Start by marking “The Star King (Star, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Star King (Star, #1)

The Star King (Star #1)

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  1,801 Ratings  ·  138 Reviews
A beautiful fighter pilot is shot down over Saudi Arabia, and ends up in the arms of the king of a distant galaxy.
Mass Market Paperback, 358 pages
Published December 1st 2000 by Love Spell (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Star King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Star King

** 3.5 stars **
It all started with a dream... When Jasmine fell from the skies as her F-16 was derailed by ‘friendly fire’, she dreamed of an unfamiliar world and of a golden-eyed stranger. They linked in this surreal mirage, and Rom visioned an Angel that saved him to later be abandoned alone to his fate.

I just revisited Susan Grant's Star King, and enjoyed all over again this book that starts with force and continues with a journey to a faraway galaxy, in a nice balance of romance, adventu
Monique Atgood
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the very first science fiction romance novel I ever read. It is my favorite of all time. I pulled it out and re-read it last week, and thought what a great movie this would make.

Aliens contact Earth. Only they aren’t aliens. They’re men like us. Turns out, there’s a galaxy wide peaceful stable society. Earth is so far away, we went unnoticed. The aliens are eager to open trade with Earth. After the initial shock, they are allowed to land and commence trade negotiations.

Jasmine i
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

This book. This motherfucking book, y'all.

The H/h have sex atop a giant snail while watching the sunset over the ocean.

I have written and deleted a thousand words in this review because I literally can't figure out how to express the feelings I am experiencing over this. But truly, words fail me right now.
Laz the Sailor
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, smut
Since this is a Susan Grant story, you know you're going to get a good scifi romance. The characters are strong and well-defined, the challenges are large but not over the top, and the sexiness will vary from tepid to hot.

This is one of the hot ones.

Jas is a delightful heroine, mature and feisty, she does what needs to be done to protect her family. Plus she'll fight back-to-back with her man against all opponents. Tears may be spilled, but it won't affect her aim.

This is the start of a series (
E.G. Manetti
I picked up The Star King on a promo expecting Scifi Romance (which it is), and was pleasantly surprised to find an action heroine. One with no paranormal or super heroine powers. Jasmine, a former US Jet pilot has a Twilight Zone-esque encounter with an alien fighter pilot, Rom, when they are both simultaneously shot down in battle on different planets. When their teams rescue them, they are torn apart to yearn for each other for nearly twenty years. They are reunited when earth is discovered b ...more
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Dull story, Dull main character. Just...pretty...dull
Sep 18, 2013 rated it did not like it
Maybe it's not so bad if you've never read any decent science fiction. But if you have, this will seem truly awful.
Lover of Romance
Jasmine, on her fighter jet, crashes down and then she sees a man..a stranger one who is compelling and becomes forever in her memory. Since then, Jas has never been satisfied with her relationships, for she is always looking back to him whose memory has been burned in her mind forever. Rom, once a heir of the B'kah, is looking for adventure and the one woman who has haunted him day and night. Now he is planning on finding her, even if its in a remote system and in the 'frontier' no less. Jasmin ...more
Tara van Beurden
Feb 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-read-2011, own
This is the first in the trilogy that Grant wrote before her Otherworldly Men series (which I read last year) and whilst this was still an enjoyable space romp (and I love me some space romping!) the inspiration for the later series was starkly obvious. The religion used as the basis for society in the Otherworldly Men universe is an evolved version of the one used in this trilogy as is the fact that the religion is used in the manner it is. Moreover, the personas of many of the characters bear ...more
Kathy Davie
Good story. Needs to take more time with development of her character interactions. She could build in such great tensions between her characters and instead it’s almost like she’s sticking to the barebones of the outline.
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-5-star-books
I really like this one. It starts out with some fantasy, but quickly becomes more sci-fi like.

I really don't want to hash out the plot. I will say it is the 1st meeting for Earth government with aliens. We meet a new culture, but don't really learn much about it, since the story doesn't really have much to do with it. Rom is kinda a rebel/black sheep of the family.

I appreciate the way that the author wrote the feelings between Rom and Jas. There was no 'other woman' or 'I'm not good enough for
Dec 05, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-freebies
💝 FREE on Amazon today (12/05/2017)! 💝
Dec 26, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: lovers of sci-fi romance
I enjoyed this and will definitely be reading the other books set in this universe. Susan Grant manages to convey a depth of feeling in her writing, and her books contain an element of humor that really works for me. It's also obvious that Grant knows what she's talking about regarding being in the Air Force. I'm not sure if she actually was, though I think I read that this is, in fact, true.

The characters here are for the most part good. I liked that Jasmine is a little older than your average
Al "Tank"
Sep 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I'm not a romance fan. Well, I do read one writer who does a good job of spinning a yarn.

I started this book expecting a science fiction story. When the romance side started taking center stage, I decided to stop reading it. I even made some noise to that effect here on Goodreads. The next day, I picked up my Kindle to delete it, but decided to read a "bit more" to see what happened to the current "situation". Before I knew it, I was immersed in the story and couldn't get out. (HELP!!!).

Mary Dallenbach
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. Its hard to find good Sci Fi romance. I think this was was really well done. Sci Fi romance usually takes us into the future. The idea that extraterrestrials visit us in modern times was fun. I liked that Grant weaved a story that takes place in our modern time and also takes us to other worlds. Jaz was a great character. She was well grounded and focused as you would imagine a mature woman to be. She had a painful past but it didn't define her it made her stronger. I c ...more
Jun 28, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, sci-fi, romance
I gave this one 3.5*. I would've given 4* but it was just a bit too cheesy.

Definitely cheesy, but also fun, in a save the universe kind of way.

Our heroine, Jasmine is a fighter pilot over Saudi when she is hit by friendly fire, crashes and blacks out - to dream of - our hero, is Rom B'kah, heir to the known universe, who is also in a starfighter that crashes on a far off world and who watches his brother die. He also dreams of her, 'his Angel'.

Nineteen years later - they meet when Earth is visit
Dec 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
I'd forgotten all about this book and while working on this author's books remembered it. Neat book. Sci-fi with heroine as a fighter pilot that crashes and she "sees" the hero in dream-like state. She helps him and they form a relationship via mind only. He then comes looking for her in real life. I enjoyed it and it's been a long time since I read it, hope I got the details correct.
Dec 15, 2010 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Nothing wrong with what I did read. Just not holding my interest.
Judy Lewis
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Title: The Star King
Series: The Star Series
Author: Susan Grant
Designation: Book One of Series, Standalone Novel, NO Cliffhanger
Reading Platform: Kindle Edition
My Rating: Five Riveting Stars*****
Jackpot! I love science fiction, adore action/adventure, and simply can not live without an infusion of romance, but when I find the perfect combination of all three in one great book, I'm in heaven! And fortunately for me, that's exactly what Susan Grant deliv
Gwen (The Gwendolyn Reading Method)
huh. I liked it. But in some ways I was underwhelmed. There was a twist I kept expecting to come and it just didn't. So it was a perfectly normal, but not overwhelmingly interesting story. But in the dearth of many options in the sci fi romance genre these days, it filled a purpose!
Ana Maria
Aug 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Aquellos que quieran viajar y enamorarse por las estrellas
Lei este libro hace tiempo. A España apenas habia llegado nada con romance y cifi, si habia llegado algo que podia catalogarse como "romance cifi" que era la Rosa Cuantica y Inversion primaria, pero ambos libros estaban editados como simplemente de CIFI y estaban casi descatalogados, me costo mucho encontrarlos.

Asi pues este fue el primer libro que lei de este genero, estaba muy emocionada, queria ver que podia ofrecerme la autora, algo que no fuera demasiado "raro" pero que fuera interesante d
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read on average a book a day and have found that I go through four to five 4-5 star books to find one that I not only finish, but want to read more by that author. This book is not only that one in five, but something rare-a book that kept me up all night reading. I was absolutely glued to my Kindle.
Rom B'Kah is the exiled Vash Nadah Prince, now a space trader and pirate. Twenty years earlier he was fighting Sharron, an enemy to his people, when his brother was killed and he was left sterile
Holly Bargo
Jul 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A cut above other alien romances

First, kudos to the author for a technically clean book. No complaints about grammatical errors this time.

Second, the story flows well with even pacing, realistic dialog, and well developed characters. The running gag about ale is definitely worth a chuckle. The use of mature adults instead of teeny-boppers is a welcome change of pace.

Excellent book!
Jan 10, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi, romance
This is a book that has been on my to-read shelf for a really long time. So long, that I decided that I was finally going to get around to reading it. I have to say, I think I built this book up to be more than it was. I was a little disappointed in the world building. I think I'll give another in this series a chance but not anytime soon.
MB (What she read)
7/12/16 2.5 stars:

Silly, but enjoyable. The world building is completely and entirely hand-waved away, and the heroine seems to either be fatally naive or have a subliminal death wish, but this is enjoyable enough if that kind of thing doesn't drive you bats.
Feb 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
A little slow in spots, but a nice romance and fun sci-fi story. I was a little put off by his attitides towards intimacy. I can't put my finger on why, but it was mostly his cavalier attitude about sex. It didn't endear him to me very much.
Oct 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A great and believable space story. I have to read the next one now. Up, up and away.... ;-)
Oct 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Good story. It was slow to start but happy with the ending.
Sep 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book is exactly what it looks like: junk food for the brain. As junk food goes, it was top tier - a 3-scoop banana split with a ton of whipped cream. MMMMMMMM yummy! :)
Apr 27, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2010, sci-fi-rom
3.5* An enjoyable book, but with average plotting and characterization. The romance was steamy and well-written. I'll definitely read the next one in the series.
  • Unmasked (UN-Forgettable, #4)
  • The Power of Two (2176 Series, #4)
  • Shades of Dark (Dock Five Universe, #2)
  • Day of Fire (2176 Series, #2)
  • Close Encounters (Alien Affairs, #1)
  • The Challenge (Rystani #1)
  • Heart Thief (Celta's Heartmates, #2)
  • The Shadow Runners (2176 Series, #3)
  • An Accidental Goddess
  • Shielder (Shielder, #1)
When NY Times/USA Today bestselling author and Air Force veteran Susan Grant isn’t driving an 18-wheeler (a 747 jumbo jet) she loves writing romantic, action-packed stories featuring gutsy woman and honorable men. Flying to exotic places and trying every kind of food imaginable helps Susan bring her sci-fi worlds alive for readers. She is a winner of the prestigious RITA award for her book Contact ...more
More about Susan Grant...

Star (4 books)
  • Star Prince (Star, #2)
  • Star Rogue (Star, #3)
  • Star Champion: The Champion of Barésh (Star, #4)

Romance Deals

• Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick #2)
    $4.99 $2
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Spiraled (Callahan & McLane #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Bailey (Ace Security #3)
  • The Girl in Times Square: A Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Daring Arrangement (The Four Hundred, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Return to Homecoming Ranch (Pine River Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up Book 1)
    $3.99 $2
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • The Third Wish: A Novella
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Walking on Her Grave (Rogue River, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Repressed (Deadly Secrets, #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Beautiful Broken Promises (Broken #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Chosen (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #15)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • From Sand and Ash
  • Dreamology
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keepers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Out of Control (Troubleshooters, #4)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
  • The Devil's Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Chilled (Bone Secrets, #2)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Curse Keepers (The Curse Keepers #1)
  • Love, Chloe
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Bearly in Control (Shifters Undercover, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
  • Sheltering Rain
    $9.49 $1.99
  • She Can Scream (She Can Series, Book 3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Fashionable Indulgence (Society of Gentlemen, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fraternize (Players Game, #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Buried (Bone Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Beautiful Broken Mess (Broken #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • One More Night (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
“Take me,” she said. “I’m yours.” Beela” 0 likes
“Several cast furtive welcoming glances in Jas’s direction, pricking her curiosity. Had she not known better, she might have thought they were expecting her. Beela” 0 likes