attention inwards, on to yourself, so that you become painfully aware of what is happening to you. At its worst, self-consciousness dominates your attention and makes it difficult to think of anything else but your inner experience – and this can become totally paralyzing.” 1 likes