Start by marking “Shelf Ice (Ray Elkins Mystery #4)” as Want to Read:
Shelf Ice (Ray Elkins Mystery #4)

Shelf Ice (Ray Elkins Mystery #4)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  1,107 Ratings  ·  82 Reviews
It’s February along the shores of Northern Lake Michigan. A heavy blanket of snow has been building up in the woods since early November and the inland lakes have had a solid covering of ice since December. Shelf ice, stacked ten or fifteen feet in places, has been building on Lake Michigan for weeks.

Sheriff Ray Elkins, responding to a late-night home invasion call, discov
Published August 9th 2010 by Writers & Editors, LLC

Kathy
Jul 19, 2017 rated it liked it
I did enjoy this one to the best of my recollection, but when I finished I dinged three stars so I will have to leave it at that. I was on a strange vacation off the grid and think I had better circle back and try another to see why I wasn't awarding more stars.
Heck, how can one complain with this kind of dialogue: "What was he doing here in the middle of the night? Perhaps he was killed somewhere else and brought here for cremation." "That would have been considerate," said Sue. "Bring him to
Sara
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Murders and mysteries in Northern Michigan

This is the fourth in the Ray Elkins series set in a non-specific Northwestern Michigan locale (somewhere in the Traverse City region) which adds to the interest I have in the series! In this book, there is a lot of detail regarding winter kayaking on the big lake-enough to let me know I'll never be brave enough to try! Interesting character development, a lovable dog and a new love interest for Sheriff Ray.
Lauren Good
Feb 08, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense, mystery
I got through this by gritting my teeth. First, the good stuff... The author does a really good job with description, not too verbose so that the story drags, but enough that I could really see what was happening. Also, an interesting mystery. Unfortunately, the mystery just kind of fizzles. (view spoiler) ...more
Elli
Feb 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this as a daily special on Kindle because it looked interesting and I know Michigan well. And I enjoyed it. The unnamed tiny town setting is somewhere reasonably close, but north of Traverse City. It's winter when these occurrences start and turns into much more than anticipated. The atmosphere and the feelings and relationships of the main characters are revealed in giving the reader an insight into the people...where they are going and where they are coming from. It starts with a murder ...more
Robert O Neuwirth
Well written

I enjoyed this book very much. It is a good mystery with interesting characters. I wish the author had written just a little more to tie up some lose ends but over all the ending left me satisfied.
Arlene
Apr 12, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed his book until the end. It didn't wrap things up and left them open ended. I am thinking I may have missed something. There were references to people in other books and a little hard to keep track of where they fit in. Basically it was an easy read.
Lillian Diane Woodcock
Shelf ice

I chose this rating because I didn't like the way it ended. you are left dangling because there is no solid ending.
Pamela Kelley
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Good Book but major cliffhanger.

Just found this author. The plot and characters seem to come together fairly well, although it seems the writer got distracted while writing and left one thought for another. There seemed to be more than one plot going one but only one was being discovered. I am usually generous with giving stars where they are deserved but this book ended with no resolution. End of page going on a road trip and that's it. Never got full meaning of story and ending.
Lynn
Aug 22, 2017 rated it liked it
This was one of the monthly freebies from Amazon - otherwise, I didn't know the author but thought a thriller might be fun for a change of pace. The writing was not outstanding, but I was not able to guess the outcome until the last few pages. Even then, as the main character stated, there were still a lot of loose ends, leaving me feeling surprised when I turned the last page and realized the book had ended. Oh well... like I said, it was free!
Brenda Dickenson
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked the way the story developed and gripped you so you had to finish.

An artist texts her friend who works dispatch on nights. Someone is breaking in and help is needed then the line goes dead. The police have to go in heavy snowladen roads to a cottage. But no one expects a large snow plow to run them down as they are in dd
Liz Warwick
Aug 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Good read but sketchy ending.

Always enjoy Stander's books. This was better than most as there was less time spent learning about kayaking and cooking. Overall a good, pacy whodunit. If i have any criticism it is that the end didn't seem properly finished, almost as if the author wasn't sure it would stand up to scrutiny.
Keith Withers
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
A who dunnit to intrigue everybody

Who killed the artist then nearly killed a sheriff and his Deputy. Who is the mysterious man and where is he hiding. Things get out of kilter as body after body is discovered and what has the 'new religion guy' got to do with it all? A mystery from start to finish. Hard to put down once started.
Kelly
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love it!!

Kept me engrossed, and focused from beginning to end. So many twists & turns!! I loved not seeing ahead of the characters, and having the same puzzle pieces to put together they did. Looking forward to the next book. Was an excellent trip to Michigan in the winter, home sweet home.
Lynda Sweezey
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelf Ice

Shelf Ice is set in Michigan. I knew exactly where the author was talking about. The Towns and Lake Michigan. It makes it even more interesting.
It's a good mystery that keeps you engaged from page to page.
I would suggest you read the first novel in this series before Ice Shelf.
Joe Vitucci
Jul 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Think winter cold up north in a rural area. Think of cops, murders, new wave ministries more concerned with presentation than content. Think sex and drugs and rock and roll, but not a major part of the story. Think depressed economy, scarce jobs, long winters, kayaking despite the weather, and missing people. Pretty interesting story. Enjoy.
Norma  Jean Draves
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good mystery

This is the first book by this author and it was a very good mystery. I will look forward to the next book.
If you
like mystery that keep you wondering who did it then you will like this book.

Yes I would recommend this book.
Freda Witt
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
a sheriff in a small norther country, where there is a LOT of ice and snow, has a murder in his town. His girl friend(?) leaves to go to the city, but there seems to be a couple of other ladies ready to step into her shoes. A televangelist builds a church in his town.
Emma
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am really enjoying this series. I read #6 first and it has prompted me to go back and read the entire series. They are best read in order but can be read as stand alone novels too.
Joan Cameron
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting read

Involved characters with thoughtful descriptions. Believable story line. Apt descriptions of Michigan. Looking forward to reading more of the series.

William G Fredericks
Mar 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
Incomplete case remains unsolved!

My ebook was incomplete. Very disappointed, case simply was not solved. No idea if I have any remedy available? Why?
Denise
Aug 23, 2017 rated it liked it
I miss the lakes, but not in winter. Kindle is discounting this series, which is why I read another one, and I have to say Stander does a much better job wrapping up loose ends in this one.
Gretchen S Kuklo
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Pageturner

Pure Michigan. Realistic characters that are easy to like. Fast paced and exciting. Sheriff is relaxed and likeable. Looking forward to next book.
Suzanne Law
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow.

This book has so much depth. A real page turner. I would recommend it to all WHO loves mystery. Excellent.
Dasha
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another good story in the UP (I think) where weather and food are as important as the other characters, the local sheriff and his deputy. This one relates how the dog becomes a shared companion.
Frances Batson
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book!
Karen Zalewski
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Terrific. Will definitely read more in this series.
sherrie miller
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A resounding mystery.

What a great read. Clues, clues and more clues with nothing given away. Beyond scenic with great descriptions and weather.
barbara pint
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Review

Enjoyed reading this book, lots of interesting actions and dynamics between the characters. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good mystery.
Tami
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
great book
J Weisbrod
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent series

I really enjoy these series of books. I was born and raised in Northern Michigan. A trip down memory lane for me.
  • Metro Star Murders
  • No Cure For Murder
  • Purified
  • Betrayed
  • Bird Brained (Rachel Porter, #3)
  • Amanda's Eyes (A.J. Gregson)
  • Twisted Justice
  • Dead Of Winter (Louis Kincaid, #2)
  • This Time You Lose
  • Loss
  • All Saints' Secrets (Saints Mysteries #2)
  • Drummer Boy (Sheriff Frank Littlefield, #2)
  • Death on the Aegean Queen (Dotsy Lamb, #3)
  • Murder Is A Bad Day To Have A Baby
  • Kill Zone (Lucy Guardino FBI Thriller #3)
  • Sex. Murder. Mystery. (True Crime box set)
  • All for One
  • The Devil's Hour (Laura Cardinal #3)

Ray Elkins Mystery (8 books)
  • Medieval Murders
  • Summer People (Ray Elkins Mystery #1)
  • Color Tour (Ray Elkins Mystery #2)
  • Deer Season
  • Cruelest Month
  • Death in a Summer Colony (Ray Elkins #7)
  • Murder in the Merlot (Ray Elkins Thrillers #8)

“When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro,” 0 likes
“one of the great things about our country is that you get to believe or not believe in anything you want.” 0 likes