Start by marking “Between The Strokes Of Night” as Want to Read:
Between The Strokes Of Night

Between The Strokes Of Night

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  326 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
In the 277th century, Earth is dead, but mankind survives in colonies scattered across the galaxy. To these new worlds come the Immortals, beings with strange ties to ancient Earth who seem to live forever, who can travel light years in days -- and who use their strange powers to control the existence of ordinary mortals. On the planet Pentecost, a small group sets out to ...more
Published by Baen (first published July 1985)

Ivan Lutz
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Pocinje izvrsno a tada 60% romana smara do svemira. Knjiga se raspala na tren pa se sastala. ima dobrih hard sf djelova ali preskakao sam stranice to dovoljno govori o svemu. a obecavala je....
Sep 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: HardSF buffs content with fairly weak sociology.
Recommended to Richard by:
Between the Strokes of Night deals with the long-term experiences of humanity as a space-faring race. Its central contribution — not a spoiler, since the opens with this exploration — is an intriguing twist on time and space travel, specifically that by adapting the human body to different temperatures, subjective experience can be changed to stretch a human lifespan over many centuries or millennia.

As far as traditional “hard” science fiction goes, Charles Sheffield does a pretty good job of
Nov 08, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, xcharity-2012
Between The Strokes Of Night is worth the read simply for the scientifically sound means he develops for interstellar travel, very unique yet satisfying and comprehensive. I nearly put this book down in disgust over the silly beginning. Both the dialogue and the scenario were, to me, eye-rolling bad. (However, a global warming acolyte might say just the opposite.) Due to human impact, the world climate changes so much by 2010, causing biblical catastrophes that then result in an earth-destroying ...more
Charlene Bloom, Judith Niles y Wolfgang Gibbs trabajan en un instituto de neurología que estudia el sueño y la suspensión de este a bajas temperaturas. Aunque están haciendo progresos, el proyecto no avanza lo suficientemente rápido. Pero ahí está el multimillonario Salter Wherry, que se dedica a la fabricación de hábitats y arcologías en el espacio, que solicitará sus servicios en exclusiva. Sin embargo, los problemas climáticos, económicos y políticos están llevando la Tierra a su extremo. El ...more
Aug 06, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
By far the most brilliant work of a pretty darn good writer. This is mind-widening science fiction.
Sep 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Charles Sheffield is a new writer to me, in terms of novels. Judging by his award nominations, I think he is known primarily for hard sf short stories and science articles in Analog and similar publications.

There are two editions of the novel available. As originally published in 1987, the ending of the book was consistent with the big bang-big crunch model of the universe. After this was shown to be incorrect in the 1990s, Sheffield revised the novel, completely replacing the ending, and increa
Michael Smith
Nov 16, 2014 rated it did not like it
I’ve always heard good things about Sheffield’s hard-science novels, and I’ve tried several of them, . . . but, somehow, I just can’t get interested in them. The author’s style simply leaves me cold. This one appears to be about finding a way to expand into the far corners of our galaxy without violating the limitation imposed by the speed of light. But I’m not sure about that, really, because I only got about 40% of the way in and then gave up because so little was happening. I was also put off ...more
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
Yet another sci-fi book where the author doesn't know how to write characters or individuals, only people.
The book takes an interesting concept where humanity moves at a slower relative rate in order to extend their lifespan. Although I'm pretty sure this isnt a new concept and I've read the idea before.

The problem is, no one acts like an individual. People (specific) would not stay at the same job performing the same task for tens of thousands of years. People (in general) might, but when you'r
Mar 03, 2010 rated it liked it
Typical sort of bloodless super-sciency stuff from Sheffield. I kind of like him, but in the end it all seems kind of like it's made of plastic. Don't make me define that any better, ok?
James Elliott
Dec 29, 2017 rated it liked it
This was definitely an enjoyable read, packed with some interesting science ideas. I can see where the other reviews are coming from in their objections, but I didn’t find the setup scenario nearly so implausible; to me, ever since reading Kim Stanley Robinson’s “Aurora” the incredible difficulty of maintaining a sustainable environment without a planet-sized ecology looms huge. But that new baseline didn’t exist when this was written, and didn’t detract from my enjoyment of what the story did e ...more
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing novel that has aged well. It challenges the nature of life and death and future and eternity in the physical world and the idea of transcendence.

It opens doors. Few books have such a worthwhile idea to explore. Way up there on my all time list because it really just stuck with me deep.

Mar 25, 2017 added it
Surprisingly good, given the cheesy cover
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction, 2018
Between the Strokes of Night is not what it appears to be. It starts off slow with the usual mix of interplanetary politics but eventually shifts into something completely unexpected. I liked the unique blend of characters and the way that Sheffield handles the moral dance between the continuation of the human species and the potentially deadly side effects of scientific discovery. I recommend this one to anyone who is a fan of deep space science fiction. It's loaded with sound science along wit ...more
Nov 05, 2011 added it
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The primary science fiction idea in this book, that subjective time can be artificially slowed, is brilliant. The technology is introduced in a clever way, and remains important throughout the plot. It keeps the reader thinking.

I give Sheffield major props for sticking, as best he could, to hard science fiction in this story! I'd like to personally thank him for it. But there were, of course a few physics mistakes in the book.

1. The characters living in S-space (their lives slowed down by a fact
Jun 13, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Este libro lo compre un sabado que ibamos a ir a la feria del libro, pero oh coincidencia, justo "tocaba" Violetta ahi atras del zoo, por lo que estaba lleno de gente. Literalmente 20 cuadras de cola para entrar a la feria del libro. 20 fucking cuadras. De ninguna manera. Agarre mi plata y me fui a comprar libros al "mini shopping de lectores" que hay enfrente. Ahi fue donde compre este libro y como 15 mas. Si tengo un leve problema con la compra de libros.
En fin.
El libro esta muy bueno. Es cien
Nov 09, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
The thread running through the entire book is the idea of slowing body processes so the individual's life will last until a later year. (The person lives in very "slow motion" - it's not necessarily that they live for a greater number of heartbeats or personal experiences.) That by itself isn't a high reading priority for me. We do get some glimpses of very advanced or far future visions. I wasn't entirely satisfied with them being just glimpses. The background story for the characters and slow ...more
Gary Holt
Dec 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book, mostly (as others have said) because it is one of the few books to explore a plausible way to travel the galaxy without going faster than the speed of light. (This is interesting from a scientific point of view because faster-than-light travel breaks causality, at least according to special relativity; faster-than-light travel in one reference frame is equivalent to time-travel in another reference frame.)

The other thing that I found particularly memorable about book is
Aurora Lector (reading in twilight)
Fantastic! This is the Science Fiction I am most enthusiastic about. The story is terribly interesting, even as a hypothetical science, and a sad begining, 2010 is the 'end' of earth, this is maybe a tiny bit like Hunger Games when part two starts--it may seem so--but it quickly develops with interesting action and good story-telling. You will be close with the characters right until the end.
Feb 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
As the first 'hard' sci-fi book I ever read, Between The Strokes of Night holds a special place in my heart. I view the book as containing the essence of sci-fi: it takes a major scientific advancement that we don't have today and theorizes the wide-reaching effects it would have on society as a whole. Quite a good read.
Fredrick Danysh
Dec 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
The Earth has become overcrowded and can no longer support its population. Mankind must look to the stars but some kind of suspended animation is required. As a research institute dedicated to such study moves to a space station, nuclear war breaks out on Earth. Now success is imperative.
Robert Ruppert
Dec 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Good hard science fiction, actually sped up my reading as time went on because it was getting better and better. Liked the speculative science, the adventure and the outcome. Glad this was recommended to me by GOODREADS.COM.
Martijn Van
Oct 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Cool book, can reccommend
David Cassel
Aug 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Interesting take on how to beat the faster-than-light problem.
Aug 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I enjoyed this book. It kept my interest.
Science Fiction
Apr 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Interesting mechanic to enable star travel without breaking known physics or inventing a new trick...
David C. Mueller
Sep 02, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: sf-misc-authors
Interesting look at living at vastly different metabolic speeds and how this affects a human star-faring culture. Keep my interest enough for me to plan to read more work by the author.
Craig Russo
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio
Very unique story.
Hard SF: * BotM: "Between the Strokes of Night" by Charles Sheffield 3 32 Sep 21, 2011 08:58PM
  • The Patchwork Girl
  • The Lifeship
  • Manhattan Transfer
  • Downtiming the Night Side
  • City of Darkness
  • Transition
  • Jupiter Project (Jupiter Project, #1)
  • Planet of No Return
  • Schild's Ladder
  • The Nitrogen Fix
  • Times Without Number
  • The Two Faces of Tomorrow
  • Santiago: A Myth of the Far Future (Santiago #1)
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Tenth Annual Collection
  • Retief and the Warlords (Retief, #4)
  • Brightness Falls from the Air
  • Murasaki
  • Probability Sun (Probability, #2)
Charles A. Sheffield (June 25, 1935 – November 2, 2002), was an English-born mathematician, physicist and science fiction author. He had been a President of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America and of the American Astronomical Society.

His novel The Web Between the Worlds, featuring the construction of a space elevator, was published almost simultaneously with Arthur C. Clarke's novel
More about Charles Sheffield...

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Silent Shield (Kingfountain #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Gateway to Fourline (The Fourline Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Scourge of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Nightstalkers (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Book of Truths (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Rift (Area 51: Nightstalkers, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Forsaken Throne (Kingfountain #6)
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Rebel Genius
    $6.38 $2.99
  • Time Patrol (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #4)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The King's Traitor (Kingfountain, #3)
  • Fear the Drowning Deep
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hollow Crown (Kingfountain #4)
  • Moving Mars
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Lion Hunter (The Lion Hunters, #4)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Forge of God (Forge of God, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Blood Rose Rebellion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Winter Prince (The Lion Hunters Novels)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Final Trade (The Dominion Trilogy, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Flamecaster (Shattered Realms, #1)
    $4.09 $1.99
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
  • Timequake