Start by marking “Georgie” as Want to Read:
Georgie

Georgie

(Georgie the Ghost #1)

In Georgie, readers are introduced to the gentle little ghost, who happily haunts Mr. and Mrs. Whittaker's house -- creaking the loose board on the stairs and giving the parlor door a little squeak every night -- until his world is turned topsy-turvy and he must find a new house to haunt.
Published 1959 by Children's Book-of-the-Month Club (first published 1944)

To ask other readers questions about Georgie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Georgie

Kathryn
Full of old-fashioned, cozy, Halloween-y wonderfulness! The illustrations remind me so much of Shepherd's for "Whinnie the Pooh" (I think the kitty is a relative of Tigger!) This is a story of sweet ghosts who have a happy and gentle purpose in houses; and of one ghost in particular who is temporarily displaced. First published in 1944.

The "About Georgie and Robert Bright" bio on the back flap is great and I reprint it here in case others are not lucky enough to have the dust jacket on their co
Lisa Vegan
May 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lisa by: Abigail A.
This is a very sweet and funny story. Georgie is a friendly and helpful ghost (he reminded me of Casper the Friendly Ghost) who lives in a house where the creaking stair board & door give him the chance to be helpful.

I loved that when Georgie has to (temporarily ) go out in the world, the only house in the area without a ghost was the very scary looking house. That was extremely amusing. Also cute was the welcome mat (with cat and with owl nearby) waiting for Georgie on his return.

I loved th
Abigail
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Picture-Book Readers Who Enjoy Gentle Ghost Stories
Shelves: picture-books, ghosts
In a quiet New England village, in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Whittaker, a friendly little ghost named Georgie knew exactly what to do and when to do it. Every night, at the exact same time, he creaked the loose step on the staircase, and squeaked the parlor door, alerting the Whittakers to the fact that it was time to go to bed, Herman the cat that it was time to start his evening prowl, and Miss Oliver the owl that it was time to wake up. But when Mr. Whittaker nails down the loose step, and oil ...more
Kirsten Weiss
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I remember ordering this from Scholastic when I was a kid. I loved the Georgie stories, and was always bouncing with anticipation for that month's book order to come in. Ah... the good old days. And quite possibly the beginning of my interest in the paranormal. Lovely.
Teri-K
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book delighted me, then my kids, and now my grandkids. Good fun.
LittleDeadRedGoddessPersephone
Jun 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-books
Now, let me start by saying my goal is to dig up all the books I read as a child as well as new books this year. Georgie always held a special place in my heart so I decided to meet Georgie again. He is as sweet as ever and the stories are as wonderful as ever. I plan to buy them bit by bit. My mom loved reading these tales and I grew to love them even as an adult. You can't get much better than Georgie.

Should I be counting such a short book in my goal? Perhaps not but for one I have reached my
Katie
May 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-lit
I've loved this book since I was a little girl, and we still read it with our kids at Halloween.

My sister was convinced that Georgie lived in our floor radiators, and used to talk to him through them! :-)

Charming illustrations and story!
Barbara Brien
Aug 13, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm pretty sure I read this as a young person.
Jeff
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got the Spanish version and the illustrations were great. The bad thing is I had no idea what was happening in the book but oh well.
Betsy
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
entertaining
Madison
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of my most iconic childhood reads!
J.
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
One of my all time favorite stories from my childhood about a sweet little ghost who tries to find a new house to haunt when the people living in his fix the creaky steps and squeaky doors.
MarineCAT
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Georgie is a friendly ghost that lives at a home. This is good story that is coming to eighty years old. The illustrations are interesting, and it delivers a sense that you feel how old this story is. This is a fun story to read and have in your library.
Amanda Bria
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Georgie the Ghost is a delightful children's book that is unfortunately largely unknown and forgotten. I adored these books as a kid. They still hold a place of honor on my shelves. I recommend seeking these books out and reading them to your children. I'm sure they will love Georgie as much as I did.
Selina Kyle
Aug 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read this when I was in first grade. My mother read it in third grade. It became a tradition to borrow this book and its sequels from the library at my elementary school, and we'd read them as the leaves outside turned colors and dropped to the yard.

Georgie is sort of like Casper's predecessor, only more adorable, and without a group of abusive uncles-slash-older ghosts. The plot is simple because, uh, it's a children's book, guys. But it's utterly charming. Robert Bright wrote this in the 194
Nashiea Edmiston
Just adored this little blue book. Written in Spanish, Jorgito (George), was about a little ghost who thoroughly enjoyed his routine of walking down the creaking stairs and hearing the squeak of the door each time he entered the living room. All of Jorgitos' routines helped queue the people and animals around Jorgito to let them know that they had to do something to do at that time, just like an alarm would. This little ghost is so sad when Mr Whittaker decides to oil all the creaky, squeaky thi ...more
Peter D. Sieruta
Nov 18, 2010 rated it liked it
Monica Edinger responded to a blog I wrote about Halloween stories, recommending this picture book series about a ghost. I immediately read all eight "Georgie" books in my library and found him a fun character (which came first -- Georgie or Casper?) though the individual narratives were uneven in both storyline and writing. It's interesting to watch how the rather messy original illustrations -- all in blue! -- evolve to add other colors as the books progress over the years.
P.
Sep 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jfic, horror-y
Georgie!!!! I had forgotten about you and your plight,and your crazy chosen family: the couple who only knows to go to bed when the door creaks, and the cat who only knows to hunt when something else happens, etc. This is also how we know that cows are no fun to haunt, as a ghost. ghost advice via ghost memoir. brilliant illustrations.
Alice
Aug 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-75-stars
3.75 stars I have never read this story. It is copyrighted 1944 (a smidgen before my time) I love the blue and white hues, it just works. Sometimes the boring monotone books are so blah, but this has enough details without being to much. Like it said it just works!

Isn't it nice to have friendly ghosts in your house!!
Teri
Sep 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is a little treasure. I had found the "Georgie" books on favorite children Halloween books lists. I was intrigued. This book is numero uno in the series. The illustrations are very simple, but my daughter has enjoyed them so far.
Tracy
Nov 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-the-children
Sweet and charming little story. I purchased multiple copies of this book many years ago along with the story on cassette for my listening center. Wonderful images come from the orchestra, voices, and sounds of this nostalgic story.
Dahl Kids
Feb 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
We LOVE Georgie! I remember these from childhood and he is just as lovable as ever. These are the perfect Halloween books for young children. Not scary, but adventurous and sweet.
Joy
Oct 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Loved this book as a little girl and now my son is a fan of Georgie too! This is such a sweet story about a little ghost searching for the perfect home, which turns out to be right where he started.
Cat
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love the Georgie books! I used to read them to my daughter when she was little. She loved them, too. Nice for little ones, not scary at all.
Judy
Jan 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: holiday-a-k
I didn't grow up with this story, but since it's a friendly ghost, I might have liked it ... I'll read it to a child and watch his response.
Tiffany
Oct 21, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s
Ugh. Too wordy for the target audience.
Sarah Walsh
Aug 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read this (my old copy) to my son tonight. He loved it! Such a cute story about a friendly ghost. Perfect for the beginning of Fall.
Mercy
Sep 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebook
Classic
Matt Bradley
Oct 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-kids-books
My 5-year-old son has just recently discovered Georgie. The ghost has quickly become one of my son's favorite fictional characters, and we relive Georgie's adventures almost every night.
What's the Name o...: Children's Picture Book Ghost Story [s] 3 42 Oct 06, 2011 04:28PM

• The Witch Next Door
  • The Littlest Pumpkin
  • Moon Man
  • The Halloween Play
  • The Duchess Bakes a Cake
Robert Bright was born on Cape Cod, Massachusetts in 1902 and passed away in San Francisco in 1988. He spent his childhood in Europe and completed his education at Phillips Academy, Andover, and Princeton University.

His vocations included those of newspaper reporter in Baltimore and Paris, art and music critic in Sante Fe, New Mexico, teacher in Boston, and novelist. Believing that "the imaginativ

Georgie the Ghost (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Georgie to the Rescue