Start by marking “Clear the Bridge!: The War Patrols of the U.S.S. Tang” as Want to Read:
Clear the Bridge!: The War Patrols of the U.S.S. Tang

Clear the Bridge!: The War Patrols of the U.S.S. Tang

4.38  ·  Rating details ·  336 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Tang carried the war to the enemy with unparalleled ferocity. This is her story as told by her skipper.
Published December 17th 1996 by Presidio Press (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Clear the Bridge!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clear the Bridge!

Marijan
preopširno, prerazvučeno. na žalost.
Jason , etc.
Jan 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
People come up to me all the time and ask, "M'Lord, why do you read books about WWII submarine warfare written by people who commanded submarines during WWII?" My response is that I read such books because there's nothing in the fiction genre (excepting perhaps The Hunt for Red October or Run Silent, Run Deep) that packs a wallop equal to the exploits of extraordinary people living in extraordinary times and doing extraordinary things. Submarine warfare and those who were involved in its executi ...more
John Nevola
Sep 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
There have been a number of books written by submarine captains about their specific boats during World War II. "Clear The Bridge" is among the best. Written by Rear Admiral Richard. H. O'Kane some thirty years after the war, it is a rollicking and compelling story about one of the elite boats of the submarine service.

The book is not only among the best books; the U.S.S. Tang was among the best submarines deployed in the Pacific. First of all, the book is well written. Most importantly, the subm
Nooilforpacifists
Mordy
Aug 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent, just amazing! I couldn't put it down.
Manray9
Jan 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
The U.S. Submarine Service broke the back of the Japanese Empire and "Killer" O'Kane was America's most accomplished submariner. Strong four-star material.
Wanda
May 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read this based on a recommendation from a submariner off the USS Chicago I chatted with at the Horse and Cow in Tamuning. Fortunately, I found a copy at the book exchange in the medical library up the hill.
When I saw that it was 480 pages long and written by an admiral, I thought gawd this is going to be a long, slow slog. But it wasn't. It surely wasn't. I enjoy practical details of lives and jobs, skills and professions, and this book is full of all that. Now I can conceive of just what it
Scott
Dec 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Best account of submarine operations during WWII. Starts with account of O'Kane as XO with a CO who was reluctant to "take the fight to the enemy." Interesting how he balanced his obligation to support his skipper with a crew that rapidly began doubting his ability to command. Goes on to describe his following war patrols as skipper of famous USS TANG. Exciting and technically accurate. I am a nuclear submariner. Not sure I would have had the guts to do the kinds of extended combat these brave m ...more
Al
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pretty good read. I'd always thought that submarines made their attack from underwater so I learned something new. What luck though! Five dangerous patrols and then things went haywire with the very last torpedo in Japanese waters. It's a wonder anyone survived. Highly recommended.
Scott
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
A classic on the Submarine warfare in the Pacific. The book does go into great detail on how an individual sub operated in the War Zone and how it attacked various enemy ships.

A great read and a book I can read over and over.
David L. Porter
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome story!

This is by far one of the best WW II books about submarine warfare that has ever been written. The story about the USS Tang are legendary.
Scott Foshee
Fascinating Tribute to the Silent Service, Very Detailed, Understandable, and Well Written

I bought this book at the National WWII museum in New Orleans after I did the USS Tang experience, which makes you part of an interactive experience reenacting the Tang's last war patrol. You get a card before you go in identifying you as one of the actual crew members, doing his job during an attack and seeing at the end if you were lost at sea or rescued. My crew member, along with most others, didn't mak
Jeff Wombold
Jun 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
With each chapter I read I pictured myself on board; being a qualified submariner I can relate to some of the experiences were being talked about. Although I was only in the Cold War a lot of the experiences are the same. I finally understand the term "Flood negative and Blow negative to the Mark"; I hear these all the time in Movies, but never really understood what it was. I sort of wish I had a chance to serve on a diesel boat.
7$MartyQ
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When Hell Was In Session

Dudley "Mush" Morton's protege Dick O'Kane learned the finer points of his trade from probably the most daring submarine skipper of WWII, and were it not for a faulty torpedo, would have probably been the highest scoring boat of the war. One of only a very few men to be awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor and remain alive, he was one of the Greatest of "The Greatest Generation".
Ryan
Jun 16, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Straightforward and unsentimental. Sort of a beefed-up patrol report put in language that can be understood by non-submariners. It doesn't give you much of a sense of what it was like to do a war patrol, or how O'Kane felt or thought or made decisions; it's almost purely narrative. Even knowing TANG's fate, I was surprised and saddened by the abruptness of the ending.
Rick
Oct 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was an excellent book. I had first read it 20 or 30 years ago. He had graduated from Phillips Academy in 1930 and I first heard about him when the alumnae magazine published a list of WWII heros and mentioned his book.

There are many lessons within the book about leadership. It does remind us all how sad and ultimately stupid wars are.
Dan
Jan 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Excelent follow-up to Wahoo. Dick O'Kane gets his own boat. Exciting battles but a good dose of humor as well. It always amazes me how light-hearted these men were considering the dangerous task they were given. O'Kane was a real man, confident yet humble, tough yet protective of his crew. Where are our Dick O'Kanes today?
Brad
Jan 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
An exceptional and engaging account of an American submarine crew during WWII. The story of survival is harrowing and awe inspiring.

I read the complete book on a flight from Denver to London for a business trip.
Rick Wong
Oct 02, 2007 rated it really liked it
Dick O Kane, probably would have been the greatest sub capt in the US Navy if it weren't for the faulty torpedo. That he survived is amazing. This book is like a been there; done that, but it's never boring.
Carolyn
Jun 26, 2013 rated it did not like it
Did not care for this book at all as it had way too many statistics. Had to skim over many parts.
John
Jan 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
incredible autobiographical account of very successful WWII U.S. submarine captain. Reads like fiction....
Jesse Callaghan
Mar 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another submarine autobiography, perhaps the best by an American skipper.
Charles Nettleman,
Jun 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book! This book isn't just a war narrative, but one of the best thrillers I've read all year.
Ian Chapman
Apr 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and well written. Captain O'Kane, son of a college professor, is an example of the great East Coast Irish-American families towards their best.
Nathaniel Walden
Jan 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Exciting, well written and full of history. What more could you want?
Jon Coker
Dec 27, 2012 rated it liked it
One of the best Pacific war accounts by a likeable war hero.
Kirk
Jan 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: general-history
Occasionly difficult to read do to sub jargon. However,
interesting read, especially having experienced "Final Mission" at the National WW2
Museum in New Orleans.
Kevin Seufert
Oct 10, 2015
Paul J. Petersen
Apr 11, 2017
Hal
Nov 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Thunder Below!: The USS *Barb* Revolutionizes Submarine Warfare in World War II
  • Submarine!
  • Silent Running
  • Silent Victory: The U.S. Submarine War Against Japan
  • Nimitz
  • Big Red: Three Months On Board a Trident Nuclear Submarine
  • Iron Coffins: A Personal Account of the German U-boat Battles of World War II
  • Torpedo Junction: U-Boat War Off America's East Coast, 1942
  • Operation Drumbeat: Germany's U-Boat Attacks Along the American Coast in World War II
  • Sailors to the End: The Deadly Fire on the USS Forrestal and the Heroes Who Fought It
  • The Terrible Hours: The Greatest Submarine Rescue in History
  • A Dawn Like Thunder: The True Story of Torpedo Squadron Eight
  • Escape from the Deep: The Epic Story of a  Legendary Submarine and her Courageous Crew
  • The Bravest Man: Richard O'Kane and the Amazing Submarine Adventures of the USS Tang
  • Fortress Rabaul: The Battle for the Southwest Pacific, January 1942-April 1943 (Rabaul Trilogy, #2)
  • Memoirs: Ten Years and Twenty Days
  • Rommel: The Desert Fox
  • Rising Tide: The Untold Story Of The Russian Submarines That Fought The Cold War
Rear Admiral Richard Hetherington “Dick” O'Kane was a United States Navy submarine commander in World War II, who received a Medal of Honor for his service on the Tang.

He also served on the Wahoo, as executive officer and approach officer. He participated in more successful attacks on Japanese shipping than any other submarine officer during the war.
More about Richard H. O'Kane...
“We all learned to think before we spoke and to limit what we said to the problem at hand.” 0 likes