Start by marking “Ramona and Her Father (Ramona, #4)” as Want to Read:
Ramona and Her Father (Ramona, #4)

Ramona and Her Father

(Ramona Quimby #4)

Ramona's father has lost his job and all the family are miserable, so Ramona decides to try and cheer them up, in her own inimitable way.
Published November 9th 2000 by Oxford University Press (first published 1977)

Ahmad Sharabiani
Ramona and Her Father (Ramona, #4), Beverly Cleary
Ramona and Her Father is the fourth book in Beverly Cleary's popular Ramona Quimby series. In this humorous children's novel, Mr. Quimby loses his job and Ramona thinks up ways to earn money and help her family out. Published in 1977, Ramona and Her Father was a Newbery Honor Book.
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: دهم ماه فوریه سال 2005 م
عنوان: رامونا و پدرش؛ نویسنده: بورلی کلی یری؛ مترجم: نورا حق پرست؛ تصویرگر: آلن تی یگرین؛ مشخصات نشر: تهرا
Kevin Fink
Jun 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 80s childhood nostalgics
Oh! I had hoped that this book would be as fun and lovely as I remembered. When I received it in my sweaty hands, I said, "Oh my. I remember this book as a lot thicker." But you know what? It was fun and lovely and nostalgic. I read it in one day, on two bus trips to work and back. Who can forget Nosmo King? And the crown of burrs? And Ramona wanting to be on television commercials so she can earn a million dollars and her father and family can be happy again? And the bittersweet Christmas endin ...more
Manybooks
Dec 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
While I have generally very much enjoyed Ramona and her Father and think that Beverly Clearly has painted and portrayed not only an enjoyably humorous, but also very much realistic portrait of middle class American childhood (not dwelling on the negatives, but at the same time, also not shying away from potential problems and issues, such as the trials and tribulations faced by the Quimby family when the father loses his job), I do tend to feel that the ending of Ramona and Her Father is a bit rushed and in ...more
Naksed
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This lady is a genius. That she can write compellingly about sad, virtually incomprehensible things to children, like unemployment, depression and addiction and make it totally appropriate and comprehensible for my third and fifth grader is TOTALLY AMAZING. And what's more, you don't feel like jumping off a bridge at the end because she offers you hope and faith, without being cheesy or preachy. My kidlets who have the attention span of a dog spotting a squirrel were both just in awe, quiet, wid ...more
Nadia
Oct 10, 2019 added it
Bedtime stories with my kiddos = reliving my childhood. I love Ramona's spunk. I learned about things like Sunday school. But I'm also discovering why I was so hungry for representation in children's books.

As a writer, I strive to tell the story that hasn't yet been told and hope it makes a reader feel heard and seen.
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
A parent losing a job is never an easy thing to deal with, but if you've read the series so far, you will know that Ramona despite her imperfections, tries to help and cheer people up, and it's hard to hate her for that even if she does become an annoyance sometimes. Ramona has matured nicely since the first book, but maintains her childish perspective as she is still what, 7 or 8 years old in this book?
Jane
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have always loved the fourth book in this series. Ramona And Her Father.
It begins with her father losing his job. Everything changes for the Quimby's. Suddenly her mother is working full time, and her father is taking care of the house, while looking for a job.
I loved how Ramona repeated commercials with kid's in them, hoping she could learn to be on tv, so she could make money for the family.
My favorite part is Ramona campaign to get her father to stop smoking.
This is a wonderful nex
Kelly
Jul 19, 2017 added it
Shelves: read-in-2017
Still holds up really well -- especially about the tightening of budgets and giving up of frills when a job loss happens. I love how squarely lower middle class the family is. Dad's new job is bagging groceries, while mom works at a doctor's office as a secretary. Going out for dinner is a huge deal to them. And the entire subplot with dad giving up smoking is a thing that I remember reading as a kid, and now, as an adult, can't really recall in books I've read for young readers in years.

I thin
Kellyn Roth
Ramona is really the sweetest. I mean, don't get me wrong ... she's a pain, too! ... but she's also a sweetheart. :)
Susann
Mar 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Having a sister who tried to act like the Virgin Mary was not easy for a girl who felt as Ramona did."
Reread for VSC.

03-15-2008
"Ramona made up her mind, right then and there in the middle of arithmetic, that she was going to save her father's life."

Ramona, c'est moi. I first read this in 1980, maybe 1981, and should have been awestruck that Cleary had put pen to paper and come up with me. How did she know my 7-year-old self so well? But no, I took Ramona for granted and
Arielle Walker
Nov 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
Came across my 2003 school reading log, so figured I should enter these books in too. In the words of my ten-year-old self, this book was: "Really good, pretty easy"
J.M. Hushour
Apr 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be, sure, but re-reading Cleary (sadly, probably for the last time since the grandchildren will probably have amorphic and ghastly "sense-lit-creme" that they rub onto the plugnubs under their jaws, absorbing the classics without ever having to shift their obese, glassy stare from the orange bawling dia-tribals of Emperor Trump (Rectified)), sure makes one miss one's childhood.
Ramona, who'd probably be diagnosed ADD and on a slew of medications by age seven,
Dolly
Jan 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We started reading the series of books starring Ramona Quimby, Beezus, Henry and their friends a few years ago, but we never made too much progress. We intended to read more, but we always chose something else.

Our youngest was given the book Ramona the Pest (Ramona Quimby to read by her second grade teacher to practice her reading comprehension and I thought we'd give the series another try. We recently listened to Ramona and Her Mother

This book brings a sense of nostalgia to me, a reminder of my childho
steph
"You know something?" said Mr. Quimby. "I don't care how much that kid or any other kid earns. I wouldn't trade you for a million dollars."
...
Mr. Quimby continued his careful snipping. "I'll bet that boy's father wishes he had a little girl who finger-painted and wiped her hands on the cat when she was little and who once cut her own hair so she would be bald like her uncle and who then grew up to be seven years old and crowned herself with burs. Not every father is lucky enough to h
Lori
Mar 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I remember this book so well- partly because I went on a campaign to try to get my dad to stop smoking just as Ramona had after I read this book. My campaign was unfortunately, not as successful as Ramona's. Still, this remains one of my favorite books from childhood. I love the part in which Ramona tells her teacher that her pantyhose are wrinkled like an elephant's skin. So funny. Cleary has an uncanny ability to remember and describe children's feelings- without being condescending or phony. ...more
Holly Splawn
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The last chapter is about the church Christmas play and it is so sweet. We love Ramona.
Mary
Aug 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book so much. This is the book where Ramona really starts to get to know herself. I love the way her father's character is developed and the way Cleary relates the experience of being worried about money without beating the reader over the head with it.

I still have the copy of this book that I read as a kid and it was so wonderful to get back to the RIGHT illustrations. Ramona reminds me more of myself at that age when she looks like her plain, mousey little self. I swear I had that
Anna
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
It has been a long time since I read a Ramona book. This was fairly cute and felt relevant despite the difference in time period, I think kids feelings about things remain much the same.
Popsugar 2018: a book set in the decade you were born.
Nathan Sizemore
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
94/100

Man, I love Beverly Cleary's stuff so much. I feel like she needs to be recognized as an amazing writer not only for children but for all readers. Few other authors have moved me as much with their power of observation.
Heather
May 29, 2008 rated it liked it
I'm reading this to the girls and we're having a good time. They are FREAKING out that the dad smokes. It was published in 75, and I'm trying to explain that things were a bit different back when I was a kid.
Steve Shilstone
Dec 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Beverly Cleary has a very fine grasp indeed on kid think.
Francesca
Apr 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
My children continue to be thrilled with Ramona, even though she's having to deal with some heavier issues as her father goes through an extended bout of unemployment.
Crystal Hart
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s, own, favorites
Yep. I still love these as much as I did when I was a kid. And the story has held up well!
Maureen Lubitz
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Originally posted on You Have Your Hands Full

My girls and I actually listened to Ramona and Her Father last summer, but I never got around to writing the review. This is the fourth book in Beverly Cleary’s Ramona Quimby series.

In this book, Ramona is still struggling to find her place in the world and in her family. Things are somewhat complicated because her father has recently lost his job. They are already on a budget, and now they must become even more frugal.

This book is somewhat dat
Carrie ReadingtoKnow
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another great read aloud with the kids who asked for another Ramona book to read to them. :) I'm always happy to oblige!
Talia
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I listened to this in the car with the kids, and WOW, the memories! Yeap! The can stilts! Sheep costume! Baggy stocking ankles! When we got to the part with the crown of burrs, I actually said "OMG" out loud!
Both of my kids really took to the anti-smoking part of the book; my 5yo still asks if smoking will turn your lungs black (we have in-laws that smoke).
Havebooks Willread
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Such a fun summer series! We're all enjoying it, even as we aren't reading it in order and that drives me a little crazy.
Lindsay Wilcox
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hn
I just love Ramona’s relationship with her dad and his sense of humor. My kids liked Ramona’s capers to help him stop smoking.
Christine
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first Ramona novel. It was pretty fun.
Emily T
Dec 23, 2017 rated it liked it
I read this in a day. It was a pretty quick read and I recommend grades four and up. But, it was very good!!
Children's Books: December 2015 - Ramona and Her Father 19 68 Dec 30, 2015 08:02AM

• Anastasia at Your Service (Anastasia Krupnik, #3)
  • Annie and the Old One
  • Like Jake and Me
  • The Middle Moffat (The Moffats, #2)
  • The Noonday Friends
  • All Alone
  • All Sail Set: A Romance of the Flying Cloud
  • One-Eyed Cat
  • Hurry Home, Candy
  • Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great (Fudge, #2)
  • Philip Hall Likes Me. I Reckon Maybe. (Beth Lambert, #1)
  • Ralph S. Mouse by Beverly Cleary: Teacher Guide (Novel Units)
Beverly Cleary (born April 12, 1916) is the author of over 30 books for young adults and children. Her characters are normal children facing challenges that many of us face growing up, and her stories are liberally laced with humour. Some of her best known and loved characters are Ramona Quimby and her sister Beatrice ("Beezus"), Henry Huggins, and Ralph S. Mouse.

Beverly Cleary was bor

Ramona Quimby (8 books)
  • Beezus and Ramona (Ramona, #1)
  • Ramona the Pest (Ramona, #2)
  • Ramona the Brave (Ramona, #3)
  • Ramona and Her Mother (Ramona, #5)
  • Ramona Quimby, Age 8 (Ramona, #6)
  • Ramona Forever (Ramona, #7)
  • Ramona's World (Ramona, #8)
“most beautiful, magic time of the whole year. Her parents loved her, and she loved them,” 4 likes
“Say, who is this Mr. King?” “What Mr. King?” asked Ramona, walking into his trap. “Nosmo King,” 2 likes