Start by marking “Alone Yet Not Alone” as Want to Read:

Alone Yet Not Alone

Autumn of 1755 bestowed to the Leiningers’ world, not only its rich beauties, but also a rewarding harvest. On this particular day the whole valley seemed to rejoice in the fullness of the season—but suddenly Barbara and Regina’s peaceful frontier life is changed forever. General Braddock and his army had been defeated and soon the Pennsylvania settlers would suffer the bl ...more
Published August 1st 2003 by His Seasons

To ask other readers questions about Alone Yet Not Alone, please sign up.
Gloria Indeed! The author is the great granddaughter of Barbara Leininger, the main character.

Abigail
Apr 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Bethany
Warning: the following review may contain spoilers

I don't usually like to pay as much for books as I did for this one, but having seen and loved the film adaption I badly wanted to read the actual story. And as it turned out, the book was worth every cent!

Alone Yet Not Alone is the story (based on true events that happened to ancestors of the author) of two young German sisters who settle with their family in Pennsylvania, during the French and Indian war. Their house is invaded by hostile India
Mikayla
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a sweet story, and I loved how vivid everything was. I did not know it was based on a true story when I started, so the large time jumps bugged me. I espechilly did not like nearer the end when the characters got in trouble, and then we suddenly jump six weeks, and only hear about how they got out. That was rather disappointing.
Overall, it was a cool story, and would be great for teaching kids history.
Age Appropriate For: 8 and up
Best for Ages: 8-15

This is based on a true story. It is the kind of story one would expect to have been made up. Yet, isn’t it just like God? His stories are always amazing, and his provision for his children often leaves me speechless. The almost impossibility of this story is what is amazing.

Clearly, this book is targeted for youth. While young-adults and even adults might find it interesting, youth will get the most out of it. The style of the story is simple, yet
Star Shining Forever
Aug 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians, children, history fans, people who like frontier/Western tales, historical fiction fans
Wonderful book! I really enjoy tales of the frontier and pioneers making their way in the wild. After an Indian attack, two young girls are stolen away from their home by their family's murderers. Taken captive and forced to endure even more brutality, they cling to their faith and to the hope of escape. Blessed with protection in the Indian camp, they nonetheless watch and prepare for a harrowing journey back to civilization. God's miracles and protection are evident throughout their adventures ...more
Bethany
This is the true story of Barbara and Regina Leininger.
Captured by Indians and separated by everyone they know, including each other. They refuse to loose hope of seeing their family reunited again. They cling to their faith in God, knowing that they are truly never alone.
This story is fascinating especially because it is based off of a true story that actually occurred in the author's family history however I thought that the simple writing style did the story no justice.
I do think it would be
Emma Grace
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars! (Maybe) review at some point...
Lisa Godfrees
Is anyone else as fascinated with Indian lore as I am? This based-on-a-true-story book takes place during the Penn’s Creek Massacre of 1755 during the French and Indian war. Alone Yet Not Alone is the survival story of three girls who are captured by Indians and their quest to return to their families. It is also the story of the author’s, Tracy Leininger Craven’s, family.

Theology: God is always with you

The theme of Alone Yet Not Alone is based on Deuteronomy 8:2 “Remember how the Lord your God
Kathleen
Jun 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
First of all this book is a short, easy read. I believe it was written for the Young Adult group, which I didn't realize when I started it.

What I did like about this book was it had nothing in it that would be objectionable for your "tween" to read. It had a positive, optimistic outlook on the hardships of life.

What I didn't like about it was that the positive, optimism wasn't balanced with any internal struggles that we humans have when we go through difficulties.

Since this happens in the first
Dana
We are currently studying the French & Indian War and I came across this book. The author, a young lady who was homeschooled, had heard about her ancestor who had been kidnapped by Indians during the war. Both her and her sister survived years of captivity and the author decided to retell their story. (One of the two had written her own account of this time.)

Early in the book some Indians attack the Leninger homestead and take Barbara, age 12, and Regina, age 9, captive. Despite the girls'
Autumn Slaght
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Autumn by: Mamma
I have read this book again and again and again, but it never stops being dear to my heart. It is a very well written style, and it certainly tests your faith and reminds us that even though we are alone, we are never truly alone for God is with us. It has it's very intense moments, but even children can read this book.
Anne G.
I enjoyed the story very much. But I would have liked to have it go into more details, fill in the gaps esp. since it is a true story. Now that I know it is actually a book for teens, I understand why it is written as it is. Would have loved an adult version though.
Mary
Dec 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes historical fiction
Recommended to Mary by: Bookmooch
Nestled high among the Blue Mountains of Pennsylvania, lies a lush green valley which the Native Americans have named Buffalo Valley. Very few immigrants have managed to tame the wilderness of the American frontier to settle in such a lush valley - named Penn's Creek by the settlers - yet the handful of settlers who were successful had lived peacefully among themselves and with their Native American neighbors for many years. One such family of settlers was the Leininger family; recently arrived ...more
Jalynn Patterson
About the Book:
The Leininger family settled deep within America's new frontier in the Blue Mountains of Pennsylvania. A sudden Indian raid changed their lives forever. This story retells the heroic and daring escape of Barbara Leininger, and the touching reunion with her sister, Regina, after nine years. It also gives us an endearing portrayal of the love between family members and the strength of childhood memories. Father and Mother Leininger's commitment to 'hide' God's Word in the hearts of
Waven
This is a short and very easy read. Unfortunately, those may be the kindest things I can say for it. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't very good. The family introduced in the opening chapters is as flat and plastic-perfect as a department store window display. The characters are similarly rendered, like mannequins posed and positioned for each scene with sadly artificial dialogue. Once the action begins, the story and telling both improve but not greatly. As another reviewer noted, the passage of ti ...more
Brandi (Rambles of a SAHM)
Alone Yet Not Alone is a compelling story of faith and endurance. The story of Barbara and Regina Leininger and the other young captives is terrifying and at the same time inspiring. It is hard to imagine ones so young experiencing what they did and not only surviving it but thriving in the aftermath.

The fact that this story is based on a true-life account makes this book all the more appealing to me. I think it would be a great read for tweens and older. It does have depictions of murder and ev
Diana Montgomery
By: Tracy Leininger Craven
Their faith became their freedom

Alone Yet Not Alone is an inspirational, true story of a family caught in the cross fire of the French and Indian War.
The Leininger family leaves Germany to settle in America the land of the free. They left because in America they would be slave to no man and free to live as God sees best. So they thought. There were Indian’s but they was not to fear them cause they were not at war with them. Then while sitting at meal
Anna Oldham
Sep 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! 5* for sure! But it kinda went too fast, if you know what I mean. It was a clumped together... it wasn't long and drawn out. But the book is one of the best Christian books I've ever read! Amazing!
Jodi
Jan 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked that this book was written by a distant relative. The story is such a inspirational retelling of Barbara and Regina life experience of being captured by Indians in 1755. They learned that God will provide even in the most trying circumstances.
J Allyn
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
The story is good, the message is good, the writing is not good.
LaDonna Harris
Aug 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great and well told story!
Amy Best
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
My daughter read this book several years ago (at about age 9) and ever since has been telling me that I need to read it. I finally did and thoroughly enjoyed the amazing true story!
Tara Henery
This was a great story. We used it as out homeschool read aloud. I can't wait for the DVD to be released.
Ebookwormy1
I was torn as to whether to label this book historical fiction or non-fiction. Told in concrete terms by a great-grand daughter of the protagonist in seeks to record as much as is known about the kidnapping of the Leininger sisters in 1755 from Penn's Creek, PA. Not only were their father and brother killed creating a devastating tragedy for the family, the raids marked the beginning of the French & Indian War (USA) or 7 Years War (Canada, France and England) which rocked the English colonie ...more
Deirdre
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this beautiful novel. In fact it was more of a novella. Based on a true story set in 1755 in Pennsylvania, Barbara and her younger sister Regina’s lives are torn apart when their home and family are destroyed by Indians. The two girls are captured and so the story begins.

The story stays with Barbara for the entire novel and rips along at a cracking pace. Barbara’s character is well drawn and you root for her and Regina all the way through. It is only her faith in Jesus Christ that
Betty
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The copy of the book I had was only 150 pages. lt is a story of two young German American girls who were captured by a band of Allegheny Indians when they raided their family's farm, and killed their father and brother.
The story tells of the sisters being separated and how they relied on their faith in God to help them survive. Barbara, the oldest daughter escaped captivity after 3.5 years. The younger sister, Regina was released from captivity after a treaty was signed with the Indians to rele
Ellen
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
There have been other books about white kids held captive by Indians during the French and Indian War. Like those books, this one takes the reader into the same hair-raising circumstance, but this time also brings along the faith that sustains them during hard times. In some ways, this book paled to others in its genre, but the appeal of showing kids how faith in Jesus Christ can sustain them even in the most difficult circumstances is so valuable. It's a worthy addition to a family library.
Fourkid
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Set in Frontier America during the French and Indian War, this is the story of two sisters carried away by a band of warriors. It is told from the viewpoint of the elder sister, Barbara. It is technically listed as juvenile fiction, but the story is compelling and based on a true incident, and any age reader would enjoy it immensely; I know I did.
Ellie
Mar 22, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was good. You could definitely feel for the characters, and some parts of the plot line were very exciting. I liked how the main character would never give up, even when things seemed at their worst. I would recommend this book to people who like historical books and informative stories with action. Overall, this book was decent.
Gloria Blackman
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thrilling and encouraging

Grateful that she was able to research family history so this wonderful story is available to us. Emphasizes the importance of planting God’s word in your heart as a child.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Shadow of His Hand: a Story Based on the Life of Holocaust Survivor Anita Dittman (Daughters of the Faith Series)
  • King's Arrow (Crown and Covenant, #2)
  • The Princess Adelina: An Ancient Christian Tale of Beauty & Bravery
  • Ten P's in a Pod: The Million-Mile Journal of a Home School Family
  • To Have and to Hold: A Tale of Providence and Perseverance in Colonial Jamestown
  • Jacob Deshazer: Forgive Your Enemies
  • The Hidden Hand
  • Making Brothers and Sisters Best Friends: How to Fight the Good Fight at Home
  • Under Drake's Flag: A Tale of the Spanish Main
  • Raider's Promise (Viking Quest, #5)
  • The Basket of Flowers: A Tale for the Young
  • The Lamplighter
“Surely this trial is just for a season. All I need is the strength to endure — to see through the darkness of winter to the promise of spring.” 5 likes
“Each of you will have times of testing in your life. But you must always remember — no matter how difficult the trial or how dense the wilderness — God will never leave you. If your hearts remain true, God promises endless blessings.” 4 likes