Start by marking “Hiawatha” as Want to Read:

Hiawatha

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  128 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
A School Library Journal Best Book of the Year
A Booklist Editor's Choice

Rich in imagery and detail, this exquisitely rendered picture book introduces readers to one of America's favorite classic poems, "The Song of Hiawatha" by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. Illustrated by Susan Jeffers, the Caldecott-Honor winning author of Three Jovial Huntsmen, A Mother Goose Rhyme, this
Paperback
Published October 1st 1996 by Puffin Books

To ask other readers questions about Hiawatha, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hiawatha

Summer
What a gorgeous book! It is a great
poem too. I just want to stare at the pages. It honors the story of Hiawatha and the traditional stories of his tribe.
Susan Mortimer
Oct 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ages 5-105
Shelves: lis-565
Susan Jeffers’ illustrated edition of her abridgement of Longfellow’s epic poem, The Song of Hiawatha, is simply astounding. Jeffers notes in her introduction that this is a poem from which her mother read to her as a child: a poem whose “lovely imagery began to enter [her:] daydreams.” She says further that upon re-reading it as an adult, she “knew [she:] wanted to illustrate the section that [she’d:] loved as a girl.” The part of the poem Jeffers chose to abridge concerns the boyhood of Hiawat ...more
Judy
Aug 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poets-poetry
This introduces kids to a classic poem, but it's not the entire poem; it focuses on Hiawatha's early boyhood years. I may have heard the poem as a child, but maybe not. Perhaps I'm recognizing lines from the poem that I've encountered elsewhere. Jeffers' art captures the feeling of the north woods, and I appreciate the intro. I wish more authors would include notes either at the beginning or the end of their books.
Jana
Sep 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Susan Jeffers focuses on the classic poem's verses that depict Hiawatha's boyhood. The beautiful paintings are so vivid and detailed and they match the beauty in the language of the poem wonderfully. This book is a good picture book introduction to Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's epic poem, The Song of Hiawatha.
Laura Schmidt
Apr 20, 2008 rated it liked it
Okay, so this is a random add but it popped in my head. This is a great story for primary school aged children- especially when read perfectly with the whispering sounds (like my mom did, when she read to my class and I as kids). It's a must-own for any American kid.
Amelia
Nov 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-aloud
I have always loved the poem Hiawatha and this abridged version is a beautifully illustrated introduction for young listeners.
Angie
Apr 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Angie by: saw on Mom's shelf
Shelves: picture-books, poetry
This is a beautifully illustrated version of Longfellows Poem The Song of Hiawatha.
Carole
May 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-books-read
Beautifully illustrated version of Longfellow's Hiawatha.
Nellie K.
Apr 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
great book. You can learn a lot about Native American culture with this book.
Cheryl
A lovely walk down memory trail, I can still hear my mom's voice as I read this poem. Beautiful illustrations with an unusual fine line texture. Book is oversized.
emily
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-buy-for-baby
My parents read this meaningful story poem to us when we were young, and my baby loves it now. The drawings and the rhythm keep us coming back.
Dee
Feb 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember reading this poem as a child. Great illustrations.
Deborah Harris

Emma Williamson
rated it it was ok
Jul 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow was an American poet whose works include "Paul Revere's Ride", The Song of Hiawatha, and "Evangeline". He was also the first American to translate Dante Alighieri's The Divine Comedy and was one of the five members of the group known as the Fireside Poets.

Longfellow was born in Portland, Maine and studied at Bowdoin College. After spending time in Europe he became a prof
More about Henry Wadsworth Longfellow...