Start by marking “Footprints in the Snow Footprints in the Snow Footprints in the Snow” as Want to Read:
Footprints in the Snow Footprints in the Snow Footprints in the Snow

Footprints in the Snow Footprints in the Snow Footprints in the Snow

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  69 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
In this landmark memoir, a renowned Buddhist master traces his spiritual journey against the panoramic story of China from the pre-Communist era to the present.
Master Sheng Yen has devoted muchof his life to spreading the teachings of Chinese Buddhism-a practice that antedates the more familiar Japanese and Tibetan traditions--throughout the world. He became known in the
Published October 21st 2008 by Doubleday Religion (first published October 14th 2008)

Be the first to ask a question about Footprints in the Snow Footprints in the Snow Footprints in the Snow

Kani
Aug 31, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a sweet man! Such a life of hardship and determination; very inspiring to get past the material desires and into what really matters. The sparse writing style was at first a bit dry and pedantic to me but as I continued reading I discovered that it fit the story. The simplicity of the chosen lifestyle of this monk reflects well in the rhythm of the writing. Even though he's lived such a long life in looking back on it he seems able to pull out some very particular memories that were markers ...more
Hyrum
Sep 11, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A friend of mine at work gave this to me to help explain Buddhism, but it was just a biography and has no real explanation of the religion. The book helped make me assume that he was writing it, but other people wrote it on his behalf and wrote it from the 1st person perspective.

The historical information and perspective was very interesting. That seems to be the most significant reason to read the book. As a result of the book, I have an overall negative impression of the religion and the man.
Mark Flanagan
Buddhist Master Sheng-Yen is one of the foremost teachers of Chan (Chinese predeccessor of Zen) Buddhism in the world. Now in his late seventies, the author of over 100 books and founder of Buddhist meditation centers in the United States and Taiwan tells his own story, recounting his travels and travails in a life singularly focused on spiritual devotion.

"Footprints in the Snow" is a simply told inspirational account of a man who has found in hardship the opportunities to strengthen and share
Jessica Lu
It is very inspiring to get to know his life story from a poor farming kid to a respected buddhism scholar and zen master. The temples he set up in Taiwan are the models with the "soul cleansing" methodology, as well as environmental friendly concept. He was a very humble man with a noble goal to spread the practical zen lessons to benefit people.

I did not have honor to meet him in person, but I will take the zen meditation lesson at one of his temple.
Jillpassage
The best part of the book is the first half as he describes his journey from rural China in a poor family to his growing commitment to the life of a monk. A few nuggets of wisdom about the importance of 'equanimity of mind.' Not exactly compelling.
Otto
May 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Journey of shengyan fa shi and the founder of drum dharma, he takes in the flow of flow capitalizing on every opportunity to learn and be a better master....
I have plan to visit drum dharma in taipei twd end of year
Steven
Jun 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great overview of Chan. The book lacks a certain amount of intensity, but it's very interesting.
Marsha Altman
Jun 24, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tibet
Eh. Interesting view of Taiwanese Buddhism and Chan philosophy, but he's not a great storyteller, which is essential to a good biography.
Kim
Oct 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel like this was the right book for the right moment. I'll be interested to read it in a year and the year after that to see how it affects me then.

Wonderful.
Sparrow Knight
May 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dharma, biography
Like sitting drinking tea while the master tells stories. Warm, encouraging, with scattered nuggets of wise advice & counsel.
Bode