Start by marking “Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #5)” as Want to Read:
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #5)

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

(Star Trek: The Original Series)

On the planet Nimbus III, a harsh world deep in the neutral zone, the three major powers-- Federation, Klingon, and Romulan-- attempt a revolutionary cooperative program, jointly developing the planet as an experiment in peace. But that makes Nimbus III an irresistible target for terrorists, who seize control of the planet, and the Enterprise is sent on a daring mission of ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 311 pages
Published June 1989 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about Star Trek V, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Trek V

Start your review of Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #5)
Scott
Feb 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Here it is, the novelization of the worst-received Star Trek movie of all of them. I've always liked the movie and thought it got a raw deal with critics and fans, though it's far from their greatest. This book, though, has really made the story of the film more fully realized and deep. There is so much additional content that enhances the characters and motivations that the movie only hinted at. To gain a deeper appreciation for Shatner's vision of "Star Trek V," every Trekkie should read this ...more
Mike Crate
Sep 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, scifi, star-trek
Ok then the movie is generally regarded as one of the failures of the Star Trek franchise but I don't hate it and there are some truly wonderful character moments in the story. This novelisation as you would expect gives us everything that is good about STV but adds so much more garnish to the story that you come away wondering what the studio were doing when setting the budget which limited to what they could do on screen.
The background to Sybok as a child and how the events with his mother
Heather Domin
Apr 23, 2011 rated it liked it
In my experience a strong novelization can do wonders for a weak movie; it's one of the reasons I love novelizations so much. Since I like Dillard's Trek books, I thought she'd be a good candidate to do the trick for the weakest TOS movie. I was right. While I still don't care for the story, working it into a novel definitely improved it for me. The minor characters were fleshed out into real people with back-stories and personalities, which I always enjoy; being able to tune in to people's ...more
Jerry
Mar 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Yet another novelization that was better than the film that inspired it.
Vikas Datta
Nov 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fantastic outing with the Enterprise crew and most heartening is the ending, with the pattern of redemption - and reconciliation of a sort
Tommy Verhaegen
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, paper_en
Again we get a deeper look into the psyche and backgrounds of our main TOS crew. Action, tension, space travel, kidnappings... with a positive feel and an unexpected twist at the end.
Definately a winner!
Alcohol plays a big part and up to now the poco's haven't censored it yet.
5 major locations: Earth, Vulcan, Nimbus III, space and the center of the galaxy.
Terrans, Vulcans, Romulans, Klingon and a new, terrifying and hostile creature.
Charles
Sep 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I thought Dillard did an admirable job with this mixed bag tale. She got the characters right and got in all the zingers and good one liners from the movie. However, the movie plot itself is quite a bit of a mess and there was nothing Dillard could do about that. This is probably my least favorite of the Star Trek Original series movies, and the book can't rise above those weaknesses. I don't hold it against the author, though. This is on Hollywood.
Rob
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was good and filled in a little more background as to what was going on in Spock's head but I think the movie was better. I would rather have a lot more details than less and some parts in the movie were not in the book , I found myself waiting for parts that weren't there. I guess I expect more from the book not the other way around but in all fairness this was a good read.
Crystal
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-trek
An incredible novel that I could not put down. As is typical of the Star Trek genre, the various social messages contained throughout the novel compared with a science fiction theme make for some great thinking sessions for modern times...Additionally, reading about the various antics and adventures of our old friends is like visiting family.
Paxton Holley
Jan 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Pretty good adaptation with some extra scenes and background to some characters.
Ian
Jan 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This and other J. M. Dillard books reviewed here: https://fsfh-book-review2.webnode.com...
Lois
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well, I'm the one person on the planet who likes this movie, but not so much the audiobook - it is far too abridged for my liking.
Lee Goldin
Jul 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
I've never read a movie novelization in my life so you may be wondering why I started with an adaptation of one of the most reviled films in history. Quite simply because I've always been intrigued by what a missed opportunity Star Trek V: The Final Frontier was. The movie has a lot of heart and some intriguing ideas but unfortunately the script is a mess and the special effects are essentially unwatchable, especially by today's standards. And while everyone blames director William Shatner for ...more
Joseph
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm not a big fan of the clichéd assertion that "the book is always better," but in this case it is thankfully true. Dillard's writing makes up and corrects for just about all of the source movie's copious flaws. I was also impressed by the many subtle references to earlier novelizations, which made this book feel like it belonged with them. Though perhaps not quite up to Vonda McIntyre's work on previous installments, it manages a very close second, and stands alongside them as a quality novel ...more
Robert Lent
May 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was much better than the movie. I admit that doesn't take much. But the movie could have been a lot better. There was silliness in the movie like putting horns on horses to make them alien, and Kirk saying "use the horse", a pun on "use the force". In the movie, it just isn't convincing how Sybok was able to influence people, the book makes it much more convincing. Maybe you have to be a hardcore Trek fan to want to read a novelization of Star Trek V, but I think you will appreciate the ...more
J.W. Braun
Jul 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book much more than the novelizations of Star Trek's II, III, and IV by Vonda McIntyre. Like McIntyre, Dillard adds some of his own stuff to the story he was given by the screenplay writers. Unlike McIntyre, Dillard's stuff added greatly to my enjoyment of the book. In fact, I think Dillard took a film that is somewhat lacking and turned it into a great story! I really enjoyed this book.
Emily Petit
Jul 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is a great alternative to the actual film, directed by - guess who? - William Shatner himself. It brings the cinemetographical humor to life in a stimulating, imaginative way. Jokes that would never have worked for the original film work very well here. If, like the majority of dedicated Trekkies, you didn't take to Shatner's movie, read this book. You'll actually laugh. Because this one? Why, this is funny.
Keith
May 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Better than the movie even though this is just a novelization of that film. It proves that in concept, The Final Frontier probably looked good on paper, but in execution it turned out to be a major onscreen disappointment.
Jim Neville
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Much better than the movie. There are references in the movie which make no sense whatsoever unless you've read the book. A must read for Star Trek fans, but if you want a book about "The Search for God," there are much better books. Not bad, though.
Mrklingon
Jun 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Adventure Improved! The right way to see this movie....

I always enjoy the novelizations of the Trek movies - often they are the better version, certainly the case here. Dillard does a good job tightening up the story, polishing off the characters and blurring the rough parts.

Wendy
Oct 07, 2011 rated it liked it
This was better than the movie.

I know, that isn't saying much, is it? But really, it adds so much background and explanation that it actually makes the ridiculous plot kind of believable and interesting. It's very worth a read, simply because it salvages the movie.
Lucy
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-passed-on
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!

Probably my least favourite book of the Star Trek movie series so far. I did not like the movie that much and the book even less so.
Daniel Kukwa
Jun 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
The plot isn't dong J.M. Dillard any favours, but she certainly moves mountains in order to make this story readable and enjoyable as prose. Her masterful handling of Kirk, Spock, and McCoy helps to make this an especially solid novelization of the most notorious film in the Classic Trek canon.
Travis
Oct 16, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
Surprisingly, this made me enjoy the movie more as it filled in some of the gaps and took some weak bits and strengthened them.
Still, the weakest of the original Trek movies, but the book made me aware there was a good story there.
Lori
Sep 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
The book was better than the movie, although if you look at V as a spoof, it's pretty funny. A good read.
Yaaresse
Part of a delicious and nutritious classic sci-fi diet.
Tyler Replogle
Feb 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
The things you learn from these books. Spock has a half bro.
John Barclay
Aug 04, 2016 rated it liked it
OK, it's a dumb premise, but there are some fun things about it.
Kristina Brown
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-trek
A wonderful way to relive the movie. It answers questions such as 'how did they get through the Great Barrier?' and focuses very much on the unshakeable bond between Kirk, Spock and McCoy.
Elena
Feb 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really nice! I loved Spock's story.

• Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (Star Trek: The Original Series #33; Movie Novelization #4)
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #3)
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek: The Original Series #1; Movie Novelization #1)
  • Time for Yesterday (Star Trek: The Yesterday Saga, #2)
  • Federation
  • Sarek
  • Probe
  • Prime Directive (Star Trek: Worlds in Collision, #2)
  • Spock's World
  • Shadows on the Sun
  • Windows on a Lost World
  • Yesterday's Son (Star Trek: The Original Series #11; The Yesterday Saga, #1)
  • Q-In-Law (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #18)
  • Strangers from the Sky
  • Captain's Peril (Star Trek: Totality #1)
  • Doctor's Orders
  • The Final Nexus
J.M. Dillard is the pseudonym under which Jeanne Kalogridis (b. 1954) publishes her Star Trek novels.

Star Trek: The Original Series (1 - 10 of 113 books)
  • The Entropy Effect (Star Trek TOS #2)
  • The Klingon Gambit (Star Trek: The Original Series #3)
  • The Covenant of the Crown (Star Trek: The Original Series #4)
  • The Prometheus Design
  • The Abode of Life
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • Black Fire
  • Triangle (Star Trek: The Original Series #9)
  • Web of the Romulans (Star Trek: The Original Series #10)