Start by marking “Ramona the Brave (Ramona, #3)” as Want to Read:
Ramona the Brave (Ramona, #3)

Ramona the Brave

(Ramona Quimby #3)

Ramona tries her hardest to be brave and fearless, but now she has her own bedroom it's sometimes a little difficult to be brave - you never know what could be lurking under the bed.
Published November 9th 2000 by Oxford University Press (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Ramona the Brave, please sign up.
Ausha Mathews yes i read it in 1st grad and im in 5th and i still read it

Julie
I've had a copy of Beverly Cleary's Ramona the Brave somewhere in my house, regardless of where I've lived or how old my kids are, for 4 decades now, but I never had the audiobook, narrated by Stockard Channing.

I don't really “do” audiobooks (exceptions made by books narrated by Colin Firth or Ralph Fiennes), but I thought I'd shake up this classic and expose my girls to a different narrator.

I was saving it for a rainy day, but instead of rain, we had stormy weather in our car last week, a day w
Jane
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
The third book in the Ramona series finds Ramona starting first grade.
Before the start of school though Ramona is getting her own bedroom. I loved remembering my own fears, I had as a kid, of the dark.
At school are some wonderful moments with Susan, who still has her curls. Many characters are still present from earlier book's, like calm unexcitable Howie.
On the home front, her mom is working at a doctor's office, and Beezus's loves her teacher, he can do no wrong.
These book's are nostalgic f
ABC
Mar 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Beverly Cleary really knows the way kids think. She nails it on the head.

The million dollar question is: Did Susan really copy or was it just some sort of freaky coincidence? I often wondered this when I was a kid, but now rereading it I think Cleary implies that Susan probably did copy.

As a kid, I thought that Ramona must have grown up in an extremely tame household if she did not know any truly bad words. Still, it was pretty funny.

On another note, I think this book is where Cleary breaks away
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
I read this book so long ago, but I still remember Ramona being nervous and scared of spending the night alone by herself. Beverly Cleary made a character that was believable and easy to connect to despite all her flaws, this is a great series.
Kellyn Roth
Jun 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ah, the woes of a six-year-old! :)
Skylar Burris
Jul 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
I recall loving the Ramona books as a child (I think I was about 9 when I read them), but I really appreciated re-reading this one as an adult and as the mother of a child of my own. Beverly Cleary knows how to climb inside the head of a six-year-old girl, a six-year-old girl that in many way resembles my own six-year-old girl. Reading Ramona the Brave reminded me for a moment of what it’s like to be a child, of how dramatic little things seem, of how little adults seem to understand and appreci ...more
Lydia
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
it was better than the second one.
But it was okay.
But i`m actually not sure if it was better than the second or not ya know.............i don`t know.
Newly Wardell
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's still funny and utterly charming.
J.M. Hushour
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ramona Quimby, 1st grader supremo, doesn't need to worry about lockdowns, ISIS, or overly indulgent parents! Her greatest worry is the dog eating her shoe the next street over when she walks to school. Alone. You read that right.
I love these darn books. They're an invocation of a time when being a kid meant being afraid of oozing boneless gorillas instead of the brown people moving into your gated community and when it was okay to hate your sibling and everyone would have a good laugh about loca
Claudia
I have never read any of the RAMONA books...I checked the copyright and realized why...1975. Cleary started writing these when my first child was an infant and youngster...I missed them, and never read them to him. So, Ramona is a new treat.

I feel for Ramona...she looks at worksheets and over thinks all the answers. She builds stories from the scenarios, and then she chooses the 'wrong' answer, but she has elaborate reasons why her answer is right.

She values her creativity and feels deeply when
Sarah Nessler
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a quirky young girl Ramona is. She feels that no one understands her and that is why she gets into trouble. Full of imagination and wonder I am sure being in Ramona's world is kind of like Alice and Wonderland, quite a different world. There is nothing she can't do until she talks herself out of it. Now in first grade she regrets moving on because she is not as thrilled with her current teacher. Her kindergarten teacher understood her a lot more and was more sensitive to her needs. And as a ...more
Whitney
Aug 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cleary
This one breaks the heart a little. Ramona, no longer a pest, must contend with the challenges of being in 1st grade! She lives with her distracted, tired parents and disinterested older sister. Ramona still has a strong personality, and craves attention, and has very few ways to channel her creativity. Her over-active imagination is more of a hindrance than a gift, in the current environment.

Again, with all these Beverly Cleary books, it's really something to be transported to a domestic world
Blake
Dec 10, 2014 added it
“Ramona the Brave” by Beverly Cleary is a children’s novel and is the third book in the Ramona series. Ramona Quimby is the youngest in her family, and desperately wants to grow up. One day, Ramona decides to stick up for her older sister, Beatrice Quimby. A bunch of boys were picking on Beatrice and calling her names like “Beezus Jesus.” Ramona thought Beatrice would be happy that she stood up for her, but instead Beatrice was upset and embarrassed. She was more upset at Ramona for standing up ...more
Ciara
May 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2014
one of my favorite things about this book is the way it kind of shows its age with mrs. quimby's job. she starts working as a receptionist in a doctor's office to help pay for the new addition the quimbys have put on their house (a third bedroom so beezus & ramona don't have to share anymore). the girls are kind of dazzled by the idea of their mother working. beezus even says, "you're going to be a liberated woman." hahaha!

i also wonder if this book is the source of my life-long antipathy to
Taren
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ramona Quimby has just begun a new school year as a 1st grader. There are so many things to be nervous about when starting this new chapter of her life, but Ramona has decided she is going to show these challenges who's boss! From the scary noises she hears in her brand-new, all-her-own room to ferocious dog she encounters on her walk to school in the morning, Ramona conquers them all.

My 9 yr old daughter has fallen in love with the Ramona series, & I am falling back in love with them. My da
Chrissy
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read the Ramona books as a child, and rereading them now to my son, they still hold a special place in my heart. Cleary does a wonderful job of getting into the mindset of her intended audience, although for me, at least, I didn't pick up on just how talented a writer she was until now. The needs of Ramona and the desire she has for grownups to interact with her in specific ways really resonated with me and reminded me of my own child. Also, we could not believe the audacity of Susan. What a c ...more
Eileen W
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am attempting to read all Ramona books this summer with my girls, age 9 and 7. I remember liking them as a child, and they are still fun as an adult. This one has Ramona in 1st grade and did not disappoint!
Ericka Clouther
Ramona is now in first grade and 6 years old. This is a lot like #2, Ramona the Pest, except that Ramona is clearly more mature now. Ramona’s friendship with Howie has developed from book #2. I liked this one but not quite as much as #2.
Season Giles
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
My girls giggled and giggled in the chapter where Ramona says a bad word. Guts!
Cristi-Lael
Mar 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Re-read December 2015: This was adorable, as expected. Cleary really explains well how a child's mind works.
Allison Venezio
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ramona has a chance to show the world she's more than just a pest in the third book of her series.

"Ramona the Brave" begins during the summer after Kindergarten, in the weeks leading up to the beginning of first grade. Ramona knows she is no longer a "Kindergarten baby," and is determined to show she is so much more than Beezus's little sister, or even a little kid. In fact, she is determined to show her bravery in any situation, whether it be encountering an imaginary gorilla, the construction
Andrew
You gotta love Beverly Cleary!
She is one of the strongest and most inspirational juvenile fiction authors out there.
I knew I had to pick up another one of her books for the reading challenge this year, just because she perfectly knows how to convey the world through the eyes of a child

You gotta love Ramona! The nice part about the entire Ramona series is you can read the books out of sequence and its okay.
Ramona is also a great jumping off point for both kids at her age level and parents with
Marinda
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the third time I've read this book, and the first time reading it with my daughter. I'm grateful to Ramona for helping me understand how to teach the concept of being "brave" to my kindergartener. Many of the challenges that Ramona faces in this book are ones that my daughter has encountered over the past few months: schoolwork getting harder, grown-ups misunderstanding you, siblings and friends always having something that is somehow more or better than what you have. And, dogs! Dogs ca ...more
Tamara York
The perfect read aloud for my 6 and 8 year old. We are working our way through the series and loving every book. This was my favorite series as a young kid. I’m so glad to share it with my children. Cleary is a genius at capturing the essence of childhood with sparse yet perfect language. Highly recommend.
Holly Splawn
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beverly Clearly has made me cry again. She’s three for three at making me cry from a Ramona book. Ramona is so relatable. I can deeply empathize with her.
Julie
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beverly Cleary never disappoints. Also, Stockard Channing is a fantastic reader - loved listening to the audiobook with Nathan!
Alicia
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
The emotional complexity of the Ramona stories as she grows up are fantastic.
Kelly
Jul 30, 2017 added it
Shelves: read-in-2017
I so prefer the older editions with the original illustrations. The newer art just doesn't do much for me.

Amanda Harrison
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ok, so I really thought I hadn't read this one and I don't remember of it. And Yet. I played Ramona's game brick factory all. the. time. as a kid. I called it rock quarry. Is this a coincidence? .....so mysterious.
Laura (Book Scrounger)
Trying to get inside a first-grader's head is not easy -- explaining all those thoughts and actions that often manifest as simple "irrationality" to us adults -- but I thought Beverly Cleary did a good job of it here. I enjoy Ramona more as an older character, but this was still a funny and interesting story of her time adjusting to first grade, with its conflicts, fears, and bravery.

• Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great (Fudge, #2)
  • Anastasia Again! (Anastasia Krupnik, #2)
  • Ralph S. Mouse by Beverly Cleary: Teacher Guide (Novel Units)
  • Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's Magic (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #2)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • Henry & Ramona
  • The Great Brain at the Academy (Great Brain, #4)
  • Baby-Sitters Club Boxed Set #1 (The Baby-Sitters Club, #1-4)
  • How to Eat Fried Worms
  • "B" Is for Betsy
Beverly Cleary (born April 12, 1916) is the author of over 30 books for young adults and children. Her characters are normal children facing challenges that many of us face growing up, and her stories are liberally laced with humour. Some of her best known and loved characters are Ramona Quimby and her sister Beatrice ("Beezus"), Henry Huggins, and Ralph S. Mouse.

Beverly Cleary was born Beverly At

Ramona Quimby (8 books)
  • Beezus and Ramona (Ramona, #1)
  • Ramona the Pest (Ramona, #2)
  • Ramona and Her Father (Ramona, #4)
  • Ramona and Her Mother (Ramona, #5)
  • Ramona Quimby, Age 8 (Ramona, #6)
  • Ramona Forever (Ramona, #7)
  • Ramona's World (Ramona, #8)
“Love isn’t like a cup of sugar that gets used up,” 3 likes