Start by marking “Ramona Quimby, Age 8 (Ramona Quimby #6)” as Want to Read:
Ramona Quimby, Age 8 (Ramona Quimby #6)

Ramona Quimby, Age 8

(Ramona Quimby #6)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  65,840 ratings  ·  1,409 reviews
In this special reissue of Ramona Quimby, Age 8, the timeless classic now features a special foreword written by actress, producer, and author Amy Poehler, as well as an exclusive interview with Beverly Cleary herself.

Ramona likes that she’s old enough to be counted on, but must everything depend on her? Mrs. Quimby has gone back to work so that Mr. Quimby can re
Published January 26th 1992 by HarperTrophy (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Ramona Quimby, Age 8, please sign up.
Alissa A more important question is: How did Ramona transport said raw egg to school without it smashing in her lunch? Because she's not the most careful or…moreA more important question is: How did Ramona transport said raw egg to school without it smashing in her lunch? Because she's not the most careful or delicate kid.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Sophie Crane I Love It As Well, I've Got The Entire Series.

·  65,840 ratings  ·  1,409 reviews

Duane
I may never have read this excellent children’s book had I not read an article in “Business Insider” magazine titled, “the most famous authors from each state”. It also listed their best known book. I like to scan these types of lists out of curiosity, and to find books that I may want to read. Now I didn’t agree with their picks for most famous author in every instance; for example, in Nebraska they chose Nicholas Sparks. While I admit he is well known, and I have even read and liked several of his bo ...more
Julie
It's 1981 and Ramona Quimby is 8-years-old.

She's in the 3rd grade at a new school. . .
and she still doesn't have her own bike.

She's also stuck in after school care with the cold Mrs. Kemp and the annoying Willa Jean. Her older sister's in the heart of hormonal angst, and her father's taking classes in college, resulting in two parents who are stressed about money.

So, when Ramona accidentally overhears her teacher call her a “show-off” and a “nuisance,” she doesn't
Jane
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been a fan of Beverly Cleary since I was a little kid. I love and enjoy all her book's, but I have to confess that this one has always been my favorite.
It begins with Ramona starting the third grade. She is exited because she will be riding the bus by herself. In this book she meets the boy she name's Yard Ape.
The hard part for Ramona is getting along with Willa Jean.
Some of my favorite moments are the hard boiled egg incident, and when the girl's have to make dinner one night, be
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
Yaaay, Ramona's 8! And Beezus is dealing with growing pains of her own... actually, the whole family is dealing with growing pains, both as a whole and as individuals, so this was a nice book in the Ramona series dealing with realistic problems. There's a reason the Ramona books are so loved, and the author has done a consistently good job with this series.
Mariel
Mar 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: life movie stars
Recommended to Mariel by: don't even remember. Probably me 'cause I was cool
Ramona was my heroine. I just adored her. I read every book (published before I turned ten. I've not read the new ones) multiple times. I'd hide them under my desk and pretend that I wasn't reading. I pretended that I was sleeping, sometimes. That was probably worse, but kid me didn't really think of that. Y'see, I did all the wrong things just like Ramona.

Coolest things about Ramona from my memories (books may overlap) :
I loved how she'd pretend that a camera was on her at all
Sophie Crane
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: women-in-h-f
This book is so fun and interesting. You learn a lot about Ramona and her family. It is also so easy and hard to read at th same time like it has really good details about Ramona like how she felt an ho an e was acting. Also in some parts when you read the author Beverly Cleary tries to make you think about what's happening and see if you could picture the scene in your head cause then, for me it helps me understand a lot more what's happening. I actually love this book is good for adults and ch ...more
Tina
May 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ones-reviewed
For my eighth birthday, a box arrived from my aunt in Los Angeles, and she had sent me this book. Every defining experience Ramona Quimby went through was mine, even though I was living a life totally different than hers. It's obvious that Ms. Cleary's straightforward language and writing talent will live on as long as reading exists. Several years ago, I myself gifted it to my husband's then eight year old little sister, and had the pleasure of seeing her running through the woods of their home ...more
Janete
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books
Ramona is a very lovely, intelligent and cute girl. And her family is great too! It would be good if every family would get along so well and would stick always together. This reading was difficult for me at the beginning because the vocabulary is a little complex to an English learner and I finished that only with the help of an audiobook.
Jessica
I remember reading this book when I was eight, and feeling so thrilled that I was reading a book just for me.
snowplum
Jul 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would like to write a review in the spirit of participating in a discussion about whether this book is "dated" and what, if anything, that means for today's young readers.

(Though first let me get out of the way the fact that this IS unquestionably a delightful book, as is the whole Ramona series up to this point. Cleary is a brilliant writer who has crafted a young protagonist who honestly and often humorously depicts the kind of excitement that most people only ever feel when they
Blake Nelson
May 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Listening to it in my car. Stockard Channing does the narration. I have always said, and still believe the Channing/Ramona combo is the the greatest achievement ever in audiobooks.
Redshirt Knitting
Jul 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Wow! I loved the Ramona Quimby books when I was a kid. (Who didn't?) But I'm pretty sure the last time I read this book, I too was 8. Reading it as an adult is a completely different experience.

The book is still hilarious, but it's an entirely different set of jokes that cracked me up. The book is thick with a deadpan humor that's obviously meant to appeal solely to adults. Mad props to Beverly Cleary for writing something that is literally fun for all ages.

On the darker
Destinee Sutton
This seemed sort of dated to me. It's hard to explain why, but it has something to do with the innocence of the Quimby family. They have some money problems, okay, but everything seemed pretty idealized (particularly Mrs. Quimby making three wholesome meals every day--doesn't that seem straight out of the 1950s?). It's not that the book is overly sweet, it's just that it doesn't have any bite. There were two very funny parts that stood out to me: When Ramona came up with "I can't believe I read ...more
ML
Jan 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book surprised me. I haven't read a children's book in ages, and I was expecting the story to be fluffy and cute. What I actually found was a simple, but accurate view of how a child sees the world - the problems of adults, their own problems (enormously magnified and all consuming) and the joy of being 8 years old, and owning a "Pearly" pink eraser.

This is a great read!
Sam
Aug 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really love Stockton Channing as the audio narrator for this series. She really captures the characters so well, and I am completely enjoying my slow reread of this series. It's still funny, very classic, and still so easy to recommend to younger readers.
Runwright
I quite enjoyed the story of Ramona Quimby navigating through the challenges of being a 3rd grader and becoming responsible for a unique task in her family. I thought the story taught a good lesson that good people aren't always perfect but instead, it shows a realistic view of growing pains from the angle of each family member facing a new phase of life and working to master it.
One of the enduring lessons communicated here is in how Ramona learns to control her impulses but also how she learns
allie
Mar 25, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here Ramona cracks a raw egg on her head, throws up in front of her whole first-grade class, and then learns about being part of a family or something. I once vomited in front of my whole 11th-grade class. Some of us really have it rough, Ramona.
Danielle
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My girls and I listened to this on audiobook and truly enjoyed it. We laughed aloud quite a few times. Such a cute book!
Rachel Fellows
Jun 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
I was 8ish the last time I read this book and it really resonated with me back then. Now, as the mother of an 8 year old girl, I find it still resonates with me. I just really love everything about this book. The humor, the seriousness, the illustrations, the characters, the simple plot, the authenticity.

There is a passage later in the book when Ramona asks her father what he's studying in college and he answers that he's studying Child Psychology and Development. In other words, he's studying
Lindsey Schwanke
The main character in this book is Ramona Quimby who is eight years old and starting the third grade. There are many changes that happen in this point in her life. Money is tight for her family because her father decides to go back to school to get his degree in art and become a teacher. Her mother works at a Doctors office during the day so she can't pick ramona up from school so she has to go over to her friend Howie's house. She hates going over there because Howie's little sister Willa Jean ...more
Kris - My Novelesque Life
Want to do a reread so will review at that time.
Kelly
I have a feeling Mrs. Whaley did some major ass-covering about what Ramona confronted her with. You know how grownups are: great liars to kids when they've been caught.

The last chapter, though, where the old man pays for the family's dinner out made me D:

I love, seriously love, that money comes up over and over. We never see this thing in kid lit today.
Adrianne
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The second of three books the kids and I listened to as we drove through six states this summer.

Yard ape and super foot are endearing names at our house now. I can't believe I read the whole thing! Hahaha!
Janssen
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just LOVE Ramona and this book is one of my favorites. From the egg escapade to the kitten report, I just love it all. Perfect listening in the car this summer.
Joy
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All these years later and Ramona still holds up. I have very fond memories of my rather stern 4th grade teacher reading aloud the Ramona books to us after lunch. When Mrs. Carlson would read aloud we saw this whole either side to her.
Kelly
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I grew up reading the Ramona books, and I still recommend them to students in my elementary library. I think the story, the relationships with her family members, and her antics are timeless.
Kristina Charnecki
Genre: Contemporary Realism

With the all the new changes in the Quimby family, quirky Ramona is just trying to get by as best as she can to help out her family. She constantly worries about the problems faced by her parents, so it is her job to do well in school like her big sister, Beezus, and behave for her after school babysitter, Mrs. Kemp. However certain things like her new teacher, Mrs. Whaley, and Mrs. Kemp’s granddaughter, Willa Jean, are preventing her from doing so. She is
Erin
Nov 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m trying to write a lot these days. Writing things that I feel neither confident about or certain are worth writing, and so I spend a lot of time plagued with self-doubt. Enter Ramona Quimby, whose name I consistently misremember and mispronounce as Ramona Quimbly. I first met Ramona as a child, probably aged 8 or 9. I remember reading her stories and thinking ‘yes!’ and feeling like I understood everything Ramona went through. I loved that bad things happened to Ramona, but that she continued ...more
Brandi Smith
Apr 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beverly Cleary's 6th installment in the Ramona Quimby series received the Newbery Honor in 1982 and the Charlie May Simon Children's Book Award in 1983. The target audience is children ages 5-8(P) and it is a contemporary realistic fiction.
In this installment of the series, Mr.Quimby begins studying to become an art teacher. As a result, Ramona's mother has to work longer hours, which means Ramona now has to spend the evenings at Howie's house with Grandma Kemp and, of course, Willa Jean.
Annalise
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I never read these as a child, which is a real shame. Once I heard that Beverly Cleary is turning 100 this year and I decided to give the Ramona books a try. I fell in love with Ramona and her family! While reading this memories of my own childhood came flooding back. I can't wait to read the rest of the series.
AlexandriaLibraryVA: Has a book quote ever described your situation perfectly? 3 13 Sep 22, 2015 09:32AM
loveing ramona 17 37 Jul 10, 2013 07:12AM

• Superfudge (Fudge, #3)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Anastasia Again! (Anastasia Krupnik, #2)
  • Hello, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #4)
  • Snowbound With Betsy
  • The Wish Giver: Three Tales of Coven Tree
  • Ten Kids, No Pets
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • The Celery Stalks at Midnight (Bunnicula, #3)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Takes the Cake! (Encyclopedia Brown, #15 1/2)
  • The Great Brain Does it Again (The Great Brain, #7)
  • Rufus M. (The Moffats, #3)
Beverly Cleary (born April 12, 1916) is the author of over 30 books for young adults and children. Her characters are normal children facing challenges that many of us face growing up, and her stories are liberally laced with humour. Some of her best known and loved characters are Ramona Quimby and her sister Beatrice ("Beezus"), Henry Huggins, and Ralph S. Mouse.

Beverly Cleary was bor

Ramona Quimby (8 books)
  • Beezus and Ramona (Ramona, #1)
  • Ramona the Pest (Ramona, #2)
  • Ramona the Brave (Ramona, #3)
  • Ramona and Her Father (Ramona, #4)
  • Ramona and Her Mother (Ramona, #5)
  • Ramona Forever (Ramona, #7)
  • Ramona's World (Ramona, #8)
“He was dressed as if everything he wore had come from different stores or from a rummage sale, except that the crease in his trousers was sharp and his shoes were shined.” 15 likes
“grim. “Plenty.” 0 likes