Start by marking “Living with Kundalini: The Autobiography of Gopi Krishna” as Want to Read:
Living with Kundalini: The Autobiography of Gopi Krishna

Living with Kundalini: The Autobiography of Gopi Krishna

This classic first-person account of spiritual awakening was first published under the title Kundalini: The Evolutionary Energy in Man —here expanded with two-thirds new material drawn from the author's writing to make a complete autobiography.
Published November 9th 1993 by Shambhala (first published January 1st 1971)

Michael
Mar 20, 2007 rated it really liked it
Hmmmm... this book helped me a lot at a time I had opened a door, a pathway inside, that once opened I couldn't close. This book helped me realize I didn't have to fight it. For those not on that path this book will seem meaningless and very esoteric.
Jun 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Little did I realize that from that day onwards I was never to be my old normal self again, that I had unwittingly and without preparation or even adequate knowledge of it roused to activity the most wonderful and stern power in man, that I had stepped unknowingly upon the key to the most guarded secret of the ancients, and that thenceforth for a long time I had to live suspended by a thread, swinging between life on the one hand and death on the other, between sanity and insanity, between ligh ...more
Walt
May 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Apparently, Kundalini energy can be present and active at birth. Those with this activated energy can live a life of hardship (pgs 58-59) from childhood until that time in life when by way of their many hardships they come to terms with life and embrace what they have been given. This included their gifts and talents. Yet they also recognize what they are given is not theirs, but to be used in the service of others. These two pages made the book worth while.
Susan
Oct 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This is the most astonishing tale of a spiritual journey written in the 20th century. Gopi Krishna relates his life story with honesty and humility, and is responsible for making the ancient Sanskrit and tantric system of Kundalini understandable to the modern world. Based on his own incredible experience, and the changes he went through both in body and mind, he is sure that the brain is still undergoing organic evolution and has untapped potentialities still waiting to be discovered. This make ...more
D.S. West
Gopi Krishna's story is captivating. The psychological commentary see-saws between providing valuable insight into Gopi's transformation and boring you crazy until the primary narrative resumes.

This text has been on my mind all week since I (finally) started it. I like the lack of adherence to spiritual tradition; it lends the story an authentic feel. The horrors that accompany spiritual progress, we can call it tapasia if we want to use a $64 word, are described beautifully here. It's not all t
Murali
Feb 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Experiences of a ordinary householder on having the kundalini suddenly awakened.
Very clearly written - does not dwell much on concepts.
Mostly covers his own experience as seen by him.
Brandon Peele
Jul 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mind blowing account of the physical phenomena corresponding to awakening.
carmelia
Apr 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual
This is the second book that I read on the subject of Kundalini Awakening, which is an account of the the personal experience of the author.
I found it to be very helpful which also seemed to be clear, non-delusive and an honest confession compared to a couple of books by other authors.
A passage from the book which I found to be true---
"It was only now that I really began to recognise myself, the being who about a year before had sat in meditation, bent on invoking the supersensible,little knowin
Joanna
Oct 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
wonderful autobiography of Gopi Krishna's experiences with meditation, energy and evolution. gives accounts of the good and bad effects both emotionally and physically, insights to humanity's potential and explanations for physical practices of yoga beyond better abs.
Nick
Jan 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really interesting/inspiring. Gets a bit heavy at times but if you trudge through it you'll be happy you did. If you read this book with an open mind it could certainly change the course of your life. Required reading for anyone practicing meditation or Kundalini yoga.
Y_M_A
Aug 01, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
intriguing and thought provoking...love it!
David Melik
This was the standard late 1900s book on the topic.
Carmen
Dec 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a God send. Saved me from insanity.
K.G.
I give his book 3.5 stars. It was interesting but dragged on at times.

If you dabble in yoga on the weekends and are wondering about the deeper aspects, you'll want to give this a read.

Gopi Krishna was born in 1903 and his perspective on the changes and challenges to society are fascinating.

This sage questions himself and his experiences. He vividly describes the long-lasting physical, emotional and spiritual effects, showing both the benefits and potential negatives and personal costs to his l
Elizabeth Andrew
Jul 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: spirituality
On the one hand, I'm grateful for Krishna's careful depiction of awakening kundalini because it confirms my own. On the other, I found his tale irritatingly isolated. Other than some Tantric texts, he offers no scriptural sources and no external authorities to corroborate his experience or contextualize kundalini's arousal in more general spiritual development. And this book is flabby with unnecessary rants. Nonetheless I'll keep this one on my shelves; it's an example of spiritual memoir as tes ...more
Stephen Coates
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Krishna's account of his own experience with the Kundalini, [after which he went on to write a number of excellent non-autobiographical books] which is arguably the same as the Christian Holy Spirit, is largely consistent with the description of higher or cosmic consciousness described by Bucke.
Jag
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, I don't understand all the favorable reviews. Very verbose, repetitive, and self-interested prose written like books in the early 1800s. It's incredible that it was written in the 1960s or 70s. Good to read the beginning but highly skimmable.
Gudrun Mouw
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The subject is important; the style, however seems ponderous. Also, I. don't believe that the radiance one sees everywhere as a result of Kundalini opening comes from me. I believe this radiance is the essence of everything. Still, there hasn't been enough written about this subject.
Prakash Murthy
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating first-person account of Kundalini awakening and unfolding over a dozen years. The detailed treatment of the intricacies of this esoteric experience makes for a very good read. Also, a very interesting framing of the whole experience as a next step in the evolution of humankind.
Bart
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Would that Kundalini empowered editing much as writing.
Mo Raei
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book that helps you understand, nit just Kundalini, but also Yoga, and Hinduism.

Hillman's commentary provides western psychological contrast and perspective.
Wendy
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.75 stars. Interesting but wordy and frequently veers away from telling his story to dwelling on his thoughts about what things might mean or what the government or scientists should do.
Shelby Aranyi
Concept is fascinating but the writing is quite dense. Ended up skimming most of the text.
L.Y.
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mind-shaper
Read it in one breath. Wish I had read it, when I was going through similar hardships.
The end was a little bit disappointing for me, maybe I was looking for a solution or some magic formula, though clearly believe that there is not one, each person should walk its own path.
It's astonishing how this book had an opposite effect and in one day made me change my mind and stop chasing the path selected more than five years ago. Maybe over time I'll again change my mind.
Onefinemess
OK I wrote most of this like two months ago, so for the most part I’ve forgotten where i was going…but I’ll see if I can patch it together if only to get it out the door.

The story of how I got this book is worth telling. Mostly because I don’t even remember half of it:

Somewhere during my devouring of various texts in grad school, I came across a reference to this book, and so used Amazon’s “wish list” to make a note for myself of this. I used to just use it to keep lists of books that I found in
Shyaam Kalbik
Gopi Krishna's account of his personal experience of spiritual transformation as a result of spontaneously awakening his kundalini life force is definitely worth reading. He describes how difficult and lonely his spiritual journey was without the guidance of a spiritual leader and his reluctance to share his experience with friends and family fearing social consequences.

While interpreting his experience, Krishna drew wisdom from both ancient yogic accounts and modern science, theorizing, althoug
Shannon
Jan 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author renders a fascinating first-hand account of his kundalini awakening. I detect great sincerity in his writing--it is interesting that he found the experience to be quite terrifying, especially since he had no guru or guide, and that he considered it to be more organic than other-worldly. One of his views that I admire greatly is that attachment is a positive thing--that has been a sticky issue for me with some Eastern philosophy. Ramakrishna, for example, told people to distance themse ...more
Ioana
Apr 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“[...]Uluit, încântat, mi-am întors privirea spre alte direcţii pentru a fi din nou fascinat de reflexul argintat ce transfigura toate lucrurile. Cu siguranţă, eram martorul unei faze noi a transformării mele. Lumina, pe care o observasem din toate părţile şi pe toate obiectele, nu emana din ele, ci trebuia să fie, fără nici o îndoială, proiecţia propriei mele luminozităţi interioare.”

O lucrare ce nu doar că abundă de experienţe incredibile, ci şi de explicaţii, analize şi sinteze ale cunoştinţe
Gusmenary
Mar 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book was one I kept reading the first chapter to, feel inspired and then put down for another three months. This time I went for it and soldiered through. The subtle logic and unrutted way of explaining the finer points on how to simply- be a good person are incredible and I'm trying to incorporate more of this type of philosiphy ino my life. Being already consumed with ego this is difficult, but I recommend it to anyone who wants to feel and take advantage of a fresh start.
secondwomn
borrowed from brendan. i found elements of this misogynistic and self-important. it was also very honest. but overall it read more like this guy's life than like a spiritual exploration. the jungian commentary appended to the book is interesting. eh.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Tantra: The Path of Ecstasy
  • The Spiritual Teaching of Ramana Maharshi
  • Tantric Yoga and the Wisdom Goddesses: Spiritual Secrets of Ayurveda
  • Forgotten Truth: The Common Vision of the World's Religions
  • Mother Teresa's Secret Fire: The Encounter That Changed Her Life, and How It Can Transform Your Own
  • Mudras: Yoga in Your Hands
  • Turtle Feet
  • The Psychology of Kundalini Yoga: Notes of the Seminar Given in 1932
  • Hindu Goddesses: Visions of the Divine Feminine in the Hindu Religious Tradition
  • Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha
  • Arrow of the Blue-Skinned God: Retracing the Ramayana Through India
“Little did I realize that from that day onwards I was never to be my old normal self again, that I had unwittingly and without preparation or even adequate knowledge of it roused to activity the most wonderful and stern power in man, that I had stepped unknowingly upon the key to the most guarded secret of the ancients, and that thenceforth for a long time I had to live suspended by a thread, swinging between life on the one hand and death on the other, between sanity and insanity, between light and darkness, between heaven and earth.” 8 likes
“I suffered unbearable torture in silence, weeping internallyat the sad turn of events, blaming myself bitterly again and again for having delved into the supernatural without first acquiring a fuller knowledge of the subject and providing against the dangers and risks of the path.” 6 likes